QFTCI11 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: magnitudes, Can-challenge

Mark Brader

Aug 25, 2011, 10:50:16 PM8/25/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-02-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 9 - Orders of Magnitude

In this round each question asks you about a number. But we
don't want you tell us the number; just tell us how many digits
it has (ignoring any decimal or fractional part). For example,
if we asked for the population of Canada, there are 8 digits in
34,000,000, *so you would say 8*. Answers may repeat.

1. The number of electrons that would weigh the same as one
proton. Remember, we just need you to say *how many digits*
are in the number.

2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

5. The number of seconds in a day.

6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

9. One googol.

10. One googolplex.

* Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada

Round 10 is the Canadiana round, or in other words, this is the
challenge round from Canada. And speaking of Canada, after this
round we'll see you in two weeks, because next Monday is the
Presidents Day holiday, or as they want you to call it here,
Family Day.

A. Rough( )Riders

A1. Name *either* the quarterback who led the Saskatchewan
Roughriders from 1963 to 1978, or else their star running
back of the same era who wore number 34 and gained more
than 16,000 yards in his career.

A2. Name *either* the quarterback who led the *Ottawa* Rough
Riders from 1959 to 1968, or else *their* star running
back of the same era who wore number 11 and was only
5 feet, 7 or 8 inches tall.

B. Front Page Challenge

B1. Name any two of the three panelists who appeared on
"Front Page Challenge" for 25 years or longer. One joined
the cast in 1961, another died in 1984, and the third was
with the show for its entire 38-year run. Name any two.

B2. Name the man who hosted the show for almost its entire
run, *and* any *one* of the other three people (besides
the correct answers to B1) who were regular panelists
for several years each.

C. You Send Mail

C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that
you can mail for a regular 59¢ postage stamp?

C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O

D1. The category title refers to the 1999 breakup of
Ontario Hydro by the Harris government into five successor
companies. One of them specializes in transmission and
local distribution; it owns and operates practically
all of Ontario's long-distance transmission lines.
Name that company.

D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
main types of power stations provides the largest share,
or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
capacity?

E. Fresh-Water Islands

E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
largest area?

E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
largest *population*?

F. Referendums

F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
it, "sovereignty-association"?

F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
provinces.

--
Mark Brader "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
Toronto I find it most intriguing."

Calvin

Aug 25, 2011, 11:58:44 PM8/25/11
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:50:16 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Orders of Magnitude
>
> In this round each question asks you about a number. But we
> don't want you tell us the number; just tell us how many digits
> it has (ignoring any decimal or fractional part). For example,
> if we asked for the population of Canada, there are 8 digits in
> 34,000,000, *so you would say 8*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. The number of electrons that would weigh the same as one
> proton. Remember, we just need you to say *how many digits*
> are in the number.

A lot. 9, 10

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2, 3

9

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5 (and I did it in my head)

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

10, 11

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3, 4

6

> 9. One googol.

100

> 10. One googolplex.

1000, 1000000

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

Envelope not within standard dimensions

> E. Fresh-Water Islands
>
> E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest area?

Devon?

--

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 26, 2011, 12:20:05 AM8/26/11
In article <eYSdneHa--x1lMrT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

6

2

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.
101

> 10. One googolplex.

Calvin

Aug 26, 2011, 12:31:03 AM8/26/11
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:58:44 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

>> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.
>
> 9
>
>> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.
>
> 8

LOL. I read Q3 as Mars...

--

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2011, 1:11:59 AM8/26/11
Mark Brader:
>>> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

"Calvin":
>> 9

>>> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.
>>
>> 8
>
> LOL. I read Q3 as Mars...

I was *wondering*!

But, you know, the Challenge Round from Mars was in the *last* game...

