MSBKO5 Round 1

Mark Brader

Feb 11, 2016, 2:21:26 AM2/11/16
Here is another knockout contest, as originated in 2012 by the person
posting as "Calvin". This one is on the theme of dates in history.

For Round 1, I'll accept entries for 6 days from the moment
of posting (that is, until about 2 am EDT on Wednesday morning,
February 17), *OR* until there is a period of 36 hours without
a new entry. *WHICHEVER COMES FIRST*! After the first round,
this becomes a closed contest -- only those who have survived the
earlier rounds may continue to enter.

For the later rounds you will have a maximum of 4 days to enter,
though I would prefer, and in practice expect, a faster pace.

For every question I will describe an event in history and you
must give the year, month, and day when it happened. Answers in
the ISO standard numerical style, like 2016-02-17, are preferred.

If everyone gives the exact correct answer on any question,
they all survive, but I don't expect that to happen very much.
Otherwise, the person whose answer is farthest from the correct date
is eliminated (in case of a tie for farthest, among those entrants
the last to enter is eliminated), and this continues until there
is a single winner.

Please post your answers in the thread as a followup to the question
posting; but if you have technical difficulties, I will also accept
answers by email.

Have fun and let's have lots of entries so that there are lots
of rounds.

1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?

Remember, give year-month-day.
--
Mark Brader | this take
Toronto | "If is shall really to
| -- Piglet ("Winnie-the-Pooh", A.A. Milne)

Pete

Feb 11, 2016, 2:31:09 AM2/11/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:D86dnR7HctvoqyHLnZ2dnUU7-
eOd...@giganews.com:

> Have fun and let's have lots of entries so that there are lots
> of rounds.
>

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.

1215-07-01

Pete

Dan Tilque

Feb 11, 2016, 3:14:48 AM2/11/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?

1215-06-15

--
Dan Tilque

ArenEss

Feb 11, 2016, 7:09:06 AM2/11/16
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 01:21:25 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
>Remember, give year-month-day.

1215-6-1

ArenEss

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 11, 2016, 8:50:37 AM2/11/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.

1215-03-15

bbowler

Feb 11, 2016, 9:38:20 AM2/11/16
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 01:21:25 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits on
> the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.

1215-June-15

Dan Blum

Feb 11, 2016, 9:38:27 AM2/11/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?

1215-07-01

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 11, 2016, 9:52:48 AM2/11/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:D86dnR7HctvoqyHLnZ2dnUU7-
eOd...@giganews.com:

1215-06-20

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Björn Lundin

Feb 11, 2016, 11:40:39 AM2/11/16
On 2016-02-11 08:21, Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.

Gaah .

1255-05-16

Björn

Joe

Feb 11, 2016, 12:52:55 PM2/11/16
On 2016-02-11 07:21:25 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.

1215-06-30

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Peter Smyth

Feb 11, 2016, 2:36:53 PM2/11/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?

1215-09-18

Peter Smyth

swp

Feb 11, 2016, 9:01:35 PM2/11/16
1215-06-15

swp

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 12, 2016, 1:06:01 AM2/12/16
In article <D86dnR7HctvoqyHL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.
1215-10-06

Calvin

Feb 12, 2016, 4:34:23 AM2/12/16
On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 5:21:26 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Here is another knockout contest, as originated in 2012 by the person
> posting as "Calvin". This one is on the theme of dates in history.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?
>
> Remember, give year-month-day.

1215-07-01

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 13, 2016, 5:08:47 PM2/13/16
Mark Brader:
> Here is another knockout contest, as originated in 2012 by the person
> posting as "Calvin". This one is on the theme of dates in history.
>
> For Round 1, I'll accept entries for 6 days from the moment
> of posting (that is, until about 2 am EDT on Wednesday morning,
> February 17), *OR* until there is a period of 36 hours without
> a new entry. *WHICHEVER COMES FIRST*! After the first round,
> this becomes a closed contest -- only those who have survived the
> earlier rounds may continue to enter.

Okay, we've had 13 entries and then a 36-hour gap, so Round 1 is over.

> For the later rounds you will have a maximum of 4 days to enter,
> though I would prefer, and in practice expect, a faster pace.
>
> For every question I will describe an event in history and you
> must give the year, month, and day when it happened. Answers in
> the ISO standard numerical style, like 2016-02-17, are preferred.

