QFTCIBSI Game 1, Rounds 7-8: CanMurder, spoilers

Mark Brader

Jan 22, 2016, 7:24:56 PM1/22/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders

1. Michael Briere pleaded guilty to kidnapping and murdering
a 10-year-old girl who was walking past his house on
Bloor St. in 2003. Name the victim; *either* her first
name or last name will do.

2. What was the name of the 12-year-old shoeshine boy, the son
of impoverished Portuguese immigrants, whose sexual assault
and murder shocked Toronto in August 1977?

3. Valery Fabrikant was an associate professor of mechanical
engineering who shot and killed four colleagues in 1992 --
at which university?

4. Denis Lortie is a former Canadian Forces corporal who killed
three government employees when he attacked which building
in 1984?

5. Marc Lepine murdered 14 women and wounded 18 other people when
he attacked which school in 1989?

6. Grace Marks was a Canadian maid who was controversially convicted
of murdering her employer in 1843. In 1996, Margaret Atwood
published a novel based on the case. What was the title?

7. What is the name of the former colonel in the Canadian Forces
who was arrested on murder charges while in command of the
country's largest and busiest military air base, CFB Trenton?

8. A Hungarian-born Canadian former real estate developer who
was convicted in 1974 of arranging the murder of his wife.
It resulted in the longest trial in Canadian history.
What is his name?

9. Born Eric Clinton Kirk Newman, what is the better-known name
of the former pornographic actor and model who killed and
dismembered Lin Jun in 2012, then mailed limbs to elementary
schools and federal political party offices?

10. A now-demolished house at 57 Bayview St., Port Dalhousie, was
the scene of gruesome murders by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka.
Port Dalhousie is part of which Canadian city?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur
dhrfgvba nobhg zheqrere Znep Yrcvar, gur nafjre vf zber guna
bar jbeq. Vs lbh bayl tnir bar, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!

Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.

(As a courtesy to those who might yet see these movies and would
rather not hear about them from me, I have rot13'd the entire round.
You can pick out the dates from the rot13 to decide whether you'd
rather skip the round. Sorry, no bonus points if you can guess
the titles *without* decoding the rot13.)

1. Ireony Xvag jnf whfg znxvat hc gur fgbel. Ur jnf Xnlmre Fbmr
(cebabhaprq "Xnvfre Fbu-mnl") nyy nybat! Juvpu 1995 zbivr?

2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
zbivr?

3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?

6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?

9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

--
Mark Brader | "While President Obama isn't from Kenya, he is a Keynesian--
Toronto | so you can see where the confusion arises."

Dan Blum

Jan 22, 2016, 8:47:53 PM1/22/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders

> 3. Valery Fabrikant was an associate professor of mechanical
> engineering who shot and killed four colleagues in 1992 --
> at which university?

McGill

> 5. Marc Lepine murdered 14 women and wounded 18 other people when
> he attacked which school in 1989?

McGill

> 10. A now-demolished house at 57 Bayview St., Port Dalhousie, was
> the scene of gruesome murders by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka.
> Port Dalhousie is part of which Canadian city?

Halifax; Vancouver

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!

> 1. Ireony Xvag jnf whfg znxvat hc gur fgbel. Ur jnf Xnlmre Fbmr
> (cebabhaprq "Xnvfre Fbu-mnl") nyy nybat! Juvpu 1995 zbivr?

Usual Suspects

> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?

Citizen Kane

> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

Psycho

> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

Fight Club

> 5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
> vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
> ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
> zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?

Shutter Island

> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

The Empire Strikes Back

> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

The Planet of the Apes

> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

The Sixth Sense

> 10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
> obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
> Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
> Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

Friday the 13th

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 22, 2016, 10:39:43 PM1/22/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:lvidnUW2we_KVT_LnZ2dnUU7-
dWd...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders
>
> 5. Marc Lepine murdered 14 women and wounded 18 other people when
> he attacked which school in 1989?

Ecole Polytechnique

> 10. A now-demolished house at 57 Bayview St., Port Dalhousie, was
> the scene of gruesome murders by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka.
> Port Dalhousie is part of which Canadian city?

