Underlay thickness opinons requested

phoenixarcade.com

Jan 23, 2008, 2:08:15 PM1/23/08
the industry standard for underlays has been .015 mil polystyrene.
most of the underlays ive purchased from others and the ones i use
myself have been this thick.

of course thicker is more expensive.

the question i have for you is; is it worth an extra $5 per underlay
at the retail end to double the thickness to .030?

obviously once the underlay is installed its never touched. anything
thicker than .015 has no bearing on the printing result.

i welcome your feedback in this thread

thanks
darin

goo...@brentradio.com

Jan 23, 2008, 2:42:51 PM1/23/08
Why go thicker? What are the benefits?

Brent

Clams Canino

Jan 23, 2008, 2:58:13 PM1/23/08

<goo...@brentradio.com> wrote in message

> Why go thicker? What are the benefits?
>
> Brent

If anything.... in the case of cocktails, thicker might shim the glass and
make the clips harder to get back on.

-W

Pat D.

Jan 23, 2008, 3:28:12 PM1/23/08
I've seen plenty of cocktails with the underlays and they are all
warbled from being in the sun or perhaps from the heat of the game. I
for one would like a thicker underlay. I've never had trouble bending
the clips slightly to make them fit.

Just my 4 cents.

Pat D.

(inflation)

phoenixarcade.com

Jan 23, 2008, 3:28:33 PM1/23/08
the thicker the underlay the less chance of it cracking due to
improper handling.

ive got an .030 sample here and it doesnt shim the glass whatsoever.

kevinp...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2008, 4:07:28 PM1/23/08

> ive got an .030 sample here and it doesnt shim the glass whatsoever.

You mean it doesn't effect putting the glass and clips back on right?

Because obviously it does shim it by .015 if the original was only .
015 to start with.

phoenixarcade.com

Jan 23, 2008, 5:46:04 PM1/23/08

actually many of the games didnt have underlays. the art was screened
directly on the glass.

i havent heard of anyone replacing their original screened glass and
using whatever thickness underlay and having a problem.

im almost sorry i brought it up.

kevinp...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2008, 10:24:29 PM1/23/08

> actually many of the games didnt have underlays. the art was screened
> directly on the glass.

Honestly, that didn't even cross my mind and you're absolutely right.
I merely had the .015 underlay thickness stuck in my head.
After having a aviation machinist background..... .015 can make a big
difference in places.

> im almost sorry i brought it up.

Sorry that you feel that way.

Clams Canino

Jan 24, 2008, 12:36:28 AM1/24/08

> > actually many of the games didnt have underlays. the art was screened
> > directly on the glass.

You're RIGHT!

That means a .015 shims it by .015 - and a .030 shims it twice that much.
:)

-W

Scott Caldwell

Jan 24, 2008, 5:53:44 PM1/24/08
I agree with you, Pat. Too many "New" overlays get wrinkled too
quickly due to what you mentioned and even getting slightly wet.
Thicker would help prevent all of these. Additionally, it would
help prevent bends or creasing during installation.

I would prefer thicker.

Scott C.