QFTCICR19 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: symbols, challenge round

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2019, 12:46:44 AM2/28/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Symbols

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-9/sym.png

In each case we will name a symbol or describe what it means,
and you must give us its number on the handout.

1. The square root of -1.
2. Octothorpe.
3. Tilde.
4. Null set (in set theory).
5. Infinity.
6. Euro (currency).
7. Ellipsis.
8. Indicates that two triangles are congruent (in geometry).
9. Factorial (in math).

10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

The organizers did not provide a list of the other symbols shown,
but I will. If you want to identify them for fun, but for no points,
decode the following rot13:

11. Fdhner ebbg.
12. Wncnarfr lra.
13. Engvb bs n pvepyr'f pvephzsrerapr gb vgf qvnzrgre (va trbzrgel).
14. Vaqvpngrf fhzzngvba bs n frevrf (va zngu).
15. "Vf n cebcre fhofrg bs" (va frg gurbel).
16. Vaqvpngrf vagrtengvba (va pnyphyhf).
17. Gurersber (va zngu).
18. "Vf cebcbegvbany gb" (va zngu).
19. Oevgvfu cbhaq (pheerapl).
20. Gur frg bs vagrtref.

** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Quiz Show Scandals

A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals
by coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where
the show was produced.

A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

* B. Cold War Invasion Attempts

B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
How is this incident usually referred to?

B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
*its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
In which country was this failed attack?

* C. Sports Competitions

C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
always between which two teams?

C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
of them over the other. Which two countries play?

* D. City Centers

D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
Hanoi Capital Region?

D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
house?

* E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal

E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
due to his association with left-wing individuals.

E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.

* F. Relatives

F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
but moved at an early age to Australia.

F2. British actor Anthony Booth played the role of Warren
Mitchell's son-in-law on the British TV series "Till Death
Us Do Part" -- but these are not actor questions either.
Booth had a very famous *son-in-law*: who?

--
Mark Brader | "...as many as my brain could handle
Toronto | off the top of its head..."

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 28, 2019, 4:28:31 AM2/28/19

5

1

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

13

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

20

6

4

8

> The organizers did not provide a list of the other symbols shown,
> but I will. If you want to identify them for fun, but for no points,
> decode the following rot13:
>
> 11. Fdhner ebbg.

10

3

> 13. Engvb bs n pvepyr'f pvephzsrerapr gb vgf qvnzrgre (va trbzrgel).

11

7

> 15. "Vf n cebcre fhofrg bs" (va frg gurbel).

14

9

> 17. Gurersber (va zngu).

19

> 18. "Vf cebcbegvbany gb" (va zngu).

12

> 19. Oevgvfu cbhaq (pheerapl).

17

> 20. Gur frg bs vagrtref.

15

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts
>
> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

Bay of Pigs

> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
> *its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
> It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?

China

> * C. Sports Competitions
>
> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

Europe and America

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

Australia and England

> * D. City Centers
>
> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?

A lake. (Only heard about it the other day in an article about the
Trump/Kim meeting where it was mentioned in passing.

> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?

La Scala

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.

Sakharov

Dan Blum

Feb 28, 2019, 9:02:34 AM2/28/19

5

1

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

13

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

20

4

> 10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
> sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

8

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Quiz Show Scandals

> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
> him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

20 Questions

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts

> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

Bay of Pigs

> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
> *its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
> It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?

Czechoslovakia; Yugoslavia

> * C. Sports Competitions

> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

US and UK

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

UK and Australia

> * D. City Centers

> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?

mountain; canyon

> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?

La Scala

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal

> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
> Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
> due to his association with left-wing individuals.

Oppenheimer

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.

Sakharov

> * F. Relatives

> F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
> by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
> but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
> Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
> but moved at an early age to Australia.

Nicole Kidman

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Feb 28, 2019, 3:38:21 PM2/28/19

5

1

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

14

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

20

4

> 10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
> sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

8

> The organizers did not provide a list of the other symbols shown, but I
> will. If you want to identify them for fun, but for no points,
> decode the following rot13:
>
> 11. Square root.

10

3

> 13. Ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter (in geometry).

11

7

> 15. "Is a proper subset of" (in set theory).

12

9

> 17. Therefore (in math).

19

> 18. "Is proportional to" (in math).

16

> 19. British pound (currency).

17

> 20. The set of integers.
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Quiz Show Scandals
>
> A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
> quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals by
> coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where the show
> was produced.

