QFTCIRS Game 5, Rounds 7-8: fatal discoveries and fictional games

Mark Brader

Dec 11, 2019, 7:19:01 PM12/11/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries

1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which
were harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any
one* of the elements he is credited for discovering.

2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field
of her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her
life's work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent
cancer in 1905. Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to
her career, or the field of study.

3. A Russian physician, philosopher, economist, and a
science-fiction writer, Alexander Bogdanov was a pioneer
in hematology. He claimed that the procedures he pioneered
perfected his balding and improved his eyesight. He died in
1928 after working with blood from a young man who was infected
with malaria and tuberculosis. Name the procedure that this
scientist pioneered.

4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
In what field was the other?

5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical
plutonium core onto another, causing a critical accident.
Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said
to have witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died
9 days later. Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was
given what hellish nickname?

7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
project.

8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium
that caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite
the fact that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab
workers. Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary
disease that overloaded his system with iron, and likely played
a role in his death. Name that hereditary disease.

9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

* Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games

This round deals with fictional board games that have been created
as plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the
movie or TV show.

1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
the series.

2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need
to explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.

3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

4. Marsh-Gammon: The game is a pretty shoddy ruse for Marshall to
get to know Victoria better, but the rules involve personal
trivia, drinking, and an all-important buzzer. It uses a Candy
Land board, poker chips, cards, and a sorting hat.

5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on
a circular board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was
usually installed in common areas of cargo ships, most notably
a particular Corellian light freighter.

6. Cones of Dunshire: "A gaming experience for 2-12 players,
the goal is to accumulate cones: four cones wins, but in order
to get a cone you have to build a civilization... which is where
the Spirit Cards come in. Each player takes on the identity
of one of two wizards, a maverick, the Arbiter, two warriors,
a corporal, or a ledgerman (who doesn't play but keeps score
while wearing a hat that says 'Ledgerman'). Then there's the
Challenge Play... the thing about the Challenge Play is that
it's basically the game... in reverse."

7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist
and the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his
romantic relationship with an operating system.

8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being
rezzed in by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers
the driver - who is forced into a riding position - with a
protective canopy. Each Light Cycle is colored according to
the color of the rod that generated it.

9. Bamboozle!: "You spin the Wheel of Mayhem to go up the Ladder
of Chance, you go past the Mud Hut through the Rainbow Ring to
get to the Golden Monkey, you pull his tail and boom, you're
in Paradise Pond."

10. Chardee Mac-Dennis: "The game consists of three levels: mind,
body, and spirit. Level 1 includes trivia and drawing, level 2
includes excruciating physical challenges (darts in the hand),
and level 3 is about emotional abuse. Each round requires a
different kind of alcohol, too."

--
Mark Brader | "People tend to assume that things they don't know
Toronto | about are either safe or dangerous or useless,

Dan Blum

Dec 11, 2019, 8:45:35 PM12/11/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries

> 1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
> He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which
> were harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
> discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any
> one* of the elements he is credited for discovering.

astatine; bismuth

> 2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
> study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
> breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field
> of her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her
> life's work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent
> cancer in 1905. Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to
> her career, or the field of study.

discovery of X-rays

> 3. A Russian physician, philosopher, economist, and a
> science-fiction writer, Alexander Bogdanov was a pioneer
> in hematology. He claimed that the procedures he pioneered
> perfected his balding and improved his eyesight. He died in
> 1928 after working with blood from a young man who was infected
> with malaria and tuberculosis. Name the procedure that this
> scientist pioneered.

blood transfusion

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

physics

> 5. Jean Fran?ois de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel

> 6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
> One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical
> plutonium core onto another, causing a critical accident.
> Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said
> to have witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died
> 9 days later. Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was
> given what hellish nickname?

Lucifer

> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
> Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
> On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
> onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
> but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
> project.

Manhattan Project

> 8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
> University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium
> that caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite
> the fact that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab
> workers. Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary
> disease that overloaded his system with iron, and likely played
> a role in his death. Name that hereditary disease.

hemachromatosis

> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

yellow fever

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

SARS

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games

> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
> platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
> to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
> space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
> the series.

Star Trek

> 2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
> can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need
> to explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
> fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.

Ren & Stimpy

> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
> add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
> and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

M*A*S*H

> 5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
> which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on
> a circular board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was
> usually installed in common areas of cargo ships, most notably
> a particular Corellian light freighter.

