QFTCIUA19 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: sports, French challenge

Mark Brader

Aug 23, 2019, 12:24:12 AM8/23/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany

1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport.
It was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.

2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how
much so. Name this baseball great.

3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living
(and alcoholic) soccer great.

4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
are you playing?

6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
you playing?

7. He skipped (i.e. captained) the 2017 and 2018 Canadian men's
curling champion rinks (i.e. teams), the 2017 world champions,
and the 2006 Olympic gold medalists. The pride of Mt. Pearl,
Newfoundland, who is he?

8. She skipped the women's world champion rink in 2008 and again
in 2018, and the Olympic gold medalists in 2014. She plays
out of St. Vital, Manitoba; who is she?

9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby.
Its competitors are a different species, though, and the winner
is named "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back
to 1711 and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress.
Name it.

After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur
dhrfgvba nobhg Qnevb Senapuvggv, vs lbh fnvq fbzr irefvba bs "HX"
be "Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp: lbh'er orvat
nfxrq jung pbhagel *jvguva* gur HX. Naq ba gur ynfg dhrfgvba,
vs lbh whfg fnvq "Nfpbg", cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.

** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

Here's a round with a distinctly Gallic theme to mark France's
national day, July 14.

* A. History: The French Revolution

A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
Republic throughout Europe?

* B. Sports: French Victories

B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman
to win the French Open singles title. Name him.

* C. Literature: French Philosophers

C1. A social theorist who explored the relationship between
power and knowledge, his books included "The Order of Things"
and "The History of Sexuality". He died in 1984 at age 58,
the first French public figure to succumb to AIDS.

C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains
a standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

* D. Entertainment: The French New Wave

D1. It was a cinema movement that emerged in France in the
1950s and rejected traditional film conventions and
approaches. The "New Wave" is what English-speaking
cineastes called it, but what was this movement called
in French?

D2. One of the longest-lived of the French New Wavers, this
Belgian-born director more precisely belonged to the Left
Bank school of filmmaking. Her only Oscar nomination
was for the 2017 travelogue documentary "Faces Places".
She died in March in Paris at the age of 90. Name her.

* E. Science: French Scientists

E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
probability theory strongly influenced the development of
modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
states were also influential. Name him.

E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
question you are answering.

* F. Canadiana: French Explorers

Name them.

F1. A fur-trader and explorer born in 1636, he took partial
Iroquois citizenship after being captured as a teenager
near Trois-Rivières. Many of his later explorations were
with his brother-in-law Medart Chouart des Groseilliers.

F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608
he founded Quebec City.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Or does marital status propagate faster than light?"
m...@vex.net | --Jack Campin

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 23, 2019, 1:26:35 AM8/23/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
> Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport.
> It was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.

Yastrzemski

> 2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
> in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how
> much so. Name this baseball great.

Ty Cobb

> 3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
> boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
> in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living
> (and alcoholic) soccer great.

George Best

> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

Scotland

> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

chess

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

bridge

> 9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
> in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby.
> Its competitors are a different species, though, and the winner
> is named "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

Westminster Kennel Club

> 10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
> races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back
> to 1711 and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress.
> Name it.

Epsom Derby

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur
> dhrfgvba nobhg Qnevb Senapuvggv, vs lbh fnvq fbzr irefvba bs "HX"
> be "Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp: lbh'er orvat
> nfxrq jung pbhagel *jvguva* gur HX. Naq ba gur ynfg dhrfgvba,
> vs lbh whfg fnvq "Nfpbg", cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.

Nzraqrq zl nafjre nppbeqvatyl.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Here's a round with a distinctly Gallic theme to mark France's
> national day, July 14.
>
> * A. History: The French Revolution
>
> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

storming of the Bastille

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?

execution of King Louis XVI

> * B. Sports: French Victories
>
> B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
> the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

France's victory in the FIFA World Cup

> B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
> the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman
> to win the French Open singles title. Name him.

Noah

> * C. Literature: French Philosophers
>
> C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
> philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains
> a standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
> he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

Descartes

> * D. Entertainment: The French New Wave
>
> D1. It was a cinema movement that emerged in France in the
> 1950s and rejected traditional film conventions and
> approaches. The "New Wave" is what English-speaking
> cineastes called it, but what was this movement called
> in French?

