Gravitar

Michael Paris

Mar 5, 2008, 10:48:58 AM3/5/08
Is this machine rare?? I found one looks brand new, but the guy is
trying to say it's a rare game to find even working. He is asking
1200.00. Thanks

Paladin

Mar 5, 2008, 11:27:23 AM3/5/08

It's an Atari vector monitor game, and they tend to have monitor
problems. It is by no means rare though, and he's asking double what
it's worth.

protoVision

Mar 5, 2008, 1:16:29 PM3/5/08

These are not rare and the guy is asking $1200 for a $400-500 ($600
absolute tops in mint condition) game. The monitors in Atari vectors
are just fine - not sure what Paladin is referring to. If you have a
WG6100 that's never been kitted then it might be troublesome (at
times.)

microlo...@yahoo.com

Mar 5, 2008, 2:53:16 PM3/5/08

if a whole one is worth 1200 then my empty cab must be worth atleast
200! but i'll make you a special RGVAC deal and sell it to you for
$150 :)

Rob Carroll

Mar 5, 2008, 3:36:03 PM3/5/08
On Mar 5, 1:16 pm, protoVision <sirus.co...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rare? Maybe not (compared to, say, Reactor, Chiller, dedicated
Havocs)... but they're not exactly common, either. In any event, the
monitor alone is probably worth $350... the board another $100-150...
I could go on, but I definitely think $400 is a total lowball, unless
the cabinet is total garbage or it's not working. I'd say $600-750
for a nice one, $500 for the it-is-what-it-is-maybe-you-can-clean-it-
up variety.

My 25¢,
Rob

Jon Edwards

Mar 5, 2008, 4:40:30 PM3/5/08
On Mar 5, 9:48 am, Michael Paris <twinm...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I would say it is uncommon compared to other atari vector games but
definitely not worth 1200.00. About 7-8 years ago I traded a guy a
gravitar to a guy who was a fan of the game for a Joust 2 and I
thought Joust 2 was a heck of a lot rarer than Gravitar.
Later,
Jon

Nate Goulet

Mar 5, 2008, 9:50:25 PM3/5/08

Prices have been fluctuating on these. I'm in the market for either a
Gravitar, Space Duel or Black Widow myself. Location also makes a
difference.

When I first started watching them more than 5 years ago, $800 for one
in nice shape was common. Then the prices came down averaging more
like $500 for one in normal working condition. Some people of course
would ask more, but I also noticed some under $500.

2007 seemed to be the first year since i've been collecting that the
market had crashed and I noticed dramatic reductions on classic arcade
machine prices. Interestingly I had just been through a crisis and
really didn't take advantage of the lower prices. Even on Greed-bay
(eBay), I saw a Gravitar in Museum quality. Dubbed nicest ever on
eBay. Went for around $450. It was listed for months and months
before it even sold.

2008 prices seem to be a little higher than 2007, but you should be
able to find a nice one between $400 - $600 without much trouble.
Maybe less. If it's more, it better truely be in mint. Before I was
collecting I was offered a nice one for $300 locally, which I should
have taken.

If anyone between RI & Boston has a Gravitar, Black Widow or Space
Duel forsale in good, clean, nice working condition with a sharp
picture i'd be likely to pay between $400 - $500. I'd still be
interested in a cheaper one too and am waiting to hear back from a
couple people that have offered them to me cheaper but aren't ready to
move them yet (need to put them back together, test, etc). I'm still
interested if your reading this.

Sooner or later i'll end up with one, but obviously not in a rush. .

nategoulet AT ids DOT net

matr...@sover.net

Mar 6, 2008, 8:46:05 AM3/6/08
On Mar 5, 9:50 pm, Nate Goulet <askifyouw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:16:29 -0800 (PST), protoVision

Ha!
I just sold mine this past year that was beautiful.
I had the monitor rebuilt too.
Sold it for 300.00
Bobby

Rob Carroll

Mar 6, 2008, 8:53:47 AM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 8:46 am, matri...@sover.net wrote:
> Ha!
> I just sold mine this past year that was beautiful.
> I had the monitor rebuilt too.
> Sold it for 300.00
> Bobby

So what? Just because you gave yours away, that doesn't set the bar.
Hell, I'll buy Gravs with rebuilt monitors for $300 all day. The
monitor is worth more than that.