Toronto

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur
> dhrfgvba nobhg zheqrere Znep Yrcvar, gur nafjre vf zber guna
> bar jbeq. Vs lbh bayl tnir bar, tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr vg.
>
> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>
> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
> of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.
>
> 1. Ireony Xvag jnf whfg znxvat hc gur fgbel. Ur jnf Xnlmre Fbmr
> (cebabhaprq "Xnvfre Fbu-mnl") nyy nybat! Juvpu 1995 zbivr?

"The Usual Suspects"

> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?

"Citizen Kane"

> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

"Psycho"

> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

"Fight Club"

> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

"The Empire Strikes Back"

> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

"Planet of the Apes"

> 8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
> uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
> bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?

"Primal Fear"

> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

"The Sixth Sense"

> 10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
> obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
> Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
> Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

"Friday the 13th"

Suggestion: When you post the answers, please ROT-13 them too.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 23, 2016, 5:38:35 AM1/23/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Ah, Rosebud was the name of his childhood sled! Which 1941
> movie?

Citizen Kane

Björn Lundin

Jan 23, 2016, 6:51:47 AM1/23/16
On 2016-01-23 01:24, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>
> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
> of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.
>
> (As a courtesy to those who might yet see these movies and would
> rather not hear about them from me, I have rot13'd the entire round.
> You can pick out the dates from the rot13 to decide whether you'd
> rather skip the round. Sorry, no bonus points if you can guess
> the titles *without* decoding the rot13.)
>
> 1. Ireony Xvag jnf whfg znxvat hc gur fgbel. Ur jnf Xnlmre Fbmr
> (cebabhaprq "Xnvfre Fbu-mnl") nyy nybat! Juvpu 1995 zbivr?
>
> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?
>
> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

Psycho

> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?
>
> 5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
> vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
> ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
> zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?
>
> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

Star wars : The empire strikes back

> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

The planet of the apes
(The original one with Heston)

> 8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
> uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
> bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?
>
> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

The Sixth sense

> 10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
> obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
> Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
> Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

Friday the 13th
Björn

Peter Smyth

Jan 23, 2016, 12:29:36 PM1/23/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>
> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
> of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.
>
> (As a courtesy to those who might yet see these movies and would
> rather not hear about them from me, I have rot13'd the entire round.
> You can pick out the dates from the rot13 to decide whether you'd
> rather skip the round. Sorry, no bonus points if you can guess
> the titles without decoding the rot13.)
>
> 1. Verbal Kint was just making up the story. He was Kayzer Soze
> (pronounced "Kaiser Soh-zay") all along! Which 1995 movie?
The Usual Suspects
> 2. Ah, Rosebud was the name of his childhood sled! Which 1941
> movie?
Citizen Kane
> 3. The business owner himself dressed up as his deceased mother
> when he killed Marion Crane and a private detective called
> Arbogast. Which 1960 movie?
>
> 4. The unnamed narrator is suffering from dissociative identity
> disorder. He and soap salesman Tyler Durden are the same person.
> Which 1999 movie?
>
> 5. Detective Teddy Daniels goes to a hospital for the criminally
> insane to find a missing woman who drowned her children --
> no, actually Daniels is himself the criminally insane man who
> murdered that woman. Which 2010 movie?
>
> 6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
> Which 1980 movie?
Star Wars
> 7. Hey, that's the Statue of Liberty. It was Earth all along...
> You maniacs! God damn you all to hell! Which 1968 movie?
>
> 8. Aaron Stamper is acquitted of murdering an archbishop, but
> his shy, nervous, childlike persona was just an act. Turns
> out there was no Aaron, only Roy. Which 1996 movie?
>
> 9. Dr. Malcolm Crowe is a child psychiatrist working with Cole
> Sear, a child who can see dead people. Unknown to Dr. Crowe,
> Dr. Crowe himself is dead. Which 1999 movie?
The Sixth Sense
> 10. Camp Crystal Lake has been closed for 20 years after a young
> boy called Jason drowned there and two counselors were murdered.
> The camp is reopening -- and people are getting killed.
> Jason didn't actually drown! Which 1980 movie?

