QFTCIMM16 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: eastern medicine, ON parks

Mark Brader

Feb 4, 2017, 3:09:16 PM2/4/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage

1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
By what name is this life-force known?

2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
within the body. How are these energy paths known?

3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
or the treatment.

5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
physiological trait. What trait?

6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
What is this therapy?

8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
the practitioner to the patient. Name it.

10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
traditional Indian medicine known?

* Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks

1. Ontario's largest provincial park is named for Ontario's
largest predator. Name the park.

2. Ontario's only poisonous rattlesnake lends its name to this park,
located on the shores of Georgian Bay. Name the provincial park.

3. Located near the town of Brighton, this popular provincial park
protects a sand spit that extends into Lake Ontario, and which is
"almost an island". Name the park.

4. 1200 pre-Columbian images of native spirituality, including
animals, reptiles, and native shamen have been carved into a
rock dome northeast of Peterborough. The rock has been covered
by a protective building, and photos are prohibited at this
sacred site. Name the park.

5. Sibley Provincial Park changed its name in 1988 to better
reflect its main feature, a group of mesas that resemble a
figure lying on its back, when viewed from a nearby city.
Name the park.

6. Prince Edward County is home to a provincial park which boasts
large dunes and three vast beaches, among them Outlet Beach,
with its gentle gradient and shallow waters. Name the park.

7. The main feature of this provincial park is Mazinaw Rock, whose
cliffs rise straight up 100 m out of the park's eponymous lake,
and is covered with native pictographs. Name the park.

8. Between Lake Nipissing and Georgian Bay along a major fur-trade
route lies this park, which contains the first designated
Canadian Heritage River -- the traditional boundary between
Northern and Southern Ontario. Name the park or the river.

9. Name the park widely known as the "crown jewel" of the Ontario
Park system, famous for its topaz-blue lakes, its brilliantly
white quartzite ridges, the hike to Silver Peak, and the view
from "the Crack".

10. The boundary of Ontario and Minnesota is home to a large
wilderness park, renowned for excellent canoeing on 600 lakes.
The origin of the park's name is unknown, but we can say that
it has nothing at all to do with the Quebec Timber Company,
since no such company has ever existed. Name the park.

--
Mark Brader | "I'm a little worried about the bug-eater", she said.
Toronto | "We're embedded in bugs, have you noticed?"

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 4, 2017, 5:50:41 PM2/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:uZ6dna5adMp6qQvFnZ2dnUU7-
e3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

qi

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

shiatsu

> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

cupping

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

acupuncturists

> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?

ayurveda

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks
>
> 10. The boundary of Ontario and Minnesota is home to a large
> wilderness park, renowned for excellent canoeing on 600 lakes.
> The origin of the park's name is unknown, but we can say that
> it has nothing at all to do with the Quebec Timber Company,
> since no such company has ever existed. Name the park.

Quebec Timber Company Park

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Feb 4, 2017, 6:00:46 PM2/4/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?
Chi
> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
>
> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?
>
> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
Blindness
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.
Cupping
> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?
>
> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?
Herbalists
> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.
>
> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?
Vedic

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 4, 2017, 10:18:22 PM2/4/17
On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 3:09:16 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?
Chi
> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
>
> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?
Shiatsu?

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 4, 2017, 11:25:37 PM2/4/17
In article <uZ6dna5adMp6qQvF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?
chi

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
meridians

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?
shiatsu

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
>
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.
>
> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?
reflexology

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?
>
> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.
>
> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?

Dan Tilque

Feb 5, 2017, 4:13:01 AM2/5/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

qi

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
>
> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?
>
> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
>
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.
>
> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?
>
> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

feng shui

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.
>
> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks
>
> 1. Ontario's largest provincial park is named for Ontario's
> largest predator. Name the park.

Cougar Provincial Park

(this question would be easier if there weren't so bloody many synonyms
for that animal)

> 2. Ontario's only poisonous rattlesnake lends its name to this park,
> located on the shores of Georgian Bay. Name the provincial park.

Timber Rattlersnake Provincial Park

> 3. Located near the town of Brighton, this popular provincial park
> protects a sand spit that extends into Lake Ontario, and which is
> "almost an island". Name the park.
>
> 4. 1200 pre-Columbian images of native spirituality, including
> animals, reptiles, and native shamen have been carved into a
> rock dome northeast of Peterborough. The rock has been covered
> by a protective building, and photos are prohibited at this
> sacred site. Name the park.
>
> 5. Sibley Provincial Park changed its name in 1988 to better
> reflect its main feature, a group of mesas that resemble a
> figure lying on its back, when viewed from a nearby city.
> Name the park.

