Mappy Marquee repro... please support!!

vidkid

Mar 19, 2003, 9:42:34 AM3/19/03
Ya, know I'm watching the following auction:

Mappy marquee - Excellent Condition!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3214922696&category=13718

and the price is already up to $76 dollars. The last "nice" Mappy
marquee went for more than $150!! So why is it that Darin
(www.phoenixarcade.com) can't seem to get the 25 people he needs to a
pre-order brand new Mappy marquees that are only going to cost $75?

We all know the quality of work that Darin does is first rate. The
Mappy CPO's that he made look amazing and if you ever intend to own a
Mappy, now is the time to get a CPO... Just in case.

We also all know how badly most Mappy Marquees have faded. I have 3
marquees, all of which ... well, quite frankly... suck. Heck, there
are at least 25 people on VAPS that have a Mappy machine (and I'm
still not on it... I'm just a bit of a procrastinator. ;-) and I'm
betting 75% of them have crummy marquees.

So, Please, please support Darin on this project and send him a
pre-order.

Thanks,

Jim - a Mappy owner who would love to see this unique game restored!
:-)

P.S. I have no relation to Darin or personal interest in
phoenixarcade.com. I hope I have not overstepped my bounds by
bringing this up, but I REALLY would like to see these repro'ed.

ArcadeFX

Mar 19, 2003, 10:23:21 AM3/19/03
im getting one for sure.
i am also looking for the front art.
the mouse and cat around the coin door.
i think that would be a cheap and easy repro.

jon

--
============================
www.arcadefx.com
"vidkid" <arc...@wizmail.net> wrote in message

Ceg...@webtv.net

Mar 19, 2003, 11:25:09 AM3/19/03
darin,
any updates? any one else pony up the dough???
ronald

vidkid

Mar 19, 2003, 3:14:20 PM3/19/03
I'm hoping for the mouse and cat and also that someone will eventually
reproduce the bezel too.(Man does my bezel look bad too!) I'm not
sure what the possibility of getting the bezels repro'd, but I'm
hoping!! :-)

Mark Czarnowski

Mar 19, 2003, 4:33:35 PM3/19/03
"vidkid" wrote

> Ya, know I'm watching the following auction:
>
> Mappy marquee - Excellent Condition!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3214922696&category=13718

> and the price is already up to $76 dollars. The last "nice" Mappy
> marquee went for more than $150!! So why is it that Darin
> (www.phoenixarcade.com) can't seem to get the 25 people he needs to a
> pre-order brand new Mappy marquees that are only going to cost $75?
>
> We all know the quality of work that Darin does is first rate. The
> Mappy CPO's that he made look amazing and if you ever intend to own a
> Mappy, now is the time to get a CPO... Just in case.

I traveled 1700 miles just to drop off my $25 deposit to Darin for the Mappy
marquee!!!

Okay, well, I just happened to be in town...

But the point is the same...send in those deposits, folx!

I applied the Mappy CPO repro, and it looks great. After the marquee, it
would also be nice to have the art/decals around the coin door/above the
kick plate. Mine has never had any!

-Mark C.
Urbana, IL

Azarcadegames

Mar 19, 2003, 4:33:29 PM3/19/03
i have many people that tell me they are mailing deposits, but still havent
recieved them

if we do the marquee, then we can look at the bezel and the side art with the
front panel characters. i assume this will all take time.

but if we dont do the marquees, then im done with any other mappy projects.
maybe another repro guy will do them

darin

Kurt Koller

Mar 19, 2003, 5:19:49 PM3/19/03
mail has been really slow lately in general.

maybe "code orange"

Kurt Koller Developer / Hacker http://coinop.org/ Owned by: Minimalist, Inc.
http://minimalist.com/

"Azarcadegames" <azarca...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ceg...@webtv.net

Mar 19, 2003, 5:27:14 PM3/19/03
yeah, lets get this out of the way so we can do jr pac stuff next :)
i have a set of NOS art for the front :)

ronald

Howard S Shubs

Mar 20, 2003, 12:24:35 AM3/20/03
In article <ff928d9e.03031...@posting.google.com>,
arc...@wizmail.net (vidkid) wrote:

> So, Please, please support Darin on this project and send him a
> pre-order.

SOmeone might want to put a "fixed price" entry on eBay for this.
Describe the situation and see if he can get sign-ups.

--
Today, on Paper-view: The World Origami Championship

(Classicade) Bret Pehrson

Mar 20, 2003, 1:29:49 AM3/20/03
I've ponied up my deposit for this project.

