QFTCIMM16 Final, Round 7: Sports

Mark Brader

Apr 12, 2017, 11:48:11 PM4/12/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 7 - Sports

Sports: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/spor.jpg

* Sports Monuments

For each picture, identify the athlete being honored.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/3.jpg

* Formula One Circuits

4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
is that circuit named?

5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?

6. Since 1970, two circuits in Germany have been used for F1
Grand Prix racing. They are likewise named after nearby cities.
Name either.

* Canadian Curling

Identify the Canadian curler in each photo.

7. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/7.jpg>.
Considered by many to be the greatest curler of all time,
he won 4 Briers, a world championship and a gold medal at the
2010 Olympics.

8. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/8.jpg>.
From Manitoba, she's a 5-time national champion and her rink
won the gold medal at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.

9. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/9.jpg>.
He appeared in 14 Briers, 8 representing Ontario and 6 with New
Brunswick, winning the title twice. Also a 2-time world champ
in 1987 and 1993.

* Men's Professional Tennis Players who are Not Roger Federer,
Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, or Andy Murray

The Big Four have dominated men's professional tennis for the
last 10 years. Here are some questions about the players in
their shadows.

10. Although this 31-year-old Swiss player has never reached higher
than #3 in the rankings, he has three Grand Slam victories to
his credit, each time beating the world's #1 player. This year
it was Djokovic he beat at the US Open. Name him.

11. Born in Montenegro, this 25-year-old player has never reached
higher than #3 in the rankings. He is among the strongest
servers in the game. Though he has never won a Grand Slam title,
he made it to the final of this year's Wimbledon Championship,
losing to Andy Murray. Name him.

12. This 28-year-old Argentine beat both Nadal and Federer to
take the 2009 US Open, then disappeared due to injury. He came
back in 2011 to reach #4, was injured once more, and this year
returned yet again, losing a heartbreaking gold-medal match in
Rio to Andy Murray. Name him.

* Futility Streaks

Where applicable, you can give either the city or the team name
-- as long as this is unambiguous. For example, "Toronto" is
sufficient for the Maple Leafs, but "New York" is not sufficient
for the Rangers.

13. Founded in 1884, this city's soccer team had never won a
top-flight championship until last year, when they came out of
nowhere to win Britain's Premier League. Name the city.

14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
teams has *also* gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?

15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
of them.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Every new technology carries with it an opportunity
m...@vex.net | to invent a new crime" -- Laurence A. Urgenson

Dan Tilque

Apr 13, 2017, 1:50:25 AM4/13/17
St Louis Blues

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.

Houston Astros

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 13, 2017, 2:01:27 AM4/13/17
In article <oJSdnVwQpfRraXPF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports
>
> Sports: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/spor.jpg
>

> * Sports Monuments
>
> For each picture, identify the athlete being honored.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/1.jpg
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/2.jpg
Bobby Orr

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/3.jpg
>

> * Formula One Circuits
>
> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?
Monza
Minneapolis

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.
Houston Astros

Peter Smyth

Apr 13, 2017, 4:06:50 AM4/13/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports
>
> Sports: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/spor.jpg
>

> * Sports Monuments
>
> For each picture, identify the athlete being honored.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/1.jpg
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/2.jpg
Gretzky, Howe
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/3.jpg
Diego Maradona

> * Formula One Circuits
>
> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?
Monza
> 5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
> of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
> town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?
Spa
> 6. Since 1970, two circuits in Germany have been used for F1
> Grand Prix racing. They are likewise named after nearby cities.
> Name either.
Hockenheim

> * Canadian Curling
>
> Identify the Canadian curler in each photo.
>
> 7. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/7.jpg>.
> Considered by many to be the greatest curler of all time,
> he won 4 Briers, a world championship and a gold medal at the
> 2010 Olympics.
>
> 8. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/8.jpg>.
> From Manitoba, she's a 5-time national champion and her rink
> won the gold medal at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.
>
> 9. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/9.jpg>.
> He appeared in 14 Briers, 8 representing Ontario and 6 with New
> Brunswick, winning the title twice. Also a 2-time world champ
> in 1987 and 1993.
>