Weakest Link - England

> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep him
> on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

$64,000 question

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts
>
> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact they
> were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?
>
> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow *its*
> Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured. It later
> emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?
>

> * C. Sports Competitions
>
> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

US and Europe

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one of them
> over the other. Which two countries play?
>

> * D. City Centers
>
> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?
>
> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera house?
>

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal
>
> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan Project.
> After the war his security clearance was revoked due to his
> association with left-wing individuals.

Oppenheimer

Calvin

Feb 28, 2019, 3:53:38 PM2/28/19

5

1

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

20, 13

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

12

> 8. Indicates that two triangles are congruent (in geometry).

14, 6

4

> 10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
> sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

8

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Quiz Show Scandals
>
> A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
> quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals
> by coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where
> the show was produced.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, UK version

> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
> him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

The $64,000 question?

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts
>
> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

Bay of Pigs invasion

> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
> *its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
> It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?

Romania, Albania

> * C. Sports Competitions
>
> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

USA and Europe nowadays, though it hasn't always been Europe

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

England and Australia

> * D. City Centers
>
> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?

Mountain, lake

> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?

La Scala

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal
>
> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
> Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
> due to his association with left-wing individuals.

Oppenheimer

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.
>

> * F. Relatives
>
> F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
> by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
> but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
> Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
> but moved at an early age to Australia.

Olivia Newton-John

> F2. British actor Anthony Booth played the role of Warren
> Mitchell's son-in-law on the British TV series "Till Death
> Us Do Part" -- but these are not actor questions either.
> Booth had a very famous *son-in-law*: who?

Tony Blair

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Feb 28, 2019, 10:01:38 PM2/28/19

5

1

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

13

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

20

4

> 10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
> sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

8

(that's called an Eszett)

> The organizers did not provide a list of the other symbols shown,
> but I will. If you want to identify them for fun, but for no points,
> decode the following rot13:
>
> 11. Fdhner ebbg.
> 12. Wncnarfr lra.
> 13. Engvb bs n pvepyr'f pvephzsrerapr gb vgf qvnzrgre (va trbzrgel).
> 14. Vaqvpngrf fhzzngvba bs n frevrf (va zngu).
> 15. "Vf n cebcre fhofrg bs" (va frg gurbel).
> 16. Vaqvpngrf vagrtengvba (va pnyphyhf).
> 17. Gurersber (va zngu).
> 18. "Vf cebcbegvbany gb" (va zngu).
> 19. Oevgvfu cbhaq (pheerapl).
> 20. Gur frg bs vagrtref.
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Quiz Show Scandals
>
> A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
> quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals
> by coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where
> the show was produced.
>
> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
> him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

$64,000 Question

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts
>
> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

Bay of Pigs

> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
> *its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
> It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?
>

> * C. Sports Competitions
>
> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

US and European

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

UK and Australia

> * D. City Centers
>
> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?
>
> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?
>

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal
>
> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
> Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
> due to his association with left-wing individuals.

Teller

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.
>

> * F. Relatives
>
> F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
> by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
> but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
> Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
> but moved at an early age to Australia.
>
> F2. British actor Anthony Booth played the role of Warren
> Mitchell's son-in-law on the British TV series "Till Death
> Us Do Part" -- but these are not actor questions either.
> Booth had a very famous *son-in-law*: who?

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Mar 1, 2019, 11:21:24 AM3/1/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1MudnXgdoYYi6OrBnZ2dnUU7-
dHN...@giganews.com:

5

> 2. Octothorpe.

12

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

13

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

20

4

> 10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
> sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

8

> The organizers did not provide a list of the other symbols shown,
> but I will. If you want to identify them for fun, but for no points,
> decode the following rot13:
>
> 11. Fdhner ebbg.
> 12. Wncnarfr lra.
> 13. Engvb bs n pvepyr'f pvephzsrerapr gb vgf qvnzrgre (va trbzrgel).
> 14. Vaqvpngrf fhzzngvba bs n frevrf (va zngu).
> 15. "Vf n cebcre fhofrg bs" (va frg gurbel).
> 16. Vaqvpngrf vagrtengvba (va pnyphyhf).
> 17. Gurersber (va zngu).
> 18. "Vf cebcbegvbany gb" (va zngu).
> 19. Oevgvfu cbhaq (pheerapl).
> 20. Gur frg bs vagrtref.
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Quiz Show Scandals
>
> A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
> quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals
> by coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where
> the show was produced.
>
> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
> him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

The $64,000 Question

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts
>
> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

Bay of Pigs

> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
> *its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
> It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?

East Germany; Czechoslovakia

> * C. Sports Competitions
>
> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

United States and Europe

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

England and Australia

> * D. City Centers
>
> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?

Lake

> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?

La Scala

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal
>
> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
> Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
> due to his association with left-wing individuals.

