QFTCI5EP Game 4, Rounds 9-10: bookstores, planet challenge

Mark Brader

Jun 9, 2017, 11:02:27 PM6/9/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores

Originally called Cadabra (not to be confused with "Cadaver"!),
Amazon came into existence in 1994 to sell books. Now it sells just
about everything and books bring in a mere 7% of its total revenue.
In any case, every month there seem to be fewer and fewer actual
bookstores. But here are some quite excellent ones, some even
famous, and most of which have weathered the online storms.

1. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, the Beat poet, co-founded this bookstore
in 1953 in San Francisco. Name it.

2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
Name the bookstore.

3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
In what city is Powell's located?

4. Still owned by the family that founded it in 1973, Elliott Bay
Book Company is located in this city and is named after a body
of water the municipality encircles. Name the city.

5. Founded in 1893 and once touted as the oldest continuously
operating bookstore in Canada, this Toronto book emporium
closed its doors for good in 1999. Its former building just
north of Bloor St. on Yonge is now a Starbucks. Name the
legendary bookstore.

6. Although rumors have been rife over the past couple of years
that Booked Up in Archer, Texas, was closing entirely, its
website fiercely claims that isn't so. What famous writer of
the novels "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" founded
and still owns this bookstore, which first opened its doors in
Washington, DC, in 1971?

7. If you love books, especially used or rare ones, a visit to
this Lower Manhattan shop is mandatory. It proudly claims
to have 18 miles of books, and was founded in 1927. It was
once located on Book Row on 4th Av., home of 48 bookstores,
all vanished except this one, currently located at 12th St.
and Broadway. Name this store.

8. Mr. B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath, England, offers,
besides a great selection of books and comfy chairs, what it
calls bibliotherapy and reading spas. Strangely enough, it
also features the name, Mr. B, of a seemingly nasty character
in fiction who tries to seduce a young woman in his employ.
Hardly the stuff of relaxation. The 18th-century novel is by
Samuel Richardson. What's the novel's title?

9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
about beef. What city is it located in?

10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
Union was signed here.

** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round

* A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury

A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?

A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
Name the model.

* B. Arts: Venus in Art

B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
Name this artist.

* C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness

Name these geographical features.

C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
Very otherworldly.

C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
name of one of the world's largest mining companies.

* D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies

D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
Martian warrior. Name the film.

D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.

* E. Science: Jupiter's Moons

E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
is more than that of the planet Mercury?

E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

* F. History: Neptune in Myth

F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
also have heavenly bodies named after them.

F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

--
Mark Brader Be there or be... hmmm. I can't pretend that a
Toronto six-hour seminar on trivia skills is exactly the

Dan Blum

Jun 9, 2017, 11:59:21 PM6/9/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores

> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.

Shakespeare's Books

> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?

Portland, Oregon

> 6. Although rumors have been rife over the past couple of years
> that Booked Up in Archer, Texas, was closing entirely, its
> website fiercely claims that isn't so. What famous writer of
> the novels "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" founded
> and still owns this bookstore, which first opened its doors in
> Washington, DC, in 1971?

Cormac McCarthy

> 7. If you love books, especially used or rare ones, a visit to
> this Lower Manhattan shop is mandatory. It proudly claims
> to have 18 miles of books, and was founded in 1927. It was
> once located on Book Row on 4th Av., home of 48 bookstores,
> all vanished except this one, currently located at 12th St.
> and Broadway. Name this store.

The Strand

> 8. Mr. B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath, England, offers,
> besides a great selection of books and comfy chairs, what it
> calls bibliotherapy and reading spas. Strangely enough, it
> also features the name, Mr. B, of a seemingly nasty character
> in fiction who tries to seduce a young woman in his employ.
> Hardly the stuff of relaxation. The 18th-century novel is by
> Samuel Richardson. What's the novel's title?

Pamela

> 9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
> theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
> original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
> reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
> It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
> where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
> about beef. What city is it located in?

Buenos Aires

> 10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
> housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
> veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
> is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
> Union was signed here.

Maastricht

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.

Cougar

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art

> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Botticelli

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.

Titian

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness

> Name these geographical features.

> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.

Giants Causeway

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies

> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.

Total Recall

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons

> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Europa

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth

> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Jupiter

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 10, 2017, 4:25:01 AM6/10/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.

Fnac (Which is not likely to be the answer, but I can always try it.)

> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?

Portland, OR

> 4. Still owned by the family that founded it in 1973, Elliott Bay
> Book Company is located in this city and is named after a body
> of water the municipality encircles. Name the city.

Seattle (I will have to assume from Elliott Bay. But I have never been
there, or heard of it. The only bookstore in Seattle I know is the
Barnes & Knobles outlet. I guess I need to move around more.)

> 9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
> theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
> original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
> reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
> It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
> where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
> about beef. What city is it located in?

Buenos Aires

> 10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
> housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
> veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
> is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
> Union was signed here.

Maasstricht

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Michelangelo

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.

Leonardi da Vinci

> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Io

> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Titan

Peter Smyth

Jun 10, 2017, 7:38:53 AM6/10/17
Giants Causeway
> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
> name of one of the world's largest mining companies.
>

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.
Total Recall
> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.
>

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?
Io, Ganymede
> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.
Ganymede, Io

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.
>
> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.
Poseidon

Peter smyth

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 10, 2017, 1:24:52 PM6/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Y4OdnV3Y6_Gg_KbEnZ2dnUU7-
V_N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores
>
> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.

Shakespeare & Company

> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?

Denver; Portland

> 6. Although rumors have been rife over the past couple of years
> that Booked Up in Archer, Texas, was closing entirely, its
> website fiercely claims that isn't so. What famous writer of
> the novels "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" founded
> and still owns this bookstore, which first opened its doors in
> Washington, DC, in 1971?

McMurtry

> 7. If you love books, especially used or rare ones, a visit to
> this Lower Manhattan shop is mandatory. It proudly claims
> to have 18 miles of books, and was founded in 1927. It was
> once located on Book Row on 4th Av., home of 48 bookstores,
> all vanished except this one, currently located at 12th St.
> and Broadway. Name this store.

Strand

> 8. Mr. B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath, England, offers,
> besides a great selection of books and comfy chairs, what it
> calls bibliotherapy and reading spas. Strangely enough, it
> also features the name, Mr. B, of a seemingly nasty character
> in fiction who tries to seduce a young woman in his employ.
> Hardly the stuff of relaxation. The 18th-century novel is by
> Samuel Richardson. What's the novel's title?

Pamela

> 9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
> theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
> original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
> reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
> It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
> where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
> about beef. What city is it located in?

Buenos Aires

> 10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
> housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
> veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
> is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
> Union was signed here.

Maastricht

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury
>
> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?

Marquis

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Botticelli

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.

Botticelli

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness
>
> Name these geographical features.
>
> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.

Giant's Causeway

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.

"Total Recall"

> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.

"Mission to Mars"

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Io

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Pluto

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 10, 2017, 7:04:04 PM6/10/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores
>
> Originally called Cadabra (not to be confused with "Cadaver"!),
> Amazon came into existence in 1994 to sell books. Now it sells just
> about everything and books bring in a mere 7% of its total revenue.
> In any case, every month there seem to be fewer and fewer actual
> bookstores. But here are some quite excellent ones, some even
> famous, and most of which have weathered the online storms.
>
> 1. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, the Beat poet, co-founded this bookstore
> in 1953 in San Francisco. Name it.
>
> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.
>
> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?

Portland, OR

> 4. Still owned by the family that founded it in 1973, Elliott Bay
> Book Company is located in this city and is named after a body
> of water the municipality encircles. Name the city.

Seattle
Maastricht

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury
>
> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?

Grand Marquis

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.
>

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Botticelli

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.
>

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness
>
> Name these geographical features.
>
> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.
>
> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
> name of one of the world's largest mining companies.
>

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.

Total Recall

> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.
>

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Europa

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Jupiter

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 11, 2017, 12:01:14 AM6/11/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 11:02:27 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores
>
> Originally called Cadabra (not to be confused with "Cadaver"!),
> Amazon came into existence in 1994 to sell books. Now it sells just
> about everything and books bring in a mere 7% of its total revenue.
> In any case, every month there seem to be fewer and fewer actual
> bookstores. But here are some quite excellent ones, some even
> famous, and most of which have weathered the online storms.
>
> 1. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, the Beat poet, co-founded this bookstore
> in 1953 in San Francisco. Name it.
City Lights

> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.
>
> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?
>
> 4. Still owned by the family that founded it in 1973, Elliott Bay
> Book Company is located in this city and is named after a body
> of water the municipality encircles. Name the city.
>
> 5. Founded in 1893 and once touted as the oldest continuously
> operating bookstore in Canada, this Toronto book emporium
> closed its doors for good in 1999. Its former building just
> north of Bloor St. on Yonge is now a Starbucks. Name the
> legendary bookstore.
>
> 6. Although rumors have been rife over the past couple of years
> that Booked Up in Archer, Texas, was closing entirely, its
> website fiercely claims that isn't so. What famous writer of
> the novels "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" founded
> and still owns this bookstore, which first opened its doors in
> Washington, DC, in 1971?
McMurtry
Da Vinci
> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.
>

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness
>
> Name these geographical features.
>
> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.
>
> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
> name of one of the world's largest mining companies.
>

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.
"Total Recall"
> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.
>

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?
>
> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.
>

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.
>
> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.
Triton

Gareth Owen

Jun 11, 2017, 4:45:43 AM6/11/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, the Beat poet, co-founded this bookstore
> in 1953 in San Francisco. Name it.

City Lights

> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.

Shakespeare & Co

> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?

New York

> 4. Still owned by the family that founded it in 1973, Elliott Bay
> Book Company is located in this city and is named after a body
> of water the municipality encircles. Name the city.

Vancouver, Montreal

> 6. Although rumors have been rife over the past couple of years
> that Booked Up in Archer, Texas, was closing entirely, its
> website fiercely claims that isn't so. What famous writer of
> the novels "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" founded
> and still owns this bookstore, which first opened its doors in
> Washington, DC, in 1971?

Zane Grey

> 8. Mr. B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath, England, offers,
> besides a great selection of books and comfy chairs, what it
> calls bibliotherapy and reading spas. Strangely enough, it
> also features the name, Mr. B, of a seemingly nasty character
> in fiction who tries to seduce a young woman in his employ.
> Hardly the stuff of relaxation. The 18th-century novel is by
> Samuel Richardson. What's the novel's title?

Pamela

> 9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
> theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
> original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
> reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
> It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
> where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
> about beef. What city is it located in?

Buenos Aires

> 10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
> housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
> veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
> is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
> Union was signed here.

Maastricht

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury
>
> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?

Baron, Viscount

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.

GT

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Botticelli

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.

Carravagio?

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness
>
> Name these geographical features.
>
> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.

Giants Causeway

> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
> name of one of the world's largest mining companies.

Rio Tinto

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.

Total Recall

> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.

Red Planet

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Titan?

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Ganymede, Europa

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Titan, Ganymede

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 11, 2017, 5:09:37 AM6/11/17
In article <Y4OdnV3Y6_Gg_KbE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury
>
> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?
Grand Marquis

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.
Cougar

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.
Botticelli
Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.
Io

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.
Uranus

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.
Poseidon

Calvin

Jun 11, 2017, 6:20:28 PM6/11/17
Pamela, Clarissa

> 9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
> theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
> original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
> reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
> It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
> where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
> about beef. What city is it located in?
>
> 10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
> housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
> veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
> is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
> Union was signed here.

Maastricht

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury
>
> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?

Neon, Krypton

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.
>

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Botticelli

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.

Titian

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness
>
> Name these geographical features.
>
> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.

Giant's Causeway

> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
> name of one of the world's largest mining companies.

Rio Tinto?

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.

Total Recall

> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.
>

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Callisto, Europa

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Uranus, Pluto

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Jun 11, 2017, 6:36:17 PM6/11/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Y4OdnV3Y6_Gg_KbEnZ2dnUU7-
V_N...@giganews.com:

Seattle; Portland
Marquis

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.
>

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Botticelli
Titan

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Callisto

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.
>
> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon

Pete Gayde

Bruce

Jun 12, 2017, 9:39:58 AM6/12/17
On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 22:02:21 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores

Nope

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round
>
> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury
>
> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?
>
> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the second-longest
> production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002. Name the
> model.

Cougar

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art
>
> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was painted
> circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned by the Medici
> family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging from the sea as an
> adult woman. Name the artist.
>
> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with Venus and
> Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known for his
> portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt. Name this
> artist.
>

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness
>
> Name these geographical features.
>
> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea. Its
> name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.