(For Mars it actually varies between 8 and 9 digits depending on the
positions of the two planets in their orbits.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Effective immediately, all memos are to be written
m...@vex.net | in clear, active-voice English." -- US gov't memo

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2011, 1:13:47 AM8/26/11
Marc, if your answer slate was truncated due to a technical problem
or accidental keystroke or something of that kind, then please post
again with the remaining answers you were going to give.
--
Mark Brader | "...it doesn't even fulfill the most basic
Toronto | requirements for a good text editor, such as

Calvin

Aug 26, 2011, 1:19:06 AM8/26/11
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:11:59 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> Mark Brader:
>
> "Calvin":
>>> 9

>>> 8
>>
>> LOL. I read Q3 as Mars...
>
> I was *wondering*!

Having to think in miles is always a challenge for me.

> But, you know, the Challenge Round from Mars was in the *last* game...

I was at a quiz night recently where we kept answering "South Pacific"
whenever it was a feasible answer. But it never came up, dammit.

> (For Mars it actually varies between 8 and 9 digits depending on the
> positions of the two planets in their orbits.)

Which must be why you didn't ask it.

--

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Aug 26, 2011, 1:27:26 AM8/26/11

4

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

101

> 10. One googolplex.

10^100 + 1

one ounce

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

too large

> D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O
>
> D1. The category title refers to the 1999 breakup of
> Ontario Hydro by the Harris government into five successor
> companies. One of them specializes in transmission and
> local distribution; it owns and operates practically
> all of Ontario's long-distance transmission lines.
> Name that company.
>
> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?

nuclear

> E. Fresh-Water Islands
>
> E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest area?

Manitoulin

> E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest *population*?

Laval

> F. Referendums
>
> F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?

1969

> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

New Brunswick

--
Dan Tilque

Keeping Pluto dead has taken a lot of work.
-- Mike Brown "How I killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming"

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 26, 2011, 1:50:04 AM8/26/11

6

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium.  How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12; 13

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

101

> 10. One googolplex.

<answer #1>
10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001;
<answer #2>
one googol plus 1

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada

> C. You Send Mail

>    C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that
>        you can mail for a regular 59¢ postage stamp?

35 g; 40 g

>    C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
>        and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
>        destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
>        postage for any of several reasons.  Name any one.

the item is rigid; the item is oversized in terms of length & width

> E. Fresh-Water Islands

>    E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
>        largest *population*?

Montreal

> F. Referendums
>
>    F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
>        referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
>        it, "sovereignty-association"?

1976; 1977

>    F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
>        national referendum.  But in some provinces a majority
>        of votes were in favor of it.  Name any one of those
>        provinces.

New Brunswick; Prince Edward Island

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 26, 2011, 7:40:36 AM8/26/11
In article <d7udnZOYLeUWtsrT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> Marc, if your answer slate was truncated due to a technical problem
> or accidental keystroke or something of that kind, then please post
> again with the remaining answers you were going to give.

Thanks for the opportunity, but I do not have an answer for #10
and my signature is missing because Gravity reconfigured itself
and I haven't taken the time to restore it.

Stan Brown

Aug 26, 2011, 8:08:24 AM8/26/11
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:50:16 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Orders of Magnitude
>
> In this round each question asks you about a number. But we
> don't want you tell us the number; just tell us how many digits
> it has (ignoring any decimal or fractional part). For example,
> if we asked for the population of Canada, there are 8 digits in
> 34,000,000, *so you would say 8*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. The number of electrons that would weigh the same as one
> proton. Remember, we just need you to say *how many digits*
> are in the number.

Four

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

Two

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

Six

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

Eight

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

Five

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

Twelve

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

Three

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

Six

> 9. One googol.

One hundred one (a one, plus 100 zeroes)

> 10. One googolplex.

A google plus one (a one, plus a google of zeroes)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2011, 11:21:27 AM8/26/11
Mark Brader:

>> Marc, if your answer slate was truncated due to a technical problem
>> or accidental keystroke or something of that kind, then please post
>> again with the remaining answers you were going to give.