11 out of 13 entrants were kind enough to comply with this.
Bruce and "ArenEss", you know who you are. :-)

> 1. The Magna Carta was a historic agreement in England between the
> monarch and the barons, which for the first time put formal limits
> on the power of the monarch. When was it signed?

Erland Sommarskog 1215-03-15 -92 days
"ArenEss" 1215-06-01 -14

** CORRECT ** 1215-06-15
Stephen Perry 1215-06-15
Bruce Bowler 1215-06-15
Dan Tilque 1215-06-15

Joshua Kreitzer 1215-06-20 +5
"Joe" 1215-06-30 +15
Dan Blum 1215-07-01 +16
"Calvin" 1215-07-01 +16
Pete Gayde 1215-07-01 +16
Peter Smyth 1215-09-18 +95
Marc Dashevsky 1215-10-06 +113
Björn Lundin 1255-05-16 +14,580

Björn Lundin is eliminated. (Gaah indeed.)

By the way, it should have been obvious in this case that I was
asking for a date in the Julian calendar. In general you can assume
that either the Julian or the Gregorian calendar is applicable
for this contest, whichever one was in use at the relevant place
on the relevant date.

By the way, before starting the contest I drafted a list of
14 questions and then randomized the order, so the expectation
is that there will be 11 more rounds and eventually we'll have
used the first 12 questions from the randomized list. As most
of us here are from the English-speaking world, about half of
the original list of questions relate to events in either England
or the US; each of the other ones relates to a different country.

Round 2 will follow immediately.
--
Mark Brader "I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Toronto Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it

Mark Brader

Feb 13, 2016, 5:11:09 PM2/13/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
"Calvin", and "Joe".

Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
everyone has posted an entry.

2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Operating systems are too important
m...@vex.net | to be 'visionary'." --Linus Torvalds

Dan Tilque

Feb 13, 2016, 5:36:52 PM2/13/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-10-11

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 13, 2016, 5:45:54 PM2/13/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-09-09

Mark Brader

Feb 13, 2016, 6:33:30 PM2/13/16
Mark Brader:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".

Uh, I meant everyone on that list except Björn Lundin. Sorry, folks --
and particularly Björn.
--
Mark Brader | "...it is happening a lot to me recently. almost
Toronto | as if my beliefs are no longer strong enough

swp

Feb 13, 2016, 8:24:09 PM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 5:11:09 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1921-11-11

swp

swp

Feb 13, 2016, 8:25:17 PM2/13/16
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 6:33:30 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader | "...it is happening a lot to me recently. almost
> Toronto | as if my beliefs are no longer strong enough
> m...@vex.net | to counter reality." --Stephen Perry

I resemble that remark...

swp

ArenEss

Feb 13, 2016, 9:02:35 PM2/13/16
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:11:09 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
>Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
>Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
>"Calvin", and "Joe".
>
>Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
>everyone has posted an entry.
>
>2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1918-11-11

ArenEss

Dan Blum

Feb 14, 2016, 12:12:53 AM2/14/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-02-15

Joe

Feb 14, 2016, 1:46:36 AM2/14/16
On 2016-02-13 22:11:09 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-04-21

Peter Smyth

Feb 14, 2016, 4:27:03 AM2/14/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc
> Dashevsky, Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry,
> Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting
> as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1920-04-01

Peter Smyth

Pete

Feb 14, 2016, 4:28:03 PM2/14/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:2fGdnZc5taxgNCLLnZ2dnUU7-
T2d...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-06-01

Pete

Calvin

Feb 14, 2016, 7:15:28 PM2/14/16
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 8:11:09 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-05-05

Could have been years later for all I know.

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 15, 2016, 12:45:11 AM2/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:2fGdnZc5taxgNCLLnZ2dnUU7-
T2d...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1919-06-01

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 16, 2016, 7:42:41 AM2/16/16
In article <2fGdnZc5taxgNCLL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

November 11, 1918

bbowler

Feb 16, 2016, 10:28:19 AM2/16/16
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:11:09 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Marc Dashevsky,
> Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, Björn Lundin, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss",
> "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 2 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the two
> countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications of a
> treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

1922-06-15

Mark Brader

Feb 16, 2016, 12:15:26 PM2/16/16
Mark Brader:
> 2. On 1917-04-06 the United States declared war on Germany and
> thus entered World War I. When was the state of war between the
> two countries officially ended, as they exchanged ratifications
> of a treaty between them "restoring friendly relations"?

