Defender RAM Failure help

Kenneth Murphy

Dec 15, 2004, 1:48:31 AM12/15/04
On startup, I get:

Initial Tests Indicate
RAM Failure

leds: 0101

Stepping thru RAM tests:

Ram Failure
RAM 36

leds: 1000

Also:

Vertical color bars indicate
Color RAM Failure

leds: 0001

The game resets every 20 seconds or so...

I'm not sure how to read the leds vs. the RAM 36 indication.

Which RAM is this telling me to replace? The docs are below.

Thanks for your help...........KM

POWER-UP AND RAM/ROM TESTS
==========================
Test initiated at power turn-on and after depressing RESET pushbutton on
CPU/VIDEO board.

RESULT CRT INDICATION LED INDICATION
Pass INITIAL TESTS OK 4 LEDs blink twice
Fail Ram RAM TEST FAILED X--X (LEDs 1 & 4 light)
Fail Rom ROM TEST FAILED None

In either of the above two 'Fail' situations you should depress ADVANCE
in MANUAL-DOWN while the failure message is displayed to enter
Diagnostics.

ROM DIAGNOSTICS - TEST 1
========================
From game over, depress ADVANCE in MANUAL-DOWN.

RESULT CRT INDICATION LED INDICATION CORRECTIVE ACTION
PASS ALL ROMS OK X--- n/a
LED 1 blinks twice
FAIL ROM TEST FAILED X--- Replace ICX on ROM board
X LED 1 lights or depress ADVANCE in
(X = 1 to 12) MANUAL-DOWN.
Chip indicated: Replace:
---X IC1
--X- IC2
--XX IC3
-X-- IC4
-X-X IC5
-XX- IC6
-XXX IC7
X--- IC8
X--X IC9
X-X- IC10
X-XX IC11
XX-- IC12

RAM DIAGNOSTICS - TEST 2
========================
From ROM diagnostics depress ADVANCE in AUTO-UP.

RESULT CRT INDICATION LED INDICATION CORRECTIVE ACTION
TESTING Random Pattern n/a Depress ADVANCE in AUTO
to bypass test
PASS ALL RAMS OK -X-- n/a
LED 2 blinks twice
FAIL RAM FAILURE -X-- Replace RAM (see below)
XY LED 2 Lights or depress ADVANCE in
X=Bank No. MANUAL-DOWN
Y=Chip No. --------------------------------------------
Bank indicated: Depress ADVANCE in
X--- = 1 MANUAL-DOWN
-X-- = 2
--X- = 3
Replace in Bank:
Chip indicated: 1 2 3
---X = 1 4L 5L 6L
--X- = 2 4M 5M 6M
--XX = 3 4N 5N 6N
-X-- = 4 4O 5O 6O
-X-X = 5 4P 5P 6P
-XX- = 6 4Q 5Q 6Q
-XXX = 7 4R 5R 6R
X--- = 8 4S 5S 6S

CMOS RAM DIAGNOSTICS - TEST 3
=============================
From RAM diagnostics depress ADVANCE in AUTO-UP.

RESULT CRT INDICATION LED INDICATION FAULTY AREA
PASS CMOS RAM TEST PASSED --X- n/a
LED 3 blinks twice
FAIL CMOS RAM FAILURE --X- CMOS RAM 1I,
LED 3 lights memory protect gates
2H, 1K or address
decoder 2F, 4E.
CMOS INTERLOCK FAIL --X- Coin door interlock,
LED 3 Lights memory protect gates
1J, 1K, 2H or CMOS
RAM 1I.

Kenneth Murphy

Dec 15, 2004, 3:59:23 AM12/15/04
I replaced RAM 36 and everything works great now!

I still get the Color RAM Failure message in the diagnostics...

Where is the color ram?

Thanks.........KM

Kirk S.

Dec 17, 2004, 2:25:34 PM12/17/04
Ken,

The computer cannot test the Color RAM. The message indicates that if you
see dark and/or off color vertical bars, the the Color RAM is bad...

Kirk S.
"Kenneth Murphy" <a@b.c> wrote in message

Kenneth Murphy

Dec 17, 2004, 11:12:19 PM12/17/04