Marc Dashevsky:

> Thanks for the opportunity, but I do not have an answer for #10
> and my signature is missing because Gravity reconfigured itself
> and I haven't taken the time to restore it.

What really suggested a technical problem was that Round 9, Question 10
was quoted but not answered, then the whole of Round 10 was neither quoted
nor answered. Oh well.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Defendant's speech ends in long sentence"
m...@vex.net | --Minneapolis Tribune, February 25, 1981

Peter Smyth

Aug 26, 2011, 1:29:15 PM8/26/11

5

>2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?
2

>3. The distance to the Moon in miles.
6

>4. The distance to the Sun in miles.
10

>5. The number of seconds in a day.
5

>6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.
12

>7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.
6

>8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.
6
>9. One googol.
101
>10. One googolplex.
10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Peter Smyth

swp

Aug 26, 2011, 4:29:11 PM8/26/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:eYSdneHa--
x1lMrTnZ2dn...@vex.net:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Orders of Magnitude
>
> 1. The number of electrons that would weigh the same as one
> proton. Remember, we just need you to say *how many digits*
> are in the number.

4?

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

100

> 10. One googolplex.

googol (which is impossible to write out)

(note 1: there are only about 2.5 * 10^89 elementary particles in the
observable universe, so why would we ever need this number?)

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada
>
> Round 10 is the Canadiana round, or in other words, this is the
> challenge round from Canada. And speaking of Canada, after this
> round we'll see you in two weeks, because next Monday is the
> Presidents Day holiday, or as they want you to call it here,
> Family Day.

I didn't know that. thank you for teaching me something new today.

> A. Rough( )Riders
>
> A1. Name *either* the quarterback who led the Saskatchewan
> Roughriders from 1963 to 1978, or else their star running
> back of the same era who wore number 34 and gained more
> than 16,000 yards in his career.

jim brown

> A2. Name *either* the quarterback who led the *Ottawa* Rough
> Riders from 1959 to 1968, or else *their* star running
> back of the same era who wore number 11 and was only
> 5 feet, 7 or 8 inches tall.

mark brader

> B. Front Page Challenge
>
> B1. Name any two of the three panelists who appeared on
> "Front Page Challenge" for 25 years or longer. One joined
> the cast in 1961, another died in 1984, and the third was
> with the show for its entire 38-year run. Name any two.

smith, jones

> B2. Name the man who hosted the show for almost its entire
> run, *and* any *one* of the other three people (besides
> the correct answers to B1) who were regular panelists
> for several years each.

johnson ; magillacutty

> C. You Send Mail
>
> C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that
> you can mail for a regular 59¢ postage stamp?

30 grams

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

the destination is in the yukon above the arctic circle

> D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O
>
> D1. The category title refers to the 1999 breakup of
> Ontario Hydro by the Harris government into five successor
> companies. One of them specializes in transmission and
> local distribution; it owns and operates practically
> all of Ontario's long-distance transmission lines.
> Name that company.

no idea

> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?

drawing a blank here too

> E. Fresh-Water Islands
>
> E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest area?

manitoulin island (in lake huron)

> E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest *population*?

manitoulin island (in lake huron)

> F. Referendums
>
> F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?

1968 ; 1969

> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

northwest territories

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 26, 2011, 5:38:29 PM8/26/11

8

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

Using Swedish miles it would be 5. Since you probably have shorter
miles in Toronto pub, I guess you need 6 digits.

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

This time the answer 8 digits in both Swedish miles and Toronto-pub

miles.

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

15

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

5

> 9. One googol.

100

> 10. One googolplex.

One googol

> C. You Send Mail
>
> C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that
> you can mail for a regular 59¢ postage stamp?

20 g

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

Odd size

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2011, 6:15:34 PM8/26/11
Mark Brader:

>> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

Erland Sommarskog:

> Using Swedish miles it would be 5. Since you probably have shorter
> miles in Toronto pub, I guess you need 6 digits.

>> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.
>
> This time the answer 8 digits in both Swedish miles and Toronto-pub
> miles.

Correct all around. For anyone interested: our mile is 1.609344 km,
a length similar to the ancient Roman mile and those formerly used
in several other countries. But much longer "miles" were used
in German-speaking areas ("Meile" in German) and in Scandinavia
("mil", "miil", etc.). These were mostly around 7.5 km, but the
Swedish one was even bigger, nearly 10.7 km once they got around to
standardizing it. Today in Sweden and Norway they have adapted the
latter unit into the metric system by making it exactly 10 km.
--
Mark Brader | "I wish to inform you now that the square peg is now
Toronto | in square whole and can be voguish for that your

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 26, 2011, 8:39:32 PM8/26/11
On 8/25/2011 10:50 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Orders of Magnitude
>
> In this round each question asks you about a number. But we
> don't want you tell us the number; just tell us how many digits
> it has (ignoring any decimal or fractional part). For example,
> if we asked for the population of Canada, there are 8 digits in
> 34,000,000, *so you would say 8*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. The number of electrons that would weigh the same as one
> proton. Remember, we just need you to say *how many digits*
> are in the number.

13

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

101

> 10. One googolplex.

one googol + 1

50 g

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under<answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

Oversize

> D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O
>
> D1. The category title refers to the 1999 breakup of
> Ontario Hydro by the Harris government into five successor
> companies. One of them specializes in transmission and
> local distribution; it owns and operates practically
> all of Ontario's long-distance transmission lines.
> Name that company.
>
> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?
>
> E. Fresh-Water Islands
>
> E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest area?
>
> E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest *population*?
>
> F. Referendums
>

> F1. In what year did the Parti Qu�b�cois hold their first

> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?
>
> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

--Jeff

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 26, 2011, 10:07:26 PM8/26/11
In article <zd6dndTm6oZqJMrT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> Mark Brader:
> >> Marc, if your answer slate was truncated due to a technical problem
> >> or accidental keystroke or something of that kind, then please post
> >> again with the remaining answers you were going to give.
>
> Marc Dashevsky:
> > Thanks for the opportunity, but I do not have an answer for #10
> > and my signature is missing because Gravity reconfigured itself
> > and I haven't taken the time to restore it.
>
> What really suggested a technical problem was that Round 9, Question 10
> was quoted but not answered, then the whole of Round 10 was neither quoted
> nor answered. Oh well.

That round was so hopeless for me that I had already forgotten
about it by the time I replied to your offer.

Pete

Aug 27, 2011, 12:39:32 AM8/27/11

3

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

101

> 10. One googolplex.

Google + 1

2 ounces

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.
>
> D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O
>
> D1. The category title refers to the 1999 breakup of
> Ontario Hydro by the Harris government into five successor
> companies. One of them specializes in transmission and
> local distribution; it owns and operates practically
> all of Ontario's long-distance transmission lines.
> Name that company.
>
> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?
>
> E. Fresh-Water Islands
>
> E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest area?
>
> E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest *population*?

Montreal

> F. Referendums
>
> F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?

1980; 1981

> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

British Columbia; Alberta

Pete

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 27, 2011, 5:41:29 AM8/27/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Correct all around. For anyone interested: our mile is 1.609344 km,
> a length similar to the ancient Roman mile and those formerly used
> in several other countries. But much longer "miles" were used
> in German-speaking areas ("Meile" in German) and in Scandinavia
> ("mil", "miil", etc.). These were mostly around 7.5 km, but the
> Swedish one was even bigger, nearly 10.7 km once they got around to
> standardizing it. Today in Sweden and Norway they have adapted the
> latter unit into the metric system by making it exactly 10 km.

I see on Swedish Wikipedia that before 1649, it is said that every province
in Sweden had its own definition of a mile, ranging from approx 6000 metres
in Finland to 14485 metres in Dalecarlia.

I don't want to vouch for whether this is correct or someone just made
that up.