Marc Dashevsky 1918-11-11 -1,096 days
"ArenEss" 1918-11-11 -1,096
Dan Blum 1919-02-15 -1,000
"Joe" 1919-04-21 -935
"Calvin" 1919-05-05 -921
Joshua Kreitzer 1919-06-01 -894
Pete Gayde 1919-06-01 -894
Erland Sommarskog 1919-09-09 -794
Dan Tilque 1919-10-11 -762
Peter Smyth 1920-04-01 -589

** CORRECT ** 1921-11-11
Stephen Perry 1921-11-11

Bruce Bowler 1922-06-15 +216

It was exactly 3 years after the armistice that ended the actual
fighting.

President Wilson was heavily involved in the 5 months of negotiations
leading to the signing of the Versailles Treaty on 1919-06-28 --
negotiations, incidentally, that mostly did not involve the Germans
but took place between the major victorious powers as they decided
what terms to impose on their opponents. But the treaty would not
take effect in relation to the US until it was ratified by the Senate
-- and, because it incorporated Wilson's plan for a League of Nations
that the US would join, they rejected it. So a separate treaty had
to be negotiated between the US and Germany, which required a further
2+ years. Which didn't bother the US government, because in the
meantime they could happily continue seizing German-owned assets in
the US.

One of these assets, incidentally, was the US subsidiary of the
Bayer company, which owned the US and Canadian rights to the trade
names "Bayer" and "Aspirin". There is a myth that those rights
were lost to Bayer in the Versailles treaty, but as you see from
the foregoing, that is exactly backwards. The trade name "Aspirin"
was later declared generic in both the UK and the US, as well as a
number of other countries, but this was a completely separate matter
from the treaties, and was for the usual reason that its owners had
failed to retain proper control of it.

Of the two entrants who were wrong by the greatest amount, Marc
Dashevsky posted last and is eliminated.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "C takes the point of view that the programmer
m...@vex.net | is always right" -- Michael DeCorte

Mark Brader

Feb 16, 2016, 12:16:56 PM2/16/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".

Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
everyone has posted an entry.

3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that has not changed much in recent years
m...@vex.net | is gravity." --David D. Dunlap, N.Y. Times

Joe

Feb 16, 2016, 12:30:09 PM2/16/16
On 2016-02-16 17:16:55 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1845-12-25

Peter Smyth

Feb 16, 2016, 1:21:51 PM2/16/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

Absolutely no idea, could easily be a few hundred years out.

1651-12-25

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Feb 16, 2016, 1:46:37 PM2/16/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1707-04-07

bbowler

Feb 16, 2016, 3:40:34 PM2/16/16
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:16:55 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt over
> much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond Portugal.
> The quake struck on a major religious holiday and destroyed most of
> the city's major churches. When?

1780-11-01

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 16, 2016, 4:43:37 PM2/16/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1654-08-24

Calvin

Feb 16, 2016, 5:39:14 PM2/16/16
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 3:16:56 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1777-07-07

cheers,
calvin

ArenEss

Feb 16, 2016, 5:50:18 PM2/16/16
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:16:55 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
>Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
>Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
>Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
>everyone has posted an entry.
>
>3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1760-12-25

ArenEss

Dan Tilque

Feb 16, 2016, 8:09:21 PM2/16/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1799-04-09

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 16, 2016, 10:10:23 PM2/16/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:KridnTPVOb4axF7LnZ2dnUU7-
cOd...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1582-12-25

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete

Feb 17, 2016, 8:13:20 PM2/17/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:KridnTPVOb4axF7LnZ2dnUU7-
cOd...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 3 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

1890-04-01

Pete

swp

Feb 17, 2016, 9:04:04 PM2/17/16
1755-11-01 (aka all saints day, thanks for the clue)

I think this earthquake was the source of modern seismology.

swp

Mark Brader

Feb 17, 2016, 11:30:13 PM2/17/16
Mark Brader:
> 3. One of the largest earthquakes on record devastated the city of
> Lisbon, killed people in the tens of thousands, and was felt
> over much of Europe, with tsunami damage extending far beyond
> Portugal. The quake struck on a major religious holiday and
> destroyed most of the city's major churches. When?