Oppenheimer

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.
>

> * F. Relatives
>
> F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
> by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
> but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
> Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
> but moved at an early age to Australia.
>
> F2. British actor Anthony Booth played the role of Warren
> Mitchell's son-in-law on the British TV series "Till Death
> Us Do Part" -- but these are not actor questions either.
> Booth had a very famous *son-in-law*: who?

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 1, 2019, 5:47:23 PM3/1/19

5

1

> 3. Tilde.

16

> 4. Null set (in set theory).

13

2

> 6. Euro (currency).

18

> 7. Ellipsis.

20

4

> 10. Used in the German language to represent a double S or "sz"
> sound, for example replacing the "ss" in "Strasse" (street).

8

> The organizers did not provide a list of the other symbols shown,
> but I will. If you want to identify them for fun, but for no points,
> decode the following rot13:
>
> 11. Fdhner ebbg.

10

3

> 13. Engvb bs n pvepyr'f pvephzsrerapr gb vgf qvnzrgre (va trbzrgel).

11

> 14. Vaqvpngrf fhzzngvba bs n frevrf (va zngu).

7

> 15. "Vf n cebcre fhofrg bs" (va frg gurbel).

14

> 16. Vaqvpngrf vagrtengvba (va pnyphyhf).

9

> 17. Gurersber (va zngu).

19

> 18. "Vf cebcbegvbany gb" (va zngu).

12

> 19. Oevgvfu cbhaq (pheerapl).

17

> 20. Gur frg bs vagrtref.

15

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Quiz Show Scandals
>
> A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
> quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals
> by coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where
> the show was produced.

"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" -- UK

> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
> him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

"Twenty-One"

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts
>
> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

Bay of Pigs

> * C. Sports Competitions
>
> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

USA is one team, UK & Ireland is the other team

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

England and Australia

> * D. City Centers
>
> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?

La Scala

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal
>
> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
> Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
> due to his association with left-wing individuals.

Oppenheimer (?)

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.

Sakharov

> * F. Relatives
>
> F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
> by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
> but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
> Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
> but moved at an early age to Australia.

Olivia Newton-John

> F2. British actor Anthony Booth played the role of Warren
> Mitchell's son-in-law on the British TV series "Till Death
> Us Do Part" -- but these are not actor questions either.
> Booth had a very famous *son-in-law*: who?

Tony Blair

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Mar 3, 2019, 1:49:58 AM3/3/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-02-11,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 3 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has made a late charge to win!
Hearty congratulations, sir.

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Symbols

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-9/sym.png

> In each case we will name a symbol or describe what it means,
> and you must give us its number on the handout.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

#5. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Bruce, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Joshua.

#1. Of course it has other names too. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
Bruce, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

#16. 4 for everyone.

#13. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.
2 for Calvin.

#2. 4 for everyone.

#18. 4 for everyone.

#20. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

#6. 4 for Erland, Bruce, and Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

When I learned about congruence, the symbol for it was one that's
not on the handout -- instead of the tilde-like upper element, it
has a third horizontal bar. And I wasn't the only one: this question
drew some complaints in the original game. According to Wikipedia,
that symbol is more common in the UK while the one on the handout
is more common in the US. (And since both are used, I decided to
leave the question alone when posting it here.)

In Unicode the symbol on the handout has hexadecimal value 2245 and
is named "approximately equal to", which is another of its meanings.
(Still another meaning, according to mathworld.wolfram.com, is
"isomorphic to".) For the meaning "approximately equal to", the lower
bar is more commonly omitted, making Unicode 2243, which Unicode calls
"asymptotically equal to", or else two of the tilde-like elements are
used with no straight bar, making Unicde 2248, which Unicode calls
"almost equal to". The triple bar that I learned for congruence is
Unicode 2261, which Unicode calls "identical to". For the Unicode
symbols and names see: http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf

Wotta mess.

#4. 4 for everyone.

#8. 4 for everyone.

The form ß is only used in lower case, and only in Germany and Austria
(of the four predominantly German-speaking countries); Straße becomes
STRASSE when written in block capitals, and Strasse in Switzerland
and Liechtenstein, as you can verify by looking at street signs in
Google Street View.

#10. Erland, Bruce, and Joshua got this.

Historically at least, the horizontal bar is a vinculum serving like
parentheses to group the operand, and not part of the square-root
symbol, Unicode 221A. The bar might be omitted when the operand is
a simple expression such as a number or a variable.

#3. Erland, Bruce, and Joshua got this.

#11. Erland, Bruce, and Joshua got this.

#7. (Unicode 2211, named "n-ary summation".) Erland, Bruce,
and Joshua got this.

#14. (Unicode 2282, named "subset of".) Erland and Joshua got this.

