QFTCI16 Current Events 1-2

Mark Brader

May 31, 2016, 12:06:58ā€ÆAM5/31/16
And now it's time to start another QFTCI Current Events game.
As usual, these rounds will be posted concurrently with other,
non-current-events games, and all current events rounds through
the season will be scored as a separate game.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events

1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.

2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
may have discovered what?

3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)

4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
still available.

5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
win this thing, y'know?

6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
last, according to Toronto police?

7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
to follow in coming weeks.

8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
last week?

9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
not Donald J. Trump.

10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
rude" to her ambassador?

* Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events

1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
Wednesday?

2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
business leaders?

3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
lam as of press time. Name the species.

4. Last week an acclaimed Canadian musical group made the
distressing announcement that their front-man had been diagnosed
with terminal cancer, and also signaled their intention to
undertake one last tour. Name the singer.

5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
Which country was it?

6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
the first female Bond?

7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?

8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?

9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?

10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
residence last Monday?

--
Mark Brader "It's simply a matter of style, and while there
Toronto are many wrong styles, there really isn't any

Dan Blum

May 31, 2016, 12:55:17ā€ÆAM5/31/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?

a Mayan city
(but he didn't)

> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)

Morley Safer

> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?

Indiana

> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.

smartphone

> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?

Steph Curry

> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.

Budweiser

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?

Russia

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events

> 1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
> canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
> Wednesday?

Donald Trump was on the show

> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?

Japan

> 3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
> rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
> dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
> lam as of press time. Name the species.

capybara

> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?

Vietnam

> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?

Gillian Anderson; Emily Blunt

> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?

USA; Sweden

> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?

Heimlich

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

May 31, 2016, 2:03:09ā€ÆAM5/31/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:R9Sdna4uSo58kNDKnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
> last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
> let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
> occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.

transit of Mercury

> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?

a Mayan city

> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)

Peter Arnett

> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?

Oregon

> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.

Bitcoin

> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?

Lebron James

> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.

Budweiser

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?

China

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?

France (?)

> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?

Vietnam

> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?

Henry Heimlich

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 31, 2016, 3:37:39ā€ÆAM5/31/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
> last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
> let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
> occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.

transit of Mercury

> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?

planet nine ??

> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)
>
> 4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
> court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
> week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
> still available.
>
> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?

Wisconsin

> 6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
> than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
> occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
> last, according to Toronto police?
>
> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.
>
> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?

Steve Curry

> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.

Budweiser

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?
>

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
> canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
> Wednesday?
>
> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?

Japan

> 3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
> rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
> dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
> lam as of press time. Name the species.

paca ?

> 4. Last week an acclaimed Canadian musical group made the
> distressing announcement that their front-man had been diagnosed
> with terminal cancer, and also signaled their intention to
> undertake one last tour. Name the singer.
>
> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?

Vietnam

> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?
>
> 7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
> popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
> a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?
>
> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?
>
> 9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
> opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
> 4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?
>
> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?

Heimlich

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

May 31, 2016, 7:23:09ā€ÆAM5/31/16
In article <R9Sdna4uSo58kNDK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
> last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
> let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
> occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.
>
> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?
exoplanet

> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)
Bill Moyers

> 4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
> court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
> week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
> still available.
>
> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?
Oregon

> 6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
> than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
> occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
> last, according to Toronto police?
>
> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.
>
> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?
Curry (what a performance last night)

> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.
Budweiser

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?
>

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
> canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
> Wednesday?
>
> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?
>
> 3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
> rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
> dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
> lam as of press time. Name the species.
capybara

> 4. Last week an acclaimed Canadian musical group made the
> distressing announcement that their front-man had been diagnosed
> with terminal cancer, and also signaled their intention to
> undertake one last tour. Name the singer.
>
> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?
Vietnam

> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?
>
> 7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
> popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
> a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?
>
> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?
>
> 9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
> opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
> 4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?
>
> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?
Heimlich