Guesses ranged quite widely:

Joshua Kreitzer 1582-12-25 -63,133 days
Peter Smyth 1651-12-25 -37,931
Erland Sommarskog 1654-08-24 -36,958
Dan Blum 1707-04-07 -17,740

** CORRECT ** 1755-11-01
Stephen Perry 1755-11-01

ArenEss 1760-12-25 +1,881
Calvin 1777-07-07 +7,919
Bruce Bowler 1780-11-01 +9,132
Dan Tilque 1799-04-09 +15,865
Joe 1845-12-25 +32,926
Pete Gayde 1890-04-01 +49,094

It was All Souls Day. Joshua Kreitzer is eliminated.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If each hand had an extra digit, we'd probably be
m...@vex.net | planning for a 144-year flood." --Mark Monmonier

Mark Brader

Feb 17, 2016, 11:31:22 PM2/17/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".

Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
everyone has posted an entry.

4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I'm pleased to have my own pothole number..."
m...@vex.net | --Claudia Bloom

Dan Blum

Feb 17, 2016, 11:34:39 PM2/17/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1525-06-15

Pete

Feb 18, 2016, 12:41:50 AM2/18/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:wd2dnce5MNOH1FjLnZ2dnUU7-
ROd...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1610-05-01

Pete

Dan Tilque

Feb 18, 2016, 1:11:28 AM2/18/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1519-09-02

--
Dan Tilque

Joe

Feb 18, 2016, 1:24:04 AM2/18/16
On 2016-02-18 04:31:22 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1551-01-15

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 18, 2016, 7:43:51 AM2/18/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1522-10-10

ArenEss

Feb 18, 2016, 8:53:17 AM2/18/16
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:31:22 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
>Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
>and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
>Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
>everyone has posted an entry.
>
>4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1520-06-01

ArenEss

Peter Smyth

Feb 18, 2016, 1:36:29 PM2/18/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1565-03-13

Peter Smyth

swp

Feb 18, 2016, 9:07:31 PM2/18/16
1521-06-30

swp

Calvin

Feb 18, 2016, 10:27:11 PM2/18/16
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 2:31:22 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1555-05-05

cheers,
calvin

bbowler

Feb 19, 2016, 9:46:01 AM2/19/16
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:31:22 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the
> entrants posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 4 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

1560-07-01

Mark Brader

Feb 19, 2016, 4:55:58 PM2/19/16
Mark Brader:
> 4. When did the Aztec Empire finally fall to the forces of Cortes?

Dan Tilque 1519-09-02 -711 days
ArenEss 1520-06-01 -438
Stephen Perry 1521-06-30 -44

** CORRECT ** 1521-08-13

Erland Sommarskog 1522-10-10 +423
Dan Blum 1525-06-15 +1,402
Joe 1551-01-15 +10,747
Calvin 1555-05-05 +12,318
Bruce Bowler 1560-07-01 +14,202
Peter Smyth 1565-03-13 +15,918
Pete Gayde 1610-05-01 +32,403

It took a bit over 2 years from their first contact.

Pete Gayde is eliminated.
--
Mark Brader | "Courtly love-poetry may first have been written
Toronto | during long periods of abstinence on the Crusades,
| northern Europe without some help from the chimney."
| -- James Burke

Mark Brader

Feb 19, 2016, 4:57:16 PM2/19/16
Sorry, forgot to change the subject line. Reposting...

Mark Brader

Feb 19, 2016, 4:59:23 PM2/19/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".

Round 5 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
everyone has posted an entry.

5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
order, these included:

* Distinct Canadian citizenship established
* Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
* King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
the UK (although held by the same person)
* Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
* Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
* Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
* Canadian federal government established
* Distinct Canadian money introduced

When was the process completed as the last of these changes
became official?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"sci fi: the plural of scum fum" -- Spider Robinson

Dan Tilque

Feb 19, 2016, 5:51:46 PM2/19/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 5 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

1985-07-01

PS: you forgot to change the round number in the subject line.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 19, 2016, 5:57:59 PM2/19/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

1910-01-01

Mark Brader

Feb 19, 2016, 6:07:41 PM2/19/16
Reposting with the correct round number. Answers posted in response
to the first posting will be accepted.

ArenEss

Feb 19, 2016, 6:13:51 PM2/19/16
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:59:23 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
>Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
>posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
>Round 5 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
>everyone has posted an entry.
>
>5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

Since the 150 year anniversary is next year (2017), this means 1867
would be the year. So I will guess:

1867-06-01

ArenEss
P.S. - You forgot to change the "SUBJECT LINE" for this round!

