Erland's Occasional Quiz: National heroes/icons

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 25, 2022, 5:02:18 PM7/25/22
It's time for one my occasional quizzes again. This time, the theme is
national icons/heroes. Below you have a list of names of persons who are
the hero or the icon of a country, and your task is simply to identify
the country.

You don't have to say how the person has earned that reputation, but feel
free to add a brief explanation. In case of a tie, I will use these
explanations to settle on a winner.

As always, post the answers to the newsgroup. And as always, only use your
knowledge, so no googling, asking the cats or whatever.

I plan to score this on Saturday 30th (but it could slip a day or two,
if Swedish summer weather compels me to be outdoors).

1. Skanderbeg

2. Bernardo O'Higgins

3. King Sejong

4. Gustav Vasa

5. Taras Shevchenko

6. Kemal Atatürk

7. Toussaint Louverture

8. José Martí

9. Marianne

10. Julius Nyrere

11. José de San Martín

12. Muhammad Ali Jinnah

HAVE FUN!

Mark Brader

Jul 25, 2022, 5:49:05 PM7/25/22
Erland Sommarskog:
> 1. Skanderbeg

Iceland?

> 2. Bernardo O'Higgins

Chile.

> 3. King Sejong

Korea?

> 4. Gustav Vasa

Sweden.

> 5. Taras Shevchenko

Russia?

> 6. Kemal Atatürk

Turkey. Or Türkiye if you must.

> 7. Toussaint Louverture

Haiti.

> 8. José Martí

Cuba.

> 9. Marianne

France.

> 10. Julius Nyrere

Kenya?

> 11. José de San Martín

Colombia?

> 12. Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Iran?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...everything else in [the] list is wrong;
m...@vex.net | why should [this] be correct?" -- Rob Novak

Dan Blum

Jul 25, 2022, 11:13:01 PM7/25/22
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. Skanderbeg

Albania

> 2. Bernardo O'Higgins

Chile

> 3. King Sejong

(South) Korea

> 4. Gustav Vasa

Sweden

> 5. Taras Shevchenko

Ukraine

> 6. Kemal Atat?rk

Turkey

> 7. Toussaint Louverture

Haiti

> 8. Jos? Mart?

Cuba

> 9. Marianne

France

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 26, 2022, 12:59:43 AM7/26/22
On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 4:02:18 PM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> 1. Skanderbeg

Albania

> 2. Bernardo O'Higgins

Chile

> 3. King Sejong

Korea (inventor of the Hangul writing system)

> 4. Gustav Vasa

Sweden

> 5. Taras Shevchenko

Ukraine

> 6. Kemal Atatürk

Turkey (founder of the modern country in the early 20th century)

> 7. Toussaint Louverture

Haiti (leader of the slave revolt against France)

> 8. José Martí

Cuba (poet)

> 9. Marianne

France (symbolic female personification of the country)

> 10. Julius Nyrere

Tanzania

> 11. José de San Martín

Argentina

> 12. Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Pakistan (first prime minister of the country following the partition from India)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Jul 27, 2022, 9:29:37 PM7/27/22
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It's time for one my occasional quizzes again. This time, the theme is
> national icons/heroes. Below you have a list of names of persons who are
> the hero or the icon of a country, and your task is simply to identify
> the country.
>
> You don't have to say how the person has earned that reputation, but feel
> free to add a brief explanation. In case of a tie, I will use these
> explanations to settle on a winner.
>
> As always, post the answers to the newsgroup. And as always, only use your
> knowledge, so no googling, asking the cats or whatever.
>
> I plan to score this on Saturday 30th (but it could slip a day or two,
> if Swedish summer weather compels me to be outdoors).
>

> 1. Skanderbeg

Faroe Islands

> 2. Bernardo O'Higgins

Chile

> 3. King Sejong

Burma

> 4. Gustav Vasa

Finland

> 5. Taras Shevchenko

Ukraine

> 6. Kemal Atatürk

Turkey

> 7. Toussaint Louverture

Haiti

> 8. José Martí

Cuba

> 9. Marianne

San Marino

> 10. Julius Nyrere

Cameroon

> 11. José de San Martín

Argentina

> 12. Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Pakistan

> HAVE FUN!