Sleeping Giant Provencial Park

> 6. Prince Edward County is home to a provincial park which boasts
> large dunes and three vast beaches, among them Outlet Beach,
> with its gentle gradient and shallow waters. Name the park.
>
> 7. The main feature of this provincial park is Mazinaw Rock, whose
> cliffs rise straight up 100 m out of the park's eponymous lake,
> and is covered with native pictographs. Name the park.

Simcoe Provincial Park

> 8. Between Lake Nipissing and Georgian Bay along a major fur-trade
> route lies this park, which contains the first designated
> Canadian Heritage River -- the traditional boundary between
> Northern and Southern Ontario. Name the park or the river.
>
> 9. Name the park widely known as the "crown jewel" of the Ontario
> Park system, famous for its topaz-blue lakes, its brilliantly
> white quartzite ridges, the hike to Silver Peak, and the view
> from "the Crack".
>
> 10. The boundary of Ontario and Minnesota is home to a large
> wilderness park, renowned for excellent canoeing on 600 lakes.
> The origin of the park's name is unknown, but we can say that
> it has nothing at all to do with the Quebec Timber Company,
> since no such company has ever existed. Name the park.

Quetico Provincial Park

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Feb 5, 2017, 5:56:36 AM2/5/17
Mark Brader:
>> 1. Ontario's largest provincial park is named for Ontario's
>> largest predator. Name the park.

Dan Tilque:
> Cougar Provincial Park
>
> (this question would be easier if there weren't so bloody many synonyms
> for that animal)

(Evil chuckle)
--
Mark Brader "You can stop laughing now.
Toronto Well, maybe you *can't*, but you *may*."

Dan Blum

Feb 5, 2017, 10:26:57 AM2/5/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage

> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

chi

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

shiatsu

> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

cupping

> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?

reflexology

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

acupuncutrists

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.

reiki

> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?

ayurvedic

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete

Feb 5, 2017, 4:41:33 PM2/5/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:uZ6dna5adMp6qQvFnZ2dnUU7-
e3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

Chi

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
>
> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

Shiatsu

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
>
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

Puckering

> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?

Shiatsu

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

Acupuncturists

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.

Shiatsu

> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks
>
> 1. Ontario's largest provincial park is named for Ontario's
> largest predator. Name the park.
>
> 2. Ontario's only poisonous rattlesnake lends its name to this park,
> located on the shores of Georgian Bay. Name the provincial park.
>
> 3. Located near the town of Brighton, this popular provincial park
> protects a sand spit that extends into Lake Ontario, and which is
> "almost an island". Name the park.

Point Pelee
Pete Gayde

Don Piven

Feb 5, 2017, 4:48:32 PM2/5/17
On 2/4/17 14:09, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

Qi.

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
>
> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

Shiatsu.

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
>
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

Cupping.

> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?

Reflexology.

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

Acupuncture.

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.

Reiki.

> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks
>
> 1. Ontario's largest provincial park is named for Ontario's
> largest predator. Name the park.

Polar Bear.
Quetico.

Calvin

Feb 5, 2017, 5:36:37 PM2/5/17
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 6:09:16 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

Qi

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?

Meridian lines

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

Acupressure?

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
>
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

Cupping

> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?

Reflexology

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

Acupuncturists

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.
>
> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Bruce

Feb 6, 2017, 9:34:53 AM2/6/17
On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 14:09:11 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

Qi

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?

meridians

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

Shiatsu

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb or the
> treatment.

mugwort

> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?

bound (therefor tiny) feet

> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

Cupping

> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond to
> bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs. What is
> this therapy?

Reflexology

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

Acupuncturists

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from the
> practitioner to the patient. Name it.

Reiki

> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which grew
> concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is traditional
> Indian medicine known?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks

I believe all of these things already have names and it would be
presumptuous of me to name them, therefor I decline. :-)

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 6, 2017, 2:33:14 PM2/6/17
Repost because I don't see it on my server.
> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage
>
> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?
chi

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?
meridians

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?
shiatsu

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.
>
> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?
>
> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.
>
> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?
reflexology

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?
>
> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.
>
> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?

Mark Brader

Feb 7, 2017, 5:03:32 PM2/7/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 7 - "Science" - Eastern Medicine and Massage

> 1. A fundamental principle of Oriental medicine is the existence of
> a life-force or energy that circulates through the body.
> By what name is this life-force known?

Qi, ki, or chi. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Peter, Jason, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, Don, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 2. <answer 1> is believed to follow certain paths or passages
> within the body. How are these energy paths known?

Meridians. 4 for Marc, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 3. In this form of Japanese massage, pressure on points along the
> meridians promotes movement, and prevents blockage, of <answer 1>
> energy. Its name means literally "finger pressure". What is it?