Star Wars: A New Hope

> 6. Cones of Dunshire: "A gaming experience for 2-12 players,
> the goal is to accumulate cones: four cones wins, but in order
> to get a cone you have to build a civilization... which is where
> the Spirit Cards come in. Each player takes on the identity
> of one of two wizards, a maverick, the Arbiter, two warriors,
> a corporal, or a ledgerman (who doesn't play but keeps score
> while wearing a hat that says 'Ledgerman'). Then there's the
> Challenge Play... the thing about the Challenge Play is that
> it's basically the game... in reverse."

Parks & Recreation

> 7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
> guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
> insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist
> and the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his
> romantic relationship with an operating system.

Her

> 8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
> that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being
> rezzed in by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers
> the driver - who is forced into a riding position - with a
> protective canopy. Each Light Cycle is colored according to
> the color of the rod that generated it.

Tron

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Blum

Dec 11, 2019, 8:47:24 PM12/11/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

Nitpick: Curie is the only person to have received Nobels in two
different sciences. John Bardeen received two in physics and Frederick
Sanger two in chemistry.

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 11, 2019, 9:28:46 PM12/11/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JLCdnUVL3abyGmzAnZ2dnUU7-
UXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries
>
> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

physics

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel

> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

yellow fever

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

Ebola

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games
>
> This round deals with fictional board games that have been created
> as plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
> We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the
> movie or TV show.
>
> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
> platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
> to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
> space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
> the series.

"Star Trek"

> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
> add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
> and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

"MASH"

> 4. Marsh-Gammon: The game is a pretty shoddy ruse for Marshall to
> get to know Victoria better, but the rules involve personal
> trivia, drinking, and an all-important buzzer. It uses a Candy
> Land board, poker chips, cards, and a sorting hat.

"How I Met Your Mother"

> 5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
> which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on
> a circular board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was
> usually installed in common areas of cargo ships, most notably
> a particular Corellian light freighter.

"Star Wars"

> 7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
> guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
> insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist
> and the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his
> romantic relationship with an operating system.

"Her"

> 8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
> that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being
> rezzed in by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers
> the driver - who is forced into a riding position - with a
> protective canopy. Each Light Cycle is colored according to
> the color of the rod that generated it.

"Tron"

> 10. Chardee Mac-Dennis: "The game consists of three levels: mind,
> body, and spirit. Level 1 includes trivia and drawing, level 2
> includes excruciating physical challenges (darts in the hand),
> and level 3 is about emotional abuse. Each round requires a
> different kind of alcohol, too."

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

Dec 12, 2019, 2:50:00 PM12/12/19
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 18:18:55 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-21, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries
>
> 1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
> He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which were
> harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
> discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any one* of
> the elements he is credited for discovering.

Chlorine

> 2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
> study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
> breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field of
> her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her life's
> work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent cancer in 1905.
> Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to her career, or the
> field of study.

radiography

> 3. A Russian physician, philosopher, economist, and a
> science-fiction writer, Alexander Bogdanov was a pioneer in
> hematology. He claimed that the procedures he pioneered perfected
> his balding and improved his eyesight. He died in 1928 after working
> with blood from a young man who was infected with malaria and
> tuberculosis. Name the procedure that this scientist pioneered.

blood transfusion

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death from
> leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to have
> received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

Physics

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the balloon
> caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of water* was he
> attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel

> 6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
> One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical plutonium
> core onto another, causing a critical accident.
> Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said to have
> witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died 9 days later.
> Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was given what hellish
> nickname?

the demon core

> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega Site
> facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico. On
> 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick onto a
> plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction but died of
> radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military project.

the Manhattan project

> 8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
> University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium that
> caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite the fact
> that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab workers.
> Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary disease that
> overloaded his system with iron, and likely played a role in his
> death. Name that hereditary disease.
>
> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and its mode
> of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor, and
> nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

I want to say malaria, but 20th century seems late

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized as
> a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of the
> infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

Not AIDS, too late.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games
>
> This round deals with fictional board games that have been created as
> plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
> We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the movie or
> TV show.
>
> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate platforms
> in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting to audiences how chess
> adapted to a future predominated by space travel. Rules for the game
> were never described within the series.