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jul 29, 2022, 2:26:38 AM7/29/22
On 7/25/22 14:02, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It's time for one my occasional quizzes again. This time, the theme is
> national icons/heroes. Below you have a list of names of persons who are
> the hero or the icon of a country, and your task is simply to identify
> the country.
>
> You don't have to say how the person has earned that reputation, but feel
> free to add a brief explanation. In case of a tie, I will use these
> explanations to settle on a winner.
>
> As always, post the answers to the newsgroup. And as always, only use your
> knowledge, so no googling, asking the cats or whatever.
>
> I plan to score this on Saturday 30th (but it could slip a day or two,
> if Swedish summer weather compels me to be outdoors).
>

> 1. Skanderbeg
>
> 2. Bernardo O'Higgins

Chile

> 3. King Sejong
>
> 4. Gustav Vasa

Sweden

> 5. Taras Shevchenko
>
> 6. Kemal Atatürk

Turkey

> 7. Toussaint Louverture

Haiti

> 8. José Martí

Cuba

> 9. Marianne

France

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 30, 2022, 5:58:02 PM7/30/22
This is quiz is over and Joshua Kreizer is the undisputed winnner with
a perfect score, amazing!

Here are the scores:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Joshua 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 12
Dan B 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 - - - 9
Mark B - 1 1 1 - 1 1 1 1 - - - 7
Pete G - 1 - - 1 1 1 1 - - 1 1 7
Dan T - 1 - 1 - 1 1 1 1 - - - 6

And here are the answers:

> 1. Skanderbeg

Albania.

Although there was no Albanian state in the 15th century, it was
due Skanderbeg that the Albanians was the last people to be
subdued by the Ottomans in this part of the Balkan peninsula.

> 2. Bernardo O'Higgins

Chile. He was one of independence leaders.

> 3. King Sejong

Korea. (No distinction needed between North and South here)

Sejong was king in the 15th centuty, and is considered as one of
the greatest leaders in Korean history. His partcicular claim to
fame is the development of the Hangul script, which is a phonetic
script, in difference to the ideographic characters. Some records
claimed the he invented it himself.

> 4. Gustav Vasa

Sweden. When he was crowned king 1523, this marked the end of the
Union of Kalmar, and re-established Sweden as an independent state.

> 5. Taras Shevchenko

Ukraine. He was a writer and artist who was instrumental in
forming a modern Ukranian literary language. I think all
Ukranian cities I have visited have a statue of Sevchenko,
often in bigger format. Here is one example from Poltava:
http://privat.sommarskog.se/Ukraina2014/Mellan/05-Poltava-
trainview/120_IMG_1326.jpg.

> 6. Kemal Atatürk

Turkey. The founder of the modern Turkish state from the remnants
of the Ottoman empire.

> 7. Toussaint Louverture

Haïti. Leader of the slave revolt that lead to Haïti's independence.

> 8. José Martí

Cuba. The only reason I know about him, is his frequent appearances
in the Toronto pub quizzes. :-)

> 9. Marianne

France. In difference to everyone else, not a rel person, but an
personification of the French ideals.

> 10. Julius Nyrere

Tanzania. The first president of Tanzania, and instrumental in the
unification of Tangayika and Zanibar.

> 11. José de San Martín

Argentina. Independence leader, not only for Argentina, but also Chile
and Perú. But it his in native Argentina that the worship is taken
to a different level. The are many Argetinian cities where the
main square is Piazza San Martin, or the main drag is named after
him.

> 12. Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Pakistan. The first governor-general of Pakistan, and also the driving
force that there would be a separate Muslim state formed on the
Indian subcontinent.