Calvin's Quiz #371

Calvin

Dec 22, 2014, 3:06:50 AM12/22/14
1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?
2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?
3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?
4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?
5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?
6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?
7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?
8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?
9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?
10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 22, 2014, 3:15:37 AM12/22/14
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?

Isaac Hayes

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?

Adelaide

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros
> Boutros-Ghali?

Egyptian

> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?

16th

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following
> their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?

Robert Mugabe - no, wait he has not stepped down as anything, although
it is long overdue.

> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?

U-turn

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and
> English?

zero

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?

Green

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and
> Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

Singing in the Rain

Mark Brader

Dec 22, 2014, 3:40:49 AM12/22/14
"Calvin":
> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?

At one time I knew this.

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?

Brisbane?

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

Egyptian.

> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?

16th.

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?

Johnson.

> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?

Reflex.

> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?

Malta.

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?

6.

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?

Green?

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

Oh, Klahoma. :-)
--
Mark Brader | "...i will have hideous nightmares involving huge
Toronto | monsters in academic robes carrying long bloody
| Passage and Abridged." -- Helene Hanff

Peter Smyth

Dec 22, 2014, 4:09:26 AM12/22/14
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?
Isaac Hayes
> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?
Brisbane
> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros
> Boutros-Ghali?
Egyptian
> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?
16th
> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following
> their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?
Andy Flower
> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?
Reflex
> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?
Malta
> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and
> English?
Six (or Zero)
> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?
Blue
> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and
> Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?
Oklahoma

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Dec 22, 2014, 6:22:58 AM12/22/14
On 2014-12-22 09:06, Calvin wrote:
> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?
Perth
> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?
Egyptian
> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?
15th
> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?
dull (as unsharp)
> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?
zero
> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?
yellow

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 22, 2014, 7:11:20 AM12/22/14
In article <161eb0fd-cb39-4a39...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?
Isaac Hayes

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?
Perth

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?
Egyptian

> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?
16th

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?
> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?
reflex

> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?
Malta

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?
six (and zero, if one ignores accents)

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?
yellow

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?
Oklahoma!

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Dec 22, 2014, 10:54:01 AM12/22/14
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?

Mayfield

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?

Brisbane

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros
> Boutros-Ghali?

Pakistani

> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?

16th

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following
> their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?
> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?

Oblique

> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?

Singapore

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same
> way in French and English?

Six

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?

Blue

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and
> Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

Oklahoma

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Chris F.A. Johnson

Dec 23, 2014, 5:08:03 AM12/23/14
On 2014-12-22, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?

Isaac Hayes

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?

Brisbane

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

Egyptian

> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?

16th

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?
> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?

Reflex

> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?

Malta

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?

Six

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?

Yellow

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

Oklahoma

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Dec 23, 2014, 4:34:12 PM12/23/14
> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?

Isaac Hayes

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?

Perth

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?
> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?

16th

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following their
> 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?

Andy Flower

> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?

reflex

> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?

Malta (?)

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?

six

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?

yellow

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and
> Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

Oklahoma

Rob

Calvin

Dec 25, 2014, 3:34:06 PM12/25/14
On Monday, December 22, 2014 6:06:50 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Who composed the theme music for the 1974 film Shaft?

Isaac Hayes

> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?

Perth
Brisbane is third

> 3 What nationality was former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

Egyptian

> 4 William Shakespeare was born in which century?

16th (1564)

> 5 Which Zimbabwean stepped down as England cricket coach following their 5-0 Ashes loss last summer?

Andy Flower

> 6 What word describes an angle of greater than 180 degrees?

Reflex

> 7 Which island was awarded the George Cross during WWII?

Malta

> 8 What is the only digit to be spelt the same way in French and English?

Six
And arguably zero as well

> 9 What colour is the liqueur Galliano?

Yellow

> 10 Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! is a song from which Rodgers and Hammerstein musical first performed in 1943?

Oklahoma, also accepting "OK, Klahoma" from our Canadian contingent :-)

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 371
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 44 Rob Parker
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 48 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 43 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 45 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 6 36 Mark Brader
0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 4 20 Bjorn Lundin
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 18 Erland S
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 3 20 Pete Gayde
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 3 6 7 2 5 5 7 4 6 50 63%

Well done Rob.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Dec 26, 2014, 12:02:32 AM12/26/14
Calvin wrote:

>> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?
>
> Perth
> Brisbane is third

Just as a nitpick, you really should say metropolitan area instead of
city for this question. The City of Perth itself has about 20,000
people. Similarly, the City of Melbourne has less than 100,000 people
and the City of Sydney about 170,000.

Forgot to enter this quiz. Just as well; I'd have only gotten 3 or 4 of
them right.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jan 1, 2015, 10:07:54 PM1/1/15
On Friday, December 26, 2014 3:02:32 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
>

> >> 2 What is Australia's fourth most populous city?
> >
> > Perth
> > Brisbane is third
>
> Just as a nitpick, you really should say metropolitan area instead of
> city for this question.

Agreed, and noted for future reference.

cheers,
calvin