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Jan 23, 2016, 2:28:59 PM1/23/16
z...@irk.arg (Znex Oenqre) jevgrf:

> * Tnzr 1, Ebhaq 7 - Pnanqvnan Uvfgbel - Pnanqvna Zheqref

Cnff

> * Tnzr 1, Ebhaq 8 - Ragregnvazrag - Fcbvyre Nyreg!
>
> Zbivrf fbzrgvzrf raq jvgu n cybg gjvfg. Urer ner gra fcbvyref
> bs abj-jryy-xabja gjvfgf sbe lbh -- lbh anzr gur zbivrf. Abgr:
> vs n zbivr vf cneg bs n frevrf, gur frevrf gvgyr vf ABG fhssvpvrag.
>
> (Nf n pbhegrfl gb gubfr jub zvtug lrg frr gurfr zbivrf naq jbhyq
> engure abg urne nobhg gurz sebz zr, V unir ebg13'q gur ragver ebhaq.
> Lbh pna cvpx bhg gur qngrf sebz gur ebg13 gb qrpvqr jurgure lbh'q
> engure fxvc gur ebhaq. Fbeel, ab obahf cbvagf vs lbh pna thrff
> gur gvgyrf *jvgubhg* qrpbqvat gur ebg13.)
>
> 1. Verbal Kint was just making up the story. He was Kayzer Soze
> (pronounced "Kaiser Soh-zay") all along! Which 1995 movie?

The Usual Suspects

> 2. Ah, Rosebud was the name of his childhood sled! Which 1941
> movie?

Citizen Kane

> 3. The business owner himself dressed up as his deceased mother
> when he killed Marion Crane and a private detective called
> Arbogast. Which 1960 movie?

Psycho

> 4. The unnamed narrator is suffering from dissociative identity
> disorder. He and soap salesman Tyler Durden are the same person.
> Which 1999 movie?

Mark, you should be aware that the first rule of Fight Club is that you
do not talk about Fight Club.

> 5. Detective Teddy Daniels goes to a hospital for the criminally
> insane to find a missing woman who drowned her children --
> no, actually Daniels is himself the criminally insane man who
> murdered that woman. Which 2010 movie?

Shutter Island

> 6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
> Which 1980 movie?

The Empire Strikes Back

> 7. Hey, that's the Statue of Liberty. It was Earth all along...
> You maniacs! God damn you all to hell! Which 1968 movie?

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Aaron Stamper is acquitted of murdering an archbishop, but
> his shy, nervous, childlike persona was just an act. Turns
> out there was no Aaron, only Roy. Which 1996 movie?
>
> 9. Dr. Malcolm Crowe is a child psychiatrist working with Cole
> Sear, a child who can see dead people. Unknown to Dr. Crowe,
> Dr. Crowe himself is dead. Which 1999 movie?

The Sixth Sense

> 10. Camp Crystal Lake has been closed for 20 years after a young
> boy called Jason drowned there and two counselors were murdered.
> The camp is reopening -- and people are getting killed.
> Jason didn't actually drown! Which 1980 movie?

Friday the 13th

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 23, 2016, 8:54:04 PM1/23/16
"The Usual Suspects"
> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?
"Citizen Kane"
> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?
"Psycho"
> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?
"Fight Club"
> 5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
> vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
> ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
> zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?
>
> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?
"Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strike Back"
> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?
"Planet of the Apes"
> 8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
> uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
> bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?
"Mystic River?" "Sleepers?"
> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?
"The Sixth Sense"
> 10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
> obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
> Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
> Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?
"Friday the 13th"

Calvin

Jan 24, 2016, 1:53:50 AM1/24/16
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 10:24:56 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders

Pass

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>

> 1. Ireony Xvag jnf whfg znxvat hc gur fgbel. Ur jnf Xnlmre Fbmr
> (cebabhaprq "Xnvfre Fbu-mnl") nyy nybat! Juvpu 1995 zbivr?

The Usual Suspects

> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?

Citizen Kane

> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

Psycho

> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

Fight Club

> 5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
> vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
> ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
> zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?
>
> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

The Empire Strikes Back

> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
> uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
> bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?
>
> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

The Sixth Sense

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 24, 2016, 2:12:21 AM1/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders
>
> 1. Michael Briere pleaded guilty to kidnapping and murdering
> a 10-year-old girl who was walking past his house on
> Bloor St. in 2003. Name the victim; *either* her first
> name or last name will do.
>
> 2. What was the name of the 12-year-old shoeshine boy, the son
> of impoverished Portuguese immigrants, whose sexual assault
> and murder shocked Toronto in August 1977?
>
> 3. Valery Fabrikant was an associate professor of mechanical
> engineering who shot and killed four colleagues in 1992 --
> at which university?