Dan Blum

Aug 27, 2011, 9:14:14 PM8/27/11

4

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

101

> 10. One googolplex.

1 googol + 1

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada

> A. Rough( )Riders

> A2. Name *either* the quarterback who led the *Ottawa* Rough
> Riders from 1959 to 1968, or else *their* star running
> back of the same era who wore number 11 and was only
> 5 feet, 7 or 8 inches tall.

Jack Kemp

> C. You Send Mail

> C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that

> you can mail for a regular 59? postage stamp?

30 grams; 50 grams

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

The envelope is not rectangular

> D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O

> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power

> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?

nuclear; coal

> E. Fresh-Water Islands

> E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest *population*?

Montreal

> F. Referendums

> F1. In what year did the Parti Qu?b?cois hold their first

> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?

1967; 1971

> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

Prince Edward Island; Nova Scotia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Rob Parker

Aug 27, 2011, 9:48:13 PM8/27/11

4

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

3

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6

> 9. One googol.

101

> 10. One googolplex.

One googol +1

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada
>

> A1. Name *either* the quarterback who led the Saskatchewan
> Roughriders from 1963 to 1978, or else their star running
> back of the same era who wore number 34 and gained more
> than 16,000 yards in his career.

Johnson; Smith

> A2. Name *either* the quarterback who led the *Ottawa* Rough
> Riders from 1959 to 1968, or else *their* star running
> back of the same era who wore number 11 and was only
> 5 feet, 7 or 8 inches tall.

Jones; Johnson

> B1. Name any two of the three panelists who appeared on
> "Front Page Challenge" for 25 years or longer. One joined
> the cast in 1961, another died in 1984, and the third was
> with the show for its entire 38-year run. Name any two.

Smith & Jones; Johnson & Jones

> B2. Name the man who hosted the show for almost its entire
> run, *and* any *one* of the other three people (besides
> the correct answers to B1) who were regular panelists
> for several years each.

Evans & Johnson; James & Edwards

> C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that
> you can mail for a regular 59¢ postage stamp?

30g; 50g

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

Profiteering (a.k.a. gouging); tax

> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?

hydro; solar

> F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?

1950; 1995

> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

Saskatchewan; Quebec

Rob

Mark Brader

Aug 28, 2011, 11:13:13 PM8/28/11
Mark Brader:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-02-14,

> see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

Well, Game 5 has been the closest one I've seen for a while, but
Stephen Perry has squeaked out another win. Congratulations, sir!

(At least, I think he has -- but it's close enough that if there's
a scoring error, that result could change.)

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 5, Round 9 - Orders of Magnitude

> In this round each question asks you about a number. But we
> don't want you tell us the number; just tell us how many digits
> it has (ignoring any decimal or fractional part). For example,
> if we asked for the population of Canada, there are 8 digits in
> 34,000,000, *so you would say 8*. Answers may repeat.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. The number of electrons that would weigh the same as one
> proton. Remember, we just need you to say *how many digits*
> are in the number.

4. (It's about 1,836). 4 for Dan Tilque, Stan, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Rob.

> 2. The number of protons in an atom of uranium. How many digits?

2. (It's 92). 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stan, Peter, Stephen,
Erland, Jeff, Pete, and Dan Blum. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. The distance to the Moon in miles.

6. (It's about 240,000). 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stan,
Peter, Stephen, Erland, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob.

> 4. The distance to the Sun in miles.

8. (It's about 93,000,000). 4 for Calvin, Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
Stan, Stephen, Erland, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob.

> 5. The number of seconds in a day.

5. (It's 86,400). 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Marc, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Stan, Peter, Stephen, Erland, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob.

> 6. The number of cubic feet in a cubic mile.

12. (It's 5,280 cubed, which is about 147,000,000,000). 4 for Marc,
Dan Tilque, Stan, Peter, Stephen, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob.
3 for Joshua.

> 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.

