Need advice - capping a Motorola b/w

Chad Tower

Jan 13, 2008, 11:21:27 AM1/13/08

I'm in the middle of recapping a Motorola XM501 (Tank II). I just
pulled C16 as instructed by the kit I got from Bob Roberts... problem
is, I can't figure out which lead is positive. The board isn't marked
and the cap is a flat (paper?) cap, an ERO 0.033uF. The only hint I
can see is that one lead is single, the other has two leads twisted
around each other. Is that the indicator, and if so, which is
positive?

Thanks for any advice...

Andre

Jan 14, 2008, 10:02:57 AM1/14/08
I just emailed you a copy of the schematic.....that should help you out to
determent what side goes where.

thanks,
Andre
www.arcadesolution.com

"Chad Tower" <to...@gis.net> wrote in message

Andre

Jan 14, 2008, 10:07:30 AM1/14/08
BTW I think you pulled C17 because C16 is a 1uf cap. C17 (.033) one side
goes to ground (the (-) side of the new cap) and the other side goes to R33
(6.8K) (the (+) side of the new cap).

Andre
www.arcadesolution.com

Chad Tower

Jan 14, 2008, 10:40:47 AM1/14/08
On Jan 14, 10:07 am, "Andre" <rhomb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> BTW I think you pulled C17 because C16 is a 1uf cap. C17 (.033) one side
> goes to ground (the (-) side of the new cap) and the other side goes to R33
> (6.8K) (the (+) side of the new cap).

It's definitely possible... the markings on the board there are really
cramped and ambiguous. If I have a .033 cap on hand I may as well
swap C17 too and continue on my quest to get C16.

Thanks!

Chad Tower

Jan 14, 2008, 10:50:56 AM1/14/08

> On Jan 14, 10:07 am, "Andre" <rhomb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > BTW I think you pulled C17 because C16 is a 1uf cap. C17 (.033) one side
> > goes to ground (the (-) side of the new cap) and the other side goes to R33
> > (6.8K) (the (+) side of the new cap).

I think you're right, now that I look closer... the leads that seem
most likely marked C16 are for this thing I've never seen before. It
looks exactly like a little corn dog. It does have a "1.0 16" written
on it. What type of cap would that be?

Pat D.

Jan 14, 2008, 11:32:14 AM1/14/08
Sorry to hijack the thread. Great story on the Joust photo on your site
Andre.

Pat D.

Chad Tower

Jan 14, 2008, 2:57:31 PM1/14/08

C16 is a tantalum cap, I know now... I had pulled C17 because I didn't
recognize C16, which I had IDed as the right spot but not as a
capacitor... Andre got it right that I pulled C17. I should be good,
I'll just put C17 back and swap out C16.

Thanks!

Next thing to solve is whether or not the power supply filter caps
need replacing.

Chad Tower

Jan 28, 2008, 3:38:54 PM1/28/08

Update:

Monitor is displaying a pic... but it's very dim. Tube may be shot.
Will try a rejuvinator but I'm also searching for a replacement tube
or full working monitor if anyone has one.