McGill

> 4. Denis Lortie is a former Canadian Forces corporal who killed
> three government employees when he attacked which building
> in 1984?

Parliament
The Usual Suspects

> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?

Citizen Kane

> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

Psycho

> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?
>
> 5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
> vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
> ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
> zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?
>
> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

The Empire Strikes Back

> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
> uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
> bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?
>
> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

The Sixth Sense

> 10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
> obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
> Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
> Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

--
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Jan 25, 2016, 8:56:49 AM1/25/16
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:24:55 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-21, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders

Nope

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>
> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers of
> now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.
>
> (As a courtesy to those who might yet see these movies and would rather
> not hear about them from me, I have rot13'd the entire round.
> You can pick out the dates from the rot13 to decide whether you'd rather
> skip the round. Sorry, no bonus points if you can guess the titles
> *without* decoding the rot13.)
>
> 1. Verbal Kint was just making up the story. He was Kayzer Soze
> (pronounced "Kaiser Soh-zay") all along! Which 1995 movie?
>
> 2. Ah, Rosebud was the name of his childhood sled! Which 1941
> movie?

Citizen Kane

> 3. The business owner himself dressed up as his deceased mother
> when he killed Marion Crane and a private detective called Arbogast.
> Which 1960 movie?

Psycho

> 4. The unnamed narrator is suffering from dissociative identity
> disorder. He and soap salesman Tyler Durden are the same person.
> Which 1999 movie?
>
> 5. Detective Teddy Daniels goes to a hospital for the criminally
> insane to find a missing woman who drowned her children --
> no, actually Daniels is himself the criminally insane man who
> murdered that woman. Which 2010 movie?
>
> 6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
> Which 1980 movie?

The Empire Strikes Back

> 7. Hey, that's the Statue of Liberty. It was Earth all along...
> You maniacs! God damn you all to hell! Which 1968 movie?

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Aaron Stamper is acquitted of murdering an archbishop, but
> his shy, nervous, childlike persona was just an act. Turns out there
> was no Aaron, only Roy. Which 1996 movie?
>
> 9. Dr. Malcolm Crowe is a child psychiatrist working with Cole
> Sear, a child who can see dead people. Unknown to Dr. Crowe, Dr.
> Crowe himself is dead. Which 1999 movie?

Pete

Jan 25, 2016, 6:35:14 PM1/25/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:lvidnUW2we_KVT_LnZ2dnUU7-
dWd...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>
> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
> of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.
>
> (As a courtesy to those who might yet see these movies and would
> rather not hear about them from me, I have rot13'd the entire round.
> You can pick out the dates from the rot13 to decide whether you'd
> rather skip the round. Sorry, no bonus points if you can guess
> the titles *without* decoding the rot13.)
>
> 1. Ireony Xvag jnf whfg znxvat hc gur fgbel. Ur jnf Xnlmre Fbmr
> (cebabhaprq "Xnvfre Fbu-mnl") nyy nybat! Juvpu 1995 zbivr?
>
> 2. Nu, Ebfrohq jnf gur anzr bs uvf puvyqubbq fyrq! Juvpu 1941
> zbivr?

Citizen Kane

> 3. Gur ohfvarff bjare uvzfrys qerffrq hc nf uvf qrprnfrq zbgure
> jura ur xvyyrq Znevba Penar naq n cevingr qrgrpgvir pnyyrq
> Neobtnfg. Juvpu 1960 zbivr?

Psycho

> 4. Gur haanzrq aneengbe vf fhssrevat sebz qvffbpvngvir vqragvgl
> qvfbeqre. Ur naq fbnc fnyrfzna Glyre Qheqra ner gur fnzr crefba.
> Juvpu 1999 zbivr?
>
> 5. Qrgrpgvir Grqql Qnavryf tbrf gb n ubfcvgny sbe gur pevzvanyyl
> vafnar gb svaq n zvffvat jbzna jub qebjarq ure puvyqera --
> ab, npghnyyl Qnavryf vf uvzfrys gur pevzvanyyl vafnar zna jub
> zheqrerq gung jbzna. Juvpu 2010 zbivr?
>
> 6. Qnegu Inqre vf Yhxr Fxljnyxre'f sngure? Trg bhg bs urer!
> Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

The Empire Strikes Back

> 7. Url, gung'f gur Fgnghr bs Yvoregl. Vg jnf Rnegu nyy nybat...
> Lbh znavnpf! Tbq qnza lbh nyy gb uryy! Juvpu 1968 zbivr?