> * Men's Professional Tennis Players who are Not Roger Federer,
> Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, or Andy Murray
>
> The Big Four have dominated men's professional tennis for the
> last 10 years. Here are some questions about the players in
> their shadows.
>
> 10. Although this 31-year-old Swiss player has never reached higher
> than #3 in the rankings, he has three Grand Slam victories to
> his credit, each time beating the world's #1 player. This year
> it was Djokovic he beat at the US Open. Name him.
Stanislas Wawrinka
> 11. Born in Montenegro, this 25-year-old player has never reached
> higher than #3 in the rankings. He is among the strongest
> servers in the game. Though he has never won a Grand Slam title,
> he made it to the final of this year's Wimbledon Championship,
> losing to Andy Murray. Name him.
>
> 12. This 28-year-old Argentine beat both Nadal and Federer to
> take the 2009 US Open, then disappeared due to injury. He came
> back in 2011 to reach #4, was injured once more, and this year
> returned yet again, losing a heartbreaking gold-medal match in
> Rio to Andy Murray. Name him.
Juan Martin del Potro

> * Futility Streaks
>
> Where applicable, you can give either the city or the team name
> -- as long as this is unambiguous. For example, "Toronto" is
> sufficient for the Maple Leafs, but "New York" is not sufficient
> for the Rangers.
>
> 13. Founded in 1884, this city's soccer team had never won a
> top-flight championship until last year, when they came out of
> nowhere to win Britain's Premier League. Name the city.
Leicester
> 14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
> but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
> teams has also gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?
Colorado Avalanche
> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.
Texas Rangers

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 13, 2017, 2:19:27 PM4/13/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/2.jpg

Gordie Howe
> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?

Monza

> 5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
> of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
> town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?

Spa

> 6. Since 1970, two circuits in Germany have been used for F1
> Grand Prix racing. They are likewise named after nearby cities.
> Name either.

Hockenheim and Nürnburgring

> * Canadian Curling
>
> Identify the Canadian curler in each photo.
>
> 7. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/7.jpg>.
> Considered by many to be the greatest curler of all time,
> he won 4 Briers, a world championship and a gold medal at the
> 2010 Olympics.

That would be Annette Norberg who is not Can... oh you said "he",
oh well.

> 10. Although this 31-year-old Swiss player has never reached higher
> than #3 in the rankings, he has three Grand Slam victories to
> his credit, each time beating the world's #1 player. This year
> it was Djokovic he beat at the US Open. Name him.

Stan Wavrinka

> 11. Born in Montenegro, this 25-year-old player has never reached
> higher than #3 in the rankings. He is among the strongest
> servers in the game. Though he has never won a Grand Slam title,
> he made it to the final of this year's Wimbledon Championship,
> losing to Andy Murray. Name him.

Ivanisevic

> 12. This 28-year-old Argentine beat both Nadal and Federer to
> take the 2009 US Open, then disappeared due to injury. He came
> back in 2011 to reach #4, was injured once more, and this year
> returned yet again, losing a heartbreaking gold-medal match in
> Rio to Andy Murray. Name him.

Del Potro

> 13. Founded in 1884, this city's soccer team had never won a
> top-flight championship until last year, when they came out of
> nowhere to win Britain's Premier League. Name the city.

Leceister

> 14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
> but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
> teams has *also* gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?

Vancouver Cannucks

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.

Seattle Mariners

Gareth Owen

Apr 13, 2017, 3:25:53 PM4/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> For each picture, identify the athlete being honored.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/1.jpg

Me
> * Formula One Circuits
>
> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?

Monza

> 5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
> of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
> town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?

Spa

> 6. Since 1970, two circuits in Germany have been used for F1
> Grand Prix racing. They are likewise named after nearby cities.
> Name either.

Hockenheim. Nurburgring.

> * Canadian Curling

That's a hard pass.

> 10. Although this 31-year-old Swiss player has never reached higher
> than #3 in the rankings, he has three Grand Slam victories to
> his credit, each time beating the world's #1 player. This year
> it was Djokovic he beat at the US Open. Name him.

Stanislaw Wawrinka

> 11. Born in Montenegro, this 25-year-old player has never reached
> higher than #3 in the rankings. He is among the strongest
> servers in the game. Though he has never won a Grand Slam title,
> he made it to the final of this year's Wimbledon Championship,
> losing to Andy Murray. Name him.

Raonic

> 12. This 28-year-old Argentine beat both Nadal and Federer to
> take the 2009 US Open, then disappeared due to injury. He came
> back in 2011 to reach #4, was injured once more, and this year
> returned yet again, losing a heartbreaking gold-medal match in
> Rio to Andy Murray. Name him.

Juan-Martin del Potro

> * Futility Streaks
>
> Where applicable, you can give either the city or the team name
> -- as long as this is unambiguous. For example, "Toronto" is
> sufficient for the Maple Leafs, but "New York" is not sufficient
> for the Rangers.
>
> 13. Founded in 1884, this city's soccer team had never won a
> top-flight championship until last year, when they came out of
> nowhere to win Britain's Premier League. Name the city.