You got robbed. Wouldn't brag about that too much.

Rob

jayhawker

Mar 6, 2008, 9:50:49 AM3/6/08

Rob,

I don't know if I would say that about the monitor anymore. I have
been keeping an interested eye on Greedbay pricing for WG6100 monitors
lately because I have a couple I may sell. I haven't seen one sell for
more than $275 and several have sold for around $225, in good
condition and rebuilt. I think because games have taken such a hit
people are parting vectors more readily now so there is more supply of
the monitors and, therefore, less demand and lower prices.

That being said, I haven't seen a mint Gravitar or Space Duel sell for
more than $500 in over 18 months. I bought a real, honest to goodness,
HUO Black Widow this Spring for $400 with an absolute pristine cab
(inside and out) and mint monitor with zero burn-in. So, I think the
$400-$500 range is pretty accurate.

Rob Carroll

Mar 6, 2008, 11:22:25 AM3/6/08
Well, there is apparently a large contingency who hold that
opinion. :^)

At the end of the day, as always, a game is worth what somebody is
willing to pay for it. Or sell it for.

So, we can agree to disagree?

-Rob

protoVision

Mar 6, 2008, 11:38:08 AM3/6/08

Just not true anymore - $350 for a 6100? - maybe with shipping
including. $250-$300 range - shopped. If you can get $350 - more
power to you (and anyone getting that.)

Nate Goulet

Mar 6, 2008, 3:16:27 PM3/6/08
$300 since last year is not uncommon. In nice shape as you say, you
probably could have got a little more for it. Prices in general have
come down a lot however, especially in 2007.
I see them going for more like $400 working frequently.

Condition & location seem to make a difference too. Here in the
general Boston area, asking prices are sometimes higher, but not
always. That is mainly why I haven't bought one yet.

When I see them sell like yours did, and then prices are often higher
here, it doesn't make me jump at the ones here. That being said, I've
missed some deals in the area too. Again, I haven't really been after
one to be in museum quality, but I do want a nice monitor and complete
side art. Cabinet & control panel can be beatup a bit is fine.

Rob had mentioned he did some upgrades on his & could deliver, so i'll
keep that in mind as i'm shopping. If he's interested in doing some
repair work for me on my other machines while he's here, that would
make a difference too. I have a few very close friends that are
experts and could do it, but i'd rather not bother them unless I have
to.

Hopefully 2008 will finally be the year I end up getting one, but if
not I have enough other games to keep me happy.
Space Duel or Black Widow would also be fine by me.

That is basically the last video game i'm after to complete my
collection. Any thing else I end up with wasn't intended from my
original gameroom plans back many years ago. I'm sure i'll still get
a few others at some point.

The other machine i'm after is an EM riffle game such as those made by
Chicago coin, Williams, Midway, etc. 1970s with black light
installed, etc. I only need one of this style.

Nate

microlo...@yahoo.com

Mar 6, 2008, 4:52:05 PM3/6/08
On Mar 6, 3:16 pm, Nate Goulet <askifyouw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That is basically the last video game i'm after to complete my
> collection.

Ahh, if I had a quarter for every time I heard that :)

Nate Goulet

Mar 6, 2008, 9:16:39 PM3/6/08

I know.

I planned on having my own gameroom since the 1970s, and never let go
of that idea until I started buying machines around 2000 when I
finally had a place for them. In the late 70s my Dad had bought a few
antique arcade machines.

I decide on what video games I wanted to buy around the mid 90s, and
pretty much stuck to my list and aquired them all except one or two.

Nate Goulet

Mar 11, 2008, 2:27:36 PM3/11/08

Just for reference, the last Space Duel sold on Greedbay (eBay)
March 9th 2008, for $265 in good working condition. Machine was said
to be working great, good side art. Coin-door needed repainting, CPO
had the common problems at the edges.

Gravitar should be valued about the same. I'd probably prefer SD.
I wouldn't call it mint condition, but i'd be happy to have one in
similar condition with a good monitor and good side art. I can
repaint a coin-door or replace a CPO.

However, I won't rule out spending a bit more but i'm just pointing
this out as we're talking value of these machines. I frequently see
Gravitar & Space Duels selling very affordable compared to a few years
ago.