Calvin

Feb 19, 2016, 6:16:25 PM2/19/16
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 7:59:23 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

1977-07-07

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Feb 19, 2016, 7:09:29 PM2/19/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:

> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced

1871-10-01

Peter Smyth

Feb 20, 2016, 5:49:28 AM2/20/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> Reposting with the correct round number. Answers posted in response
> to the first posting will be accepted.
>
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 5 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

1984-06-01

Peter Smyth

Joe

Feb 20, 2016, 6:18:25 AM2/20/16
On 2016-02-19 23:07:40 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> Reposting with the correct round number. Answers posted in response
> to the first posting will be accepted.
>
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 5 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

1887-01-01

swp

Feb 20, 2016, 4:02:40 PM2/20/16
1982-04-17 ("the canada act")

I remember watching the ceremony with queen elizabeth ii in ottawa on german television with some fascination because I had learned about the westminster act of 1931 only a few months before that and thought of canada as a sovereign nation already. I'm going to look at the other answers after this to see if anyone else picked the 1931 date.

swp

bbowler

Feb 22, 2016, 1:42:07 PM2/22/16
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 17:07:40 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> Reposting with the correct round number. Answers posted in response to
> the first posting will be accepted.
>
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen Perry,
> Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as
> "ArenEss", "Calvin", and "Joe".
>
> Round 5 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random order,
> these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established * Power to amend Canada's
> constitution transferred to Canada * King/Queen of Canada made a
> distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions *
> Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed *
> Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada *
> Canadian federal government established * Distinct Canadian money
> introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes became
> official?

1960-01-01

Mark Brader

Feb 22, 2016, 5:31:24 PM2/22/16
Mark Brader:
> 5. Canada's transition from a British dependency to an independent
> country involved many separate stages. Listed here in random
> order, these included:
>
> * Distinct Canadian citizenship established
> * Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred to Canada
> * King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title from that of
> the UK (although held by the same person)
> * Canada no longer obligated to support British military actions
> * Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer allowed
> * Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable to Canada
> * Canadian federal government established
> * Distinct Canadian money introduced
>
> When was the process completed as the last of these changes
> became official?

ArenEss 1867-06-01 -41,958 days
Dan Blum 1871-10-01 -40,375
Joe 1887-01-01 -34,804
Erland Sommarskog 1910-01-01 -26,404
Bruce Bowler 1960-01-01 -8,142
Calvin 1977-07-07 -1,745

** CORRECT ** 1982-04-17
Stephen Perry 1982-04-17

Peter Smyth 1984-06-01 +776
Dan Tilque 1985-07-01 +1,171

The entrant posting as "ArenEss" is eliminated.

Here's the actual sequence of events:

* 1841 - Distinct Canadian money introduced in the original colony
(or "province") of Canada, which later became Ontario and Quebec.
* 1867-07-01 - Canadian federal government established. This event,
called "Confederation", is the one now commemorated as the founding
of Canada.
* 1922-09-18 - Canada no longer obligated to support British military
actions. More precisely, Canada asserted this right on this date
and Britain, as far as I know, simply decided not to challenge it.
* 1931-12-11 - Ordinary legislation in Britain no longer applicable
to Canada. This date is when the change became official with the
Statute of Westminster, but it had been agreed to in principle
several years before.
* 1933 - Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer
allowed in criminal cases
* 1947-01-01 - Distinct Canadian citizenship established
* 1949 - Appeals of Canadian court decisions to Britain no longer
allowed in civil cases
* Circa 1952 - King/Queen of Canada made a distinct title
* 1982-04-17 - Power to amend Canada's constitution transferred
to Canada

Some of these changes applied simultaneously to other former British
colonies such as New Zealand.

For Canada, de facto independence came in the 1920s, and the later
changes were really just cleanups. The principal reason why the last
one took until 1982 was the lack of an agreement between the federal
and provincial governments as to what the amending process should be.
Eventually Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau brokered a deal that all but
one province formally agreed to, and that was considered sufficient.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't be evil."
m...@vex.net -- corporate policy, Google Inc.

Mark Brader

Feb 22, 2016, 5:32:42 PM2/22/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
posting as "Calvin" and "Joe".

Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
everyone has posted an entry.

6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
admitting a 14th one?

--
Mark Brader | Plan B is:
Toronto | "Try Plan A again; if this fails, try Plan B".

