Mail Plane Shame - Call yourselves gamers!!!

retro...@my-deja.com

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
So, let me get this right, I reposted my Retrogames article on my
website, answered all your criticism, advised that I wasn't the only
person with the game, and now, with more pictures and proof on ebay,
still no admission that the game does exist. Ok, i'm a big boy now, I
can look after myself, but the way you guys all act, dismissing people,
and declaring them fakes out of hand, well, frankly it's appalling.
Sure, the Retrogames article is all forgotten about now, pages of
messages about Ebayzilla's auction are the talk of the day. How about
someone putting a message out saying, hey, maybe that Jason who writes
Retrogames isn't full of it after all, perhaps he really does write
about his videogaming passion, and doesn't just want to sell a few more
copies of his magazine. Is it any wonder that Ebayzilla doesn't come on
here and tell us how he got these games?? You are all fools to
yourselves, so desperate for the truth, but frightening off anyone with
any evidence with barrages of hostility. I have read all your messages
over the past few weeks, and while there may be a few left, I think
that most "real" gamers left this newsgroup long ago. How
dissapointing. www.retrogames.co.uk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Richard Hutchinson

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Hey, we made Ebayzilla VERY welcome when he first started posting to this
group. It just all went bad somehow (can't remember what sparked it off).
It's a real shame he got upset because he had some good insights + binaries,
I guarantee they are all lost forever now.

Ahh well, here's to new (hobbyist) games......

Richard H.

Tommy Tong

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
In article <8frm1r$q5p$1...@lure.pipex.net>,

"Richard Hutchinson" <r...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Hey, we made Ebayzilla VERY welcome when he first started posting to
this
> group. It just all went bad somehow (can't remember what sparked it
off).
> It's a real shame he got upset because he had some good insights +
binaries,
> I guarantee they are all lost forever now.

Like you said the Mail Plane pictures were fake?

> Ahh well, here's to new (hobbyist) games......
>
> Richard H.

Yes, I am sure they made ebayzila as welcome as they have made Jason
from Retrogames. Richard, you had an opportunity to to apologize to
Jason for calling him a fake but didn't. I did say they looked like
they were drawn by a crayon and then a negative was made. I was only
kidding but I want to apologize anyway. I am sorry Jason for my part in
this. Tommy T...

The Maverick

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
retro...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Ok, i'm a big boy now, I
> can look after myself, but the way you guys all act, dismissing people,
> and declaring them fakes out of hand, well, frankly it's appalling.

This is a newsgroup. A place for casual discussions. People here post
what they think and then discuss it. This is not any sort of
investigative news or journalism organization. So continue to be
appalled... it's just a newsgroup!

> hey, maybe that Jason who writes
> Retrogames isn't full of it after all, perhaps he really does write
> about his videogaming passion, and doesn't just want to sell a few more
> copies of his magazine.

How about: Maybe that Jason has an ego bigger than Usenet since he
figures we should be posting tributes to him instead of writing about
the Vectrex.

> I think that most "real" gamers left this newsgroup long ago. How
> dissapointing.

This kind of comment only serves to justify the belief that you are
willing to jump to conclusions based on inadequate information.

the Mav

--
Cliffhanger Serials, Boardgames, Videogames, and Red Baron I
http://www.volcano.net/~themaverick/index.html

Richard Hutchinson

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Tommy T, I've already apologised to him in a private email. I was the one
who asked for him to post the better scan on his page.

retro...@my-deja.com

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Ok, it's a newsgroup for casual discussion, but if you were being
branded a liar by a group of people who'd never met you, would you just
ignore it. Sorry, I can't ignore it.

> How about: Maybe that Jason has an ego bigger than Usenet since he
> figures we should be posting tributes to him instead of writing about
> the Vectrex.

Oh yeah, that's what I want exactly, a sprawling 8 page message on how
brilliant I am. I've had my magazine ripped off and sent around the
web, and then i've had to justify it to a bunch of people who wouldn't
believe anything they didn't own. The problem is not my ego, I would
more often than not rather play the games than write about them, it's
that Retrogames is a credible source of information, and deserves to
keep it's reputation.