3. (It's about 750). 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stephen,
Erland, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob. 3 for Calvin.

> 8. The speed of *light* in air, in miles per *second*.

6. (It's about 186,000). 4 for Calvin, Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
Stan, Peter, Stephen, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob.

> 9. One googol.

101 (but we're generously accepting 100). (It's the number 10,000,-
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,-
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
containing 100 zeroes). 4 for everyone.

> 10. One googolplex.

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,-
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,-
000,001, which is to say one googol and one. (But we're generously
accepting "one googol".) (It's the number formed from 1 followed by
one googol zeroes, or 10 to the power googol; there aren't nearly
enough atoms in the universe to write it out in full. And it came
up on "Jeopardy!" after this round was all written and 4 days before
it was played.)

4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua (the hard way), Stan, Peter, Stephen,
Erland, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob.

And a raspberry to those who spelled it "google".

> * Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round from Canada

> Round 10 is the Canadiana round, or in other words, this is the

> challenge round from Canada...

> A. Rough( )Riders

> A1. Name *either* the quarterback who led the Saskatchewan
> Roughriders from 1963 to 1978, or else their star running
> back of the same era who wore number 34 and gained more
> than 16,000 yards in his career.

Ron Lancaster, George Reed.

> A2. Name *either* the quarterback who led the *Ottawa* Rough
> Riders from 1959 to 1968, or else *their* star running
> back of the same era who wore number 11 and was only
> 5 feet, 7 or 8 inches tall.

Russ Jackson, Ron Stewart. Sorry, no "almost correct" points for
"Johnson"!

> B. Front Page Challenge

> B1. Name any two of the three panelists who appeared on
> "Front Page Challenge" for 25 years or longer. One joined
> the cast in 1961, another died in 1984, and the third was
> with the show for its entire 38-year run. Name any two.

Betty Kennedy, Gordon Sinclair, Pierre Berton.

> B2. Name the man who hosted the show for almost its entire
> run, *and* any *one* of the other three people (besides
> the correct answers to B1) who were regular panelists
> for several years each.

Host: Fred Davis. Panelists: Toby Robins (1957-61), Allan
Fotheringham (1984-95), Jack Webster (1990-95).

> C. You Send Mail

> C1. In Canada, what is the maximum weight of letter that
> you can mail for a regular 59¢ postage stamp?

30 grams. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum and Rob.

> C2. Even if the thing you're mailing is under <answer C1>
> and you're sending it by regular lettermail to a
> destination in Canada, you can still be charged extra
> postage for any of several reasons. Name any one.

* Item is not rectangular;
* item is not a postcard or sealed envelope;
* item is oversize (to be exact, over 245 mm long or 156 mm wide
or 5 mm thick, but "oversize" was sufficient);
* postal code is missing or wrong.

4 for Calvin, Dan Tilque, Jeff, and Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua
and Erland.

> D. Ontario H, Y, D, R, and O

> D1. The category title refers to the 1999 breakup of
> Ontario Hydro by the Harris government into five successor
> companies. One of them specializes in transmission and
> local distribution; it owns and operates practically
> all of Ontario's long-distance transmission lines.
> Name that company.

Hydro One.

> D2. Another successor to Ontario Hydro is Ontario Power
> Generation. As of December 31, 2009, which of the three
> main types of power stations provides the largest share,
> or just over 3/8, of the company's total generating
> capacity?

Thermal, i.e. fossil fuels. Specific fossil fuels were scored,
somewhat generously, as "almost correct". 1 for Dan Blum.

Solar?! Get serious. According to the company's annual report,
the numbers are:

Thermal 8,177 MW (37.63%)
Hydro 6,944 MW (31.96%)
Nuclear 6,606 MW (30.40%)
Other 2 MW (0.01%)

When this game was originally played, someone with considerable
knowledge of the subject claimed that the answer was wrong. If this
player's information is correct, the it would seem that OPG treats
a significant part of the thermal generation capacity as a reserve,
so that if the question had asked about power actually generated,
the answer would have been different.