--
Bret Pehrson
Classicade

*** N O W S E L L I N G ***
Check out C-POP -- the ultimate overlay protectant and conditioner!
http://www.classicade.com/cpop.htm

Atari Star Wars thumb trigger rebuild kits!
http://www.classicade.com/trigger_kit.htm
*** N O W S E L L I N G ***

John Robertson

Mar 21, 2003, 4:03:41 PM3/21/03
For what it is worth - I have just put up my last Mappy
header/marquee...this one is MUCH nicer than the current one on Ebay -
looks virtually NOS...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3215522443

John :-#)#

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Patrick & Melissa Patterson

Mar 22, 2003, 1:23:18 AM3/22/03
John Robertson <j...@flippers.com> wrote in message news:<jevm7v0vve6bb8f7t...@4ax.com>...

> For what it is worth - I have just put up my last Mappy
> header/marquee...this one is MUCH nicer than the current one on Ebay -
> looks virtually NOS...

While I may come off as partial, your marquee has quite a bit of fade
in areas, and the one I'm selling does not. Yours is better in the
paint dept, as mine has some minor flaws, most of which are in the
marquee bracket area, but mine has NO fading.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Iain Odlin

Mar 22, 2003, 1:30:06 AM3/22/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:03:41 GMT, John Robertson <j...@flippers.com> wrote:

>For what it is worth - I have just put up my last Mappy
>header/marquee...this one is MUCH nicer than the current one on Ebay -
>looks virtually NOS...
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3215522443
>
>John :-#)#

I cannot think of a polite way to put this, so my apologies in advance:

"No fading"???

If you look at nothing else, look at the house top. That's supposed to be
one colour (solid red), not a semi-graceful left to right wash from pink to
red. Goro (on the game representation in the back) is supposed to be in
colour, not nearly black-and white. The orange in your marquee (around the
cats' mouths, for example) is nearly entirely gone. Et cetera.

What you have here is a heavily faded marquee, quite the reverse of what your
auction text describes.

Here's a comparison between the one on auction and the best picture I actually
have of a Mappy marquee: http://users.rcn.com/odlin/mapmarq.jpg . The one on
top is the one on auction. The one on bottom is the picture from my files.
It has itself started to fade in the centre (most notably Mappy's left inner
ear), but it should serve to illustrate my point.

I'm utterly flabbergasted, John; you're an intelligent, thoughtful person.
I am hard pressed to believe you actually wrote the text of your auction and
"looks virtually NOS" above.

-Iain

Patrick & Melissa Patterson

Mar 22, 2003, 1:33:42 AM3/22/03
John Robertson <j...@flippers.com> wrote in message news:<jevm7v0vve6bb8f7t...@4ax.com>...
> For what it is worth - I have just put up my last Mappy
> header/marquee...this one is MUCH nicer than the current one on Ebay -
> looks virtually NOS...

Upon looking at your auction again, I note that you claim no fading.
That is not true. Compare yours to the one I am selling. Yours has a
TON of fading down the middle, especially as evidenced by the border
around the art, the cats in the middle, etc. Also, the A in Mappy on
yours, as well as Mappy's ears and nose are badly faded.

Yours might not be as badly faded as most I've seen, but it DOES have
fading. I don't think you should be claiming yours is more than it
is.

Compare the pics on both auctions and it's clear how much fading yours
has.

Charles

Mar 22, 2003, 10:32:02 AM3/22/03
Wow. I thought my marquee wasn't faded but it looks exactly like
the top picture! Guess I've never seen a brand new one. Darin, put
me down for a preorder!

-Charles
(remove DEMUNG to reply)

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 06:30:06 GMT, Iain Odlin <i_o...@hotmail.com>

John Robertson

Mar 22, 2003, 8:25:30 PM3/22/03
I stand corrected...sigh, I hadn't looked at one for so long I thought
that was the correct colours...

I shall fix my auction...

Rats.

John :-#(#

On 21 Mar 2003 22:23:18 -0800, scott....@verizon.net (Patrick &

John Robertson

Mar 22, 2003, 8:29:29 PM3/22/03
Killed the auction...will relist with valuable corrections in a few
days. Sorry folks!

John :-#)#

On 21 Mar 2003 22:23:18 -0800, scott....@verizon.net (Patrick &

Iain Odlin

Mar 22, 2003, 9:10:02 PM3/22/03
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:29:29 GMT, John Robertson <j...@flippers.com> wrote:

>Killed the auction...will relist with valuable corrections in a few
>days. Sorry folks!

Thank you for your honesty, John. We need more like you.

-Iain