Nouvelle Vague

> D2. One of the longest-lived of the French New Wavers, this
> Belgian-born director more precisely belonged to the Left
> Bank school of filmmaking. Her only Oscar nomination
> was for the 2017 travelogue documentary "Faces Places".
> She died in March in Paris at the age of 90. Name her.

Varda

> * E. Science: French Scientists
>
> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
> probability theory strongly influenced the development of
> modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
> states were also influential. Name him.

Pascal

> E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify
> how Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify
> which question you are answering.

Marie was Irene's mother

> * F. Canadiana: French Explorers
>
> Name them.
>
> F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
> two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608
> he founded Quebec City.

Cartier

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Aug 23, 2019, 3:54:38 AM8/23/19
On 8/22/19 9:24 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
> Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport.
> It was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.
>
> 2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
> in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how
> much so. Name this baseball great.
>
> 3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
> boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
> in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living
> (and alcoholic) soccer great.
>
> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.
>
> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

chess

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

bridge

> 7. He skipped (i.e. captained) the 2017 and 2018 Canadian men's
> curling champion rinks (i.e. teams), the 2017 world champions,
> and the 2006 Olympic gold medalists. The pride of Mt. Pearl,
> Newfoundland, who is he?
>
> 8. She skipped the women's world champion rink in 2008 and again
> in 2018, and the Olympic gold medalists in 2014. She plays
> out of St. Vital, Manitoba; who is she?
>
> 9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
> in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby.
> Its competitors are a different species, though, and the winner
> is named "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

American Kennel Club

> 10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
> races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back
> to 1711 and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress.
> Name it.

Royal Ascot

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur
> dhrfgvba nobhg Qnevb Senapuvggv, vs lbh fnvq fbzr irefvba bs "HX"
> be "Oevgnva", cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp: lbh'er orvat
> nfxrq jung pbhagel *jvguva* gur HX. Naq ba gur ynfg dhrfgvba,
> vs lbh whfg fnvq "Nfpbg", cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Here's a round with a distinctly Gallic theme to mark France's
> national day, July 14.
>
> * A. History: The French Revolution
>
> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

storming of the Bastille

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?

execution of the French King

> * B. Sports: French Victories
>
> B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
> the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

France winning the World Cup

> B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
> the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman
> to win the French Open singles title. Name him.
>

> * C. Literature: French Philosophers
>
> C1. A social theorist who explored the relationship between
> power and knowledge, his books included "The Order of Things"
> and "The History of Sexuality". He died in 1984 at age 58,
> the first French public figure to succumb to AIDS.

Camus

> C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
> philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains
> a standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
> he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

Rene Descartes

> * D. Entertainment: The French New Wave
>
> D1. It was a cinema movement that emerged in France in the
> 1950s and rejected traditional film conventions and
> approaches. The "New Wave" is what English-speaking
> cineastes called it, but what was this movement called
> in French?
>
> D2. One of the longest-lived of the French New Wavers, this
> Belgian-born director more precisely belonged to the Left
> Bank school of filmmaking. Her only Oscar nomination
> was for the 2017 travelogue documentary "Faces Places".
> She died in March in Paris at the age of 90. Name her.
>

> * E. Science: French Scientists
>
> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
> probability theory strongly influenced the development of
> modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
> states were also influential. Name him.
>
> E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
> Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
> question you are answering.

Marie was Irene's mother

> * F. Canadiana: French Explorers
>
> Name them.
>
> F1. A fur-trader and explorer born in 1636, he took partial
> Iroquois citizenship after being captured as a teenager
> near Trois-Rivières. Many of his later explorations were
> with his brother-in-law Medart Chouart des Groseilliers.

Joliet ??

> F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
> two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608
> he founded Quebec City.

Champlain

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Aug 23, 2019, 9:47:22 AM8/23/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany

> 1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
> Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport.
> It was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.

Ted Williams

> 2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
> in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how
> much so. Name this baseball great.

Ty Cobb

> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

Germany; England

> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

Chess

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

Bridge

> 9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
> in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby.
> Its competitors are a different species, though, and the winner
> is named "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

American Kennel Club

> 10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
> races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back
> to 1711 and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress.
> Name it.

Royal Ascot

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. History: The French Revolution

> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-Ren?
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

storming of the Bastille

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?

execution of Louis XVI

> * C. Literature: French Philosophers

> C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
> philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains
> a standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
> he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

Descartes

> * E. Science: French Scientists

> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
> probability theory strongly influenced the development of
> modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
> states were also influential. Name him.