Leicester (LESS-ter)

> 14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
> but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
> teams has *also* gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?

Vancouver Canucks

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.

Seattle Pilots (later the Milwaukee Brewers) - "Smoke 'em inside"

Pete Gayde

Apr 13, 2017, 4:16:18 PM4/13/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:oJSdnVwQpfRraXPFnZ2dnUU7-
UnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports
>
> Sports: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/spor.jpg
>

> * Sports Monuments
>
> For each picture, identify the athlete being honored.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/1.jpg
> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/2.jpg

Bobby Orr

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/3.jpg

Diego Maradona

> * Formula One Circuits
>
> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?

Monza

> 5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
> of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
> town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?
>
> 6. Since 1970, two circuits in Germany have been used for F1
> Grand Prix racing. They are likewise named after nearby cities.
> Name either.

Nurburgring

> * Canadian Curling
>
> Identify the Canadian curler in each photo.
>
> 7. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/7.jpg>.
> Considered by many to be the greatest curler of all time,
> he won 4 Briers, a world championship and a gold medal at the
> 2010 Olympics.
>
> 8. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/8.jpg>.
> From Manitoba, she's a 5-time national champion and her rink
> won the gold medal at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.
>
> 9. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/9.jpg>.
> He appeared in 14 Briers, 8 representing Ontario and 6 with New
> Brunswick, winning the title twice. Also a 2-time world champ
> in 1987 and 1993.
>

> * Men's Professional Tennis Players who are Not Roger Federer,
> Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, or Andy Murray
>
> The Big Four have dominated men's professional tennis for the
> last 10 years. Here are some questions about the players in
> their shadows.
>
> 10. Although this 31-year-old Swiss player has never reached higher
> than #3 in the rankings, he has three Grand Slam victories to
> his credit, each time beating the world's #1 player. This year
> it was Djokovic he beat at the US Open. Name him.

Stan Wawrinka

> 11. Born in Montenegro, this 25-year-old player has never reached
> higher than #3 in the rankings. He is among the strongest
> servers in the game. Though he has never won a Grand Slam title,
> he made it to the final of this year's Wimbledon Championship,
> losing to Andy Murray. Name him.
>
> 12. This 28-year-old Argentine beat both Nadal and Federer to
> take the 2009 US Open, then disappeared due to injury. He came
> back in 2011 to reach #4, was injured once more, and this year
> returned yet again, losing a heartbreaking gold-medal match in
> Rio to Andy Murray. Name him.
>

> * Futility Streaks
>
> Where applicable, you can give either the city or the team name
> -- as long as this is unambiguous. For example, "Toronto" is
> sufficient for the Maple Leafs, but "New York" is not sufficient
> for the Rangers.
>
> 13. Founded in 1884, this city's soccer team had never won a
> top-flight championship until last year, when they came out of
> nowhere to win Britain's Premier League. Name the city.

Leicester

> 14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
> but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
> teams has *also* gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?

St Louis Blues

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.

Houston Astros

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 14, 2017, 7:20:33 PM4/14/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:oJSdnVwQpfRraXPFnZ2dnUU7-
UnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports
>
> * Formula One Circuits
>
> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?

Monza

> 5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
> of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
> town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?

Spa

> * Futility Streaks
>
> 14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
> but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
> teams has *also* gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?

Vancouver Canucks

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.

Washington Nationals

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2017, 9:55:48 PM4/15/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 7 - Sports

> Sports: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/spor.jpg

This round was tied with Rounds 3 and 6 (Arts & Literature and
Geography) as the hardest in the original game.

> * Sports Monuments

> For each picture, identify the athlete being honored.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/1.jpg

Edward "Ned" Hanlan.

See: http://torontoplaques.com/Graphics/Ned_Hanlan_Plaque.jpg
Hanlan's Point on the Toronto Islands is named after him -- before
the area became parkland, he used to run a hotel there -- and that's
where the statue is.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/2.jpg

Bobby Orr. (See also Game 4, Round 2.) 4 for Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/monu/3.jpg

Diego Maradona. 4 for Peter, Erland, Gareth, and Pete.

> * Formula One Circuits

> 4. The Formula One Italian Grand Prix is run on one of the world's
> oldest purpose-built tracks or circuits. For which nearby city
> is that circuit named?

Monza. 4 for Marc, Peter, Erland, Gareth, Pete, and Joshua.