$1200? Better be brand new.

Nate Goulet

Mar 11, 2008, 2:28:26 PM3/11/08
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:48:58 GMT, Michael Paris
<twin...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Here's a link to the SD that sold for $265 if anyone wants to see it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310028466446&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

Mark C. Spaeth

Mar 11, 2008, 2:50:21 PM3/11/08

: <twin...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
:
: >Is this machine rare?? I found one looks brand new, but the guy is
: >trying to say it's a rare game to find even working. He is asking
: >1200.00. Thanks
:
: Just for reference, the last Space Duel sold on Greedbay (eBay)
: March 9th 2008, for $265 in good working condition. Machine was said
: to be working great, good side art. Coin-door needed repainting, CPO
: had the common problems at the edges.

I love how you delude yourself with anomalously low priced games on ebay
from sketchy sellers.

That $285 game was in KANSAS... by the game you got it to your door,
you can add at least $300 to the price.

Funny how you didn't quote the price on this one from earlier in the week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160212855140

--
Mark Spaeth msp...@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 msp...@mit.edu

guinn...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2008, 2:53:23 PM3/11/08
> Just for reference, the last Space Duel sold on Greedbay (eBay)
> March 9th 2008, for $265 in good working condition. Machine was said
> to be working great, good side art.

Yeah but Nate did you look at the fine print?
"All local pick-ups will be charged state sales tax + a handling fee."

I wonder what that fee is. Nevertheless 6100's still command $265 or
better working. Topeka, Kansas collectors are very lucky to grab
that...but you're not going to find working Space Duels hammer at $265
in New England. I don't even need one and I'd still do $300.

tim (NH)

Nate Goulet

Mar 11, 2008, 6:01:57 PM3/11/08

>I love how you delude yourself with anomalously low priced games on ebay
>from sketchy sellers.
>
>That $285 game was in KANSAS... by the game you got it to your door,
>you can add at least $300 to the price.
>

>Funny how you didn't quote the price on this one from earlier in the week.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160212855140

I figured i'd be hearing from you.

It is true shipping is very expensive if you need a game shipped, and
never an option if some is concerned about price.

Interestingly I did not see the one for your link above, and i'm glad
you pointed it out. The prices do fuctuate a good amount, and i'd
never say they didn't. The one you sent was in pefect condition.

Guess my point is you can find them affordable in good working
condition, but with some cabinet flaws. I'm perfectly happy with a
few cabinet flaws as long as the side art is complete and could be
touched up. Others might not be.

I'm still considering Rob's Gravitar. It's a little more than i'd
normally pay. If he's able to help me get some of my other machines
going, I will take that into consideration. I'd assume it is probably
in nicer condition than what i'd probably pay $300 - $400 for, and I
think he did a monitor upgrade also.

Mark C. Spaeth

Mar 11, 2008, 5:31:02 PM3/11/08
Nate Goulet <askify...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: I'm still considering Rob's Gravitar. It's a little more than i'd

: normally pay. If he's able to help me get some of my other machines
: going, I will take that into consideration. I'd assume it is probably
: in nicer condition than what i'd probably pay $300 - $400 for, and I
: think he did a monitor upgrade also.

Yikes... so he gets to deliver the game and fix a bunch of your stuff
to make a sale... will he get to rearrange your entire gameroom like
Tim did?

Nate Goulet

Mar 11, 2008, 6:53:14 PM3/11/08

>Yeah but Nate did you look at the fine print?
>"All local pick-ups will be charged state sales tax + a handling fee."

I did not notice that.

>I wonder what that fee is. Nevertheless 6100's still command $265 or
>better working.

Agreed. Generally the monitors alone are worth as much as the whole
machine. The reason for this is people want the machines out of their
way and don't want to be bothered with them. A lot of collectors
fall into this. I have things i'd rather not bother with than make an
effort to try to get top dollar for them if they are not things that I
really appreciate.

With that said, there is no shortable of affordable Space Duels.
Just usually not in NE.

>Topeka, Kansas collectors are very lucky to grab
>that

I see them frequently in other areas cheap. Usually more like $300 -
$400. Sometimes in the $200s and occasionally even less than that.
Occasionally even working.

