QFTCIUA Final, Round 2: History

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2015, 12:16:43 AM1/29/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 2 - History

* Political Noms de Guerre

These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?

1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.
2. Saloth Sar.
3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

* Saints of Early Medieval Ireland

In each case, name the saint.

4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.

6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

* Incidentally

These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
etc.

7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
Maddox incident; give its other name.

8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
What war ensued?

9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

* US Acts of Congress

Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
of the relevant law.

10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
of females for immoral purposes.

11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
in 1933.

* Cuba Libre

Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!

13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.

14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".

15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
The time-sharing system was designed very much for the convenience

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 29, 2015, 12:34:45 AM1/29/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AICdnTr6QsenX1TJnZ2dnUU7-c-
dn...@vex.net:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Minh

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Joseph Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

Patrick

> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

Brendan

> * Incidentally
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin incident

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Spanish-American War

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Powers

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.

Mann Act

> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.

Volstead Act

> * Cuba Libre
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.

Granma

> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".

Jose Marti

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jan 29, 2015, 10:43:25 AM1/29/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * Political Noms de Guerre

> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?

> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Minh

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Joseph Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland

> In each case, name the saint.

> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

Augustine

> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

Brendan

> * Incidentally

> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.

> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin incident

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Spanish-American War

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Powers

> * US Acts of Congress

> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.

> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.

Mann

> * Cuba Libre

> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revoluci?n!

> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".

Duarte

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Bolivia

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jan 29, 2015, 1:14:35 PM1/29/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.
Ho Chi Minh
> 2. Saloth Sar.
> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.
Joseph Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."
Patrick
> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. The second patron saint of Ireland may be the
> personification of a pagan Celtic deity. This saint's symbol
> is a distinctive cross that is woven from rushes or straw.
>
> 6. This navigator saint's legend tells of a journey with companions
> to several islands in the Atlantic Ocean, leading to modern
> myths that he discovered America.
Bolivia

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Jan 29, 2015, 1:24:29 PM1/29/15
On 2015-01-29 06:16, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.
Pol Pot

> 2. Saloth Sar.
Idi Amin

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.
Josef Stalin

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Boer war

> * Cuba Libre

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina

--
Björn

Bruce Bowler

Jan 29, 2015, 3:07:07 PM1/29/15
On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:16:42 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2014-09-15
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by their
> real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Min

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Joseph Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that is
> where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

St Patrick

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. The second patron saint of Ireland may be the
> personification of a pagan Celtic deity. This saint's symbol is a
> distinctive cross that is woven from rushes or straw.
>
> 6. This navigator saint's legend tells of a journey with companions
> to several islands in the Atlantic Ocean, leading to modern myths
> that he discovered America.

St Brendan

> * Incidentally
>
> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions, etc.
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the pretext
> for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS Maddox incident;
> give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin Incident

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898. What
> war ensued?

Spanish American

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Francis Gary Powers

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name of
> the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.
>
> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

Lindberg Law

> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.

Amendment 18 of the US constitution

> * Cuba Libre
>
> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of the Cuban
> Communist Party is named for it.
>
> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted into
> the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".
>
> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Bolivia?

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2015, 4:04:49 PM1/29/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 2 - History
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Min

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot?

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Stalin

> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

S:t Patrick

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.

S:t Patrick

> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

S:t Patrick

(And I didn't really bother to rot13, since I don't know any other
Irish saint...)

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

The Spanish-American war.

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

The Edge :-)

> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

Lindberg

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina

Dan Tilque

Jan 29, 2015, 5:13:35 PM1/29/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Minh

> 2. Saloth Sar.
> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Lenin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

St Patrick

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.

St Bridget

> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

St Brendan

> * Incidentally
>
> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin Incident

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Spanish-American War

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Francis Gary Powers

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.
>
> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

Lindbergh Act

> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.

Volstead Act

> * Cuba Libre
>
> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.
>
> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".
>
> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Venezuela

--
Dan Tilque

Rob Parker

Jan 29, 2015, 9:51:41 PM1/29/15
> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Minh

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot (?)

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Joseph Stalin

> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

Brendan

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.

Brendan

> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

Brendan

> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin incident

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

US-Cuban War ;-)

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Francis Gary Powers

> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

Lindbergh Act

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina

Rob

Calvin

Jan 30, 2015, 3:25:03 PM1/30/15
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 3:16:43 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Minh

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot, Idi Amin

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

Patrick

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.

Setanta?

> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.

Christopher?

> * Incidentally
>
> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.
>
> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Spanish-American War

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Powers

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.
>
> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.
>
> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.

Volstead

> * Cuba Libre
>
> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.
>
> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".
>
> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina

cheers,
calvin

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 30, 2015, 9:03:35 PM1/30/15
On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 12:16:43 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.
> 2. Saloth Sar.
> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.
3.Joseph Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."
>
> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.
>
> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.
>

> * Incidentally
>
> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.
Gulf of Tonkin
> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?
The Spanish-American War
> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.
>

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.
The Mann Act
> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.
Lindbergh
> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.
>

> * Cuba Libre
>
> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.
>
> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".
>
> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?
Bolivia?

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2015, 12:31:23 AM2/1/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 2 - History

> * Political Noms de Guerre

> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?

> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Ho Chi Minh. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Bruce, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Rob, and Calvin.

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, and Rob.
3 for Calvin.

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Joseph Stalin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Björn, Bruce, Erland,
Rob, Calvin, and Jason.

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland

> In each case, name the saint.

> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

St. Patrick. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Bruce, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. The second patron saint of Ireland may be the
> personification of a pagan Celtic deity. This saint's symbol
> is a distinctive cross that is woven from rushes or straw.