Star trek

> 2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
> can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need to
> explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
> fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.
>
> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to add to
> it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild, and you have
> to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

M*A*S*H

> 4. Marsh-Gammon: The game is a pretty shoddy ruse for Marshall to
> get to know Victoria better, but the rules involve personal trivia,
> drinking, and an all-important buzzer. It uses a Candy Land board,
> poker chips, cards, and a sorting hat.
>
> 5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
> which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on a circular
> board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was usually installed in
> common areas of cargo ships, most notably a particular Corellian
> light freighter.

Star wars

> 6. Cones of Dunshire: "A gaming experience for 2-12 players,
> the goal is to accumulate cones: four cones wins, but in order to get
> a cone you have to build a civilization... which is where the Spirit
> Cards come in. Each player takes on the identity of one of two
> wizards, a maverick, the Arbiter, two warriors,
> a corporal, or a ledgerman (who doesn't play but keeps score while
> wearing a hat that says 'Ledgerman'). Then there's the Challenge
> Play... the thing about the Challenge Play is that it's basically the
> game... in reverse."

Harry Potter

> 7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
> guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
> insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist and
> the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his romantic
> relationship with an operating system.
>
> 8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
> that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being rezzed in
> by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers the driver - who
> is forced into a riding position - with a protective canopy. Each
> Light Cycle is colored according to the color of the rod that
> generated it.

Tron

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 12, 2019, 3:14:55 PM12/12/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries
>
> 1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
> He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which
> were harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
> discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any
> one* of the elements he is credited for discovering.

Oxygen

> 2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
> study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
> breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field
> of her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her
> life's work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent
> cancer in 1905. Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to
> her career, or the field of study.

X rays

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

Physics

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

The English Channel

> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
> Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
> On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
> onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
> but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
> project.

Manhattan

> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

Dengue fever

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

SARS

Calvin

Dec 12, 2019, 6:25:59 PM12/12/19
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 10:19:01 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries
>
> 1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
> He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which
> were harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
> discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any
> one* of the elements he is credited for discovering.
>
> 2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
> study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
> breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field
> of her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her
> life's work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent
> cancer in 1905. Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to
> her career, or the field of study.
>
> 3. A Russian physician, philosopher, economist, and a
> science-fiction writer, Alexander Bogdanov was a pioneer
> in hematology. He claimed that the procedures he pioneered
> perfected his balding and improved his eyesight. He died in
> 1928 after working with blood from a young man who was infected
> with malaria and tuberculosis. Name the procedure that this
> scientist pioneered.

Blood transfusion

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

Physics

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel

> 6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
> One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical
> plutonium core onto another, causing a critical accident.
> Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said
> to have witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died
> 9 days later. Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was
> given what hellish nickname?
>
> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
> Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
> On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
> onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
> but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
> project.

Manhattan project

> 8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
> University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium
> that caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite
> the fact that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab
> workers. Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary
> disease that overloaded his system with iron, and likely played
> a role in his death. Name that hereditary disease.
>
> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

Malaria, Dengue fever

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

Swine flu, Avian flu

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games
>
> This round deals with fictional board games that have been created
> as plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
> We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the
> movie or TV show.
>
> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
> platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
> to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
> space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
> the series.

Star Trek

> 2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
> can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need
> to explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
> fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.

Futurama

> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
> add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
> and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

M*A*S*H

> 4. Marsh-Gammon: The game is a pretty shoddy ruse for Marshall to
> get to know Victoria better, but the rules involve personal
> trivia, drinking, and an all-important buzzer. It uses a Candy
> Land board, poker chips, cards, and a sorting hat.
>
> 5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
> which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on
> a circular board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was
> usually installed in common areas of cargo ships, most notably
> a particular Corellian light freighter.

Star Wars

> 6. Cones of Dunshire: "A gaming experience for 2-12 players,
> the goal is to accumulate cones: four cones wins, but in order
> to get a cone you have to build a civilization... which is where
> the Spirit Cards come in. Each player takes on the identity
> of one of two wizards, a maverick, the Arbiter, two warriors,
> a corporal, or a ledgerman (who doesn't play but keeps score
> while wearing a hat that says 'Ledgerman'). Then there's the
> Challenge Play... the thing about the Challenge Play is that
> it's basically the game... in reverse."