Pascal

> E2. Ir?ne Joliot-Curie and Fr?d?ric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
> Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
> question you are answering.

Irene was Marie's daughrer

> * F. Canadiana: French Explorers

> F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
> two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608
> he founded Quebec City.

Champlain

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Aug 23, 2019, 1:38:54 PM8/23/19
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 23:24:06 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-08, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
> Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport. It
> was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.

Ted Williams

> 2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
> in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how much so.
> Name this baseball great.

Ty Cobb

> 3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
> boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
> in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living (and
> alcoholic) soccer great.
>
> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

Scotland

> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

Chess

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

Bridge

> 7. He skipped (i.e. captained) the 2017 and 2018 Canadian men's
> curling champion rinks (i.e. teams), the 2017 world champions, and
> the 2006 Olympic gold medalists. The pride of Mt. Pearl,
> Newfoundland, who is he?
>
> 8. She skipped the women's world champion rink in 2008 and again
> in 2018, and the Olympic gold medalists in 2014. She plays out of
> St. Vital, Manitoba; who is she?
>
> 9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
> in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby. Its
> competitors are a different species, though, and the winner is named
> "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

Westminster Kennel Club

> 10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
> races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back to 1711
> and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress. Name it.

The Epsom Derby

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur dhrfgvba
> nobhg Qnevb Senapuvggv, vs lbh fnvq fbzr irefvba bs "HX" be "Oevgnva",
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp: lbh'er orvat nfxrq jung pbhagel
> *jvguva* gur HX. Naq ba gur ynfg dhrfgvba,
> vs lbh whfg fnvq "Nfpbg", cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur anzr.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Here's a round with a distinctly Gallic theme to mark France's national
> day, July 14.
>
> * A. History: The French Revolution
>
> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

Storming the Bastille

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?
>

> * B. Sports: French Victories
>
> B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
> the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

Final stage of the 2018 tour de france

> B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
> the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman to
> win the French Open singles title. Name him.
>

> * C. Literature: French Philosophers
>
> C1. A social theorist who explored the relationship between
> power and knowledge, his books included "The Order of Things" and
> "The History of Sexuality". He died in 1984 at age 58,
> the first French public figure to succumb to AIDS.
>
> C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
> philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains a
> standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
> he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

Rene Descartes

> * D. Entertainment: The French New Wave
>
> D1. It was a cinema movement that emerged in France in the
> 1950s and rejected traditional film conventions and approaches.
> The "New Wave" is what English-speaking cineastes called it, but
> what was this movement called in French?

cinema nouveau

> D2. One of the longest-lived of the French New Wavers, this
> Belgian-born director more precisely belonged to the Left Bank
> school of filmmaking. Her only Oscar nomination was for the 2017
> travelogue documentary "Faces Places".
> She died in March in Paris at the age of 90. Name her.
>

> * E. Science: French Scientists
>
> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on probability
> theory strongly influenced the development of modern economics,
> and his theories on pressure and vacuum states were also
> influential. Name him.

Pascal

> E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
> Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
> question you are answering.

Irene was Marie's daughter, and Fred was her son-in-law

> * F. Canadiana: French Explorers
>
> Name them.
>
> F1. A fur-trader and explorer born in 1636, he took partial
> Iroquois citizenship after being captured as a teenager near
> Trois-Rivières. Many of his later explorations were with his
> brother-in-law Medart Chouart des Groseilliers.
>
> F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
> two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608 he
> founded Quebec City.

Samuel de Champlain

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 23, 2019, 3:20:49 PM8/23/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
> boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
> in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living
> (and alcoholic) soccer great.

George Best

> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

Argentina (Completely ignoring the hint. :-)

> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

Chess

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

bridge

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>

> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

Storming of the Bastille

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?

Guillionting of Louis XVI

> * B. Sports: French Victories
>
> B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
> the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

Gold in FIFA World Cup

> B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
> the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman
> to win the French Open singles title. Name him.

Henri Laconte

> * E. Science: French Scientists
>
> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
> probability theory strongly influenced the development of
> modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
> states were also influential. Name him.

Blaise Pascal

> E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
> Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
> question you are answering.

Marie was the mother of Irène

Calvin

Aug 25, 2019, 9:41:03 PM8/25/19
On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 2:24:12 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
> Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport.
> It was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.

Ruth?

> 2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
> in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how
> much so. Name this baseball great.