> This kind of comment only serves to justify the belief that you are
> willing to jump to conclusions based on inadequate information.
>
> the Mav

Isn't that exactly what my original message was about?? I think there
has been pretty adequate information on the existence of Mail Plane,
yet so many were ready to jump to conclusions about me. Don't take it
so personal Mav, I thought this was a casual discussion group.

Jason www.retrogames.co.uk

Classicgamer14

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
In article <8fra9v$pmp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, retro...@my-deja.com
wrote:
>So, let me get this right, I reposted my Retrogames article on

my
>website, answered all your criticism, advised that I wasn't the
only
>person with the game, and now, with more pictures and proof on
ebay,
>still no admission that the game does exist. Ok, i'm a big boy

now, I
>can look after myself, but the way you guys all act, dismissing
people,
>and declaring them fakes out of hand, well, frankly it's
appalling.
>Sure, the Retrogames article is all forgotten about now, pages
of
>messages about Ebayzilla's auction are the talk of the day. How
about
>someone putting a message out saying, hey, maybe that Jason who

writes
>Retrogames isn't full of it after all, perhaps he really does
write
>about his videogaming passion, and doesn't just want to sell a
few more
>copies of his magazine. Is it any wonder that Ebayzilla doesn't
come on
>here and tell us how he got these games?? You are all fools to
>yourselves, so desperate for the truth, but frightening off
anyone with
>any evidence with barrages of hostility. I have read all your
messages
>over the past few weeks, and while there may be a few left, I

think
>that most "real" gamers left this newsgroup long ago. How
>dissapointing. www.retrogames.co.uk

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Jason,

I agree with some of the things you say. Once in a while
someone might go overboard, but this news group is an open forum
where everyone has the right to state his or her opinion. Take
Ebayzilla as an example. Several months ago he joined the
discussion for a short time. I remember a controversy concerning
a right-handed prototype control panel (or something like that)
he was selling on Ebay. Someone called it a fake. Again,
everyone has the right to state their opinion. As an adult,
Ebayzilla had the right to take up for himself, but instead he
chose to slander a bunch of good people and use bad language (if
I remember correctly). A couple of weeks ago a blurry scan of
your 'Mail Plane' Retrogames article began circulating and some
thought it was a fake. You posted a quality scan and we were
grateful to see it. To become the center of attention, Ebayzilla
(who doesn't participate anymore, but loves reading our posts),
put his copy of 'Mail Plane' for sale on EBAY for an outrageous
starting bid of five thousand dollars. In my opinion, Ebayzilla
had no intention of ever selling his copy. I sent him an e-mail
when the auction first appeared, just to see what kind of reply I
would receive. The reply follows:

> When Mail Plane is sold, do you plan on releasing the
> binary image to the public

No, that would not be fair to the buyer.

> Their were other games that you mentioned in your EBAY
> posting: (Air Combat, Batter Up, Citadel, 3D Pole
> Position , and Tour de France). Do you plan on
> releasing these rom images to the public after they
> are sold?

Nope, same reason.
I think the sale is off on the other items anyway.

EBayZilla

His reply only answered two out of six questions I sent. He put
the auction on EBAY and had no intention of ever selling the
cartridge or releasing the binaries to the public. Then to make
matters worse he changed his wording in the auction to piss off
all of the current Vectrex programmers, which in my opinion was
extremely childish. Programmers like John Dondzilla have done
more for the Vectrex community then the original programmers ever
did. The bottom line is that people like Ebayzilla are only here
to make lots of money and to play games. He doesn't care about
the Vectrex community or classic game preservation. He only
cares about dollar signs. I have found that most of the people
who participate in this news group are here to preserve the
Vectrex and to have fun. When a lost program like 'Mail Plane'
is found it should be made available to the public for everyone
to enjoy. You and Ebayzilla own the only two known copies of the
game, which makes the cartridges very valuable. Releasing the
'Mail Plane' binary to the public should not lower the value of
the original cartridge. We would all appreciate it Jason, if you
would dump the binary. If money is an issue you could dump the
binary image and burn it onto a cd-rom and sell it or post it for
sale on EBAY (to help you recoup some of the original cost of
buying 'Mail Plane'). Then the binary image would be preserved
forever.

