Atari Football cpo repro poll

phoenixarcade.com

Jan 9, 2006, 10:56:55 PM1/9/06
Since there are 2 versions of the art, we need to make a decision which
one is preferred. Im not doing both. The cpos would be made as a full
wrap cpo like the Asteroids cpos were done a few years back.

Email me with your selection of #1 or #2

http://members.aol.com/azarcadegames/atari1.jpg

http://members.aol.com/azarcadegames/atari2.jpg

Not sure which films Scott Evans has, or both. If he only has one and
the other design is chosen we can still use the films for color
matching

Pics are courtesy of Mike Fox who also offered to donate the panels to
work from.

Thanks
darin

mjenison

Jan 10, 2006, 2:47:46 PM1/10/06
FWIW, when I had a 2-Player football, it was the one with the minimal
artwork. It was also the version where the player could punt, which I
believe was the second version of the roms.

So:
Minimal artwork = punt version = newer roms
Maximum artwork = 2 runs / 2 passes = older roms

Does this match what other people have?

Also, it seems to fit logically...Atari saw artwork was getting ruined,
so decided to scale back artwork at the same time they were updating
the roms.

Just in case people want to vote along the lines of the Atari Football
model they own...

--
Mark Jension

big dog

Jan 10, 2006, 4:07:42 PM1/10/06

The punt version is the only way to go.

Mark Capps

Kyle O.

Jan 10, 2006, 4:23:48 PM1/10/06
Nice socks :)

ATL FUN

Jan 10, 2006, 5:01:23 PM1/10/06
Tough question. I like the idea of more coverage to hide blemishes
and give the cp a fresher look. But, would the overlay hold up over the
long haul? And if the track ball hole was not pre-cut then that would
be another factor. Man is there a vote in there somewhere?

I guess #1 unless my fears of #2 are alleviated. :-)

Brian

mikes...@comcast.net

Jan 10, 2006, 6:13:06 PM1/10/06
Mark,

This is not correct information. The Punt option has nothing to do
with the overlay. There is a separate piece of glass that has the play
information on it, this is what you are talking about. The glass
attaches to the control panel from the back. You need both the glass
and the rom set that matches. I have had a few XO football games and
all of them lacked the punt option, but the artwork for the control
panels varied from the 1st and 2nd versions. I personally like the
artwork around the trackball as in the 1st version, since you can see
the trackball better. I just worry about the wear from the excessive
abuse of hitting that trackball so hard and repetitively.

Mike Fox

Joey

Jan 10, 2006, 8:22:38 PM1/10/06
If I had a choice, I'd go for the #2, with more artwork. If Scott has the
films for that, and I'm paying for the overlays, I'd rather pay for the one
with more art. I'll still buy if #1 though.

Joey
joey...@hotmail.com

"phoenixarcade.com" <azarca...@cox.net> wrote in message

mjenison

Jan 11, 2006, 10:57:15 AM1/11/06
Mike said:
> Mark,
>
> This is not correct information. The Punt option has nothing to do
> with the overlay. There is a separate piece of glass that has the play
> information on it, this is what you are talking about.

Right, but you would agree that the factory didn't start producing
Atari Footballs by randomly assigning plexi to both full artwork and
half artwork versions? They most likely started with 1 rom version
(and matching plexi), and one artwork version. By looking at the Atari
Football Flyer on www.arcadeflyers.com, the full artwork version came
out first, with the non-punt version roms.

Of course, as production went on, upgrades were made, and a second
plexi was made to match the 2nd rom revision, and at some point another
version of the control panel artwork was made.

Now, did Atari sell an upgrade package for Atari Football? In the end
of production, did they just started piecing machines together with
whatever they had left (leading to a mixing of cp artwork and
plexi/roms)? I don't know those answers, but both would explain why
you'd see one type of plexi on both types of panels.

However, I'd speculate at one point there was a correlation between
plexis/roms to cp artwork.

--
Mark Jenison

Michael Fox

Jan 12, 2006, 10:01:47 PM1/12/06
As you can see in the pictures, I have both versions of control panels both
of which don't have the punt option. I am pretty certain that the punt
option was a kit form that had the replacement glass and the roms. There
have been people in the past selling NOS glass play panels and they are
always the punt panels.

Mike

"mjenison" <jen...@enteract.com> wrote in message

phoenixarcade.com

Jan 17, 2006, 8:39:29 PM1/17/06
#1 got 68% of the votes that were emailed to me. so thats what im going
with.

Tim Iskander

Jan 18, 2006, 8:37:26 PM1/18/06
whhhaaaaaaa.... whhhaaaaaaa.... whhhaaaaaaa....
oh well, better #1 than none ;-)
/Tim

J Barth

Mar 15, 2018, 3:27:34 PM3/15/18
Hello from 12 years in the future, I just got a all original XO with small artwork and no punt.