QFTCIBSI Game 2, Rounds 2-3: daughters and mothers and beers

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2016, 2:18:24 AM1/29/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters

We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.

1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.
2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.
3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.
4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.
5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.
6. Apple Martin, born 2004.
7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.
8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.
9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.
10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.

* Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!

It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.

1. Kingfisher.
2. Kronenbourg 1664.
3. Peroni.
4. Bass.
5. Stiegl.
6. Carlsberg.
7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").
8. Yuengling.
9. Red Stripe.

10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Canadian seals deal with creditors"
m...@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, July 1, 1997

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 29, 2016, 8:04:30 AM1/29/16
In article <RaSdnbcRfLOijzbL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.
Katie Holmes

> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.
Demi Moore

> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.
Grace Kelly

> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.
Jane Birkin

> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.
Goldie Hawn

> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.
Gwyneth Paltrow

> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.
Blythe Danner

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.
Debbie Reynolds

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.
Judy Garland

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.
India

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.
Germany

> 3. Peroni.
Italy

> 4. Bass.
U.K.

> 5. Stiegl.
Austria

> 6. Carlsberg.
Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").
> 8. Yuengling.
U.S.

> 9. Red Stripe.
Jamaica

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

Dan Blum

Jan 29, 2016, 9:50:00 AM1/29/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters

> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.

Katie Holmes

> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.

Demi Moore

> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.

Princess Grace

> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.

Meg Ryan

> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.

Gwyneth Paltrow

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.

Debbie Reynolds

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.

Judy Garland

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!

> 1. Kingfisher.

Jamaica; UK

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

Germany

> 3. Peroni.

Italy; Belgium

> 4. Bass.

UK

> 5. Stiegl.

Belgium; Netherlands

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

Australia; Canada

> 8. Yuengling.

USA

> 9. Red Stripe.

Jamaica

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

Germany; Netherlands

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Jan 29, 2016, 10:41:59 AM1/29/16
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 01:18:23 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.
> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.
> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.

Grace Kelly

> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.
> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.
> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.

Gwyneth Paltrow

> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.

Blythe Danner

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.

Debbie Reynolds

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.

Judy Garland

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the name of
> a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.

India

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

France

> 3. Peroni.

Italy

> 4. Bass.

England

> 5. Stiegl.

Germany

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

Australia

> 8. Yuengling.

US of A

> 9. Red Stripe.

Jamaica

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

(I know this won't score points) One of the former Soviet Union countries,
but I don't have a clue which one (based on the hint)

Björn Lundin

Jan 29, 2016, 11:04:40 AM1/29/16
Judy Garland

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.
USA
> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.
France
> 3. Peroni.
Italy
> 4. Bass.
Belgium
> 5. Stiegl.
Germany
> 6. Carlsberg.
Denmark
> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").
The UK
> 8. Yuengling.
China
> 9. Red Stripe.
Canada

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

The Netherlands

Björn

Peter Smyth

Jan 29, 2016, 1:16:16 PM1/29/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's mother.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.
Katie Holmes
> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.
Demi Moore
> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.
Grace Kelly
> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.
Jane Birkin
> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.
Goldie Hawn
> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.
Gwyneth Paltrow
> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.
> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.
> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.
Judy Garland
> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.
India
> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.
France
> 3. Peroni.
Italy
> 4. Bass.
Ireland
> 5. Stiegl.
Germany
> 6. Carlsberg.
Denmark
> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").
Australia
> 8. Yuengling.
China
> 9. Red Stripe.
Jamaica
> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is not from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".
Spain

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2016, 3:10:03 PM1/29/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.

India

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

Belgium

> 3. Peroni.

Italy

> 4. Bass.

UK

> 5. Stiegl.

Austria

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

France

> 8. Yuengling.

South Korea

> 9. Red Stripe.

Australia

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

Mexico

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 29, 2016, 7:02:19 PM1/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:RaSdnbcRfLOijzbLnZ2dnUU7-
eWd...@giganews.com:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.

Katie Holmes

> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.

Demi Moore

> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.

Princess Grace of Monaco

> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.

Jane Birkin

> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.

Goldie Hawn

> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.

Gwyneth Paltrow

> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.

Blythe Danner

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.

Debbie Reynolds

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.

Judy Garland

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.

Reese Witherspoon

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.

Australia

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

Austria; Belgium

> 3. Peroni.

Italy

> 4. Bass.

Ireland

> 5. Stiegl.

Austria; Germany

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

UK; New Zealand

> 8. Yuengling.

United States

> 9. Red Stripe.

Jamaica

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

Netherlands; Czech Republic

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 29, 2016, 8:42:20 PM1/29/16
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 2:18:24 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.
Katie Holmes
> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.
Demi Moore
> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.
Queen Elizabeth II
> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.
> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.
Goldie Hawn
> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.
Gwyneth Paltrow
> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.
Blythe Danner
> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.
Debbie Reynolds
> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.
Judy Garland
> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.
> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.
> 3. Peroni.
> 4. Bass.
> 5. Stiegl.
> 6. Carlsberg.
> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").
> 8. Yuengling.
Japan
> 9. Red Stripe.
Jamaica

Pete

Jan 31, 2016, 5:21:05 PM1/31/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:RaSdnbcRfLOijzbLnZ2dnUU7-
eWd...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.

Katie Holmes

> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.

Demi Moore

> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.

Princess Grace of Monaco

> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.
> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.
> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.

Gwyneth Paltrow

> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.

Blythe Danner

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.

Debbie Reynolds

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.