> 5. The Belgian F1 Grand Prix is run on a circuit in the village
> of Francorchamps, but is popularly known by the name of a nearby
> town famous for its mineral springs. Which town?

Spa. 4 for Peter, Erland, Gareth, and Joshua.

> 6. Since 1970, two circuits in Germany have been used for F1
> Grand Prix racing. They are likewise named after nearby cities.
> Name either.

Hockenheim(ring), Nürburg(ring). (Not Nürnberg, aka Nuremberg;
and since both cities exist I'm not allowing "Nürnburg" as
almost correct.) 4 for Peter, Gareth (the hard way), and Pete.
3 for Erland.

> * Canadian Curling

> Identify the Canadian curler in each photo.

> 7. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/7.jpg>.
> Considered by many to be the greatest curler of all time,
> he won 4 Briers, a world championship and a gold medal at the
> 2010 Olympics.

Kevin Martin.

> 8. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/8.jpg>.
> From Manitoba, she's a 5-time national champion and her rink
> won the gold medal at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.

Jennifer Jones.

> 9. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/curl/9.jpg>.
> He appeared in 14 Briers, 8 representing Ontario and 6 with New
> Brunswick, winning the title twice. Also a 2-time world champ
> in 1987 and 1993.

Russ Howard.

> * Men's Professional Tennis Players who are Not Roger Federer,
> Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, or Andy Murray

> The Big Four have dominated men's professional tennis for the
> last 10 years. Here are some questions about the players in
> their shadows.

> 10. Although this 31-year-old Swiss player has never reached higher
> than #3 in the rankings, he has three Grand Slam victories to
> his credit, each time beating the world's #1 player. This year
> it was Djokovic he beat at the US Open. Name him.

Stan Wawrinka. 4 for Peter, Erland, Gareth, and Pete.

> 11. Born in Montenegro, this 25-year-old player has never reached
> higher than #3 in the rankings. He is among the strongest
> servers in the game. Though he has never won a Grand Slam title,
> he made it to the final of this year's Wimbledon Championship,
> losing to Andy Murray. Name him.

Milos Raonic. 4 for Gareth.

> 12. This 28-year-old Argentine beat both Nadal and Federer to
> take the 2009 US Open, then disappeared due to injury. He came
> back in 2011 to reach #4, was injured once more, and this year
> returned yet again, losing a heartbreaking gold-medal match in
> Rio to Andy Murray. Name him.

Juan Martín del Potro. 4 for Peter, Erland, and Gareth.

> * Futility Streaks

> Where applicable, you can give either the city or the team name
> -- as long as this is unambiguous. For example, "Toronto" is
> sufficient for the Maple Leafs, but "New York" is not sufficient
> for the Rangers.

> 13. Founded in 1884, this city's soccer team had never won a
> top-flight championship until last year, when they came out of
> nowhere to win Britain's Premier League. Name the city.

Leicester. 4 for Peter, Erland, Gareth, and Pete.

> 14. We know the Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967,
> but at least they're not alone. One of the 1967 expansion
> teams has *also* gone 49 years without a cup. Which one?

(The aptly named) St. Louis Blues. 4 for Dan and Pete.

The Vancouver Canucks were a popular wrong answer, but of course
they didn't join the NHL until its *next* expansion, in 1970.

> 15. In Major League Baseball, 5 of the franchises founded in the
> 1960s have likewise not yet won a World Series. Name *any one*
> of them.

* Washington Senators (1961), later Texas Rangers (1972);
* Houston Colt .45s (1962), later Houston Astros (1965);
* Montreal Expos (1969), later Washington Nationals (2005);
* Seattle Pilots (1969), later Milwaukee Brewers (1970);
* San Diego Padres (1969). Any of these names was acceptable.
So, 4 for Dan, Marc, Peter, Gareth, Pete, and Joshua.

The Seattle Mariners franchise was not founded until 1977.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Sci Geo Spo THREE
Bruce Bowler -- 32 60 28 -- 120
Joshua Kreitzer 39 34 20 32 12 105
Pete Gayde 6 28 -- 40 32 100
Peter Smyth 32 -- 36 28 32 100
Dan Tilque 28 16 48 16 8 92
Erland Sommarskog 20 8 11 40 27 87
Don Piven 28 -- 56 -- -- 84
"Calvin" 42 27 -- -- -- 69
Dan Blum 39 23 -- -- -- 62
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 -- 16 12 56
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- 40 40
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 4 -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader "...living through a coup involves a lot of
Toronto sitting around refreshing web pages."