> E. Fresh-Water Islands

> E1. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest area?

Manitoulin. (In Lake Huron. In fact, it is the largest island in
a lake in the world.) 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> E2. Of Canadian islands in fresh water, which one has the
> largest *population*?

Montreal. (In the St. Lawrence River. In fact, it has the
largest population of all Canadian islands.) 4 for Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

Laval was a good guess; the river divides into three streams through
the metropolitan area and Laval occupies the *other* main island.
But I did not think it rated an "almost correct".

> F. Referendums

> F1. In what year did the Parti Québécois hold their first
> referendum on independence for Quebec, or as they called
> it, "sovereignty-association"?

1980. 3 for Pete.

> F2. In 1995 the Charlottetown Accord was defeated in a
> national referendum. But in some provinces a majority
> of votes were in favor of it. Name any one of those
> provinces.

P.E.I. (73.9%), Newfoundland (63.2%), New Brunswick (61.8%), Ontario
(50.1%). 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua (again the hard way). 3 for
Dan Blum.

If you were going to guess, actually naming a province might have
been a good idea.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Ent His Lit Spo Mis Sci Can SIX
Stephen Perry 18 32 32 45 36 31 40 8 216
Joshua Kreitzer 27 36 32 42 35 32 35 11 212
Dan Tilque 32 16 24 31 24 32 40 12 183
Marc Dashevsky 28 28 12 24 36 24 32 0 172
Dan Blum 22 12 32 42 10 16 40 15 167
Jeff Turner 20 12 20 26 24 32 36 4 158
Pete Gayde -- -- 20 18 36 16 36 7 133
Peter Smyth 24 4 20 42 14 4 28 0 132
"Calvin" 12 12 36 38 12 0 22 4 132
Rob Parker 8 8 20 32 4 8 36 3 112
Erland Sommarskog 14 0 20 4 -- -- 28 3 69
Stan Brown -- -- -- -- -- -- 36 0 36

--
Mark Brader | "Which humans of that time did here whether this place
Toronto | was cult place already at that time, extracts itself

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 29, 2011, 9:57:38 AM8/29/11
In article <C9ydnYFAat9UnsbT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> > 9. One googol.
>
> 101 (but we're generously accepting 100).

This generosity affects the scores contending for first place.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Mark Brader

Aug 29, 2011, 11:34:57 AM8/29/11
Mark Brader:
>>> 9. One googol.

>> 101 (but we're generously accepting 100).

Marc Dashevsky:

> This generosity affects the scores contending for first place.

Can't help it; I'm being consistent with the original game.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't be evil."
m...@vex.net -- corporate policy, Google Inc.

Mark Brader

Aug 30, 2011, 12:50:53 AM8/30/11
Mark Brader:

> > 7. The speed of sound in air, in miles per hour.
>
> 3. (It's about 750). 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Stephen,
> Erland, Jeff, Pete, Dan Blum, and Rob. 3 for Calvin.

Also 4 for Stan. He threw me by spelling his answers differently than
everyone else's. Revised scores, if there are no further errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Ent His Lit Spo Mis Sci Can SIX
Stephen Perry 18 32 32 45 36 31 40 8 216
Joshua Kreitzer 27 36 32 42 35 32 35 11 212
Dan Tilque 32 16 24 31 24 32 40 12 183
Marc Dashevsky 28 28 12 24 36 24 32 0 172
Dan Blum 22 12 32 42 10 16 40 15 167
Jeff Turner 20 12 20 26 24 32 36 4 158
Pete Gayde -- -- 20 18 36 16 36 7 133
Peter Smyth 24 4 20 42 14 4 28 0 132
"Calvin" 12 12 36 38 12 0 22 4 132
Rob Parker 8 8 20 32 4 8 36 3 112
Erland Sommarskog 14 0 20 4 -- -- 28 3 69

Stan Brown -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 0 40