#9. (Unicode 222B.) Erland, Bruce, and Joshua got this.

#19. (Unicode 2234.) Erland, Bruce, and Joshua got this.

#12. (Unicode 221D.) Erland and Joshua got this.

#17. (Also used for some other currencies with similar names.)
Erland, Bruce, and Joshua got this.

#15. Erland and Joshua got this.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Quiz Show Scandals

> A1. Charles Ingram was found guilty of cheating on a certain TV
> quiz show by having a member of the audience send him signals
> by coughing. Give the title *and* name the country where
> the show was produced.

"Who Wants to be a Millionaire", UK version. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> A2. In the 1950s a TV quiz-show contestant named Charles
> Van Doren was seen to obtain unusually high scores.
> He eventually admitted he had been given information by the
> producers to prepare before the show -- they wanted to keep
> him on the air because he was quite photogenic. What show?

"Twenty-One". (These events were fictionalized in the 1994 movie
"Quiz Show".) 4 for Joshua.

> * B. Cold War Invasion Attempts

> B1. In the early 1960s the US sent a number of combatants into
> Cuba in an attempt to overthrow the Castro regime. In fact
> they were rapidly captured by the Cuban authorities.
> How is this incident usually referred to?

The Bay of Pigs. (From the Bahía de Cochinos, where they landed.)
4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Joshua.

> B2. In the late 1940s the US and the UK sent a number of
> combatants into *this* country in an attempt to overthrow
> *its* Communist regime. In fact they were rapidly captured.
> It later emerged that their spy in Britain, Kim Philby,
> had tipped off the Soviets to the correct time and place.
> In which country was this failed attack?

Albania. 2 for Calvin.

> * C. Sports Competitions

> C1. The Ryder Cup golf tournament takes place every two years --
> always between which two teams?

United States vs. Europe. 4 for Erland, Bruce, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

Originally it was the US vs. Great Britain, but the US came to
dominate it to such an extent that the format was changed.

> C2. The Ashes is a test cricket series between two countries,
> which emerged out of a resounding victory in 1892 of one
> of them over the other. Which two countries play?

England (not UK) vs. Australia. 4 for Erland, Calvin, Pete,
and Joshua.

> * D. City Centers

> D1. What type of geographical feature is at the center of the
> Hanoi Capital Region?

A lake. 4 for Erland and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

This was the second Hanoi question in this game. The first one was
in the current-events round and only asked what country Trump was
going to meet Kim Jong Un in, but the specific city was Hanoi.

> D2. In the center of Milan are many shops and restaurants,
> the cathedral known as the Dome, and which famous opera
> house?

La Scala. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, and Joshua.

> * E. Nuclear-Weapon Physicists Called Disloyal

> E1. Name the US physicist who, with General Groves, headed up
> the development of the atom bomb during the Manhattan
> Project. After the war his security clearance was revoked
> due to his association with left-wing individuals.

Robert Oppenheimer. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Calvin, Pete, and Joshua.

> E2. Name the Soviet physicist who helped his country develop
> the hydrogen bomb in the 1950s. A dissident and
> human-rights activist, he was exiled to the city of Gorky
> after criticizing the invasion of Afghanistan.

Andrei Sakharov. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> * F. Relatives

> F1. Germany physicist Max Born contributed to quantum mechanics
> by studying the probabilistic aspects of the theory --
> but never mind that, these are not the physicist questions.
> Just name his famous *granddaughter*, who was born in Wales
> but moved at an early age to Australia.

Olivia Newton-John. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> F2. British actor Anthony Booth played the role of Warren
> Mitchell's son-in-law on the British TV series "Till Death
> Us Do Part" -- but these are not actor questions either.
> Booth had a very famous *son-in-law*: who?

Tony Blair. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo His Ent Sci Geo Mis Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 8 12 40 30 36 40 36 182
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 4 36 44 40 24 172
"Calvin" 15 20 8 24 38 32 36 150
Dan Blum 4 16 28 40 24 36 16 144
Dan Tilque 12 20 4 36 36 36 8 140
Pete Gayde 16 6 11 23 26 32 24 121
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- 36 36 36 8 116

Dan Blum

Mar 3, 2019, 10:03:01 AM3/3/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> #8. 4 for everyone.

> The form ? is only used in lower case, and only in Germany and Austria
> (of the four predominantly German-speaking countries); Stra?e becomes
> STRASSE when written in block capitals, and Strasse in Switzerland
> and Liechtenstein, as you can verify by looking at street signs in
> Google Street View.

Actually I believe whatever body is on charge of such things in
Germany recently approved an upper-case version of this. But this
doesn't affect the question.