QFTCISG Game 6, Rounds 7-8: Cronenberg, squash!

Mark Brader

Nov 30, 2017, 11:38:19 PM11/30/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies

These are films by Canadian director David Cronenberg. From the
year and a short description, name the movie.

1. 1981: A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers
to hunt others like him.

2. 2002: A mentally disturbed man takes residence in a halfway
house. His mind gradually slips back into the realm created
by his illness, where he replays a key part of his childhood.

3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
horribly wrong.

4. 1988: Twin gynecologists take full advantage of the fact that
nobody can tell them apart, until their relationship begins to
deteriorate over a woman.

5. 1983: When he acquires a different kind of show for his station,
a sleazy cable-TV programmer begins to see his life and the
future of media spin out of control in a terrifying new reality.

6. 1983: A man awakens from a coma to discover he has psychic
powers.

7. 2011: A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung
and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis.

8. 2005: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero when he foils
a vicious robbery attempt, but this sets off repercussions that
will shake his family to its very core.

9. 1999: A game designer on the run from assassins must play
her latest virtual-reality creation with a marketing trainee
to determine if the game has been damaged.

10. 2007: The journal of a Russian teenager living in London who
died during childbirth containes clues to a rape involving a
violent Russian mob family.

* Game 6, Round 8 - Misc - Squash

In the spirit of Halloween: pumpkins are part of the squash family,
which comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. We will name
a variety of squash, and you give us the corresponding number on
the 3-page handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r8/squash.pdf

1. Acorn Squash.
2. Banana Squash.
3. Buttercup Squash.
4. Butternut Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, or Gramma Pumpkin.
5. Delicata Squash, Sweet Potato Squash, or Bohemian Squash.
6. Hubbard Squash.
7. Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin, or Kent Pumpkin.
8. Spaghetti Squash, also called Vegetable Spaghetti or Calabash.
9. Summer Squash.
10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.

So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
rot13 if you want to identify them for fun, but for no points.

11. Pneaviny Fdhnfu.
12. Phfgneq Juvgr Fdhnfu.
13. Rvtug-Onyy Fdhnfu.
14. Erq Xhev Fdhnfu.
15. Fhtne Chzcxva.
16. Fhaohefg Fdhnfu.
17. Fjrrg Qhzcyvat Fdhnfurf (gurer ner gjb bs gurz).

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "True excitement lies in doing
m...@vex.net | 'sdb /unix /dev/kmem'" -- Pontus Hedman

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 1, 2017, 12:52:13 AM12/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:x9udnSffFJ0oQb3HnZ2dnUU7-
XHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies
>
> These are films by Canadian director David Cronenberg. From the
> year and a short description, name the movie.
>
> 3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
> into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
> horribly wrong.

"The Fly"

> 4. 1988: Twin gynecologists take full advantage of the fact that
> nobody can tell them apart, until their relationship begins to
> deteriorate over a woman.

"Dead Ringers"

> 5. 1983: When he acquires a different kind of show for his station,
> a sleazy cable-TV programmer begins to see his life and the
> future of media spin out of control in a terrifying new reality.

"Scanners"

> 6. 1983: A man awakens from a coma to discover he has psychic
> powers.

"The Dead Zone"

> 7. 2011: A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung
> and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis.

"A Dangerous Method"

> 8. 2005: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero when he foils
> a vicious robbery attempt, but this sets off repercussions that
> will shake his family to its very core.

"A History of Violence"

> 9. 1999: A game designer on the run from assassins must play
> her latest virtual-reality creation with a marketing trainee
> to determine if the game has been damaged.

"eXistenZ"

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Misc - Squash
>
> In the spirit of Halloween: pumpkins are part of the squash family,
> which comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. We will name
> a variety of squash, and you give us the corresponding number on
> the 3-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r8/squash.pdf
>
> 1. Acorn Squash.

3; 4

> 2. Banana Squash.

15; 13

> 3. Buttercup Squash.

18

> 4. Butternut Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, or Gramma Pumpkin.

1; 2

> 5. Delicata Squash, Sweet Potato Squash, or Bohemian Squash.

5; 13

> 6. Hubbard Squash.

6; 7

> 7. Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin, or Kent Pumpkin.

8; 9

> 8. Spaghetti Squash, also called Vegetable Spaghetti or Calabash.

1; 12

> 9. Summer Squash.

12; 1

> 10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.

14

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

Dec 1, 2017, 8:00:18 AM12/1/17
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 22:38:13 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2017-09-25
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies

no thanks.

9

> 2. Banana Squash.

13

8

2

> 5. Delicata Squash, Sweet Potato Squash, or Bohemian Squash.

6

> 6. Hubbard Squash.