Planet of the Apes

> 8. Nneba Fgnzcre vf npdhvggrq bs zheqrevat na nepuovfubc, ohg
> uvf ful, areibhf, puvyqyvxr crefban jnf whfg na npg. Gheaf
> bhg gurer jnf ab Nneba, bayl Ebl. Juvpu 1996 zbivr?
>
> 9. Qe. Znypbyz Pebjr vf n puvyq cflpuvngevfg jbexvat jvgu Pbyr
> Frne, n puvyq jub pna frr qrnq crbcyr. Haxabja gb Qe. Pebjr,
> Qe. Pebjr uvzfrys vf qrnq. Juvpu 1999 zbivr?

Sixth Sense

> 10. Pnzc Pelfgny Ynxr unf orra pybfrq sbe 20 lrnef nsgre n lbhat
> obl pnyyrq Wnfba qebjarq gurer naq gjb pbhafrybef jrer zheqrerq.
> Gur pnzc vf erbcravat -- naq crbcyr ner trggvat xvyyrq.
> Wnfba qvqa'g npghnyyl qebja! Juvpu 1980 zbivr?

Nightmare on Elm Street

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 26, 2016, 2:21:40 AM1/26/16
In article <lvidnUW2we_KVT_L...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!
>
> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
> of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.

1. Verbal Kint was just making up the story. He was Kayzer Soze
(pronounced "Kaiser Soh-zay") all along! Which 1995 movie?
The Usual Suspects

2. Ah, Rosebud was the name of his childhood sled! Which 1941
movie?
Citizen Kane

3. The business owner himself dressed up as his deceased mother
when he killed Marion Crane and a private detective called
Arbogast. Which 1960 movie?
Psycho

4. The unnamed narrator is suffering from dissociative identity
disorder. He and soap salesman Tyler Durden are the same person.
Which 1999 movie?
Fight Club

5. Detective Teddy Daniels goes to a hospital for the criminally
insane to find a missing woman who drowned her children --
no, actually Daniels is himself the criminally insane man who
murdered that woman. Which 2010 movie?
Shelter Island

6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
Which 1980 movie?
The Empire Strikes Back

7. Hey, that's the Statue of Liberty. It was Earth all along...
You maniacs! God damn you all to hell! Which 1968 movie?
The Planet Of The Apes

8. Aaron Stamper is acquitted of murdering an archbishop, but
his shy, nervous, childlike persona was just an act. Turns
out there was no Aaron, only Roy. Which 1996 movie?

9. Dr. Malcolm Crowe is a child psychiatrist working with Cole
Sear, a child who can see dead people. Unknown to Dr. Crowe,
Dr. Crowe himself is dead. Which 1999 movie?
The Sixth Sense

10. Camp Crystal Lake has been closed for 20 years after a young
boy called Jason drowned there and two counselors were murdered.
The camp is reopening -- and people are getting killed.
Jason didn't actually drown! Which 1980 movie?
Friday The 13th

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2016, 4:16:48 AM1/26/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-21,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Canadian Murders

> 1. Michael Briere pleaded guilty to kidnapping and murdering
> a 10-year-old girl who was walking past his house on
> Bloor St. in 2003. Name the victim; *either* her first
> name or last name will do.

Holly Jones.

> 2. What was the name of the 12-year-old shoeshine boy, the son
> of impoverished Portuguese immigrants, whose sexual assault
> and murder shocked Toronto in August 1977?

Emanuel Jaques.

> 3. Valery Fabrikant was an associate professor of mechanical
> engineering who shot and killed four colleagues in 1992 --
> at which university?

Concordia University, Montreal.

> 4. Denis Lortie is a former Canadian Forces corporal who killed
> three government employees when he attacked which building
> in 1984?

National Assembly (i.e. provincial legislature) of Quebec.

> 5. Marc Lepine murdered 14 women and wounded 18 other people when
> he attacked which school in 1989?

École Polytechnique, associated with the University of Montreal.
I'm accepting either name or a combination in either language.
4 for Joshua -- making the round count for everyone.

> 6. Grace Marks was a Canadian maid who was controversially convicted
> of murdering her employer in 1843. In 1996, Margaret Atwood
> published a novel based on the case. What was the title?

"Alias Grace".