Highlander?

> 7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
> guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
> insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist
> and the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his
> romantic relationship with an operating system.
>
> 8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
> that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being
> rezzed in by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers
> the driver - who is forced into a riding position - with a
> protective canopy. Each Light Cycle is colored according to
> the color of the rod that generated it.
>
> 9. Bamboozle!: "You spin the Wheel of Mayhem to go up the Ladder
> of Chance, you go past the Mud Hut through the Rainbow Ring to
> get to the Golden Monkey, you pull his tail and boom, you're
> in Paradise Pond."

Jumanji

> 10. Chardee Mac-Dennis: "The game consists of three levels: mind,
> body, and spirit. Level 1 includes trivia and drawing, level 2
> includes excruciating physical challenges (darts in the hand),
> and level 3 is about emotional abuse. Each round requires a
> different kind of alcohol, too."

Dunno, but I want in :-)

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Dec 13, 2019, 8:39:11 AM12/13/19
On 12/11/19 4:18 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries
>
> 1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
> He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which
> were harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
> discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any
> one* of the elements he is credited for discovering.

cadmium

> 2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
> study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
> breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field
> of her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her
> life's work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent
> cancer in 1905. Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to
> her career, or the field of study.

X-rays

> 3. A Russian physician, philosopher, economist, and a
> science-fiction writer, Alexander Bogdanov was a pioneer
> in hematology. He claimed that the procedures he pioneered
> perfected his balding and improved his eyesight. He died in
> 1928 after working with blood from a young man who was infected
> with malaria and tuberculosis. Name the procedure that this
> scientist pioneered.

hemopheresis

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

physics

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel

> 6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
> One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical
> plutonium core onto another, causing a critical accident.
> Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said
> to have witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died
> 9 days later. Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was
> given what hellish nickname?

Demon core

> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
> Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
> On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
> onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
> but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
> project.

Manhattan Project

> 8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
> University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium
> that caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite
> the fact that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab
> workers. Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary
> disease that overloaded his system with iron, and likely played
> a role in his death. Name that hereditary disease.

hemochromatosis

> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

yellow fever

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

SARS

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games
>
> This round deals with fictional board games that have been created
> as plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
> We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the
> movie or TV show.
>
> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
> platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
> to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
> space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
> the series.

Star Trek

> 2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
> can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need
> to explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
> fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.
>
> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
> add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
> and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

MASH
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Dec 14, 2019, 4:05:07 PM12/14/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:JLCdnUVL3abyGmzAnZ2dnUU7-
UXN...@giganews.com:

Physics

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel; Seine River

> 6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
> One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical
> plutonium core onto another, causing a critical accident.
> Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said
> to have witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died
> 9 days later. Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was
> given what hellish nickname?
>
> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
> Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
> On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
> onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
> but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
> project.

Manhattan Project

> 8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
> University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium
> that caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite
> the fact that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab
> workers. Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary
> disease that overloaded his system with iron, and likely played
> a role in his death. Name that hereditary disease.
>
> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

Malaria

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games
>
> This round deals with fictional board games that have been created
> as plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
> We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the
> movie or TV show.
>
> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
> platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
> to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
> space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
> the series.

Star Trek

> 2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
> can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need
> to explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
> fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.

Ren and Stimpy

> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
> add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
> and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

M*A*S*H

> 4. Marsh-Gammon: The game is a pretty shoddy ruse for Marshall to
> get to know Victoria better, but the rules involve personal
> trivia, drinking, and an all-important buzzer. It uses a Candy
> Land board, poker chips, cards, and a sorting hat.
>
> 5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
> which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on
> a circular board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was
> usually installed in common areas of cargo ships, most notably
> a particular Corellian light freighter.

Star Wars

> 6. Cones of Dunshire: "A gaming experience for 2-12 players,
> the goal is to accumulate cones: four cones wins, but in order
> to get a cone you have to build a civilization... which is where
> the Spirit Cards come in. Each player takes on the identity
> of one of two wizards, a maverick, the Arbiter, two warriors,
> a corporal, or a ledgerman (who doesn't play but keeps score
> while wearing a hat that says 'Ledgerman'). Then there's the
> Challenge Play... the thing about the Challenge Play is that
> it's basically the game... in reverse."
>
> 7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
> guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
> insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist
> and the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his
> romantic relationship with an operating system.
>
> 8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
> that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being
> rezzed in by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers
> the driver - who is forced into a riding position - with a
> protective canopy. Each Light Cycle is colored according to
> the color of the rod that generated it.