Judy Garland

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.
>

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.

India

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

France

> 3. Peroni.

Italy

> 4. Bass.

England

> 5. Stiegl.

Austria

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

Australia

> 8. Yuengling.

United States

> 9. Red Stripe.

Philippines

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

Thailand

Pete

Calvin

Jan 31, 2016, 6:53:51 PM1/31/16
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 5:18:24 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters
>
> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.
>
> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.

> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.

Demi Moore

> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.

Grace Kelly

> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.

Melanie Griffith?

> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.

Goldie Hawn

> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.

Gwyneth Paltrow

> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.

Blythe Danner

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.

Debbie Reynolds

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.

Judy Garland

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.

Reese Witherspoon

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.
>
> 1. Kingfisher.

India

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

France

> 3. Peroni.

Italy

> 4. Bass.

UK, USA

> 5. Stiegl.

Austria

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

Australia

> 8. Yuengling.

China, Taiwan

> 9. Red Stripe.

Jamaica

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

USA, UK

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2016, 1:18:16 AM2/1/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Entertainment - Mothers & Daughters

> We'll name a famous female and you name that person's *mother*.

First names of all fathers -- or alleged fathers, for those of a
suspicious mind -- are shown in parentheses. In each case where a
surname is shown for the daughter, the father's surname is the same.

> 1. Suri Cruise, born 2006.

Katie Holmes. (Tom.) 4 for Marc, Dan, Peter, Joshua, Jason,
and Pete.

> 2. Rumer Willis, born 1988.

Demi Moore. (Bruce.) 4 for Marc, Dan, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 3. Caroline, Princess of Hanover, born 1957.

Princess Grace (Kelly). (Prince Rainier.) 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce,
Peter, Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> 4. Charlotte Gainsbourg, born 1971.

Jane Birkin. (Serge.) 4 for Marc, Peter, and Joshua.

> 5. Kate Hudson, born 1979.

Goldie Hawn. (Bill.) 4 for Marc, Peter, Joshua, Jason, and Calvin.

> 6. Apple Martin, born 2004.

Gwyneth Paltrow. (Chris.) 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Peter, Joshua,
Jason, Pete, and Calvin.

> 7. Gwyneth Paltrow, born 1972.

Blythe Danner. (Bruce.) 4 for Marc, Bruce, Joshua, Jason, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 8. Carrie Fisher, born 1956.

Debbie Reynolds. (Eddie.) 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Joshua, Jason,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 9. Liza Minnelli, born 1946.

Judy Garland. (Vincente.) 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Björn, Peter,
Joshua, Jason, Pete, and Calvin.

> 10. Ava Philippe ("Philip-ee"), born 1999.

Reese Witherspoon. (Ryan.) 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!

> It's Beer Week in Toronto. In each case, you will be given the
> name of a beer. Identify the beer's country of origin.

> 1. Kingfisher.

India. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Peter, Erland, Pete, and Calvin.

> 2. Kronenbourg 1664.

France. 4 for Bruce, Björn, Peter, Pete, and Calvin.

> 3. Peroni.

Italy. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Björn, Peter, Erland, Joshua, Pete,
and Calvin. 3 for Dan.

> 4. Bass.

UK (or specifically England). 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Erland,
and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 5. Stiegl.

Austria. 4 for Marc, Erland, Pete, and Calvin. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. Carlsberg.

Denmark. 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Björn, Peter, Erland, Joshua,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 7. Castlemaine XXXX ("four X").

Australia. 4 for Bruce, Peter, Pete, and Calvin. 3 for Dan.

> 8. Yuengling.

United States. 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Red Stripe.

Jamaica. 4 for Marc, Dan, Bruce, Peter, Joshua, Jason, and Calvin.

> 10. A. Lecoq. Hint: the fact that this beer is *not* from a
> French-speaking country is an important plot point in Peter
> Robinson's "Watching the Dark".

Estonia.

Sorry, no points for "(I know this won't score points.) One of the
former Soviet Union countries, but I don't have a clue which one."

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Marc Dashevsky 36 28 64
"Calvin" 32 31 63
Pete Gayde 28 32 60
Joshua Kreitzer 40 19 59
Peter Smyth 28 24 52
Bruce Bowler 20 32 52
Dan Blum 24 22 46
Jason Kreitzer 28 4 32
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20
Björn Lundin 4 12 16

--
Mark Brader | "If there had been government -- and dare I say industrial?
Toronto | -- research establishments in the Stone Age, by now we
| would have invented steel." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 1, 2016, 5:27:22 AM2/1/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>
> India.
> France.
> Italy.
> UK (or specifically England).
> Austria.
> Denmark.
> Australia.
> United States.
> Jamaica.
> Estonia.

And not a single Belgian, German or Czech beer! This can only happen in
Toronto!

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 1, 2016, 1:08:02 PM2/1/16
On 2016-02-01, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>>> * Game 2, Round 3 - Geography - Happy New Beer!
>>
>> India.
>> France.
>> Italy.
>> UK (or specifically England).
>> Austria.
>> Denmark.
>> Australia.
>> United States.
>> Jamaica.
>> Estonia.
>>

> And not a single Belgian, German or Czech beer! This can only happen in
> Toronto!

All those have been asked in previous seasons.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Björn Lundin

Feb 1, 2016, 4:21:33 PM2/1/16
All? That would be quite a quiz.
I think there are 270+ beer in Belgium alone.
(and wikipedia says 1100+)

Björn

Chris F.A. Johnson

Feb 2, 2016, 12:08:02 AM2/2/16