>.but you're not going to find working Space Duels hammer at $265
>in New England.
> I don't even need one and I'd still do $300.
>tim (NH)

For a good number of collectors but certainly not all, New England for
some reason usually wants more for their games. I have a hard time
understanding the justification for it. Especially Boston area
collectors. I think that is why i've been a bit discouraged and point
out some of the machines i've seen. Is it due to the higher prices on
the housing market? I don't see this same pattern with other things I
collect. Seems like they should be about the same price in any area
of the USA.

I live in RI so i'm a bit away from Boston, but it's not too far and I
see more machines there.

It doesn't make me want to buy when I see a steal in one area and a
very high price somewhere else. My way of thinking is, i'll wait
until the prices are logical.

Generally, I collect machines that do not have perfect cabinets and I
pay reaonable prices, but i'm not all out only to get the steal of the
century either. Perhaps machines that have perfect cabinets are
getting double or triple what an otherwise good working machine is
worth. Clearly, you know what i'm not after.

I'm still considering Rob's Gravitar at $650 for the reasons I stated
in my last post. The price i'd have expected to pay would be between
$400 - $500 in this area, and less if I lived elsewhere or wanted to
keep waiting.

I've been offered a working SD for $275, but it is in peices at the
moment. Yes, even in New England, but no, not Boston area.
If I don't end up with this, i'll consider Rob's or another.
I have a friend near me with a Gravitar and another with a SD.
They paid penuts for them. I simply don't want to pay mega-bucks for
mine, but aren't expecting the type of deals they got.

I missed out a month or two ago in Mass a half hour away on a SD
for$400. I watched the buyer pay about $300 or less for it.
I wish he had offered it to me for the $400 he ened up selling it for
since it was close.

By the way Tim, the Asteroids still works great. I really appreciated
the trade and your efforts. Thanks.

Have you had any luck getting the Spy Hunter cockpit going yet?
I'd like to come by and see your collection sometime i'm considering a
trip see Peter Hirschberg's Luna City this year. What an awesome
gameroom.

Nate

Nate Goulet

Mar 11, 2008, 8:32:11 PM3/11/08

>Yikes... so he gets to deliver the game and fix a bunch of your stuff
>to make a sale... will he get to rearrange your entire gameroom like
>Tim did?

Actually Mark,

He offered to be kind and take a look if I brought some of the parts
to him. He's not obligated to do anything.

If I had the electronics skills, i'd be happy do the same to help
others.

I know that is likely beyond your comprehension that someone could be
so kind, and your primary interest in this hobby seems to be making a
quick buck as a dealer and that you believe all collectors must be
rich to be in this hobby or they don't belong in it.

Why not put your MIT education to better use and do something positive
for people with it, make the world a better place instead of acting
like a kid?

The reason Mark is always quick to attack me is because he offered to
sell me a machine years ago, way higher than the typical market value
and I pointed out to him that some machines are being sold for much
less, maybe 1/3 of what he wanted for his.

Next thing you know, i'm getting attacked by him no matter what I post
or what I say. Dozens of others on the list have simply blocked him,
probably because of the same scenario.

All he had to say was his machine was in mint condition and that's why
it was so much higher, plus he could have pointed out he's in Boston
and likely can get more than some of the others have. I likely would
have understood. And at the same time, he has to understand not all
collectors are rich, don't all collect machines in mint, and that if
you look hard enough, you probably could find them for a lot less.
That would have been End of story.

So if Mark tells you he has a machine for sale and you respond to him
your not interested because it's too expensive, expect to get attacked
for every message you post for the next several years. He probably
has a filter that checks when you post.

I'm not sure what kind of marketing that is on his part, but I can
think of better ways to do business.

Gary V

Mar 11, 2008, 7:57:58 PM3/11/08
For the record there were way more SD's made than Gravitars. Also
sometimes paying more for a local game is well worth it..see the Did I
get screwed DK post.

microlo...@yahoo.com

Mar 11, 2008, 8:22:38 PM3/11/08

all this talk about SD and gravitar makes me want to get me SD and
gravitar cabs put back together and playable :) I've got a question.
It looks like this was talked about once or twice in the past. Is it
possible to convert a SD board to play gravitar? Has anyone done it
before? Even better yet, how about a multigame?

