Vandalia Ohio's Super Auctions show (May 5)

Pleiades

May 5, 2007, 6:11:50 PM5/5/07
Well, I just got back from the arcade auction held in Vandalia Ohio by
Super Auctions. It was in conjuction with a "petrolina" show (gas
station memoribilia) which was rather interesting.

At any rate, this was the first Super Auctions I've been to since
their last Columbus Ohio appearance in the spring of 05.

Rob was behaving in a manner that didn't even seem like the same Rob
from 2005 and prior. He was acting like he just swallowed a bottle of
"speed", and washed that down with a six pack of Jolt. Or perhaps he
had watched a Tony Robbins seminar and was trying to emulate his
style, because the auction began like a self-help seminar...

Rob: "ARE WE READY TO BID ON SOME MACHINES???"
Crowd: "Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!"
Rob: "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!"
Crowd: "YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"
Rob: "YESSSS!!!!!"

This was definitely the place to go for a cheap project video game,
though.

I snagged a Choplifter with a dead monitor in an immaculate Astron
Belt upright (original AB side art, bezel, and cpo intact) for $37.50.

I also grabbed a dedicated Millipede cocktail, beautiful top glass,
but chewed up corners, and control panels in need of an overhaul
(trakball repair kit and new CPOs) for $50.00. This did not boot up -
hopefully it's a fuse or a bad slam switch... So, now I have two
summer projects! :^)

There were a few noteworthy (and odd) conversions. A Mr.Do in a Cheeky
Mouse that still had CM side art and kick panel art, a Yie Ar Kung Fu
in a Tomahawk 777, again with T777 side art and kick panel art intact,
and an Arkanoid in what I believe was a Data East Lock N Chase
(original orange and blue striped sides and kick panel designs and
bezel intact).

The vast majority of the games were jamma conversions, many Dynamo
cabinets, many Neo Geos, lots of Lethal Enforcers in various stages of
repair (or disrepair).

Working 19" games went for $50 - $150... Working games with 25"
monitors went from $100 - $300 typically. Dead project games went for
anything from ONE DOLLAR to $50, depending upon the game and the
condition.

There were about seven or eight "multicade" upright cabs in repro
Midway style cabs that were going from around $1000 - $1500 depending
upon how many games were loaded on them.

I marked down some interesting prices on classics, but I was too tired
to note any more than a few... (got up at 6:30 this morning) Still,
this should give you an idea of what prices were like today. The games
listed below were working unless noted.

Ms.PacMan (original cab painted black) 450
Vanguard (dedicated) 125
Gyruss (Zaxxon conversion) 100
Mr. Do (Cheeky Mouse conversion) 75
Two Tigers (Tron conversion) 75
Road Blasters (dedicated - dead monitor) 25
Klax (Wizard of Wor conversion) 75
Ms.PacMan (original cab - dead) 175
Galaga 88 (Super Cobra conversion) 100
Pole Position cockpit (dedicated) 200
Road Blasters cockpit (dedicated) 162.50

Kyle :^)

wma...@msn.com

May 5, 2007, 11:04:53 PM5/5/07

Kyle, I thought Rob was against selling Multicades at his auctions?
Now he allows them? Probably because they were his.

Scott Caldwell

May 5, 2007, 11:42:52 PM5/5/07
He was initially OK with it, then was against it, but has swung
back around to allowing it within the last year or two (at least
at the auctions I've attended).

He does seem to note if it's a MAME computer vs. a "dedicated"
39-in-1 (or the like) PCB.

Scott C.

death...@sbcglobal.net

May 6, 2007, 3:07:05 AM5/6/07
yeah 2 years ago he said they where not allowed that was at the st
louis auction but last few here they have had at least 5 +

as far as good place to get projects the st louis ones as of late
havent been very good for projects seem to go way to high here

Pleiades

May 6, 2007, 11:32:13 AM5/6/07
Yeah, I recall in 04 he went on some shpeel about not selling MAME
cabs or Multigames too.

The ones sold yesterday were all "cut from the same cloth", and I have
not seen this style at a US Amusements auction yet. The artwork on the
cabs was atrocious.

It consisted of a collage of classic video game characters,
identifiable by a very ugly large frog with a pink 1950s style car
bearing down on it (for Frogger of course) at the bottom of the side
art and kick panel image. Other characters represented included the
Galaga player's ship, Ms.PacMan, Mighty BombJack, and the hunter from
Jungle Hunt.

What really made me chuckle however, was the fact that Chun-Li from
SF2 was included in the collage, despite the fact that SF2 was not
included on the game menus (at least that I saw)... also she was drawn
hideously... it was a side view, and well... she looked deformed, and
not in that anime way... I mean physically deformed.

Rob also kept getting his dates wrong regarding the last time he was
in Ohio... at one time he said "we haven't been here in 4 years"...
then another time it was 5, still another time it was 10 years! I'm
sure that was just some sort of "manic salesman ploy" to get the crowd
motivated to bid, but it wasn't working...

Still, I'm happy with my Choplifter and Millipede projects... gonna do
some work on them today!

Kyle :^)