Radio Shack loses clue.

Al McCormick

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
Attention JAMMAtizers...

Radio Shack has just lost their one remaining clue. They no longer sell the
44 pin connector that I have used dozens for JAMMAtizing games.

I was able to raid all the local stores for their remaining stocks. Just ask
the salesperson to check their computer for what stores still have any then
call 'em and raid their stock. I got all of mine @ $1 each.

ObRadioShack...

A friend of mine once went into a Radio Shack looking for a bulb to replace
a burnt out one on an antique console radio. The dweeb at the counter asked
what voltage the bulb took. My friend replied that it operated on 6VAC.
The dweeb replied "We don't have any AC light bulbs..." DUH!

Here's a nickle...buy a clue.

Virtu-Al

Colin Kraft

Dec 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/27/95
dmcc...@students.wisc.edu (Al McCormick) wrote:

>Attention JAMMAtizers...

>Radio Shack has just lost their one remaining clue. They no longer sell the
>44 pin connector that I have used dozens for JAMMAtizing games.

>I was able to raid all the local stores for their remaining stocks. Just ask
>the salesperson to check their computer for what stores still have any then
>call 'em and raid their stock. I got all of mine @ $1 each.

Yep, I ran into the same problem last time I went for a 44 pin
connector. I got the last two for $1 also as they told me it was a
close-out. So I searched for awhile and managed to find a REAL
electronics store in my area that sold the connectors plus much more
without having to buy 25 of everything. I suggest you do the same,
you will be much happier.

Radio Shack has always sucked anyway. The only good things are they
are open until 9 PM and have many locations although they are always
out of what you need. I got tired of them asking for my name and
address each time, so I finally said "Bond, James Bond" and I gave
them 007's address.

Colin

Howard S Shubs

Dec 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/27/95
In article <4bq09r$a...@news-f.iadfw.net>, ckr...@iadfw.net (Colin Kraft) wrote:

>out of what you need. I got tired of them asking for my name and
>address each time, so I finally said "Bond, James Bond" and I gave
>them 007's address.

I just tell 'em my name is "Cash". I let 'em fill in "Johnny" if they
wish. <grin>

--
Howard S Shubs hsh...@bix.com Which lizard is the "right" one?
The Denim Adept hsh...@ultranet.com "What?" -- Arthur Dent

Dwight Anderson

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
re

>Radio Shack has just lost their one remaining clue. They no longer sell
the
>44 pin connector that I have used dozens for JAMMAtizing games.

>I was able to raid all the local stores for their remaining stocks. Just
ask
>the salesperson to check their computer for what stores still have any
then
>call 'em and raid their stock. I got all of mine @ $1 each.

I noticed the same thing, I have been using a lot of those for replacing
rusted out connectors in my old atari games. I went to all the Radio
Shacks and stocked up on everything they had. Good buy at 59 cents
apiece.

Glenn Mandelkern

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <4bq09r$a...@news-f.iadfw.net>, Colin Kraft <ckr...@iadfw.net> wrote:
>dmcc...@students.wisc.edu (Al McCormick) wrote:
>
>>Attention JAMMAtizers...
>
>>Radio Shack has just lost their one remaining clue. They no longer sell the
>>44 pin connector that I have used dozens for JAMMAtizing games.

I think I'm going to have call myself clueless here as well.
I thought JAMMA was 56-pin. Where do these 22/44 pin edge connectors
(276-1551, right?) play a part in JAMMA and video games?

>>I was able to raid all the local stores for their remaining stocks. Just ask
>>the salesperson to check their computer for what stores still have any then
>>call 'em and raid their stock. I got all of mine @ $1 each.
>

>Yep, I ran into the same problem last time I went for a 44 pin
>connector. I got the last two for $1 also as they told me it was a
>close-out. So I searched for awhile and managed to find a REAL
>electronics store in my area that sold the connectors plus much more
>without having to buy 25 of everything. I suggest you do the same,
>you will be much happier.

I have always had a pet peeve with Radio Shack--
everytime they introduce a cool IC, they then discontinue it 1 or 2 years
later when I have found a zillion applications for it.

But sometimes that does have nice side effect. They used to have the
276-703 which was their LM-383/TDA-2002 amplifier for $2.99. At the
closeout price, I picked up many for 29 cents. They also had 2764 EPROM's
originally at $6.95 which I picked up dirt cheap. And I was able to
pick up some AY-3-8910's (#276-1787) at a great price.

Then again, that's one of the main reasons I moved out to Silicon Valley.
It's kinda weird walking inside the showrooms that you spent all your
allowance mail ordering from for IC's and connectors. It's a great
feeling to realize that you are no longer at Radio Shack's mercy!

Ob7400
I also found it very strange when I saw they were carrying 7400 IC's which
showed SOVTEK as a manufacturer--doesn't that mark the end of the cold war!

Glenn Mandelkern "Hee, hee, hee, hee!" -- Questor the Elf
gma...@netcom.com "When passion runs deep,
San Jose, CA you're playing for keeps" -- Keith Emerson
Games, GUI's and Entertainment What does Motif sound like in the key of C++?

Stormoen MD

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
Glenn Mandelkern (gma...@netcom.com) wrote:

: I think I'm going to have call myself clueless here as well.

: I thought JAMMA was 56-pin. Where do these 22/44 pin edge connectors
: (276-1551, right?) play a part in JAMMA and video games?

JAMMA is 56 pin, but often you'll connect a 44 pin edge connector to a
56-pin finger board with some standard wire. Basically, you take a game
like Phoenix which is 44-pin, and JAMMAtize it. If you haven't seen
games other than JAMMA, you might not know that there are boards that
commonly use 56, 44 and 36 pin connectors.

Michael.

Glenn Mandelkern

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <4cimur$g...@news.isl.net>,

Thanks to everyone who has written me explaining this JAMMAtizing
procedure. I have in fact seen the 22/44 pin edge connectors in games,
having been an avid fan of earlier Atari games such as Crystal Castles,
plus many others that use something similar to the board where 2 of
Star Wars (yes, I know, vector) 3 boards connect to the main harness.

Thanks again for explaining the procedure here as well.

When I first read about the 22/44 pin edge connectors, I had this image
of someone sawing off parts of them to get a JAMMA connector. Mechanically
speaking it did not seem too stable. But I remember someone recently
posted something about needing a 30/60 pin edge connector and someone had
a mechanical solution.