The Giants Causeway

> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the name of
> one of the world's largest mining companies.
>

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies
>
> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a Martian
> warrior. Name the film.
>
> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow Mars
> explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.
>

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons
>
> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or craters.
> Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the mother of King
> Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Callisto

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth
>
> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.
>
> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseiden

Mark Brader

Jun 13, 2017, 12:27:48 AM6/13/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and, if there are no errors, the winner is DAN BLUM --
by a margin of 1 point! No wasted effort on his part, eh? Anyway,
congratulations, Dan!

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Famous Bookstores

> Originally called Cadabra (not to be confused with "Cadaver"!),
> Amazon came into existence in 1994 to sell books. Now it sells just
> about everything and books bring in a mere 7% of its total revenue.
> In any case, every month there seem to be fewer and fewer actual
> bookstores. But here are some quite excellent ones, some even
> famous, and most of which have weathered the online storms.

> 1. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, the Beat poet, co-founded this bookstore
> in 1953 in San Francisco. Name it.

City Lights. 4 for Jason and Gareth.

> 2. This bookstore in Paris published the first complete edition
> of James Joyce's "Ulysses" in 1922. There is a bookstore by
> the same name in Paris now, but it's not the original one.
> Name the bookstore.

Shakespeare & Co. 4 for Joshua and Gareth. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Founded in 1971, Powell's headquarters store claims to be
> the world's largest new and used bookstore, and that's certainly
> creditable given that it takes up a whole city block and
> occupies 1.6 acres of retail floor space on several floors.
> In what city is Powell's located?

Portland, Oregon. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Joshua and Pete.

> 4. Still owned by the family that founded it in 1973, Elliott Bay
> Book Company is located in this city and is named after a body
> of water the municipality encircles. Name the city.

Seattle. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Founded in 1893 and once touted as the oldest continuously
> operating bookstore in Canada, this Toronto book emporium
> closed its doors for good in 1999. Its former building just
> north of Bloor St. on Yonge is now a Starbucks. Name the
> legendary bookstore.

Albert Britnell Book Shop. "Britnell" was sufficient.

> 6. Although rumors have been rife over the past couple of years
> that Booked Up in Archer, Texas, was closing entirely, its
> website fiercely claims that isn't so. What famous writer of
> the novels "Lonesome Dove" and "The Last Picture Show" founded
> and still owns this bookstore, which first opened its doors in
> Washington, DC, in 1971?

Larry McMurtry. 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 7. If you love books, especially used or rare ones, a visit to
> this Lower Manhattan shop is mandatory. It proudly claims
> to have 18 miles of books, and was founded in 1927. It was
> once located on Book Row on 4th Av., home of 48 bookstores,
> all vanished except this one, currently located at 12th St.
> and Broadway. Name this store.

The Strand. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. Mr. B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath, England, offers,
> besides a great selection of books and comfy chairs, what it
> calls bibliotherapy and reading spas. Strangely enough, it
> also features the name, Mr. B, of a seemingly nasty character
> in fiction who tries to seduce a young woman in his employ.
> Hardly the stuff of relaxation. The 18th-century novel is by
> Samuel Richardson. What's the novel's title?

"Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded". "Pamela" was sufficient. 4 for
Dan Blum, Joshua, and Gareth. 3 for Calvin.

> 9. El Ateneo is a bookstore housed in a majestic early 20th-century
> theatre with an impressive, very high painted ceiling, the
> original theatre curtain, theatre boxes that now serve as tiny
> reading rooms, and a stage that features readings and a cafe.
> It's living proof that the residents of the Latin American city
> where it's located perhaps care as much about books as they do
> about beef. What city is it located in?

Buenos Aires. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Gareth.

> 10. The Dutch bookstore Boekhandel Selexyx Dominicanen is, yes,
> housed in a converted 13th-century Dominican church. It's a
> veritable temple devoted to the worship of books. What city
> is it located in? Hint: The treaty that created the European
> Union was signed here.

Maastricht. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
and Calvin.

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Planetary Challenge Round

> * A. Miscellaneous: Gonna Buy Me a Mercury

> A1. The final Mercury automobile rolled off the line in January
> 2011. Which noble model, on the market since 1975 and the
> bestselling Mercury of the 2000s, holds this distinction?

Grand Marquis. Both words were required. 4 for Dan Tilque and Marc.

> A2. This muscle car, a slightly restyled version of the Ford
> Mustang, was in production from 1967 to 1997, the
> second-longest production run in Mercury's history.
> It returned to the market briefly between 1999 and 2002.
> Name the model.

Cougar. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Bruce.

> * B. Arts: Venus in Art

> B1. This Italian Renaissance artist's painting The Birth of
> Venus hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence. It was
> painted circa 1480 and is thought to have been commissioned
> by the Medici family. It depicts the goddess Venus emerging
> from the sea as an adult woman. Name the artist.

Sandro Botticelli. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Marc, Calvin, and Pete.

> B2. This prolific 16th-century Italian artist painted many
> depictions of Venus in works such as Venus of Urbino,
> The Sleeping Venus, Worship of Venus, and Allegory with
> Venus and Cupid. Of the Venetian school, he is also known
> for his portraiture, which has been compared to Rembrandt.
> Name this artist.

Titian(o Vecellio). 4 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> * C. Geography: Earth's Otherworldliness

> Name these geographical features.

> C1. Northern Ireland's most famous landmark, this promontory
> of tightly packed hexagonal basalt rocks juts into the sea.
> Its name is derived from the legend of Finn MacCool.
> Very otherworldly.

Giant's Causeway. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Gareth, Calvin,
and Bruce. This is just part of it:

http://www.titanicwalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/giants-causeway_2626379b.jpg

A version of this question came up -- again in the challenge round --
in *tonight's* Canadian Inquisition game. And then when I got home
and watched the same day's "Jeopardy"!, it turned out that they *also*
had a question about columnar basalt on a coast in the British Isles!
They showed this cliff on the Isle of Skye:

http://photos.smugmug.com/Europe/Scotland/i-RvS5Xmm/0/XL/skye-kilt-rock-waterfall-XL.jpg

and asked what kind of rock it was, and none of the players knew.

> C2. This river in southeastern Spain has flowed red since mining
> began in the area about 5,000 years ago. It is also the
> name of one of the world's largest mining companies.

Rio Tinto. 4 for Gareth and Calvin.

> * D. Entertainment: Mars in Movies

> D1. This 1990 Philip-K.-Dick-inspired classic stars Arnold
> Schwarzenegger as a man who gets memory implants and begins
> struggling with uncertain realities that include being a
> Martian warrior. Name the film.

"Total Recall". 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason,
Gareth, and Calvin.

> D2. This 2000 Brian De Palma film stars Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise,
> and Connie Robins as astronauts who set out to rescue fellow
> Mars explorer Don Cheadle. Name the film.

"Mission to Mars". 4 for Joshua.

> * E. Science: Jupiter's Moons

> E1. What is the name of Jupiter's largest moon, whose diameter
> is more than that of the planet Mercury?

Ganymede. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Calvin,
and Bruce. 2 for Peter.

> E2. This moon of Jupiter has the smoothest surface of any known
> solid object in the solar system, lacking mountains or
> craters. Discovered by Galileo, it was named after the
> mother of King Minos of Crete and lover of Zeus. Name it.

Europa. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 2 for Gareth and Calvin.

> * F. History: Neptune in Myth

> F1. Name either of Neptune's mythical brothers, both of whom
> also have heavenly bodies named after them.

Jupiter, Pluto. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Calvin.

> F2. Name Neptune's counterpart in Greek mythology.

Poseidon. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Marc,
Calvin, Pete, and Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can His Sci Lit Ent Geo Cha FIVE
Dan Blum 0 28 32 12 24 23 36 143
Joshua Kreitzer 0 19 24 28 36 26 28 142
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 24 16 24 0 20 108
Bruce Bowler -- -- 23 16 40 0 16 95
Gareth Owen 0 13 20 20 -- 20 22 95
Dan Tilque 4 12 20 16 -- 12 28 88
"Calvin" -- -- 15 16 -- 7 32 70
Pete Gayde 6 8 19 8 16 2 8 59
Erland Sommarskog 0 11 26 0 -- 16 4 57
Peter Smyth 0 8 24 8 -- 0 14 54
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 0 16 12 8 4 44

--
Mark Brader | "No, I'm disagreeing with you. That doesn't mean I'm not
m...@vex.net | listening to you or understanding what you're saying:

Dan Blum

Jun 13, 2017, 9:40:44 AM6/13/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> Game 4 is over and, if there are no errors, the winner is DAN BLUM --
> by a margin of 1 point! No wasted effort on his part, eh? Anyway,
> congratulations, Dan!

Thanks. You were perhaps overly generous on Shakespeare & Company
(which I really should have known - I have been to the current shop),
but I'm not complaining.