Peter Smyth

May 31, 2016, 2:39:02ā€ÆPM5/31/16
Transit of Mercury
> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?
A comet
> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)
>
> 4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
> court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
> week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
> still available.
>
> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?
Kentucky, Indiana
> 6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
> than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
> occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
> last, according to Toronto police?
>
> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.
Contactless cards
> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?
Curry
> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.
>
> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?
China

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
> canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
> Wednesday?
>
> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?
France, Germany
> 3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
> rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
> dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
> lam as of press time. Name the species.
Chincilla
> 4. Last week an acclaimed Canadian musical group made the
> distressing announcement that their front-man had been diagnosed
> with terminal cancer, and also signaled their intention to
> undertake one last tour. Name the singer.
>
> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?
Iran
> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?
>
> 7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
> popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
> a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?
>
> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?
USA, Russia
> 9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
> opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
> 4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?
>
> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?
Heimlich

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

May 31, 2016, 3:16:04ā€ÆPM5/31/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
> last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
> let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
> occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.

Lunar eclipse

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?

China

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?

Italy

> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?

Cuba

> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?

Finland

> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?

Mr Heimlich himself!

Jason Kreitzer

May 31, 2016, 8:33:30ā€ÆPM5/31/16
Morley Safer
> 4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
> court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
> week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
> still available.
>
> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?
>
> 6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
> than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
> occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
> last, according to Toronto police?
>
> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.
>
> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?
Stephen Curry
> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.
Budweiser
Vietnam
> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?
>
> 7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
> popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
> a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?
>
> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?
>
> 9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
> opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
> 4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?
>
> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?
Dr. Heimlich

Pete

Jun 1, 2016, 11:50:08ā€ÆPM6/1/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:R9Sdna4uSo58kNDKnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> And now it's time to start another QFTCI Current Events game.
> As usual, these rounds will be posted concurrently with other,
> non-current-events games, and all current events rounds through
> the season will be scored as a separate game.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
> last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
> let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
> occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.

Mercury transit of the sun

> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?
>
> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)

Morley Safer

> 4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
> court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
> week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
> still available.
>
> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?
>
> 6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
> than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
> occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
> last, according to Toronto police?
>
> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.

Bitcoin

> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?

Curry

> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.

Budweiser

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?

Turkey

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events
>
> 1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
> canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
> Wednesday?

Donald Trump was also on

> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?
>
> 3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
> rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
> dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
> lam as of press time. Name the species.
>
> 4. Last week an acclaimed Canadian musical group made the
> distressing announcement that their front-man had been diagnosed
> with terminal cancer, and also signaled their intention to
> undertake one last tour. Name the singer.

Coldplay

> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?

Vietnam

> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?

Lucy Lawless

> 7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
> popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
> a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?
>
> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?

Russia; Finland

> 9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
> opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
> 4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?
>
> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?

Dr Heimlich

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2016, 5:03:51ā€ÆAM6/3/16
Mark Brader:
> As usual, these rounds will be posted concurrently with other,
> non-current-events games, and all current events rounds through
> the season will be scored as a separate game.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates...

> For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1 (2016-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. What was the rare astronomical phenomenon that took place
> last Monday? Well, it's not really rare, but not common either;
> let's say about 13 times a century. The previous time it
> occurred was November 6, 2006, and the next time will be in 2019.

Transit of Mercury. A description was acceptable. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Peter, and Pete.

> 2. Also in astronomy news, a 15-year-old Quebec high school student,
> using star charts and satellite images (and perhaps stone knives
> and bearskins) gained media attention recently when he said he
> may have discovered what?

Ruins of a Mayan city. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Experts soon pooh-poohed the claim. See:
http://www.snopes.com/canadian-teen-satellite-maps/

> 3. When even the president has to defend a reporter as "not a
> communist, but a Canadian", you know the guy must have been doing
> something right. Which legendary journalist and Vietnam War
> correspondent announced last week that he was retiring from his
> long-time gig? (That president, by the way, was Lyndon Johnson.)

Morley Safer. (He died 8 days after the announcement.) 4 for
Dan Blum, Jason, and Pete.

> 4. Charges against Jian Ghomeshi were withdrawn and his second
> court case was resolved by way of what legal instrument last
> week? No word on whether that night DJ job at Radio Tehran is
> still available.