Mark C. Spaeth

Mar 12, 2008, 12:00:14 AM3/12/08
Nate Goulet <askify...@yahoo.com> wrote:

: I know that is likely beyond your comprehension that someone could be

: so kind, and your primary interest in this hobby seems to be making a
: quick buck as a dealer and that you believe all collectors must be
: rich to be in this hobby or they don't belong in it.

You're funny as hell, you know that? Here's a quick quiz for you -- when's
the last time I bought or sold a game? ...yet I'm a dealer who's only
in it to make a quick buck...

: The reason Mark is always quick to attack me is because he offered to

: sell me a machine years ago, way higher than the typical market value
: and I pointed out to him that some machines are being sold for much
: less, maybe 1/3 of what he wanted for his.

No, I offered it to you at market price... you just think you can get
everything for 1/2 market price, and even when people offer you games
at your lowball expected price, you turn them down, thinking you can
find one cheaper elsewhere.

Considering just about every post you make is about a cheap game on ebay
1,500 miles away, and how you think that's how much games in MA should cost,
it's pretty easy to get a chuckle out of your postings.

Mark C. Spaeth

Mar 12, 2008, 12:02:33 AM3/12/08
microlo...@yahoo.com <microlo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Grav + Black Widow is trivial since they're the same board...

I looked into doing something with SD in the past, but I don't remember
what the upshot was...

Nate Goulet

Mar 12, 2008, 2:34:42 AM3/12/08

>You're funny as hell, you know that?

You too.

>Here's a quick quiz for you -- when's
>the last time I bought or sold a game? ...yet I'm a dealer who's only
>in it to make a quick buck...

You've certainly given me that impression.

>No, I offered it to you at market price...

That's not how I remember it.

The bottom line is I was looking for an affordable one, and did not
require it to be in great condition.

At the time, I had just got married, was buying a house, and it was
either a reasonable deal or I couldn't buy one.

That situation has changed, and i'll see how it goes this year.

>you just think you can get everything for 1/2 market price, and even when people
> offer you games at your lowball expected price, you turn them down, thinking you can
>find one cheaper elsewhere.

For the record, I don't believe i've ever made an offer on any of the
machines i've purchased. I've let the sellers do that, and if they
are in my price range, I buy them.

When you see a sale on a product, do you buy it when it's at regular
price, or just wait until it is? I'm not the only one that was
brought up shopping like this. Blame my parents.

It is true that I haven't paid top dollar for any of my machines, but
by no means would I take advantage of anyone.. As you know, prices
are all over the map. So i've been very careful not to insult anyone
offering $300 for a machine when they might want $800, etc.

>Considering just about every post you make is about a cheap game on ebay
>1,500 miles away, and how you think that's how much games in MA should cost,
>it's pretty easy to get a chuckle out of your postings.

I'm glad your entertained. I find it interesting how there can be so
much of a difference on pricing from one seller to another.

As I pointed out one that sold for $265 this week, and you posted
another that sold for $830 last week.

I find it interesting that the range can be so great.

Mark C. Spaeth

Mar 12, 2008, 3:14:05 AM3/12/08
Nate Goulet <askify...@yahoo.com> wrote:

: > ...yet I'm a dealer who's only in it to make a quick buck...

:
: You've certainly given me that impression.

Well, I certainly don't buy and repair games with the intention of
LOSING money on the deal. I've paid more dead for most of my atari
vectors than you're looking to pay for a working game... and I wouldn't
have bought them if I didn't think I was getting a reasonable deal.

: I'm glad your entertained. I find it interesting how there can be so

: much of a difference on pricing from one seller to another.

Well, there's also a HUGE difference in maintenance and reliability
from seller to seller. Do you think that el-cheapo space duel has an
LV2k or any other reliability mods done to the monitor? Flakey connectors
replaced? New sockets on the game board?

No. It's an as-is, just-happens-to-still-be-working junker that some
random person dropped off at an ebay reseller store...

If that's the kind of game you're looking for, then you shouldn't be
trying to buy from other collectors or anyone else who works on games.

There's no point in me or anyone else buying dead games, fixing them,
modding them up to be reliable, then selling for the same price we
bought for...