Tron

> 9. Bamboozle!: "You spin the Wheel of Mayhem to go up the Ladder
> of Chance, you go past the Mud Hut through the Rainbow Ring to
> get to the Golden Monkey, you pull his tail and boom, you're
> in Paradise Pond."

Shrek

> 10. Chardee Mac-Dennis: "The game consists of three levels: mind,
> body, and spirit. Level 1 includes trivia and drawing, level 2
> includes excruciating physical challenges (darts in the hand),
> and level 3 is about emotional abuse. Each round requires a
> different kind of alcohol, too."

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 14, 2019, 8:29:28 PM12/14/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-21,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Science - Killed by their Own Discoveries

> 1. Carl Scheele was a chemist who discovered several elements.
> He used toxic substances for his experiments, many of which
> were harmful. He had the habit of tasting any new substance he
> discovered, and yes, eventually he died from this. Name *any
> one* of the elements he is credited for discovering.

Chlorine, manganese, molybdenum, oxygen, tungsten. 4 for Bruce
and Erland.

> 2. Elizabeth Fleischman Ascheim quit her bookkeeping job to
> study electrical science upon learning about a certain scientific
> breakthrough. She gained a reputation as a pioneer in the field
> of her expertise. Unaware of the deadly consequences of her
> life's work, she died of an extremely widespread and violent
> cancer in 1905. Name the scientific breakthrough that lead to
> her career, or the field of study.

X-rays, radiology (accepting radiography). 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce,
Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. A Russian physician, philosopher, economist, and a
> science-fiction writer, Alexander Bogdanov was a pioneer
> in hematology. He claimed that the procedures he pioneered
> perfected his balding and improved his eyesight. He died in
> 1928 after working with blood from a young man who was infected
> with malaria and tuberculosis. Name the procedure that this
> scientist pioneered.

Blood transfusions. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Calvin.

> 4. Marie Curie discovered radium and polonium, and spent the rest
> of her life performing radiation research and studying radiation
> therapy. Her continued exposure to radiation led to her death
> from leukemia in 1934. Curie is the first and only person to
> have received two Nobel Prizes in science. One was in chemistry.
> In what field was the other?

Physics. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

The sentence about "first and only" was wrong; see Dan Blum's
correction in the thread. Sorry.

> 5. Jean François de Rozier, a teacher of chemistry and physics,
> took the first manned free-flight in a balloon in the late 1700s.
> On a subsequent trip in 1785, upon reaching 1,500 feet the
> balloon caught fire and he fell to his death. *What body of
> water* was he attempting to fly across on that final voyage?

English Channel. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Erland, Calvin,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> 6. Louis Slotin helped the US design the first nuclear bomb.
> One day in 1946, he accidentally dropped one hemispherical
> plutonium core onto another, causing a critical accident.
> Other scientists who were also in the room at the time said
> to have witnessed a blue glow of air ionization. Slotin died
> 9 days later. Afterwards, the spherical plutonium core was
> given what hellish nickname?

Demon core. 4 for Bruce and Dan Tilque.

> 7. American physicist Harry Daghlian died similarly. He was
> part of the secret military R&D assignment at the remote Omega
> Site facility of Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
> On 1945-08-21 he accidentally dropped a tungsten carbide brick
> onto a plutonium bomb core; he managed to stop the reaction
> but died of radiation 25 days later. Name the secret military
> project.

Manhattan. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Erland, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 8. Malcolm Casadaban was a professor of molecular genetics at the
> University of Chicago. While experimenting with the bacterium
> that caused the plague, he became sick and died; this despite
> the fact that it was a weakened strain not known to infect lab
> workers. Casadaban was found to have undiagnosed hereditary
> disease that overloaded his system with iron, and likely played
> a role in his death. Name that hereditary disease.

Hemochromatosis. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 9. A convoy of US doctors and nurses left for Cuba at the start
> of the 20th century to study a newly important disease and
> its mode of transmission. The research involved some human and
> self-experimentation, where doctors and nurses would let infected
> mosquitos bite them and track disease incidence. One doctor,
> and nurse Clara Maass, died of this disease. Name it.