Cobb

> 3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
> boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
> in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living
> (and alcoholic) soccer great.

Best

> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

US, Canada

> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

Chess

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

Bridge

> 7. He skipped (i.e. captained) the 2017 and 2018 Canadian men's
> curling champion rinks (i.e. teams), the 2017 world champions,
> and the 2006 Olympic gold medalists. The pride of Mt. Pearl,
> Newfoundland, who is he?
>
> 8. She skipped the women's world champion rink in 2008 and again
> in 2018, and the Olympic gold medalists in 2014. She plays
> out of St. Vital, Manitoba; who is she?
>
> 9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
> in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby.
> Its competitors are a different species, though, and the winner
> is named "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

A NY dog show iirc, but who cares who sponsors it?

> 10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
> races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back
> to 1711 and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress.
> Name it.

Ascot Handicap, Ascot Cup

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> Here's a round with a distinctly Gallic theme to mark France's
> national day, July 14.
>
> * A. History: The French Revolution
>
> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

Storming of the Bastille

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?

Beheading of Louis XVI

> * B. Sports: French Victories
>
> B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
> the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

FIFA world cup win

> B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
> the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman
> to win the French Open singles title. Name him.

Noah

> * C. Literature: French Philosophers
>
> C1. A social theorist who explored the relationship between
> power and knowledge, his books included "The Order of Things"
> and "The History of Sexuality". He died in 1984 at age 58,
> the first French public figure to succumb to AIDS.

Foucault

> C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
> philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains
> a standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
> he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

Descartes

> * D. Entertainment: The French New Wave
>
> D1. It was a cinema movement that emerged in France in the
> 1950s and rejected traditional film conventions and
> approaches. The "New Wave" is what English-speaking
> cineastes called it, but what was this movement called
> in French?
>
> D2. One of the longest-lived of the French New Wavers, this
> Belgian-born director more precisely belonged to the Left
> Bank school of filmmaking. Her only Oscar nomination
> was for the 2017 travelogue documentary "Faces Places".
> She died in March in Paris at the age of 90. Name her.
>

> * E. Science: French Scientists
>
> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
> probability theory strongly influenced the development of
> modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
> states were also influential. Name him.

Pascal

> E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
> Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
> question you are answering.

Marie was Irene's mother in law, stepmother (2 answers)

> * F. Canadiana: French Explorers
>
> Name them.
>
> F1. A fur-trader and explorer born in 1636, he took partial
> Iroquois citizenship after being captured as a teenager
> near Trois-Rivières. Many of his later explorations were
> with his brother-in-law Medart Chouart des Groseilliers.
>
> F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
> two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608
> he founded Quebec City.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2019, 12:13:09 AM8/26/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 7 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany

> 1. One of the earliest completed features of Boston's huge "Big
> Dig" construction project was a new harbor tunnel to the airport.
> It was named after a legendary Red Sox hitter: name him.

Ted Williams. 4 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

> 2. The "Georgia Peach" was definitely no peach of a human being;
> in fact he was a violent racist, although it's disputed how
> much so. Name this baseball great.

Ty Cobb. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Calvin.

> 3. Belfast, Northern Ireland, named an airport after a local
> boy who rose to greatness in English professional "football"
> in the 1960's and 1970's. Name this notoriously high-living
> (and alcoholic) soccer great.

George Best. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Calvin.

> 4. Indy-Car Series champion driver Dario Franchitti was born in
> what country? Hint: It's not obvious from his name.

Scotland. 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

> 5. If you use the Sicilian defense or the Ruy Lopez, what game
> are you playing?

Chess. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce,
Erland, and Calvin.

> 6. If you use the Stayman or Blackwood convention, what game are
> you playing?

Bridge. 4 for everyone.

> 7. He skipped (i.e. captained) the 2017 and 2018 Canadian men's
> curling champion rinks (i.e. teams), the 2017 world champions,
> and the 2006 Olympic gold medalists. The pride of Mt. Pearl,
> Newfoundland, who is he?

Brad Gushue.

> 8. She skipped the women's world champion rink in 2008 and again
> in 2018, and the Olympic gold medalists in 2014. She plays
> out of St. Vital, Manitoba; who is she?

Jennifer Jones.

> 9. This event is the second-longest continuously held sporting event
> in the United States, since 1877, behind only the Kentucky Derby.
> Its competitors are a different species, though, and the winner
> is named "Best in Show". Name the *sponsoring organization*.