Shiatsu. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Marc, Dan Blum, Pete, Don, and Bruce.

> 4. Another method for promoting <answer 1> flow is applied heat,
> created by burning a dried herb over the skin. Name the herb
> or the treatment.

Moxa (or mugwort), moxibustion. 4 for Bruce.

> 5. <answer 3> is largely based on an older tradition of Japanese
> massage known as anma. From the 18th century into the 20th, the
> practice of anma was restricted by law to those with particular
> physiological trait. What trait?

Blindness. 4 for Peter.

> 6. A recent fad among athletes, this therapy is intended to dispel
> stagnant energy. Evidence of its use was apparent on Michael
> Phelps's skin during the last Olympics. Name it.

Cupping. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Don, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 7. This therapy, developed in the West but leaning on Oriental
> medicine, posits that areas on the soles of the feet correspond
> to bodily organs, and that foot massage can treat these organs.
> What is this therapy?

Reflexology. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Don, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 8. Since 2013, this branch of Oriental medicine has been regulated
> in Ontario. Its name completes the title of "the College of
> Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and"... who?

Acupuncturists. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Don, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 9. This form of Japanese massage, developed in the 1920s, uses
> palm or hands-on healing to transfer "universal energy" from
> the practitioner to the patient. Name it.

Reiki. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, and Bruce.

> 10. While Thai massage shows significant Chinese influence, its
> primary source is the ancient Indian school of medicine which
> grew concurrently with Chinese medicine. By what name is
> traditional Indian medicine known?

Ayurveda. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum. 3 for Peter.

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - Ontario's Provincial Parks

> 1. Ontario's largest provincial park is named for Ontario's
> largest predator. Name the park.

Polar Bear. 4 for Don.

> 2. Ontario's only poisonous rattlesnake lends its name to this park,
> located on the shores of Georgian Bay. Name the provincial park.

Massassauga. (Not Mississauga, which is a city on Lake Ontario.)

> 3. Located near the town of Brighton, this popular provincial park
> protects a sand spit that extends into Lake Ontario, and which is
> "almost an island". Name the park.

Presqu'ile ["Presk-EEL"].

> 4. 1200 pre-Columbian images of native spirituality, including
> animals, reptiles, and native shamen have been carved into a
> rock dome northeast of Peterborough. The rock has been covered
> by a protective building, and photos are prohibited at this
> sacred site. Name the park.

Petroglyphs.

> 5. Sibley Provincial Park changed its name in 1988 to better
> reflect its main feature, a group of mesas that resemble a
> figure lying on its back, when viewed from a nearby city.
> Name the park.

Sleeping Giant. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. Prince Edward County is home to a provincial park which boasts
> large dunes and three vast beaches, among them Outlet Beach,
> with its gentle gradient and shallow waters. Name the park.

Sandbanks.

> 7. The main feature of this provincial park is Mazinaw Rock, whose
> cliffs rise straight up 100 m out of the park's eponymous lake,
> and is covered with native pictographs. Name the park.

Bon Echo.

> 8. Between Lake Nipissing and Georgian Bay along a major fur-trade
> route lies this park, which contains the first designated
> Canadian Heritage River -- the traditional boundary between
> Northern and Southern Ontario. Name the park or the river.

French River.

> 9. Name the park widely known as the "crown jewel" of the Ontario
> Park system, famous for its topaz-blue lakes, its brilliantly
> white quartzite ridges, the hike to Silver Peak, and the view
> from "the Crack".

Killarney.

> 10. The boundary of Ontario and Minnesota is home to a large
> wilderness park, renowned for excellent canoeing on 600 lakes.
> The origin of the park's name is unknown, but we can say that
> it has nothing at all to do with the Quebec Timber Company,
> since no such company has ever existed. Name the park.

Quetico ["KWET-ick-oh"]. 4 for Dan Tilque and Don.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo His Lit Sci Can FOUR
Bruce Bowler 36 12 16 28 32 0 112
Gareth Owen 28 22 19 36 -- -- 105
Dan Tilque 36 12 24 32 4 8 104
Dan Blum 23 6 22 28 28 0 101
Joshua Kreitzer 8 20 24 28 20 0 92
Don Piven 36 15 16 16 24 8 92
Marc Dashevsky 28 16 20 16 16 0 80
"Calvin" 16 16 18 20 20 0 74
Peter Smyth 16 12 22 16 15 0 69
Pete Gayde 12 22 22 12 12 0 68
Jason Kreitzer 4 4 8 16 8 0 36
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 27 0 -- -- 27

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"You take the bottle out of the box, take the cotton out of the