rare games

joe.m...@ameritech.com

Jul 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/24/97

My $.02 worth on truly rare games. I have only two nominations, and you
may not consider either since one is only a board and the other is only a
variation (but verified original manufactor issued equipment).

1) Super Missile Attack - This is a daughterboard add-on for Missile
Command that makes for more attackers. I've never even seen it. Rick is
the only one listed in VAPS with one. I have found two other people
that have one, but one don't want to sell it, and the other wants lots for
a single board!

2) Deluxe Space Invaders w/joystick - Back in the 1979-1980 era, went I
literally went to the arcades every single day, I came across a DSI that
used a joystick to move your ship from side to side. This was the first
DSI I ever saw, I never saw another like it, and I never saw another DSI
again for at least six weeks. I asked the arcade owner about it and he
told me that it was delivered direct from the manufacturer (Bally), he
unpacked it himself, and that he got it and just put it on the floor that
week. It definitely looked like original equipment (the control panel had
only one hole for the joystick instead of two for two buttons), and this
operator did have a history of having test version of games (I remember
him mentioning being friends or having connections with Bally and Williams
people). BTW, the joystick was incredibly difficult to play. Instead of
going the opposite direction on the flick of a button, the time it took to
move the joystick from one direction to the other slowed you down enough
to near impossible after the first three screens. Probably why they
changed it back. Anyone ever see this one?

Joe