Westminster Kennel Club (dog show). 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

> 10. This English horse racing event, currently a 5-day series of
> races, is even older than the Kentucky Derby. It dates back
> to 1711 and is famed for its royal spectators and fancy dress.
> Name it.

The Royal Ascot. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> Here's a round with a distinctly Gallic theme to mark France's
> national day, July 14.

In the original game the audio round, which you won't be seeing,
was the hardest; the current-events round, which you already saw
on 2019-07-16, was second-hardest; and this round was third.

> * A. History: The French Revolution

> A1. *What event* occurred on 1789-07-14, ending with Bernard-René
> de Launay's head being paraded through Paris on a stick?

The storming of the Bastille. 4 for everyone.

In the original game the name Bastille Day was mentioned in the
preamble to the round. Oops!

> A2. *What event* on 1793-01-17 evoked condemnation against the
> Republic throughout Europe?

The former King Louis XVI was executed. I did not require "former"
but scored "execution of the king" as almost correct. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Erland, and Calvin. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> * B. Sports: French Victories

> B1. What sports victory auspiciously occurred one day after
> the national holiday, on 2018-07-15?

France won the World Cup, defeating Croatia 4-2. I accepted
"gold in FIFA World Cup" since the trophy is in fact made of gold.
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Calvin.

> B2. In 1983, this tennis star became the first Frenchman to win
> the French Open in 37 years. He remains the last Frenchman
> to win the French Open singles title. Name him.

Yannick Noah. 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> * C. Literature: French Philosophers

> C1. A social theorist who explored the relationship between
> power and knowledge, his books included "The Order of Things"
> and "The History of Sexuality". He died in 1984 at age 58,
> the first French public figure to succumb to AIDS.

Michel Foucault. 4 for Calvin.

> C2. Born in 1598, he is considered one of the founders of modern
> philosophy, whose "Meditations on First Philosophy" remains
> a standard text. Also a founder of analytical geometry,
> he has a coordinate system named after him. Who is he?

René Descartes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce,
and Calvin.

> * D. Entertainment: The French New Wave

> D1. It was a cinema movement that emerged in France in the
> 1950s and rejected traditional film conventions and
> approaches. The "New Wave" is what English-speaking
> cineastes called it, but what was this movement called
> in French?

The French equivalent of that -- la Nouvelle Vague. 4 for Joshua.

> D2. One of the longest-lived of the French New Wavers, this
> Belgian-born director more precisely belonged to the Left
> Bank school of filmmaking. Her only Oscar nomination
> was for the 2017 travelogue documentary "Faces Places".
> She died in March in Paris at the age of 90. Name her.

Agnes Varda. 4 for Joshua.

> * E. Science: French Scientists

> E1. Born in 1623, this scientist is credited as one of two
> inventors of the mechanical calculator. His work on
> probability theory strongly influenced the development of
> modern economics, and his theories on pressure and vacuum
> states were also influential. Name him.

Blaise Pascal. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, and Calvin.

> E2. Irène Joliot-Curie and Frédéric Joliot were co-winners of
> the 1935 Nobel Prize in chemistry for work in the creation of
> short-lived radioactive isotopes. For *either one*, specify how
> Marie Curie was related to the person, but you must specify which
> question you are answering.

Marie was Irène's mother and Frédéric's mother-in-law. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce (the hard way), and Erland.

> * F. Canadiana: French Explorers

> Name them.

> F1. A fur-trader and explorer born in 1636, he took partial
> Iroquois citizenship after being captured as a teenager
> near Trois-Rivières. Many of his later explorations were
> with his brother-in-law Medart Chouart des Groseilliers.

Pierre-Esprit Radisson.

> F2. Born in 1567, this explorer and cartographer made more than
> two dozen trips across the Atlantic Ocean, and in July 1608
> he founded Quebec City.

Samuel de Champlain. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Art His Ent Can Can Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 23 16 28 36 17 8 24 36 164
Bruce Bowler 32 16 23 36 12 4 24 20 151
Dan Blum 24 32 24 27 12 11 20 24 151
Pete Gayde 19 18 26 32 14 32 -- -- 141
"Calvin" 26 19 18 16 6 6 16 28 123
Dan Tilque 24 12 20 4 24 4 12 23 115
Erland Sommarskog 15 8 4 0 4 0 12 20 63

--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."