Oh, and by the way, I bought this dead in CT in December (the last game
I bought, in fact) and now it's working and for sale:

http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~mspaeth/pics/games/SpaceDuelUR2/

...but I'll probably end up trading it to Walt, since you don't make
offers on games :)

...and to answer your question for Tim... I fixed the spy hunter boards,
and it was playing great until he sold it...

seymour-shabow

Mar 12, 2008, 7:42:16 AM3/12/08
Nate Goulet wrote:

> For a good number of collectors but certainly not all, New England for
> some reason usually wants more for their games. I have a hard time
> understanding the justification for it. Especially Boston area
> collectors. I think that is why i've been a bit discouraged and point
> out some of the machines i've seen. Is it due to the higher prices on
> the housing market? I don't see this same pattern with other things I
> collect. Seems like they should be about the same price in any area
> of the USA.

That's not true. Amusement device pricing varies just like cars
depending on the region.

-scott

Bob

Mar 12, 2008, 3:50:40 PM3/12/08
I took the easy way out and converted my SD to Gravitar and BW by
making custom harnesses for the cp's.
I just swap the boards and cp's

Bob

guinn...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2008, 4:13:37 PM3/12/08
> ...and to answer your question for Tim... I fixed the spy hunter boards,
> and it was playing great until he sold it...

I still have it!

tim (NH)

mothraRZ

Mar 12, 2008, 9:28:33 PM3/12/08

I would think there would be a market for this type of product. A
harness that lets you swap CP's and play both Space Duel and Gravitar
from the same cabinet with a PCB swap and a control panel swap. I
would but such a thing for my Gravitar, then go looking for some Space
Duel innards so I could play both. Ray in Ohio

Greg Baumgratz

Mar 15, 2008, 11:37:07 AM3/15/08
That makes my neck hurt - can you rotate CCW 90-degrees next time?

Unknown

Mar 15, 2008, 6:05:09 PM3/15/08
Mark said to check this out!

http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~mspaeth/pics/Day2.jpg

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Bob

Mar 17, 2008, 1:32:16 PM3/17/08

> I would think there would be a market for this type of product. A
> harness that lets you swap CP's and play both Space Duel and Gravitar
> from the same cabinet with a PCB swap and a control panel swap. I
> would but such a thing for my Gravitar, then go looking for some Space
> Duel innards so I could play both. Ray in Ohio

Ray,
It is easier to go the way i did because the SD has more wires in the
harness for the CP switches than the Gravitar. You will need to add
wire to the gravitar harness to get the extra controls to the SD PCB.

You might want to try and find a SD harness and swap that in.

FYI - i didn't make an adapter harness i just hacked the Grav and BW
cp Harnesses and put on a compatible connector to plug into the SD
harness.

Bob

Bob at langelius dot com

Nate Goulet

Mar 19, 2008, 8:45:47 PM3/19/08

>Well, I certainly don't buy and repair games with the intention of
>LOSING money on the deal. I've paid more dead for most of my atari
>vectors than you're looking to pay for a working game... and I wouldn't
>have bought them if I didn't think I was getting a reasonable deal.

I can certainly understand that. From watching them for the past
several years, have you considered you may have paid too much when
i've pointing these out and seeing deals frequently?

The bottom line is when I started looking, I couldn't afford much and
was finding what I wanted everywhere but around our immediate area.
Even several just outside a reasonable drive, like say NY or NJ. When
all you have to move games is a junk truck to borrow, going much past
100 miles isn't a smart idea. The truck completely lost it's breaks
moving the Spy Hunter cockpit. The break lines let go. Problem has
been fixed, but still. I drive a much newer car, but it's unable to
move games unfortunately. I don't need to move many more so i'm not
about to buy another vehicle.

What I was looking for was by no means unreasonable, and last year
when I was very distracted and somewhat away from the hobby, prices
dropped to the levelest levels i've seen since collecting. For
example, a mint Gravitar sold for about $400 or so after being listed
on eBay for months. Said something like, museum quality, nicest on
eBay. Even that took a long time to sell. I'll agree 2008 is not
2007, but still. What a time for me to drop out for a bit.

>Well, there's also a HUGE difference in maintenance and reliability
>from seller to seller. Do you think that el-cheapo space duel has an
>LV2k or any other reliability mods done to the monitor? Flakey connectors
>replaced? New sockets on the game board?

