Rotating Quiz #157

Dan Blum

Sep 21, 2014, 11:40:43 PM9/21/14
This is Rotating Quiz 157. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
September 28, 2014 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
winner gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This contest has a theme, but the theme is not a factor in
scoring. For questions where the answer is a person's name,
the last name by itself is worth 2 points and first and last
name together are worth 3 points. For other questions the score
is 3 points or nothing. All information given must be correct
for any points to be awarded.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
to some systems). He was the first African-American
on the US Davis Cup team.

2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
in the US back then.)

3. This 18th-century Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
was also an playwright, actor, and manager of Drury
Lane Theatre. His plays were often derided at the time
and are not well-thought of today; he is known mostly
for his autobiography and the fact that he is the chief
Dunce in Alexander Pope's "The Dunciad."

4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
(one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.

5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
and was also known for works such as The Dream of
Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
American graduation ceremonies.

6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
with that title.

7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
first places listed in the National Register of Historic
Places.

9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
he was elected president in the first free elections held
in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.

10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Sep 22, 2014, 12:28:00 AM9/22/14
Dan Blum:
> This contest has a theme...

Alliterative names (from #7 and 10).

> 1. This American tennis player...

Arthur Ashe.

> 5. This English composer...

Edward Elgar.

> 6. This American woman...

Fannie Farmer.

> 7. The Oscars are...

Golden Globes.

> 10. This author and activist...

Jane Jacobs.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Save our planet: it's the only one with chocolate"
m...@vex.net | --Bumper sticker

Chris F.A. Johnson

Sep 22, 2014, 3:31:27 AM9/22/14
On 2014-09-22, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 157. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> September 28, 2014 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe

> 2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
> Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
> attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
> for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
> in the US back then.)
>
> 3. This 18th-century Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
> was also an playwright, actor, and manager of Drury
> Lane Theatre. His plays were often derided at the time
> and are not well-thought of today; he is known mostly
> for his autobiography and the fact that he is the chief
> Dunce in Alexander Pope's "The Dunciad."

Cibber

> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.

Voltaire

> 5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
> Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
> and was also known for works such as The Dream of
> Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
> best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
> the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
> American graduation ceremonies.

Edward Elgar

> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
> with that title.
>
> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

Golden Globes

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.
>
> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.
>
> 10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

Jane Jacobs

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 22, 2014, 8:42:53 AM9/22/14
In article <lvo5nr$3s0$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.
Arthur Ashe

Peter Smyth

Sep 22, 2014, 4:30:36 PM9/22/14
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.
Arthur Ashe
> 2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
> Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
> attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
> for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
> in the US back then.)
Blues Brothers
> 3. This 18th-century Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
> was also an playwright, actor, and manager of Drury
> Lane Theatre. His plays were often derided at the time
> and are not well-thought of today; he is known mostly
> for his autobiography and the fact that he is the chief
> Dunce in Alexander Pope's "The Dunciad."
Charlie Chaplin
> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.
Donald Duck
> 5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
> Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
> and was also known for works such as The Dream of
> Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
> best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
> the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
> American graduation ceremonies.
Edward Elgar
> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
> with that title.
Fiona Fullerton
> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.
Golden Globes
> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.
Halfway House
> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.
Ioan Ionescu
> 10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.
Juliet Jones

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Sep 22, 2014, 5:16:18 PM9/22/14
On Monday, September 22, 2014 1:40:43 PM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 157. Entries must be posted by Sunday,

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
>
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
>
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
>
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe

> 2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
>
> Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
>
> attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
>
> for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
>
> in the US back then.)

You Can Call Me Al

> 3. This 18th-century Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
>
> was also an playwright, actor, and manager of Drury
>
> Lane Theatre. His plays were often derided at the time
>
> and are not well-thought of today; he is known mostly
>
> for his autobiography and the fact that he is the chief
>
> Dunce in Alexander Pope's "The Dunciad."
>

> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
>
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
>
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
>
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
>
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
>
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
>
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
>
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.
>

> 5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
>
> Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
>
> and was also known for works such as The Dream of
>
> Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
>
> best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
>
> the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
>
> American graduation ceremonies.