Dan Tilque

Feb 22, 2016, 7:39:48 PM2/22/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "Calvin" and "Joe".
>
> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1790-10-03

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Feb 22, 2016, 9:36:23 PM2/22/16
1791-03-19 (vermont)

swp

Dan Blum

Feb 22, 2016, 11:10:21 PM2/22/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1791-06-30

Calvin

Feb 22, 2016, 11:35:03 PM2/22/16
On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:32:42 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "Calvin" and "Joe".
>
> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1784-08-04

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 23, 2016, 3:25:31 AM2/23/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1783-01-01

bbowler

Feb 23, 2016, 9:11:54 AM2/23/16
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:32:40 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen Perry,
> Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants posting as
> "Calvin" and "Joe".
>
> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1791-07-04

Joe

Feb 23, 2016, 12:48:01 PM2/23/16
On 2016-02-22 22:32:40 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "Calvin" and "Joe".
>
> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1843-01-07

Peter Smyth

Feb 23, 2016, 1:26:02 PM2/23/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
> posting as "Calvin" and "Joe".
>
> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

1792-04-01

Peter Smyth

Joe

Feb 23, 2016, 2:08:17 PM2/23/16
On 2016-02-23 17:47:58 +0000, Joe said:

> On 2016-02-22 22:32:40 +0000, Mark Brader said:
>
>> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
>> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrants
>> posting as "Calvin" and "Joe".
>>
>> Round 6 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
>> everyone has posted an entry.
>>
>> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
>> admitting a 14th one?
>
> 1843-01-07

And it's goodnight from him. Surprised I got this far.

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2016, 8:25:33 PM2/23/16
Mark Brader:
> 6. When did the US first expand beyond its 13 original states by
> admitting a 14th one?

Erland Sommarskog 1783-01-01 -2,984 days
Calvin 1784-08-04 -2,403
Dan Tilque 1790-10-03 -152

** CORRECT ** 1791-03-04

Stephen Perry 1791-03-19 +15
Dan Blum 1791-06-30 +118
Bruce Bowler 1791-07-04 +122
Peter Smyth 1792-04-01 +394
Joe 1843-01-07 +18,936

That was Vermont. It was within the geographical area ceded by
Britain to the US in the 1783 Treaty of Paris, but was claimed by
two different states and was de facto independent.

The entrant posting as "Joe" is eliminated.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This one isn't close. It's not even close to
m...@vex.net | being close." --Adam Beneschan

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2016, 8:26:37 PM2/23/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant
posting as "Calvin".

Round 7 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
everyone has posted an entry.

7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'd opt for Oz, myself."
m...@vex.net --Buck Henry

Dan Blum

Feb 23, 2016, 10:09:48 PM2/23/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
> tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

1883-05-15

swp

Feb 23, 2016, 10:45:40 PM2/23/16
1883-08-26 (I remember from an episode of Doctor Who)

swp

Calvin

Feb 23, 2016, 10:51:19 PM2/23/16
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 11:26:37 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant
> posting as "Calvin".
>
> Round 7 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
> tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

1880-08-08

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 24, 2016, 3:17:50 AM2/24/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Round 7 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
> tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

1816-02-02

Dan Tilque

Feb 24, 2016, 5:01:09 AM2/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant
> posting as "Calvin".
>
> Round 7 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
> tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

1881-07-28

--
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Feb 24, 2016, 9:22:35 AM2/24/16
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:26:36 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen Perry,
> Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
> "Calvin".
>
> Round 7 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed tens
> of thousands of people on nearby islands?

1885-07-01

Peter Smyth

Feb 24, 2016, 1:02:50 PM2/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant
> posting as "Calvin".
>
> Round 7 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
> tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

1795-06-01

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Feb 24, 2016, 1:50:14 PM2/24/16
Mark Brader:
> 7. When was the massive volcanic explosion that destroyed almost
> the whole island of Krakatoa and produced tsunamis that killed
> tens of thousands of people on nearby islands?

Peter Smyth 1795-06-01 -32,228 days
Erland Sommarskog 1816-02-02 -24,678
Calvin 1880-08-08 -1,114
Dan Tilque 1881-07-28 -760
Dan Blum 1883-05-15 -104
Stephen Perry 1883-08-26 -1

** CORRECT ** 1883-08-27

Bruce Bowler 1885-07-01 +674

Peter Smyth is eliminated.