I'd agree a machine that has been enhanced with parts to make it more
reliable is worth more. The sellers need to make it a point of
mentioning this. When I started collecting I had a couple good
friends that were electronics experts, so spending more to keep them
more reliable wasn't my top priority. One of them designs boards for
the arcade industry, the other used to design montitors.

They are still both very close friends, both got married in the past
few years, and i'd rather not brother them anymore than I need to at
this point. In the up comming months I might be in a better
situation to pay a little more and get a machine with the enhancements
you mentioned if that is what I find. For this reason, i'm
considering Rob's Gravitar if he still has it when i'm ready to buy.
However, i've been offered a working Space Duel in about the condition
of the one you sent photos of from a collector for $275. I may end up
with that if myself and the seller are ready to move it. No it's
probably not fitted with the extra enhancments, but exactly what I
originally set out to find. I'll also mention I recently missed a
fully working Space Duel a half hour away that went for $400.
Again Mark, if your paying anwhere near that for a non-working one,
your paying too much unless it's in excellent shape.

>Oh, and by the way, I bought this dead in CT in December (the last game
>I bought, in fact) and now it's working and for sale:
>
>http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~mspaeth/pics/games/SpaceDuelUR2/
>
>...but I'll probably end up trading it to Walt, since you don't make
>offers on games :)

I don't make offers for exactly the reason that your always on my
case. To avoid that situation. Not trying to offend anyone.

Trade the game to Walt. If he offers it for a reasonable price and I
haven't bought one by then, i'll consider it.

At this point i'll likely buy the one for $275 if it's still
available, or buy Rob's Gravitar. My friends may decide they don't
want to keep they machines, but i'll wait for them to tell me that.
I have lots of options. I would like to get one this year if
possible.

Nate Goulet

Mar 19, 2008, 8:49:47 PM3/19/08

Glad to hear you got it going. I didn't have much doubt that it could
be fixed. Did you end up installing Mike's NOS side art on it?

What did Mark end up repairing on it?

guinn...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2008, 8:40:45 PM3/19/08
>Did you end up installing Mike's NOS side art on it?
> What did Mark end up repairing on it?

I swapped out a working vid gen board (I think) from one of Marks SH
sets. From Mike I got two upright silk screened sidearts from
ArcadeRenovations effort way back when and one sitdown NOS sideart so
those haven't been applied and probably won't.

tim (NH)

Mark C. Spaeth

Mar 19, 2008, 9:40:31 PM3/19/08
Nate Goulet <askify...@yahoo.com> wrote:
:
: >Well, I certainly don't buy and repair games with the intention of

: >LOSING money on the deal. I've paid more dead for most of my atari
: >vectors than you're looking to pay for a working game... and I wouldn't
: >have bought them if I didn't think I was getting a reasonable deal.
:
: I can certainly understand that. From watching them for the past
: several years, have you considered you may have paid too much when
: i've pointing these out and seeing deals frequently?

No, not in the least. Just because there's an occasional freakishly
low price doesn't mean that all games are only worth that much. (No
matter what you want to believe). It's just like how that $850 space
duel doens't make all space duels worth $850 (which, of course, you're
happy to believe, though you reject the converse).

: The bottom line is when I started looking, I couldn't afford much and

: was finding what I wanted everywhere but around our immediate area.
: Even several just outside a reasonable drive, like say NY or NJ.

If you don't like game prices here, and that's what's so important
to you, then you should move to where the cheap games are. Yes,
games are cheaper in NJ, due to higher supply and lower demand.

: on eBay for months. Said something like, museum quality, nicest on

: eBay. Even that took a long time to sell. I'll agree 2008 is not
: 2007, but still. What a time for me to drop out for a bit.

In case you haven't figured it out... 80% of the auctions claim "museum
quality, nicest on ebay"..

: However, i've been offered a working Space Duel in about the condition

: of the one you sent photos of from a collector for $275. I may end up
: with that if myself and the seller are ready to move it. No it's
: probably not fitted with the extra enhancments, but exactly what I
: originally set out to find. I'll also mention I recently missed a
: fully working Space Duel a half hour away that went for $400.
: Again Mark, if your paying anwhere near that for a non-working one,
: your paying too much unless it's in excellent shape.