St. Brigit or Brigid. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. This navigator saint's legend tells of a journey with companions
> to several islands in the Atlantic Ocean, leading to modern
> myths that he discovered America.

St. Brendan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, and Rob.

> * Incidentally

> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.

> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin incident. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
Rob, and Jason.

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Spanish-American War. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Jason.

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Francis Gary Powers. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
Rob, and Calvin.

> * US Acts of Congress

> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.

> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.

Mann Act. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

Lindbergh Law. 4 for Bruce, Erland, Dan Tilque, Rob, and Jason.

> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.

Volstead Act. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

The 18th amendment to the US constitution is wrong -- it authorized
Congress to pass an act enforce prohibition, and the question was
about that act.

> * Cuba Libre

> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!

> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.

Granma. 4 for Joshua.

> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".

José Martí. 4 for Joshua.

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina. 4 for Joshua, Björn, Erland, Rob, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2
TOPICS-> His
Joshua Kreitzer 52
Bruce Bowler 36
Dan Tilque 36
Rob Parker 32
Dan Blum 32
"Calvin" 31
Erland Sommarskog 28
Jason Kreitzer 20
Peter Smyth 12
Björn Lundin 8
--
Mark Brader | "Fortunately, [this newsgroup] contains one of the world's
Toronto | largest herds of free-roaming pedants, thundering majestically

Pete

Feb 1, 2015, 12:38:38 AM2/1/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AICdnTr6QsenX1TJnZ2dnUU7-c-
dn...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.

Kim Il Sung

> 2. Saloth Sar.

Pol Pot

> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.

Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."

St Patrick

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.
>
> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.
>

> * Incidentally
>
> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.

Gulf of Tonkin incident

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?

Spanish-American

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.

Gary Powers

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.

Mann

> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.

Lindbergh

> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.
>

> * Cuba Libre
>
> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.
>
> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".
>
> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?

Argentina; Bolivia

Pete

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2015, 7:03:59 AM2/1/15
As Pete Gayde's answers were posted soon enough after the answer posting
that he would have been working on them when it went out, I am accepting
them.

Pete scores 4 each on questions 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11, and 3 on 15.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2
TOPICS-> His
Joshua Kreitzer 52
Bruce Bowler 36
Dan Tilque 36
Pete Gayde 35
Rob Parker 32
Dan Blum 32
"Calvin" 31
Erland Sommarskog 28
Jason Kreitzer 20
Peter Smyth 12
Björn Lundin 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto (require 'msb)
m...@vex.net -- Lars Lindberg

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 2, 2015, 1:12:55 PM2/2/15
In article <AICdnTr6QsenX1TJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 2 - History
>
> * Political Noms de Guerre
>
> These 20th-century political leaders weren't generally known by
> their real name. What names were they respectively better known by?
>
> 1. Nguyen Sinh Cung.
Ho Chi Minh

> 2. Saloth Sar.
> 3. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili.
Stalin

> * Saints of Early Medieval Ireland
>
> In each case, name the saint.
>
> 4. This saint wrote: "My father was Calporinus. He was a deacon...
> who lived at Bannavem Taburniae. His home was there, and that
> is where I was taken prisoner. I was 16 at the time."
Patrick

> 5. Please answer question #4 before decoding the rot13 for the
> next two. Gur frpbaq cngeba fnvag bs Verynaq znl or gur
> crefbavsvpngvba bs n cntna Prygvp qrvgl. Guvf fnvag'f flzoby
> vf n qvfgvapgvir pebff gung vf jbira sebz ehfurf be fgenj.
>
> 6. Guvf anivtngbe fnvag'f yrtraq gryyf bs n wbhearl jvgu pbzcnavbaf
> gb frireny vfynaqf va gur Ngynagvp Bprna, yrnqvat gb zbqrea
> zlguf gung ur qvfpbirerq Nzrevpn.
>

> * Incidentally
>
> These incidents preceded various wars, cold wars, police actions,
> etc.
>
> 7. In 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox was ineffectually attacked
> by small Soviet-built torpedo boats. This skirmish was the
> pretext for the Vietnam War. It's sometimes called the USS
> Maddox incident; give its other name.
Gulf of Tonkin

> 8. More than 260 lives were lost when the battleship Maine
> sank in Havana's harbor after a mysterious explosion in 1898.
> What war ensued?
Spanish-American War

> 9. The U2 incident didn't involve Bono at all. In 1960 a US spy
> pilot was shot down and captured by the Soviets. Name him.
Powers

> * US Acts of Congress
>
> Some laws are best known by the names of people connected to them,
> whether as legislators or otherwise. In each case, give that name
> of the relevant law.
>
> 10. The White Slave Traffic Act of 1910 banned interstate transport
> of females for immoral purposes.
Mann

> 11. The Federal Kidnapping Act, passed in 1932.
Lindbergh

> 12. The National Prohibition Act, passed in 1919 and repealed
> in 1933.
>

> * Cuba Libre
>
> Pour yourself a rum and Coke and Viva la Revolución!
>
> 13. Name the boat that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other rebels
> to Cuba in 1956. The newspaper of the Central Committee of
> the Cuban Communist Party is named for it.
>
> 14. The airport in Havana is named which Cuban national hero who
> was also a famous literary figure? One of his poems was adapted
> into the lyrics for the song "Guantanamera".
Marti (there's a public statue of him two blocks from my house in New Orleans)

> 15. The second-most-famous figure in the Cuban Revolution, Che
> Guevara, wasn't even Cuban. Where was he born?
Argentina

Mark Brader

Feb 2, 2015, 6:32:48 PM2/2/15
If Marc Dashevsky had posted his answers to this round on time, he would
have scored 36 points.
--
Mark Brader | "The race is not always to the swift,
Toronto | nor the battle to the strong --