tempest hacks for single 27256 ROM, 27512 ROM with and without Tempest Tubes posted

paladin-ng

Sep 25, 2008, 12:48:56 AM9/25/08
Hello all, a couple weeks ago I was looking for info on how to do the
tempest single ROM hack....
after searching many many many hours I could not find any info on
this. (though I found info on many other single ROM hacks :)

anyway, I knew this hack existed (we know Clay Cowgill's Multi-tempest
exists) and Mark S, responded back he once posted the info before.
Never the less I could not find info on how to do this hack ANYWHERE..
and so I decided I was going to figure out what needed to be done for
myself. So armed with the tempest board schematics and a little
computer architecture/engineering classes from 12 or so years ago
during my undergrad degree... I embarked on the journey.

I am happy to say I've figured it out and it works. I wrote up my own
page of the steps to take and "why" (in case others want to understand/
learn too.

I've wrote up the "single 27256 hack" (replacing the 10 2516 ROMS with
a single 27256 ROM (Which I"ve tested) along with a hack (untested but
trivially different) to use a 27512, and also how to put both tempest
"normal" and "tempest tubes" in a single 27512 switchable via a switch
(also untested... but only trivially different from the single 27256
hack.

again I'm not claiming to be the first, I know it's been done before,
I'm just posting it if there's anyone like me out there who was trying
to find info on this and could not come up with any valid links to
find the info they needed. I have also done some explaination of "why"
you takes some of the steps... I plan on expanding on this so each
step is explained when I have some more time, so that people who are
trying to learn this kind of stuff will have an step by step
explanation to help them understand how it works.

the page is at

http://www.paladingrp.com/brianb/board_hacks/tempest.html

enjoy.

-brian