> 7. What is the name of the former colonel in the Canadian Forces
> who was arrested on murder charges while in command of the
> country's largest and busiest military air base, CFB Trenton?

David Russell Williams.

> 8. A Hungarian-born Canadian former real estate developer who
> was convicted in 1974 of arranging the murder of his wife.
> It resulted in the longest trial in Canadian history.
> What is his name?

Peter Demeter.

> 9. Born Eric Clinton Kirk Newman, what is the better-known name
> of the former pornographic actor and model who killed and
> dismembered Lin Jun in 2012, then mailed limbs to elementary
> schools and federal political party offices?

Luka Rocco Magnotta.

> 10. A now-demolished house at 57 Bayview St., Port Dalhousie, was
> the scene of gruesome murders by Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka.
> Port Dalhousie is part of which Canadian city?

St. Catharines.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Entertainment - Spoiler Alert!

> Movies sometimes end with a plot twist. Here are ten spoilers
> of now-well-known twists for you -- you name the movies. Note:
> if a movie is part of a series, the series title is NOT sufficient.

> (As a courtesy to those who might yet see these movies and would
> rather not hear about them from me, I have rot13'd the entire round.
> You can pick out the dates from the rot13 to decide whether you'd
> rather skip the round. Sorry, no bonus points if you can guess
> the titles *without* decoding the rot13.)

By way of further protection, the questions and answers will appear
-- this time in plain text, *not* rot13'd -- below the table of
scores and 50 lines of space.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Sci Geo Spo Can Ent FOUR
Gareth Owen 36 24 40 32 0 35 143
Joshua Kreitzer 36 28 40 22 4 35 139
Marc Dashevsky 32 32 36 8 0 35 135
Dan Blum 32 32 36 11 0 35 135
Peter Smyth 16 24 32 40 0 12 112
Dan Tilque 24 23 40 8 0 23 110
Bruce Bowler 0 36 40 0 0 23 99
Pete Gayde 19 12 32 28 0 19 98
"Calvin" 24 8 0 37 0 27 96
Jason Kreitzer 28 8 24 0 0 32 92
Erland Sommarskog 8 16 32 24 0 4 80
Björn Lundin 16 15 24 8 0 20 75

49
48
47
46
45
44
43
42
41
40
39
38
37
36
35
34
33
32
31
30
29
28
27
26
25
24
23
22
21
20
19
18
17
16
15
14
13
12
11
10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2

> 1. Verbal Kint was just making up the story. He was Kayzer Soze
> (pronounced "Kaiser Soh-zay") all along! Which 1995 movie?

"The Usual Suspects". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, Jason, Calvin, and Marc.

> 2. Ah, Rosebud was the name of his childhood sled! Which 1941
> movie?

"Citizen Kane". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, Jason, Calvin, Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 3. The business owner himself dressed up as his deceased mother
> when he killed Marion Crane and a private detective called
> Arbogast. Which 1960 movie?

"Psycho". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Björn, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Jason,
Calvin, Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 4. The unnamed narrator is suffering from dissociative identity
> disorder. He and soap salesman Tyler Durden are the same person.
> Which 1999 movie?

"Fight Club". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth, Jason, Calvin,
and Marc.

> 5. Detective Teddy Daniels goes to a hospital for the criminally
> insane to find a missing woman who drowned her children --
> no, actually Daniels is himself the criminally insane man who
> murdered that woman. Which 2010 movie?

"Shutter Island". 4 for Dan Blum, Gareth, and Marc.

> 6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
> Which 1980 movie?

"Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back". 4 for Björn
and Jason. 3 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Calvin,
Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 7. Hey, that's the Statue of Liberty. It was Earth all along...
> You maniacs! God damn you all to hell! Which 1968 movie?

"Planet of the Apes". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Björn, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, Jason, Calvin, Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 8. Aaron Stamper is acquitted of murdering an archbishop, but
> his shy, nervous, childlike persona was just an act. Turns
> out there was no Aaron, only Roy. Which 1996 movie?

"Primal Fear". 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Dr. Malcolm Crowe is a child psychiatrist working with Cole
> Sear, a child who can see dead people. Unknown to Dr. Crowe,
> Dr. Crowe himself is dead. Which 1999 movie?

"The Sixth Sense". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Björn, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, Jason, Calvin, Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

> 10. Camp Crystal Lake has been closed for 20 years after a young
> boy called Jason drowned there and two counselors were murdered.
> The camp is reopening -- and people are getting killed.
> Jason didn't actually drown! Which 1980 movie?