Peace bond. We also accepted "section 810", the applicable Criminal
Code reference.

> 5. Which US state felt the Bern last week, as the Vermont senator
> defeated Hillary Clinton in its primary? Dude could totally
> win this thing, y'know?

West Virginia.

> 6. Mayhem seems to follow the Eagles of Death Metal. Less dire
> than a terrorist attack, what unusual physical assault allegedly
> occurred at their concert at the Opera House the weekend before
> last, according to Toronto police?

Part of someone's ear was bitten off.

> 7. No extra money, but another way to spend it. The CIBC and
> RBC last week introduced what payment method? Other big banks
> to follow in coming weeks.

Apple Pay. (Exact answer required.)

> 8. Not only did he win it for the second consecutive year, he is
> the first unanimous winner. Which NBA player won the MVP award
> last week?

Stephen Curry. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Jason,
and Pete.

> 9. Which iconic US brand is changing its name to "America" for
> the duration of the current election cycle? No, the answer is
> not Donald J. Trump.

Budweiser. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Jason, and Pete.

> 10. David Cameron got in trouble recently for calling Nigeria and
> Afghanistan "corrupt". Meanwhile, in another part of the
> forest, his boss -- that being, shall we say, the indomitable
> ship QE II, also caused a kerfuffle -- when she was caught on
> video saying that *which country*'s officials had been "very
> rude" to her ambassador?

China. 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Erland.

> * Game 2 (2016-05-30), Round 1 -- Current Events

> 1. What reason did Canadian musicians Belly and The Weeknd give for
> canceling their scheduled appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" last
> Wednesday?

Donald Trump was also scheduled to appear. (Any reference to Trump
was sufficient.) 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 2. Justin Trudeau and his wife celebrated their 11th anniversary
> last week, and actually took the day off, leading to howls from
> the usual quarters. What country were they in at the time,
> where the Prime Minister also attended the G7 summit and met
> business leaders?

Japan. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Giant rodents abroad in the land! Two specimens of this large
> rodent species slipped the surly bonds of High Park Zoo, and,
> dubbed "Bonnie" and "Clyde" by the media, were still on the
> lam as of press time. Name the species.

Capybara. 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> 4. Last week an acclaimed Canadian musical group made the
> distressing announcement that their front-man had been diagnosed
> with terminal cancer, and also signaled their intention to
> undertake one last tour. Name the singer.

Gord Downie (of the Tragically Hip).

> 5. Last week President Obama made the controversial move of lifting
> the embargo on arms sales to a former enemy, or perhaps frenemy.
> Which country was it?

Vietnam. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Jason, and Pete.

> 6. Having already demonstrated her tough-gal bona fides, which
> actress tweeted last week that she'd be interested in playing
> the first female Bond?

Gillian Anderson. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre was forced to rescind a ban on a
> popular summer tourist activity after its proponents persuaded
> a judge to issue an injunction. What is it?

Using a calĨche (horse-drawn carriage).

> 8. No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs, but at least Canada won
> the IIHF World Hockey Championship last week. Which country
> did we beat 2-0 in the gold-medal game?

Finland. 4 for Erland. 2 for Pete.

> 9. Which popular clothing brand announced last week that it would be
> opening two of its own retail outlets, including a
> 4500-square-foot store at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre?

Canada Goose.

> 10. Which notable person employed the Heimlich maneuver to save
> the life of a choking 87-year-old woman at a Cincinnati seniors'
> residence last Monday?

Another resident at the same establishment -- Dr. Henry Heimlich!
4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Erland,
Jason, and Pete.

Heimlich is 96 and, in over 40 years since he developed and began
advocating the technique, this was his first time using it in a
real-life emergency. A staff member was also ready to save her,
but Heimlich was closer.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Dan Blum 16 23 39
Pete Gayde 16 14 30
Dan Tilque 12 12 24
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 24
Marc Dashevsky 8 12 20
Jason Kreitzer 12 8 20
Peter Smyth 12 4 16
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 12

--
Mark Brader "I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to
Toronto work in a group when you're omnipotent."