Vectrex emulator for Nintendo DS

m...@sci.fi

Aug 24, 2005, 3:43:26 AM8/24/05
Someone's made a Vectrex emu for Nintendo DS (work in progress)
http://jmgrd.club.fr/pages/posts/vectxds-wip68.php

Just got the stuff today to run homebrew on my DS, but unfortunately
that emu isn't up for downloading yet. I'll keep ya posted.

Manu

Richard Hutchinson

Oct 15, 2005, 9:21:07 AM10/15/05
Manu, I've just got myself a DS (love it) and am interested in running
emulators on it.

One question, how do you download files onto it ?

Do you need a wireless link or something ?

Richard H.

Rik

Oct 16, 2005, 5:51:15 PM10/16/05
You need a device called PassMe and a GBA flash cartridge. You load
your DS homebrew (or whatever) on the GBA Flash, and the PassMe tricks
the system into booting DS code from the GBA cart as if it was a DS
cart.

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/nintendo_ds/

Rik

Richard Hutchinson

Oct 17, 2005, 8:10:29 AM10/17/05
Thanks Rik !

I've just been reading about the trojan some evil people are putting in
homebrew demo's etc which actually destroys your DS (by wiping out the
firmware).

That's scary :(

Richard H.

Rik

Oct 21, 2005, 3:09:14 AM10/21/05
Yeah, they are coming out for the PSP as well... For the DS, there's
a firmware flash you should do before anything else if you going to
play with homebrew. It puts a tiny bit of code in a protected area of
the firmware (you have to short a contact on the bottom of the DS to
allow writing this area of firmware), and if the main firmware gets
hosed, you can re-flash after booting the DS to this little recovery
firmware code...

I haven't hacked my DS a whole lot, so I haven't run into problems
yet, just be careful with the stuff you download (make sure it's from
a trusted site, and if people can post info about it, read a few to
make sure someone's not warning you that it could cuase problems...)

Rik