"Friday the 13th". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Björn, Gareth, Jason,
Bruce, and Marc.

--
Mark Brader "Three minutes' thought would suffice to
Toronto find this out; but thought is irksome and

Gareth Owen

Jan 26, 2016, 12:11:26 PM1/26/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
>> Which 1980 movie?
>
> "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back". 4 for Björn
> and Jason. 3 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Calvin,
> Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

That movie was called "The Empire Strikes Back".
The first movie was called "Star Wars".

All other titles are retcons.

http://images.moviepostershop.com/star-wars-movie-poster-1977-1020263832.jpg

http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-empire-strikes-back-movie-poster-1980-1020189518.jpg

"Episode V" my ass.

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 26, 2016, 4:13:58 PM1/26/16
In article <8737tkq...@gmail.com>, gwo...@gmail.com says...
Well said!

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2016, 4:15:58 PM1/26/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 6. Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Get out of here!
>>> Which 1980 movie?

>> "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back". 4 for Björn
>> and Jason. 3 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Calvin,
>> Bruce, Pete, and Marc.

Gareth Owen:
> That movie was called "The Empire Strikes Back".

Wrong. It was called "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back".

> The first movie was called "Star Wars".

Correct, which is why that answer scored 0.
Posters my ass. The real title is the one shown onscreen, which *did*
have "Episode V". It came out about a year after the retcon-in-rerelease
that added "Episode IV: A New Hope" to the title of the first movie.

Anyway, your poster shows the title as "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes
Back", or possibly vice versa, but not as what you said. And I did
accept that answer for full points.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
m...@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards

Gareth Owen

Jan 27, 2016, 2:33:10 AM1/27/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Mark Brader:
>
>>> "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back". 4 for Björn
>>> and Jason. 3 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Calvin,
>>> Bruce, Pete, and Marc.
>
> Gareth Owen:
>> That movie was called "The Empire Strikes Back".
>
> Wrong. It was called "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back".
>
>> The first movie was called "Star Wars".
>
> Correct, which is why that answer scored 0.
>
>> All other titles are retcons.
>>
>> http://images.moviepostershop.com/star-wars-movie-poster-1977-1020263832.jpg
>>
>> http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-empire-strikes-back-movie-poster-1980-1020189518.jpg
>>
>> "Episode V" my ass.
>
> Posters my ass. The real title is the one shown onscreen, which *did*
> have "Episode V".

Well that makes no sense - the opening crawl doesn't say "Star Wars"....
And if the title is what's shown onscreen, surely it should be called
"A long time ago in a galaxy far far away".

Anyway, its your quiz and you can be as idiotic as you like, but that's
*especially* idiotic.

> It came out about a year after the retcon-in-rerelease that added
> "Episode IV: A New Hope" to the title of the first movie.

No. It came out about a year *before* the "New Hope" was added (which
was for the VHS release in 1981)

Mark Brader

Jan 27, 2016, 1:33:16 PM1/27/16
Mark Brader:
>> The real title is the one shown onscreen, which *did*
>> have "Episode V".

Gareth Owen:
> Well that makes no sense - the opening crawl doesn't say "Star Wars"....

"Star Wars" appears before the crawl, followed by the rest of the title,
which does include "Episode V":

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,924123,00.html
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-in-the-star-wars-saga-empire-strikes-forward-20151202-story.html
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/yoda-space-hefner-and-amorous-sweats-read-the-original-empire-strikes-back-review/

> And if the title is what's shown onscreen, surely it should be called
> "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away".

It's not necessarily the *first* thing that's shown onscreen, y'know.
If it was, there would be a lot of movies with titles like "A Martin
Scorsese film".

> Anyway, its your quiz and you can be as idiotic as you like, but that's
> *especially* idiotic.

Thankew.

> > It came out about a year after the retcon-in-rerelease that added
> > "Episode IV: A New Hope" to the title of the first movie.
>
> No. It came out about a year *before* the "New Hope" was added (which
> was for the VHS release in 1981)

On this peripheral point it turns out we were both wrong. Multiple sources
confirm that it was added for a cinema release, but it was indeed in 1981.
--
Mark Brader | But I think we can do better next time. (Where the
Toronto | word "we" refers to [those] who do the hard work while