Edwin (?) Elgar

> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
>
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
>
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
>
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
>
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
>
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
>
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
>
> with that title.
>

> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
>
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
>
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
>
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

Golden Globes

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
>
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
>
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
>
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
>
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
>
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
>
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
>
> Places.
>

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
>
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
>
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
>
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.
>

> 10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
>
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
>
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
>
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
>
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
>
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

The theme is alliteration.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 22, 2014, 6:01:36 PM9/22/14
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe

> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.

Rosseau

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.

Ion Iliescu

swp

Sep 22, 2014, 10:09:12 PM9/22/14
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 11:40:43 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 157. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> September 28, 2014 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

arthur ashe

> 2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
> Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
> attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
> for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
> in the US back then.)

the boy in the bubble

> 3. This 18th-century Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
> was also an playwright, actor, and manager of Drury
> Lane Theatre. His plays were often derided at the time
> and are not well-thought of today; he is known mostly
> for his autobiography and the fact that he is the chief
> Dunce in Alexander Pope's "The Dunciad."

colley cibber??

> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.

d d

> 5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
> Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
> and was also known for works such as The Dream of
> Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
> best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
> the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
> American graduation ceremonies.

e e

> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
> with that title.

fannie farmer

> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

golden globes

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.

hull house

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.

i i

> 10. This author and activist wrote a number of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

jane jacobs

swp

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 22, 2014, 11:04:09 PM9/22/14
On 9/21/2014 11:40 PM, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 157. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> September 28, 2014 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
> winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
> in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
> below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> This contest has a theme, but the theme is not a factor in
> scoring. For questions where the answer is a person's name,
> the last name by itself is worth 2 points and first and last
> name together are worth 3 points. For other questions the score
> is 3 points or nothing. All information given must be correct
> for any points to be awarded.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
> the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
> as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
> tiebreaker will be posting order.
>

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe
Fannie Farmer

> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

Golden Globes

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.

Hull House

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.
>
> 10. This author and activist wrote a number of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

--Jeff

Rob Parker

Sep 25, 2014, 6:54:07 PM9/25/14
> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe

> 2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
> Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
> attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
> for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
> in the US back then.)

The Boy in the Bubble

> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.

Rousseau

> 5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
> Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
> and was also known for works such as The Dream of
> Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
> best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
> the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
> American graduation ceremonies.

Elgar

> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

The Emmys

Rob

Pete

Sep 27, 2014, 10:58:30 PM9/27/14
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) wrote in news:lvo5nr$3s0$1...@reader1.panix.com:

> This is Rotating Quiz 157. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> September 28, 2014 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
> winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
> in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
> below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> This contest has a theme, but the theme is not a factor in
> scoring. For questions where the answer is a person's name,
> the last name by itself is worth 2 points and first and last
> name together are worth 3 points. For other questions the score
> is 3 points or nothing. All information given must be correct
> for any points to be awarded.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
> the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
> as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
> tiebreaker will be posting order.
>

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe
Edward Elgar

> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
> with that title.

Frances Farmer

> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

Golden Globe

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.

Hull House

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.
>
> 10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

Pete

Dan Tilque

Sep 28, 2014, 3:48:23 AM9/28/14
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe
Emerson

> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
> with that title.
>
> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

Golden Globes

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.

Halfway House

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.

Iliescu

> 10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Sep 28, 2014, 11:32:55 PM9/28/14
Rotating Quiz #157 is over and Stephen Perry wins.

The theme was alliterative answers. They were in order from
A-I, which might or might not have helped.

> 1. This American tennis player won three Grand Slam
> titles and was ranked #1 in the world in 1975 (according
> to some systems). He was the first African-American
> on the US Davis Cup team.

Arthur Ashe
3 for everyone

> 2. This Paul Simon song - and therefore his album
> Graceland - opens with a description of an IED
> attack. (The song doesn't call it that, of course;
> for one thing the term was not in popular parlance
> in the US back then.)

The Boy in the Bubble
4 for Stephen and Rob

> 3. This 18th-century Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
> was also an playwright, actor, and manager of Drury
> Lane Theatre. His plays were often derided at the time
> and are not well-thought of today; he is known mostly
> for his autobiography and the fact that he is the chief
> Dunce in Alexander Pope's "The Dunciad."

Colley Cibber
3 for Stephen; 2 for Chris

> 4. This 18th-century French philosopher is best known
> for being one of the two editors of the Encyclopedie
> (one of the first encyclopedias and a good representation
> of Enlightment thinking, for which reason it was highly
> controversial). However, he also wrote plays, influential
> art criticism, and the dialogue Le Neveu de Rameau (Rameau's
> Nephew). He had great difficulty making money and had to
> sell his library to Catherine II of Russia.

