Tempest open level hack

Rob Carroll

Sep 23, 2007, 10:49:08 AM9/23/07
OK, I did a search and didn't come up with anything...

Came across a Tempest board with the open level hack... pretty cool...
but it won't let me input my initials after setting a high score.
Skips the initials sequence entirely, goes right to the high score
list with the defaults (EJD 101010).

Is this normal operation for this hack?

Thanks,
Rob

web.qu...@comcast.net

Sep 23, 2007, 11:42:23 AM9/23/07
That's not a hack, the game is in demo mode. Details about it are on
several web pages, here's a quote from one of them:

Dip Switch #2 (2nd from the back of the game) on the upper bank (at
N13) controls demo mode. Demo mode lets you start (and practice)
anywhere you like. It does not record scores, however. In normal play,
the game will let you start close to where you left off. If you want
to 'cheat', put the game into demo mode, spin up to where you want to
start, start the game and hit the player one start button causing you
to zoom down the tube and gain the bonus. Then die and flip the dip
switch back to normal mode. Now you can start a real game at the same
level and record your score at the end. If you do this often, wiring a
front-mounted bypass to that dip switch will come in very handy. There
is also a freeze game dip switch that is also handy in case the phone
rings while you are playing.

Rob Carroll

Sep 23, 2007, 12:09:49 PM9/23/07
Bingo! That was it. Had to be something simple, didn't it?

Thanks a bunch!
Rob