Followup on Konami 054986A Sound Latch/Output DAC, etc need help!

John Robertson

May 13, 2009, 3:36:17 PM5/13/09
Hi!

Trying to fix a Lethal Enforcer game with faded sound and the fix I
talked about last year only goes so far - I have now got faint sound,
but not enough volume to hear the game during play. The inputs to the
audio amp IC do not have enough drive to allow me to substitute a second
audio amp pair either - the problem is in the 054986A device.

I was hoping someone had info on the DAC used as at least one cap had
leaked and I am somewhat guessing as to the values of the original caps
and this is not helping the repair.

I did find that CLR works fairly well at removing the leakage products
and cleaning off the black paint/epoxy, and CLR does not appear to
affect the copper traces. CLR support says CLR does not bother copper as
well.

So - looking for schematics or other info for the Konami 054986A....

I'll post the results on my tech tips for videos:

http://flippers.com/vid-tips.html#Konami

Previous discussion on the Konami 054544:
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_thread/thread/5a8af8cf07089579/a526d2eda0bee976?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=054986a+konami#a526d2eda0bee976

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

John Robertson

May 14, 2009, 1:38:06 AM5/14/09
John Robertson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Trying to fix a Lethal Enforcer game with faded sound and the fix I
> talked about last year only goes so far - I have now got faint sound,
> but not enough volume to hear the game during play. The inputs to the
> audio amp IC do not have enough drive to allow me to substitute a second
> audio amp pair either - the problem is in the 054986A device.
>
> I was hoping someone had info on the DAC used as at least one cap had
> leaked and I am somewhat guessing as to the values of the original caps
> and this is not helping the repair.
>
> I did find that CLR works fairly well at removing the leakage products
> and cleaning off the black paint/epoxy, and CLR does not appear to
> affect the copper traces. CLR support says CLR does not bother copper as
> well.
>
> So - looking for schematics or other info for the Konami 054986A....
>
> I'll post the results on my tech tips for videos:
>
> http://flippers.com/vid-tips.html#Konami
>
> Previous discussion on the Konami 054544:
> http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_thread/thread/5a8af8cf07089579/a526d2eda0bee976?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=054986a+konami#a526d2eda0bee976
>

> John :-#)#

Update, I removed the device from the board and found the corrosion (did
I mention that there was corrosion?) had reached around underneath and
appears to have destroyed a resistor or two. Now that I know what the
parts are on the underside Iam digging up the application notes to
identify the most likely used parts and schematic for the AD1868 and the
Op-Amp 4558 from JRC. I found that Konami followed the suggested
support parts for the audio amp, now to confirm this for the DAC and
4558 Op Amp...pictures and story to follow on flippers Konami section
(mentioned above) as I solve this.

Schematics would save me a few hours of digging, but the digging is
somewhat fun...