Denis Diderot
I am surprised that no one got this given that some people
got Cibber, whom I would say is considerably more obscure.

> 5. This English composer rose to fame with his Enigma
> Variations (formally Variations on an Original Theme),
> and was also known for works such as The Dream of
> Gerontius, but is probably best known today (and certainly
> best known in the US) for his Pomp and Circumstance Marches;
> the trio from the first of these is commonly played at
> American graduation ceremonies.

Edward Elgar
3 for Mark, Chris, Peter, and Pete; 2 for Rob

> 6. This American woman enrolled at the Boston Cooking School
> at the age of 30; she later became its principal, and still
> later founded her own cooking school. She lectured at Harvard
> Medical School about diet and nutrition for convalescing
> patients. She wrote a number of books, but is most famous for
> her first, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it has many
> editions since it was first published in 1896, but not all
> with that title.

Fannie Farmer
3 for Mark, Stephen, and Jeffrey

> 7. The Oscars are generally considered the premier American
> film awards, but some people also claim to take these awards
> given by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association seriously.
> Unlike the Oscars, these also include television awards.

Golden Globes
3 for Mark, Chris, Peter, Calvin, Stephen, Jeffrey, Pete, and Dan

> 8. This, one of the best-known "settlement houses" in the
> US, was founded in Chicago in 1889 by Ellen Gates Starr and
> the prominent social reformer Jane Addams. It provided
> educational opportunities for people in the surrounding
> neighborhoods (mostly poor European immigrants), and later
> also provided food, medical services, etc. It was one of the
> first places listed in the National Register of Historic
> Places.

Hull House
3 for Stephen and Jeffrey

> 9. This Romanian politician did not start the revolution
> that toppled Ceausescu but was a major player afterwards;
> he was elected president in the first free elections held
> in Romania (in 1990), and again in 1992 and 2000.

Ion Iliescu
3 for Erland; 2 for Dan

> 10. This author and activist wrote a nuber of books but
> is probably best known to laypeople for Death and Life
> of Great American Cities. She spent much of her life
> in New York City, where she helped prevent the Lower
> Manhattan Expressway, and later moved to Toronto, where
> she helped prevent the Spadina Expressway.

Jane Jacobs
3 for Mark, Chris, and Stephen

Scores;

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
-----------------------------------
Stephen 3 3 3 0 0 3 3 3 0 3 21
Mark 3 0 0 0 3 3 3 0 0 3 15
Chris 3 0 2 0 3 0 3 0 0 3 14
Jeffrey 3 0 0 0 0 3 3 3 0 0 12
Peter 3 0 0 0 3 0 3 0 0 0 9
Pete 3 0 0 0 3 0 3 0 0 0 9
Rob 3 3 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 8
Dan 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 2 0 8
Erland 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 6
Calvin 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6
Marc 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2014, 8:30:24 AM9/29/14
Dan Blum:
> Rotating Quiz #157 is over and Stephen Perry wins.

Congratulations, Stephen.

> The theme was alliterative answers. They were in order from
> A-I, which might or might not have helped.

And why is Jane Jacobs being dissed, *hmmm*?

> The Boy in the Bubble
> 4 for Stephen and Rob

Nice trick. :-)

Thanks for the contest, Dan.
--
Mark Brader "Never re-invent the wheel unnecessarily;
Toronto yours may have corners."

Dan Blum

Sep 29, 2014, 9:15:06 AM9/29/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Dan Blum:
> > Rotating Quiz #157 is over and Stephen Perry wins.

> Congratulations, Stephen.
>
> > The theme was alliterative answers. They were in order from
> > A-I, which might or might not have helped.

> And why is Jane Jacobs being dissed, *hmmm*?

Because I was very tired when I wrote that.

> > The Boy in the Bubble
> > 4 for Stephen and Rob

> Nice trick. :-)

See above.

> Thanks for the contest, Dan.

You're welcome.

swp

Sep 29, 2014, 8:09:34 PM9/29/14
On Sunday, September 28, 2014 11:32:55 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> Rotating Quiz #157 is over and Stephen Perry wins.

coming soon.

swp