Who from? I could use another monitor for another tempest... I'd
by happy to pay $275 for another space duel, then part it out and
burn the cabinet. The monitor's worth about that... I'm sure I could
get decent money for the PCB, control panel and coin door on ebay
to boot. Soumds like a win-win proposition!

James Sweet

Mar 19, 2008, 10:11:54 PM3/19/08

> Who from? I could use another monitor for another tempest... I'd
> by happy to pay $275 for another space duel, then part it out and
> burn the cabinet. The monitor's worth about that... I'm sure I could
> get decent money for the PCB, control panel and coin door on ebay
> to boot. Soumds like a win-win proposition!

If you need a monitor, I might have a good 6100 available at around that
price range. I just need to get through a couple more projects then I'll dig
it out.

Nate Goulet

Mar 20, 2008, 12:53:59 AM3/20/08

>: I can certainly understand that. From watching them for the past
>: several years, have you considered you may have paid too much when
>: i've pointing these out and seeing deals frequently?
>
>No, not in the least. Just because there's an occasional freakishly
>low price doesn't mean that all games are only worth that much. (No
>matter what you want to believe). It's just like how that $850 space
>duel doens't make all space duels worth $850 (which, of course, you're
>happy to believe, though you reject the converse).

Occasionally? I've seen two or three dozen of these freakishly low
priced machines since i've been watching. What does that make me
think? It tells me there is a wide gap on what people think they are
worth. How can you blame me for not wanting to buy an $850 SD?
To some collectors money seems to be of little concern, and for them
they can buy what is likely a greatly over priced machine that has
been listed for months at $1250 if they can't take the time to look
around. I haven't seen it, maybe it's absolutely perfect and really
worth that. But more likely, a far stretch.

i've spent far too much time doing my home work of shopping and
probably should have spent it doing something else. Guess I just
enjoy it. But clearly your not looking in the right places to get a
true sense of machine values.

>If you don't like game prices here, and that's what's so important
>to you, then you should move to where the cheap games are. Yes,
>games are cheaper in NJ, due to higher supply and lower demand.

Now your sounding real logical. Move away from my family and friends
so that I can get a better deal on the occasional video game I buy.
That's brilliant.

Buying machines at reasonable prices was the only way I could afford
them, and i'm sure I was not the only person on here in that
situation. In my profession, I under charge my customers because I
like my work so much, care about helping people, and work with very
nice and highly educated & respected people. And 15+ years later, i'm
still working for the same people and still very happy about it. Add
to that getting married, buying a house, cars, etc.

>: on eBay for months. Said something like, museum quality, nicest on
>: eBay. Even that took a long time to sell. I'll agree 2008 is not
>: 2007, but still. What a time for me to drop out for a bit.
>
>In case you haven't figured it out... 80% of the auctions claim "museum
>quality, nicest on ebay"..

Only a few claim that. This one had lots of photos to help backup the
claim, and looked pretty legit.

>Who from? I could use another monitor for another tempest... I'd
>by happy to pay $275 for another space duel, then part it out and
>burn the cabinet. The monitor's worth about that... I'm sure I could
>get decent money for the PCB, control panel and coin door on ebay
>to boot. Soumds like a win-win proposition!

Obviously i'm not about to share that when I still haven't bought one,
but it is by no means the steal of the century. Good deal, sure, but
I see them at that price frequently. Usually just a bit out of my
area.

Burning the cabinet? I see how much you really care about these
machines. That's exactly what people in the hobby want to hear.
Destroy a cabinet with full side art since it's not worth much, Here's
an idea: Give away the cabinet or offer it reasonable.

Let's agree on one thing. Not to agree and stop boring the people on
the list, who are probably as sick of the tones in our messages as I
am. Clearly, we aren't going to change each other's minds so we're
best off not to bother trying. I'm happy to hear when you have
something "positive" to say, and occasionally you make a valid point,
but most of the time your comments of of the flaming nature and
counter productive. I know your personality type, and i'll leave my
comment at that.

Besides my responces to Mark's messages, people that know me know I
generally speak positive, pleasantly & intelligently. I'm not the
kind of person that enjoys a good arguement, and fortunately I rarely
find myself stuck in them too often.