KneeHighSpy

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
well spoken!

mike d.

John

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
OK, I think it's time for a 30-foot billboard to everyone:

-----------------------------
| |
| They are just games. |
| |
-----------------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

Come on, people. My basement is as crammed full of carts as anyone's in
this hobby, but this isn't my entire life. Please, go outside and take a
walk. Get some ice cream. Do something else for a few minutes and get some
perspective.

Thanks,
John

Glenn Saunders

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
On Tue, 16 May 2000 11:10:00 GMT, retro...@my-deja.com wrote:
>here and tell us how he got these games?? You are all fools to
>yourselves, so desperate for the truth, but frightening off anyone with

People who write online magazines and other classic game newsletters
are going to have to realize that getting a "priveleged viewing" of a
prototype from an anonymous source for the purpose of generating
readership is not really going to win the hearts of classic gamers.

That only drives a wedge between the "insiders" who have connections
and who can enjoy these rare games within their clique and the "have
nots" who can only look at screenshots and read articles on them.

People would be singing your praises if you went out there and saved
the game's ROM image. At least with the Vec catalog there is no
piracy issue to worry about.

Mark Shaker

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the internet. You won't find any flames or accusations that
your article was fake coming from me. Like the majority of readers: I read
your article, thought "Way Cool", but did not bother to post anything about
it to the newsgroup.

Please don't confuse a vocal minority for the majority opinion.

Keep up the good work at Retrogames.

- Mark

retro...@my-deja.com wrote:

> So, let me get this right, I reposted my Retrogames article on my
> website, answered all your criticism, advised that I wasn't the only
> person with the game, and now, with more pictures and proof on ebay,
> still no admission that the game does exist. Ok, i'm a big boy now, I
> can look after myself, but the way you guys all act, dismissing people,
> and declaring them fakes out of hand, well, frankly it's appalling.
> Sure, the Retrogames article is all forgotten about now, pages of
> messages about Ebayzilla's auction are the talk of the day. How about
> someone putting a message out saying, hey, maybe that Jason who writes
> Retrogames isn't full of it after all, perhaps he really does write
> about his videogaming passion, and doesn't just want to sell a few more
> copies of his magazine. Is it any wonder that Ebayzilla doesn't come on

> here and tell us how he got these games?? You are all fools to
> yourselves, so desperate for the truth, but frightening off anyone with

Michael Bobroski

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
I totally agree. I'm in the same boat as well.

It's just typical of society to not voice that we are satisfied, or
agree. We seem to only vocalize when we disagree or have questions about
the material that was presented. This works fine when we are all sitting
around in an auditorium, 50+ odd people sitting around and only 5
vocalizing. Clearly with your eyes you can see that 45 people are
content. Unfortunately, with newsgroups we don't have this opportunity
to 'see' everyone.

Is it time to institute a new type of newsreader that forces you to tick
off a box (I agree/Disagree) before moving on to the next message? :)

-Michael Bobroski

Tommy Tong

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Classicgamer14 <classicgame...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> I sent him an e-mail
> when the auction first appeared, just to see what kind of reply I
> would receive. The reply follows:
>
> > When Mail Plane is sold, do you plan on releasing the
> > binary image to the public
>
> No, that would not be fair to the buyer.

Sound like an exercise from my last ethics class. That sound like an
ethical decision but not a popular one. He was not going to go behind
the back of whomever bought it.