Yellow fever. (Newly important because it killed laborers on the
Panama Canal project.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. On 2003-02-28, the Vietnam-France Hospital in Hanoi asked Carlo
> Urbani to help identify an unusual infection, which he recognized
> as a new viral threat. Two weeks later he developed signs of
> the infection, and in two more weeks he was dead. However,
> he was the first to warn the world of... what fatal discovery?

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Entertainment Leisure - Fictional Board Games

> This round deals with fictional board games that have been created
> as plot devices or simply set pieces on a TV show or movie.
> We will give a brief explanation of the game, and you name the
> movie or TV show.

> 1. Tri-Dimensional Chess: The design retained the 64 squares of a
> traditional chessboard, but distributed them onto separate
> platforms in a hierarchy of spatial levels, suggesting
> to audiences how chess adapted to a future predominated by
> space travel. Rules for the game were never described within
> the series.

"Star Trek". (First seen on the original series, but accepting
any version.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 2. Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence: "If you're gonna explode, you
> can use the commode of igloos, cave dwellings, or tents. No need
> to explain when you gotta drain. Just don't whiz on the electric
> fence." Name the 1990s animated series that featured this game.

"Ren & Stimpy". 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 3. Double Cranko: A combination of checkers, chess, poker,
> blackjack, and (more important) whatever Hawkeye decides to
> add to it. "Bishops are worth three jacks, checkers are wild,
> and you have to be 21 or over to open", he tells Radar.

"M*A*S*H". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 4. Marsh-Gammon: The game is a pretty shoddy ruse for Marshall to
> get to know Victoria better, but the rules involve personal
> trivia, drinking, and an all-important buzzer. It uses a Candy
> Land board, poker chips, cards, and a sorting hat.

"How I Met Your Mother". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Dejarik or Holochess: This was a popular two-player game in
> which teams of holographic creatures battled each other on
> a circular board. Popular amongst smugglers, Holochess was
> usually installed in common areas of cargo ships, most notably
> a particular Corellian light freighter.

"Star Wars". (Again, first seen in the original movie, but accepting
any version.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Calvin, and Pete.

> 6. Cones of Dunshire: "A gaming experience for 2-12 players,
> the goal is to accumulate cones: four cones wins, but in order
> to get a cone you have to build a civilization... which is where
> the Spirit Cards come in. Each player takes on the identity
> of one of two wizards, a maverick, the Arbiter, two warriors,
> a corporal, or a ledgerman (who doesn't play but keeps score
> while wearing a hat that says 'Ledgerman'). Then there's the
> Challenge Play... the thing about the Challenge Play is that
> it's basically the game... in reverse."

"Parks & Recreation". 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Alien Child: This features a foul-mouthed alien child that
> guides players through holographic tunnels while hilariously
> insulting the player. The interaction between the protagonist
> and the AI "alien child" primed the lead character for his
> romantic relationship with an operating system.

"Her". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Light Cycles: Light Cycles are vehicles resembling motorcycles
> that are driven by programs in the Game Grid. Upon being
> rezzed in by a program's rod, a light cycle completely covers
> the driver - who is forced into a riding position - with a
> protective canopy. Each Light Cycle is colored according to
> the color of the rod that generated it.

"Tron". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 9. Bamboozle!: "You spin the Wheel of Mayhem to go up the Ladder
> of Chance, you go past the Mud Hut through the Rainbow Ring to
> get to the Golden Monkey, you pull his tail and boom, you're
> in Paradise Pond."

"Friends".

> 10. Chardee Mac-Dennis: "The game consists of three levels: mind,
> body, and spirit. Level 1 includes trivia and drawing, level 2
> includes excruciating physical challenges (darts in the hand),
> and level 3 is about emotional abuse. Each round requires a
> different kind of alcohol, too."

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Can Mis Ent Sci Ent FOUR
Dan Blum 27 3 36 11 32 28 123
Bruce Bowler 36 0 24 4 28 16 104
Pete Gayde 16 3 36 4 11 20 83
Dan Tilque 24 8 16 0 32 8 80
Joshua Kreitzer 12 0 28 8 12 28 80
"Calvin" 14 0 24 0 16 12 66
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 -- -- 24 0 32
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 8 24 -- -- 32

--
Mark Brader | The last 10% of the performance sought contributes
Toronto | one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems.