Cardboard monitor bezels - Where? / Who?

Jeff

Jan 2, 2008, 9:27:52 PM1/2/08
Hi;
Where can I get generic black cardboard monitor bezels for 19" games
that won't break my bank?
I see them on Arcadeshop but they are $25.00 each....
Thanks
Jeff

pmar...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2008, 9:48:58 PM1/2/08
HAPP has them for half that price...

http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49010500.htm

Paris

paladin-ng

Jan 2, 2008, 10:49:01 PM1/2/08

The HAPP ones are not cardboard, they are plastic.
They are perfectly fine, but if your specifically trying to restore
something like an atari game that used the cardboard, it's a big
difference. (again though if you don't care and just want a nice
looking bezel, the plastics are very nice)

-brian

Jeff

Jan 3, 2008, 12:39:58 AM1/3/08
On Jan 2, 9:48 pm, "pmarg...@gmail.com" <pmarg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Paris;
Thanks for the link but I need the cardboard ones.
Jeff

mystery_base

Jan 3, 2008, 7:46:40 AM1/3/08
On Jan 2, 10:49 pm, paladin-ng <bri...@paladingrp.com> wrote:
> The HAPP ones are not cardboard, they are plastic.
> They are perfectly fine, but if your specifically trying to restore
> something like an atari game that used the cardboard, it's a big
> difference. (again though if you don't care and just want a nice
> looking bezel, the plastics are very nice)
>
> -brian

Brian,

So the arcadeshop ones are the cardboard with a shiny black surface on
one side? I would like to replace my vintage one in my Tempest, but
would prefer it closely resemble the original. Would this be the way
to go?

- Jeff

Joe M

Jan 3, 2008, 8:11:28 AM1/3/08
Jeff,

If you have an original to work from (even if in poor condition), they are
easy to make, and turn out exactly like the originals, except for the Atari
part number that's printed on the original is missing.

Go to an art supply store and buy a large piece of black cardboard ($3-4).
Open up the original. I've found these are usually two separate pieces
glued together (two of the diagonal corners will be an overlap of cardboard
glued together, carefully separate those) and then lay out each piece flat.
Using an exacto knife and where possible a straightedge (the inside lines
surrounding the monitor you just have to free hand trace), lay the originals
on top of your new cardboard and carve out your copy. The only somewhat
tricky part is scoring (or is the term "scaring"?) the areas where you need
to bend it (make sure to score it on the same side as the original). By
scoring, I mean a cut to the cardboard that doesn't go all the way through,
it just cuts the first layer (or one side) of the cardboard. That makes it
fold/bend exactly where you want it (which is the 4 sides where is folds to
the cabinet, and the 4 diagonal corner where it folds to the monitor). With
a little practice on some of the extra cardboard, you'll get this down
quickly. After scoring, bend and glue (and let dry) one diagonal corner
overlap at a time (just like the original), usually need to put a couple of
heavy books on that edge to keep it together while it dries and you're good
to go.

The very first time I did it, I took my time and still did it in less than
an hour. Once you do it a few times and have your materials on hand, you
can do it in 15 minutes. They come out great, I've done this several times,
including for other people here. Virtually indistinguishable unless you
remove the front glass and start looking for the printed Atari part number.
Now if your game originally uses a plastic bezel, that's another story.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
joema...@ameritech.net

"Jeff" <jetu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

paladin-ng

Jan 3, 2008, 7:04:50 PM1/3/08

I've never actually ordered a cardboard bezel from them so I cannot
tell you if it's shiny or not unfortunately (all I can tell you is
that the that plasitc ones from HAPP look NOTHING like the atari ones
so don't waste your money with the plastics if your looking to make it
look like an atari bezel.

Steven at arcadeshop responds to emails and is very helpful so if you
email him he'll probably let you know.
let me know what you find, I'm restoring a missile command and was
going to buy one if the original looks too worn out when it's all
done.

-brian

mystery_base

Jan 3, 2008, 9:06:07 PM1/3/08
thanks Joe, awesome advice. I'm going to build it myself then. I'll
post my results :)

- Jeff

mystery_base

Jan 3, 2008, 9:08:27 PM1/3/08
Much appreciated Brian. I've been very satisfied with the stuff I've
ordered from Arcadeshop.

I'm going to make this myself, once I track down some art supply
stores here in town. I'll post my results: materials, time, cost.

Definitely thanks for the word on the plastic ones. Gotta keep it
looking authentic :)

- Jeff

Jeff

Jan 4, 2008, 3:01:06 AM1/4/08

Yea, me too.
Jeff

mystery_base

Feb 16, 2008, 8:25:45 PM2/16/08
I had great success breaking down my worn out surround bezel from
Tempest, picked up all the materials I needed at the local college art
supply store. Scoring it took some practice but I think the result is
outstanding, and since it's not dusty or warped it really has appeal.

- Jeff

docfr...@hotmail.com

Feb 16, 2008, 9:51:35 PM2/16/08

Josh McCormick

Feb 16, 2008, 10:03:39 PM2/16/08

If someone ever feels encouraged to make a website of patterns you can
print off to make your own bezels for different games, they would be my
personal hero right after Clay Cowgill.

Jeff

Feb 17, 2008, 12:00:53 AM2/17/08
On Feb 16, 10:03 pm, Josh McCormick <jmcc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I finally got my hands on a Gravitar and pulled the surround and took
it apart. Made a couple of these for my Gravitar and Space Duel. I
guess they would also work on Black Widow.
I figure the materials were about $4.00 but including the time, it
would bring the price to around $250.00 each.... :-)
Jeff

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z269/jeffiejames/2.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z269/jeffiejames/1.jpg

mystery_base

Feb 18, 2008, 7:56:15 AM2/18/08
Amen to the $250 comment, this is an arts & crafts labor of love, but
it *really* turned out great. I'd encourage anyone with a crappy,
dusty, warped bezel to undertake this project. The results are
fantastic.

- Jeff

Droler

Feb 18, 2008, 8:45:18 AM2/18/08
I did that for my Gyruss - which is a similar but different project due
to those blasted "speaker covers" but after sheer fear of taking apart a
dry rotted cardboard (I knew I would never be able to get it right but
the original was totally shot - bug tracks, falling apart at the seams
etc) I did get it right the second time. It was totally worth it.

Jeff

Feb 20, 2008, 9:01:28 PM2/20/08

Thanks for the compliment........
The only thing is that to make one, you have to have the same one to
take apart first.
I need one for my LL but don't have one to make a copy from.
I think the Asteroids is the same - can I get a verification of this?
Thanks
Jeff