> His reply only answered two out of six questions I sent. He put
> the auction on EBAY and had no intention of ever selling the
> cartridge or releasing the binaries to the public. Then to make
> matters worse he changed his wording in the auction to piss off
> all of the current Vectrex programmers, which in my opinion was
> extremely childish. Programmers like John Dondzilla have done
> more for the Vectrex community then the original programmers ever
> did. The bottom line is that people like Ebayzilla are only here
> to make lots of money and to play games. He doesn't care about
> the Vectrex community or classic game preservation. He only
> cares about dollar signs. I have found that most of the people
> who participate in this news group are here to preserve the
> Vectrex and to have fun. When a lost program like 'Mail Plane'
> is found it should be made available to the public for everyone
> to enjoy. You and Ebayzilla own the only two known copies of the
> game, which makes the cartridges very valuable. Releasing the
> 'Mail Plane' binary to the public should not lower the value of
> the original cartridge. We would all appreciate it Jason, if you
> would dump the binary. If money is an issue you could dump the
> binary image and burn it onto a cd-rom and sell it or post it for
> sale on EBAY (to help you recoup some of the original cost of
> buying 'Mail Plane'). Then the binary image would be preserved
> forever.

Your a psychic like on the infomertals. Some one writes a few words to
you and you concoct all this. Since you have the power, Kennedy, one
guy or conspiracy?

Wait...your saying that if you bid on the auction, he would refuse to
sell it to you? If he's is as greedy as you say, then you are wrong
again. He would take the money.

Tommy T... Said the passer by to the lynch mob gathering under a tree.

John Dondzila

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
>Welcome to the internet. You won't find any flames or accusations that
>your article was fake coming from me. Like the majority of readers: I read
>your article, thought "Way Cool", but did not bother to post anything about
>it to the newsgroup.
>
>Please don't confuse a vocal minority for the majority opinion.

Same here.

Anti SPAM In Use !
Remove the * from *pcj...@monmouth.com
to send E-Mail.

Russ Perry Jr

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
cybp...@earthlink.net wrote:
> People who write online magazines and other classic game newsletters
> are going to have to realize that getting a "priveleged viewing" of a
> prototype from an anonymous source for the purpose of generating
> readership is not really going to win the hearts of classic gamers.
>
> That only drives a wedge between the "insiders" who have connections
> and who can enjoy these rare games within their clique and the "have
> nots" who can only look at screenshots and read articles on them.

On the other hand, getting a newsletter's editor a look at something
to help verify the existence of something previously unknown is not
a bad thing. We're not all out just to win new readers, or drive a
wedge between ordinary gamers and those lucky enough to share their
finds. And personally, I'd rather see a photo or screenshot of a
game that has never shown up before than go on not knowing it exists.

I don't know what my reputation is like out there, but I offer to
verify any unknown prototypes out there. I've been collecting for
a LONG time, have been on the net on and off since 1988, and currently
edit the 2600 Connection, so I think I'm due some respect in the
community. If you won't trust the person who has something, send
them to me if you think you can trust me...
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #105 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
|| 847-952-9729 slap...@enteract.com VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||

Russ Perry Jr

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Classicgamer14 <classicgame...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> Programmers like John Dondzilla have done more for the Vectrex
> community then the original programmers ever did.

This is not entirely true, or fair... After all, Jay Smith DID
release all the games into the public domain. And Gerry Karr,
a LONG time ago, tried to get some unreleased stuff together with
the hope of releasing it. It didn't work out, but he did try.

That's not to say I don't find Ebayzilla's comments on that auction
nasty and uncalled for...

> Releasing the 'Mail Plane' binary to the public should not lower
> the value of the original cartridge.

This should be a proveable assertion... Check eBay. Last I checked,
the binary image was available for River Patrol, yet there are copies
going well over $200 (it appears the $700 bidder was a mirage).

Jeff F.

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
> Tommy T... Said the passer by to the lynch mob gathering under a tree.

ROTFLMFAO :o)

Have a good one,
Jeff (who tried to think of more letters to add to the above, but ran
out of quality expletives)

--
Entex Adventure Vision Site: http://www.adventurevision.com
Handheld Instruction Manual Archive: http://thearchive.iwarp.com

Tommy Tong

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Russ Perry Jr <slap...@enteract.com> wrote:
> That's not to say I don't find Ebayzilla's comments on that auction
> nasty and uncalled for...