11

1

5

> 9. Summer Squash.

15

> 10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.

14

Dan Blum

Dec 1, 2017, 9:49:11 AM12/1/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies

> 3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
> into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
> horribly wrong.

The Fly

> 4. 1988: Twin gynecologists take full advantage of the fact that
> nobody can tell them apart, until their relationship begins to
> deteriorate over a woman.

Dead Ringers

> 5. 1983: When he acquires a different kind of show for his station,
> a sleazy cable-TV programmer begins to see his life and the
> future of media spin out of control in a terrifying new reality.

Videodrome

> 6. 1983: A man awakens from a coma to discover he has psychic
> powers.

The Dead Zone

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Misc - Squash

> 1. Acorn Squash.

7; 10

> 2. Banana Squash.

15; 13

> 3. Buttercup Squash.

18

> 4. Butternut Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, or Gramma Pumpkin.

12; 3

> 5. Delicata Squash, Sweet Potato Squash, or Bohemian Squash.

6; 5

> 6. Hubbard Squash.

16; 17

> 7. Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin, or Kent Pumpkin.

9; 8

> 8. Spaghetti Squash, also called Vegetable Spaghetti or Calabash.

2

> 9. Summer Squash.

4; 6

> 10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.

14

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 1, 2017, 8:53:15 PM12/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies
>
> These are films by Canadian director David Cronenberg. From the
> year and a short description, name the movie.
>
> 1. 1981: A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers
> to hunt others like him.
>
> 2. 2002: A mentally disturbed man takes residence in a halfway
> house. His mind gradually slips back into the realm created
> by his illness, where he replays a key part of his childhood.
>
> 3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
> into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
> horribly wrong.

The Fly
14

> 2. Banana Squash.

15

> 3. Buttercup Squash.

18

> 4. Butternut Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, or Gramma Pumpkin.

5

> 5. Delicata Squash, Sweet Potato Squash, or Bohemian Squash.
> 6. Hubbard Squash.
> 7. Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin, or Kent Pumpkin.
> 8. Spaghetti Squash, also called Vegetable Spaghetti or Calabash.
> 9. Summer Squash.
> 10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.

14

> So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
> rot13 if you want to identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Pneaviny Fdhnfu.
> 12. Phfgneq Juvgr Fdhnfu.
> 13. Rvtug-Onyy Fdhnfu.
> 14. Erq Xhev Fdhnfu.
> 15. Fhtne Chzcxva.
> 16. Fhaohefg Fdhnfu.
> 17. Fjrrg Qhzcyvat Fdhnfurf (gurer ner gjb bs gurz).

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Dec 3, 2017, 4:29:59 PM12/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:x9udnSffFJ0oQb3HnZ2dnUU7-
XHN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies
>
> These are films by Canadian director David Cronenberg. From the
> year and a short description, name the movie.
>
> 1. 1981: A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers
> to hunt others like him.
>
> 2. 2002: A mentally disturbed man takes residence in a halfway
> house. His mind gradually slips back into the realm created
> by his illness, where he replays a key part of his childhood.
>
> 3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
> into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
> horribly wrong.

The Fly
9

> 2. Banana Squash.

15; 13

> 3. Buttercup Squash.

18; 17

> 4. Butternut Squash, Butternut Pumpkin, or Gramma Pumpkin.

2

> 5. Delicata Squash, Sweet Potato Squash, or Bohemian Squash.

7; 13

> 6. Hubbard Squash.

5; 10

> 7. Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin, or Kent Pumpkin.

6; 11

> 8. Spaghetti Squash, also called Vegetable Spaghetti or Calabash.

15

> 9. Summer Squash.

15

> 10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.

14

> So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
> rot13 if you want to identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Pneaviny Fdhnfu.
> 12. Phfgneq Juvgr Fdhnfu.
> 13. Rvtug-Onyy Fdhnfu.
> 14. Erq Xhev Fdhnfu.
> 15. Fhtne Chzcxva.
> 16. Fhaohefg Fdhnfu.
> 17. Fjrrg Qhzcyvat Fdhnfurf (gurer ner gjb bs gurz).

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Dec 3, 2017, 7:06:11 PM12/3/17
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 11:38:19 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies
>
> These are films by Canadian director David Cronenberg. From the
> year and a short description, name the movie.
>
> 1. 1981: A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers
> to hunt others like him.
"Scanners"
> 2. 2002: A mentally disturbed man takes residence in a halfway
> house. His mind gradually slips back into the realm created
> by his illness, where he replays a key part of his childhood.
>
> 3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
> into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
> horribly wrong.
"The Fly"
> 4. 1988: Twin gynecologists take full advantage of the fact that
> nobody can tell them apart, until their relationship begins to
> deteriorate over a woman.
"Dead Ringers"
> 5. 1983: When he acquires a different kind of show for his station,
> a sleazy cable-TV programmer begins to see his life and the
> future of media spin out of control in a terrifying new reality.
"Videodrome"
> 6. 1983: A man awakens from a coma to discover he has psychic
> powers.
"The Dead Zone"
> 7. 2011: A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung
> and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis.
>
> 8. 2005: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero when he foils
> a vicious robbery attempt, but this sets off repercussions that
> will shake his family to its very core.

> 9. 1999: A game designer on the run from assassins must play
> her latest virtual-reality creation with a marketing trainee
> to determine if the game has been damaged.
"Existenz"
> 10. 2007: The journal of a Russian teenager living in London who
> died during childbirth containes clues to a rape involving a
> violent Russian mob family.
"A History of Violence"

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Misc - Squash
>
> In the spirit of Halloween: pumpkins are part of the squash family,
> which comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. We will name
> a variety of squash, and you give us the corresponding number on
> the 3-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r8/squash.pdf
>
> 1. Acorn Squash.
2.
> 2. Banana Squash.
1.
4
7
> 7. Kabocha Squash, Japanese Pumpkin, or Kent Pumpkin.
8
> 8. Spaghetti Squash, also called Vegetable Spaghetti or Calabash.
9
> 9. Summer Squash.
10
> 10. Turban Squash, or Turk's Turban.
>11
> So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
> rot13 if you want to identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Pneaviny Fdhnfu.
> 12. Phfgneq Juvgr Fdhnfu.
18
> 13. Rvtug-Onyy Fdhnfu.
12
> 14. Erq Xhev Fdhnfu.
15
> 15. Fhtne Chzcxva.
14
> 16. Fhaohefg Fdhnfu.
13
> 17. Fjrrg Qhzcyvat Fdhnfurf (gurer ner gjb bs gurz).
16

Mark Brader

Dec 4, 2017, 5:12:06 AM12/4/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 7: Entertainment - David Cronenberg Movies

> These are films by Canadian director David Cronenberg. From the
> year and a short description, name the movie.

> 1. 1981: A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers
> to hunt others like him.

"Scanners". 4 for Jason.

> 2. 2002: A mentally disturbed man takes residence in a halfway
> house. His mind gradually slips back into the realm created
> by his illness, where he replays a key part of his childhood.

"Spider".

> 3. 1986: A brilliant but eccentric scientist begins to transform
> into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes
> horribly wrong.

"The Fly". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Jason.

> 4. 1988: Twin gynecologists take full advantage of the fact that
> nobody can tell them apart, until their relationship begins to
> deteriorate over a woman.

"Dead Ringers". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 5. 1983: When he acquires a different kind of show for his station,
> a sleazy cable-TV programmer begins to see his life and the
> future of media spin out of control in a terrifying new reality.

"Videodrome". 4 for Dan Blum and Jason.

> 6. 1983: A man awakens from a coma to discover he has psychic
> powers.

"The Dead Zone". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 7. 2011: A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung
> and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis.

"A Dangerous Method". 4 for Joshua.

> 8. 2005: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero when he foils
> a vicious robbery attempt, but this sets off repercussions that
> will shake his family to its very core.

"A History of Violence". 4 for Joshua.

> 9. 1999: A game designer on the run from assassins must play
> her latest virtual-reality creation with a marketing trainee
> to determine if the game has been damaged.

"eXistenZ". 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 10. 2007: The journal of a Russian teenager living in London who
> died during childbirth containes clues to a rape involving a
> violent Russian mob family.

"Eastern Promises".

#9. 4 for Bruce and Pete.

#13. 4 for Bruce. 2 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

#8. 4 for Bruce.

#2. 4 for Bruce and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

#6. 4 for Bruce and Jason. 3 for Dan Blum.

#11. 4 for Bruce.

#1. 4 for Bruce.

#5. 4 for Bruce.

#15. 4 for Bruce and Pete.

#14. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
> rot13 if you want to identify them for fun, but for no points.

Nobody got any of these.

#3.

#17.

#16.

#7.

#10.

#18.

#4 and #12.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Can Art Spo Ent Mis FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 19 16 4 32 24 8 91
Pete Gayde 13 6 4 32 4 18 69
Dan Blum 17 2 14 11 16 9 58
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 4 24 24 4 56
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 0 40 40
Dan Tilque -- -- 4 16 4 4 28
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 0 28 -- -- 28
Peter Smyth -- -- 0 20 -- -- 20
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 15 -- -- 15

--
Mark Brader | "Mechanics, musicians, and programmers all know
Toronto | how to arrange numerous small units into logical