Calvin's Quiz #413

Calvin

Oct 26, 2015, 12:41:15 AM10/26/15

1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.
2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?
3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?
4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?
6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?
7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American fantasy author?
8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy series?
9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?
10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 26, 2015, 12:58:57 AM10/26/15
Calvin:
> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines
> (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men
> competed.

I'd think they'd be synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymastics.
I'll go with synchronized swimming.

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million
> sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Xbox?

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?

Blofeld?

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Zambia.

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

St. Helena, I hope.

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats
> for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which
> 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?

> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are
> novels by which American fantasy author?

Meyer. Without an S, except in Stephenie, and without an A anywhere.

> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which
> complex TV spy series?

"Alias".

> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Tequila?

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a
> punctuation mark?

Colon.
--
Mark Brader "The best you can write will be the best you are.
Toronto Every sentence is the result of a long probation."

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 26, 2015, 1:20:03 AM10/26/15
On 2015-10-26, Calvin wrote:

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

Balance beam

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Play Station

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?

Blofeld

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Zambia

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Elba

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?

Ain't No Sunshine

> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American fantasy author?

Meyer

> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy series?

Alias

> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Rum

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?

Colon

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 26, 2015, 2:41:01 AM10/26/15
In article <6f680c18-b9c4-4ed0...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.
> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?
PlayStation 2

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?
Blofeld

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
Zambia

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?
Elba

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?
Ain't No Sunshine

> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American fantasy author?
> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy series?
Alias

> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?
white rum

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?
colon

Gareth Owen

Oct 26, 2015, 3:17:53 AM10/26/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as
> distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

Rhythmic gymnastics

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million
> sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Playstation 2

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?

Blofeld

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Nope

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Elba

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for
> 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song
> is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?

Lovely Day

> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are
> novels by which American fantasy author?

Twilight

> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex
> TV spy series?

Nope

> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Rum

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a
> punctuation mark?

Colon

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 26, 2015, 10:09:24 AM10/26/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines
> (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

100 m hurdles

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million
> sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Playstation

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Angola

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Elba

> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Tequila

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a
> punctuation mark?

Colon

David B

Oct 26, 2015, 10:29:06 AM10/26/15
1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as
distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

Heptathlon.

2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold,
what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Playstation 2.

3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?
4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Africa.

5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Elba.

6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s,
it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase
"I know" repeated 26 times?
7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by
which American fantasy author?
8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy
series?
9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Rum.

10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation
mark?

Colon.

--
David B
http://waterfalls.me.uk

Björn Lundin

Oct 26, 2015, 12:40:07 PM10/26/15
On 2015-10-26 05:41, Calvin wrote:

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.
Synchronized swimming (Think Ester Williams)

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?
Sonic the Hedgehog ?

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?
Number 1
> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
Angola
> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?
S:t Helena
> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?
> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American fantasy author?
Stephanie Meyer
> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy series?
> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?
Rum
> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?
colon?

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

bbowler

Oct 26, 2015, 1:25:42 PM10/26/15
On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 21:41:14 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as
> distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

Rhythmic Gymnastics

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million
sold,
> what is the best selling video game console of all time?
> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation
SPECTRE?

Ernst Blofeld (aka "Number 1")

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

St Helena

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for
> 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is
> the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?
> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are
novels
> by which American fantasy author?
> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex
TV
> spy series?
> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Tequila

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a
> punctuation mark?

Colon

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Oct 26, 2015, 5:55:44 PM10/26/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines
> (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men
> competed.

Synchronized Swimming

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over
> 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all
> time?

Playstation

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime
> organisation SPECTRE?

Blofeld

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Rwanda

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Elba

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats
> for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971
> song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?

Anytime She Goes Away

> 7 All best-sellers,
> "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American
> fantasy author?

Meyers

> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney
> Bristow in which complex TV spy series?
> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

Tabasco

> 10 What five-letter word
> is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?

Colon

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Peter Smyth

Oct 27, 2015, 2:16:34 PM10/27/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as
> distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.
Synchonised Swimming and Rhythmic Gymnastics
> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million
> sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?
Playstation 2
> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?
Blofeld
> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
Zambia
> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?
Elba
> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for
> 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song
> is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?
>
> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are
> novels by which American fantasy author?
>
> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex
> TV spy series?
Alias
> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?
Rum
> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a
> punctuation mark?
Colon

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Oct 28, 2015, 6:56:08 AM10/28/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

Synchronized swimming

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Playstation

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?

Blofeld

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Namibia

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Ebla

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?

Ain't No Sunshine

> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American fantasy author?

those are part of the Twilight series, but I can't remember the author.

> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy series?
> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

sake

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?

colon

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Nov 1, 2015, 8:57:55 PM11/1/15
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 2:41:15 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 At the 2012 London Olympics, name either of the two disciplines (as distinct from sports or events) in which women but not men competed.

Synchronized swimming or rhythmic gymnastics
Various other answers given were events, not disciplines

> 2 Careful now - released by Sony in 2000 and with over 150 million sold, what is the best selling video game console of all time?

Playstation 2

> 3 Which character is head of the fictional crime organisation SPECTRE?

Ernst Blofeld / Number 1

> 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?

Angola

> 5 To which island was Napoleon exiled in 1814?

Elba

> 6 Written whilst he was working at a factory making toilet seats for 747s, it was a breakthrough hit for Bill Withers. In which 1971 song is the phrase "I know" repeated 26 times?

Ain't No Sunshine

> 7 All best-sellers, "Eclipse", "New Moon" and "Breaking Dawn" are novels by which American fantasy author?

Stephenie Meyer

> 8 Jennifer Garner played the role of Sydney Bristow in which complex TV spy series?

Alias

> 9 Which spirit is traditionally used in a Mojito cocktail?

[White] Rum

> 10 What five-letter word is both part of the human body and a punctuation mark?

Colon

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 413
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 8 52 Peter Smyth
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 57 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 60 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 39 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 37 Bjorn Lundin
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 6 38 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 5 31 Pete Gayde
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 5 33 Dan Tilque
0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 4 25 David Brown
1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 17 Bruce Bowler
0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 3 26 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
7 4 9 6 8 3 5 4 6 11 63 57%

Congratulations Peter.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 2, 2015, 12:06:28 AM11/2/15
"Calvin":
> 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 6 38 Mark Brader

Remove that extra 1 or face ridicule!
--
Mark Brader | "The remedy for speech that is false is speech that is true.
Toronto | This is the ordinary course in a free society."

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 2, 2015, 12:31:36 AM11/2/15
In article <cd74d5f4-2276-40e0...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 2:41:15 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
>
> > 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
>
> Angola

Nope. That's Luanda.

Mark Brader

Nov 2, 2015, 12:40:21 AM11/2/15
Mark Brader:
> Remove that extra 1 or face ridicule!

On second thought, Calvin *already* gets ridiculed, for posting a wrong
answer as the correct one. Thanks for spotting it, Marc.
--
Mark Brader | "The nice thing about standards is
Toronto | that you have so many to choose from..."

Calvin

Nov 2, 2015, 6:21:35 PM11/2/15
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 3:31:36 PM UTC+10, Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> In article <cd74d5f4-2276-40e0...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...
> >
> > On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 2:41:15 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> >
> > > 4 Lusaka is the capital of which African country?
> >
> > Angola
>
> Nope. That's Luanda.

How quickly these things come back to bite one.

Revised scores if there are no further errors:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 413
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 8 52 Peter Smyth
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 57 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 60 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 39 Gareth Owen