God, this is funny. I then realized he was being serious. I almost
coughed up a lung. Tommy T..

Glenn Saunders

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
On Tue, 16 May 2000 16:20:29 -0400, "John"
<jcook793-------@---------yahoo.com> wrote:
>Please, go outside and take a
>walk. Get some ice cream. Do something else for a few minutes and get some
>perspective.

Come on. That's a cheap shot. It's rec.games.vectrex, not
rec.icecream or soc.i-am-just-a-normal-guy, so you have to expect
people to be really into this stuff here.

It would pretty boring if everyone didn't express any emotion here.

Glenn Saunders

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
On Tue, 16 May 2000 18:30:19 -0500, Russ Perry Jr
<slap...@enteract.com> wrote:
>On the other hand, getting a newsletter's editor a look at something
>to help verify the existence of something previously unknown is not
>a bad thing.

I know where you stand on the matter personally, since you did go out
of your way to get your very own SAVE MARY cartridge dumped. I don't
blame you for not wanting to risk mailing it to me earlier. I'd
probably have been equally careful.

I know that you'd make an honest effort to convince the owner of these
cartridges to do the same. I think others, however, may relish the
idea of an exclusive, in which case the game NOT being in distribution
theoretically boosts readership, in which getting the ROM dumped is
the last thing on their mind and doesn't even get mentioned (nor
anything about the possibility for future availability) in the final
article, which is very frustrating.

stonic

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Exactly!
Besides, I don't think an EPROM's "shelf-life" is as long as a ROM's (in
regards to bit rot)

> > Releasing the 'Mail Plane' binary to the public should not lower
> > the value of the original cartridge.
>
> This should be a proveable assertion... Check eBay. Last I checked,
> the binary image was available for River Patrol, yet there are copies
> going well over $200 (it appears the $700 bidder was a mirage).
> --

> file://*================================================================++

Tommy Tong

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
"stonic" <scot...@ptd.net> wrote:
> Exactly!
> Besides, I don't think an EPROM's "shelf-life" is as long as a ROM's
(in
> regards to bit rot)

ROMs don't get bit-rot. They are not user programmable. Tommy T...

solde...@my-deja.com

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
ditto ... no doubt about the existence of Mail Plane in my mind when
Richard's copy of Jason's scan first appeared ... then Jason made a better
scan available ...

Plus has anyone else noticed that Phaze One pic is up side down? New England
is up side down .. and doesn't look right ... I emailed Jason and he verified
this! Hehe! :)

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

The Maverick

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
retro...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Don't take it
> so personal Mav, I thought this was a casual discussion group.

LOL! Apparently you have yet to get into the "casual discussion group"
mood if you think anyone except you has taken anything related to this
discussion personally...

Greg Miller

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Michael Bobroski wrote:

> I totally agree. I'm in the same boat as well.
>
> It's just typical of society to not voice that we are satisfied, or
> agree. We seem to only vocalize when we disagree or have questions about
> the material that was presented. This works fine when we are all sitting
> around in an auditorium, 50+ odd people sitting around and only 5
> vocalizing. Clearly with your eyes you can see that 45 people are
> content. Unfortunately, with newsgroups we don't have this opportunity
> to 'see' everyone.

Nor do most people want a list of everyone who agrees. "Me too" posts
are much reviled on usenet. Everything that needs to be said, will tend
to be said by the original poster and people who disagree with what was
posted.

--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.

Greg Miller

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Tommy Tong wrote:

> Sound like an exercise from my last ethics class. That sound like an
> ethical decision but not a popular one. He was not going to go behind
> the back of whomever bought it.

Who said it had to be done behind the buyer's back? It'd have little
effect on the buyer, and most would probably say "hey, go ahead"--if
there actually were a buyer.

> Wait...your saying that if you bid on the auction, he would refuse to
> sell it to you? If he's is as greedy as you say, then you are wrong
> again. He would take the money.

There's an old saying, "the best way to ban something is to tax it." If
you set a high enough price, there won't be a bidder. That may have been
the plan. Who knows?

Greg Miller

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Tommy Tong wrote:

> "stonic" <scot...@ptd.net> wrote:
> > Exactly!
> > Besides, I don't think an EPROM's "shelf-life" is as long as a ROM's
> (in
> > regards to bit rot)
>
> ROMs don't get bit-rot. They are not user programmable. Tommy T...

They do eventually die, of course. Even solid hunks of plastic
eventually wear down in a few millenia.

Brett Walach

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Jason,

do you read your email at

retro...@my-deja.com

Or do I need another one?

I didn't see one on the web site.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Brett Walach

/*******************************\
|* "Brett's Vectrex Preserve"
|* http://www.inil.com/users/vectrex/
|* Vec...@inil.com
|* Hangout @ Rec.Games.Vectrex
\*******************************/

The Maverick

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
Greg Miller wrote:

> Nor do most people want a list of everyone who agrees. "Me too" posts
> are much reviled on usenet.

I totally agree. ;-)

John Dondzila

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
>they have been there for about 8 or 9 months. Some of you might remember,
>he was planning on *giving* them to a few folks just for archive purposes.
>No money involved. No strings attached.

Uh huh ... sure he was.

He's an idiot, don't defend him. If he wants to take his little treasures to
the grave, then let him. The Vectrex will live on with or without them.

JD

baronvr

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
In article <3922D302...@classic-games.com>,
Greg Miller <gmi...@classic-games.com> wrote:

> Nor do most people want a list of everyone who agrees. "Me too" posts

> are much reviled on usenet. Everything that needs to be said, will
tend
> to be said by the original poster and people who disagree with what
was
> posted.

I don't mind. We're pretty laid back in here, I don't think most
regulars would have noticed if it wasn't brought up...

cc

--
"Spike's Big Vectrex Page"
http://vectrex.vintagegaming.com

Jeff F.

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Well, you all don't have to worry about bit rot for any of eBayZilla's
games. He has every binary in his possession backed up on CDROM. Basically

they have been there for about 8 or 9 months. Some of you might remember,
he was planning on *giving* them to a few folks just for archive purposes.
No money involved. No strings attached.
Those that were directly emailed by him during(maybe before?) his first
ebay stint might remember that. Isn't it sad how this all turned out? I
mean, not only did everyone lose the software he had in his possession, but
you know how many awesome stories Mr. FR Wilk has? I've basically been
exchanging email with him since around 10-20-99 and there's no doubt in my
mind he could have contributed tons to the Vectrex history books. Some
things that stand out in my mind are things like where his work station was
set up(next to an EPROM programmer) to little projects he was given(quiet
Vectrex) to him throwing out lots and lots of control panel overlays(ouch).
In my very limited capacity as a junior "Vectrex Community" member, I think
these kind of stories are awesome. And honestly, in my opinion, the
software he has, well, that would have just been an added bonus.

-Jeff

p.s. Hey Scott, this is definitely not aimed at you. I guess I'm just
having one of those moments my doctor warned me about... inhale...
exhale... inhale... exhale... :o)

"stonic" <scot...@xxx.xxx> wrote...

> Exactly!
> Besides, I don't think an EPROM's "shelf-life" is as long as a ROM's (in
> regards to bit rot)

Jeff F.

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
No defending really, just saying that he could have offered more than just
the games. That's all. (all right, maybe a little semi-defending with the
"giving" statement but that's not how I first meant it) I was commenting on
how this whole thing with him sucks really, it could have been soo
different.

-Jeff

"John Dondzila" <*pcj...@monmouth.com> wrote in message

> >they have been there for about 8 or 9 months. Some of you might
remember,
> >he was planning on *giving* them to a few folks just for archive
purposes.
> >No money involved. No strings attached.