As far as I know the volcanic eruption at Krakatoa in 1883 was the
most deadly in recorded history -- in terms of direct consequences.
However, back in April 1815, also in what is now Indonesia, a volcano
called Tambora erupted so much material into the atmosphere that
1816 became known in the Northern Hemisphere as the "Year Without a
Summer". Crop failures were widespread, and in an era of subsistence
farming and poor transportation systems, a worldwide scale it was a
much more deadly disaster. And it's also probably the one Erland
was thinking of, so risking -- but, as it turns out, avoiding --
elimination for himself.

--
Mark Brader "Men are animals."
Toronto "What are women? Plants, birds, fish?"

Mark Brader

Feb 24, 2016, 1:51:35 PM2/24/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
Perry, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
"Calvin".

Round 8 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or
until everyone has posted an entry.

8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships
to Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to
Panama seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating
the Panama Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The Dopeler effect: dumb ideas sound smarter
m...@vex.net | when they come at you in a hurry."

bbowler

Feb 24, 2016, 2:08:21 PM2/24/16
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 12:51:35 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen Perry,
> Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
>
> Round 8 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or until
> everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
> the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
> would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
> government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships to
> Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to Panama
> seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating the Panama
> Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

1912-06-30

Dan Blum

Feb 24, 2016, 2:38:11 PM2/24/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
> the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
> would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
> government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships
> to Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to
> Panama seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating
> the Panama Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

1909-04-30

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 24, 2016, 3:17:39 PM2/24/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> And it's also probably the one Erland was thinking of, so risking --
> but, as it turns out, avoiding -- elimination for himself.

Yes. I never recall which of one is which, so I had to make a choice.
When I saw the other answers, I thought it was bye-bye, but miracles
do happen, apparently.

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 24, 2016, 3:18:06 PM2/24/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
> the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
> would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
> government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships
> to Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to
> Panama seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating
> the Panama Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

1901-09-09

Calvin

Feb 24, 2016, 6:30:03 PM2/24/16
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 4:51:35 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
> "Calvin".
>
> Round 8 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or
> until everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
> the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
> would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
> government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships
> to Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to
> Panama seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating
> the Panama Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

1904-04-04

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Feb 24, 2016, 8:35:50 PM2/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Stephen
> Perry, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
> "Calvin".
>
> Round 8 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or
> until everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
> the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
> would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
> government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships
> to Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to
> Panama seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating
> the Panama Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

1900-10-14

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Feb 24, 2016, 9:31:29 PM2/24/16
1903-11-03

swp, who was born in the canal zone

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2016, 12:28:57 AM2/25/16
Mark Brader:
> 8. After the failure of the French effort to build a canal across
> the Isthmus of Panama, the US government negotiated a treaty that
> would let them build and control such a canal, but the Colombian
> government did not ratify it. In response, the US sent warships
> to Panama so that the Colombian government would not object to
> Panama seceding and making the treaty on its own (thus creating
> the Panama Canal Zone). When did Panama declare independence?

Dan Tilque 1900-10-14 -1,115 days
Erland Sommarskog 1901-09-09 -785

** CORRECT ** 1903-11-03
Stephen Perry 1903-11-03

Calvin 1904-04-04 +153
Dan Blum 1909-04-30 +2,005
Bruce Bowler 1912-06-30 +3,162

Bruce Bowler is eliminated.

This question changed twice after it was originally drafted.
I first asked for the date the canal opened, but decided that that
might be too easy. (Also, it came up in an OQFTCI round from 2003
that I posted here in 2008, although I only gave the year then.)
Next I thought I'd make it the Suez Canal, but Calvin asked *that*
question in his first knockout, in 2010. So I finally went with
this question, although I did give the answer (at least the year)
in 2014 in a QFTCICR14 *question*. Little did I know that we
would have an entrant who was born in the Canal Zone!
--
Mark Brader | "Of course, the most important part of making the
Toronto | proposal something special for both of you is

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2016, 12:30:06 AM2/25/16
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Stephen Perry, Erland
Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".

Round 9 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or
until everyone has posted an entry.

9. When was the effective date of the most recent abdication
(or resignation, if you prefer) of a pope?

Dan Tilque

Feb 25, 2016, 2:11:08 AM2/25/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Stephen Perry, Erland
> Sommarskog, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
>
> Round 9 will be open for 4 days from the moment of posting, or
> until everyone has posted an entry.
>
> 9. When was the effective date of the most recent abdication
> (or resignation, if you prefer) of a pope?

2013-03-26

--
Dan Tilque
It is loading more messages.