KneeHighSpy

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
i agree, if he had posted some more reasonable price, I would have bid
on it and if won, I would have put it in the archive for all to enjoy.
I have gotten tons of info from the archives that's helping me in my
coding on vectrex and I only see fit to donate back something. EZ
never had any intentions of selling his carts.

oh well, what next? rare white, chrome or clear veccys for $200,000?
;)

mike d.

Classicgamer14

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
He has every binary in his possession backed up on CDROM.
Basically they have been there for about 8 or 9 months. Some of

you might remember, he was planning on *giving* them to a few
folks just for archive purposes. No money involved. No strings
attached.

Jeff,

Since Ebayzilla is a good friend of yours, ask him to put a copy
of the CDROM (with all of the binary images) for sale on EBAY
with a reasonable starting price.

Greg Miller

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
"Jeff F." wrote:

> Well, you all don't have to worry about bit rot for any of eBayZilla's

> games. He has every binary in his possession backed up on CDROM. Basically

> they have been there for about 8 or 9 months. Some of you might remember,
> he was planning on *giving* them to a few folks just for archive purposes.
> No money involved. No strings attached.

Maybe he would, and maybe he wouldn't. There's a difference between what
people say they plan to do and what they actually do.

Jeff F.

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
"Classicgamer14" <classi...@xxxxx.xxx> wrote...

> Since Ebayzilla is a good friend of yours, ask him to put a copy
> of the CDROM (with all of the binary images) for sale on EBAY
> with a reasonable starting price.

Ok, here's a question... What would a "reasonable" price be for a CDROM
with say 10 unreleased Vectrex games? (10 because that's a number someone
else mentioned) For those who read but never post, let's hear your opinions
too.

-Jeff

p.s. This is definitely NOT something I could or would even think to do(if
he ever get's the urge to do so, it'll be because *he* wants to, not because
of X amount of begging on my or anybody's part), the question is just out of
curiousity.

Jeff F.

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
"Greg Miller" <gmi...@classic-games.com> wrote...

> Maybe he would, and maybe he wouldn't. There's a difference between
> people say they plan to do and what they actually do.

Yeh, unfortunetly things got way too out of hand...

-Jeff

Classicgamer14

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00

> Ok, here's a question... What would a "reasonable" price be
for a CDROM
>with say 10 unreleased Vectrex games? (10 because that's a
number someone
>else mentioned) For those who read but never post, let's hear
your opinions
>too.
>
> -Jeff

Jeff,

If I had the binary images available on CDROM I would not sell
them (the original cartridges are the valuable commodity). I
would offer the images for free to the Vectrex Community, for
everyone to enjoy. If Ebayzilla wants to put the CDROM on EBAY
he should set a reasonable opening bid.

John Dondzila

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00

>he should set a reasonable opening bid.

$50,000 with a $100,000 reserve ?

Russ Perry Jr

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
"Jeff F." <jfo...@stny.rr.com> wrote:
> "Classicgamer14" <classi...@xxxxx.xxx> wrote...
> > Since Ebayzilla is a good friend of yours, ask him to put a copy
> > of the CDROM (with all of the binary images) for sale on EBAY
> > with a reasonable starting price.

> Ok, here's a question... What would a "reasonable" price be for a CDROM

> with say 10 unreleased Vectrex games?

$30. That tends to be a sort of magic price point. You'd sell more at
$10-15, but lots of people would still pay $30. I think I would, though
I'd much prefer a cartridge with the games on it.

KneeHighSpy

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00
that would be a fair price for a cd with all roms, both release and
unreleased. it wouldn't really matter if it was cart or cd, i could
just burn them to cart myself.

mike danick, hopkinsville, ky.

solde...@my-deja.com

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00

>>Ok, here's a question... What would a "reasonable" price be for a
CDROM with say 10 unreleased Vectrex games?<<

Well if I were FRW and I had 10 unreleased Vectrex games ... I would
make my own multicart of NR games and sell them for $$.

Let no one construe that I am attempting to tell FRW what to do ...

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA