QFTCI16 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Cannes, Euro soccer

Mark Brader

Jul 7, 2016, 2:49:56 AM7/7/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes

The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
questions on the history of this lavish event.

1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
by Paddy Chayefsky.

3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
Name either.

4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
-- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.

5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".

6. A Canadian film has never won the Palme d'Or, but Canadians
have received the second-place prize twice, in 1997 for "The
Sweet Hereafter" and this year for "It's Only the End of the
World" ("Juste la fin du monde"). Name either of the directors
of these films.

7. The only winner from an African country came in 1975, with the
film "Chronicles of the Years of Fire". What country was that?
Hint: In 1968 another revolutionary-themed film from the same
country had 3 Oscar nominations; *that* film's title is "The
Battle of..." -- this country's capital city. Now, name the
African country.

8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
<answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
for the Oscar for Best Picture?

9. China got its first and only Cannes win in 1993 with "Farewell My
Concubine", but this was a tie. Name the other winner that year,
a female-directed movie from New Zealand starring Holly Hunter
and Harvey Keitel that was a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars.

10. This country's New Wave in film started when "4 Months, 3 Weeks
and 2 Days" won at Cannes in 2007. Many of the films of this
movement, such as "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu", have to do
with the hell of bureaucracy in a post-Communist society.
Name the country.

* Game 3, Round 3 - Sports - They Call it Football

On the handout below (to view it properly you'll need a window
at least 83 characters wide, and of course a monospaced font),
each row of the table shows four players from the same European
soccer team. Their positions are shown at the top of the chart.
The 16 teams listed are the ones in the Champions League that
reached the knockout phase for 2015-16.

FORWARD MIDFIELDER DEFENDER GOALKEEPER
1. Bas Dost Julian Draxler Dante Diego Benaglio
2. Hulk Danny Aleksandr Anyukov Yuri Lodygin
3. Danny Welbeck Mikel Arteta Per Mertesacker Petr Cech
4. Andriy Yarmolenko Miguel Veloso Danilo Silva Oleksandr Shovkovskiy
5. Paulo Dybala Paul Pogba Giorgio Chiellini Gianluigi Buffon
6. Antoine Griezmann Gabi Filipe Luís Jan Oblak
7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic Ángel Di María Thiago Silva Nicolas Douchez
8. Francesco Totti Daniele De Rossi Maicon Bogdan Lobont
9. Cristiano Ronaldo Luka Modric Sergio Ramos Keylor Navas
10. Luuk de Jong Andrés Guardado Jeffrey Bruma Jeroen Zoet
11. Sergio Aguero Yaya Touré Vincent Kompany Joe Hart
12. Robert Lewandowski Franck Ribéry Philipp Lahm Manuel Neuer
13. Diego Costa Cesc Fàbregas Gary Cahill Asmir Begovic
14. Laurent Depoitre Sven Kums Rafinha Matz Sels
15. Luis Suárez Andrés Iniesta Gerard Piqué Marc-André ter Stegen
16. Jonas Nicolás Gaitán Luisão Ederson

In each case, we will name a team and you will answer with the
corresponding row number on the table.

1. Juventus ["you-VENT-uss"].
2. Bayern Munich.
3. Barcelona.
4. Chelsea.
5. Real Madrid.
6. Manchester City.
7. Zenit St. Petersburg.
8. Dynamo Kiev.
9. Paris St-Germain.
10. Arsenal.

So there were 6 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to identify
the remaining teams for fun, but for no points.

11. Wolfsburg.
12. Orasvpn.
13. Ngyégvpb Znqevq.
14. CFI Rvaqubira.
15. Trag.
16. Ebzn.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Save our planet: it's the only one with chocolate"
m...@vex.net | --Bumper sticker

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 7, 2016, 4:11:09 AM7/7/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes
>
> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.
>
> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

Kurosawa

> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.

Michael Moore's "Farenheit 911",

> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.

1968

> 6. A Canadian film has never won the Palme d'Or, but Canadians
> have received the second-place prize twice, in 1997 for "The
> Sweet Hereafter" and this year for "It's Only the End of the
> World" ("Juste la fin du monde"). Name either of the directors
> of these films.

Atom Egoyan

> 8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
> earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
> <answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
> for the Oscar for Best Picture?

37

> 10. This country's New Wave in film started when "4 Months, 3 Weeks
> and 2 Days" won at Cannes in 2007. Many of the films of this
> movement, such as "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu", have to do
> with the hell of bureaucracy in a post-Communist society.
> Name the country.

Romania

4

> 2. Bayern Munich.

12

> 3. Barcelona.

15

3

9

> 6. Manchester City.

13

4

2

7

> 10. Arsenal.

11

6

> 16. Ebzn.

8

Dan Blum

Jul 7, 2016, 9:58:28 AM7/7/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes

> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

Herzog

> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.

Rudy

> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.

Fahrenheit 9/11

> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.

1968

> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".

Vietnam

> 7. The only winner from an African country came in 1975, with the
> film "Chronicles of the Years of Fire". What country was that?
> Hint: In 1968 another revolutionary-themed film from the same
> country had 3 Oscar nominations; *that* film's title is "The
> Battle of..." -- this country's capital city. Now, name the
> African country.

Algeria

> 8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
> earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
> <answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
> for the Oscar for Best Picture?

15; 20

> 9. China got its first and only Cannes win in 1993 with "Farewell My
> Concubine", but this was a tie. Name the other winner that year,
> a female-directed movie from New Zealand starring Holly Hunter
> and Harvey Keitel that was a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars.

The Piano

> 10. This country's New Wave in film started when "4 Months, 3 Weeks
> and 2 Days" won at Cannes in 2007. Many of the films of this
> movement, such as "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu", have to do
> with the hell of bureaucracy in a post-Communist society.
> Name the country.

Romania

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Sports - They Call it Football

> 1. Juventus ["you-VENT-uss"].

5; 8

> 2. Bayern Munich.

12; 1

> 3. Barcelona.

13; 16

> 4. Chelsea.

1; 16

> 5. Real Madrid.

9; 13

> 6. Manchester City.

3; 7

> 7. Zenit St. Petersburg.

4; 2

> 8. Dynamo Kiev.

2; 4

> 9. Paris St-Germain.

14; 10

> 10. Arsenal.

14; 8

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 7, 2016, 12:36:57 PM7/7/16
In article <XfKdndJfD6wSZuDK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes
>
> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.
>
> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.
Akira Kuwasara

> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.
Marty [IIRC this was a TV movie]

> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.
Fahrenheit 9/11

> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.
1968

> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".
>
> 6. A Canadian film has never won the Palme d'Or, but Canadians
> have received the second-place prize twice, in 1997 for "The
> Sweet Hereafter" and this year for "It's Only the End of the
> World" ("Juste la fin du monde"). Name either of the directors
> of these films.
Atom Egoyan

> 7. The only winner from an African country came in 1975, with the
> film "Chronicles of the Years of Fire". What country was that?
> Hint: In 1968 another revolutionary-themed film from the same
> country had 3 Oscar nominations; *that* film's title is "The
> Battle of..." -- this country's capital city. Now, name the
> African country.
>
> 8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
> earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
> <answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
> for the Oscar for Best Picture?
>
> 9. China got its first and only Cannes win in 1993 with "Farewell My
> Concubine", but this was a tie. Name the other winner that year,
> a female-directed movie from New Zealand starring Holly Hunter
> and Harvey Keitel that was a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars.
The Piano

> 10. This country's New Wave in film started when "4 Months, 3 Weeks
> and 2 Days" won at Cannes in 2007. Many of the films of this
> movement, such as "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu", have to do
> with the hell of bureaucracy in a post-Communist society.
> Name the country.
Romania

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 7, 2016, 12:42:54 PM7/7/16
In article <MPG.31e8412...@news.eternal-september.org>, use...@MarcDashevsky.com says...
> > 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> > was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> > Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> > by Paddy Chayefsky.
> Marty [IIRC this was a TV movie]

But Rod Steiger acted in the TV film. My mistake.

Peter Smyth

Jul 7, 2016, 1:21:20 PM7/7/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes
>
> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.
>
> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.
Ken Russell
> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.
>
> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.
Fahrenheit 9/11
> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.
>
> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".
Vietnam
> 6. A Canadian film has never won the Palme d'Or, but Canadians
> have received the second-place prize twice, in 1997 for "The
> Sweet Hereafter" and this year for "It's Only the End of the
> World" ("Juste la fin du monde"). Name either of the directors
> of these films.
>
> 7. The only winner from an African country came in 1975, with the
> film "Chronicles of the Years of Fire". What country was that?
> Hint: In 1968 another revolutionary-themed film from the same
> country had 3 Oscar nominations; that film's title is "The
> Battle of..." -- this country's capital city. Now, name the
> African country.
>
> 8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
> earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
> <answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
> for the Oscar for Best Picture?
10, 15
5
> 2. Bayern Munich.
12
> 3. Barcelona.
15
> 4. Chelsea.
13
9
> 6. Manchester City.
11
2
4
7
3

> So there were 6 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to identify
> the remaining teams for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Jbysfohet.
Were they the Faeroe Island champions? By process of elimination they
must be 1
> 12. Benfica.
16
6
> 14. PSV Eindhoven.
10
> 15. Gent.
14
> 16. Roma.
8

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Jul 7, 2016, 1:36:53 PM7/7/16
On 2016-07-07 08:49, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes
>
> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.
>
> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

Lars von Trier

> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.

The Giant

> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.

Fahrenheit 9/11

> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.

1968

> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".

USA
5
> 2. Bayern Munich.
12
> 3. Barcelona.
15
> 4. Chelsea.
13
9
> 6. Manchester City.
11
> 7. Zenit St. Petersburg.
4;2
> 8. Dynamo Kiev.
4;2
7
3

> So there were 6 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to identify
> the remaining teams for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Wolfsburg.
> 12. Orasvpn.
> 13. Ngyégvpb Znqevq.
> 14. CFI Rvaqubira.
> 15. Trag.
> 16. Ebzn.

Björn

Mark Brader

Jul 7, 2016, 2:52:57 PM7/7/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
>>> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
>>> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
>>> by Paddy Chayefsky.

Marc Dashevsky:
>> Marty [IIRC this was a TV movie]
> But Rod Steiger acted in the TV film. My mistake.

And a TV-movie would not have been eligible for an Oscar unless it
also played in cinemas.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Argh! Hoist by my own canard :-) !"
m...@vex.net -- Steve Summit

Pete

Jul 7, 2016, 7:59:38 PM7/7/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I did not write either of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes
>
> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.
>
> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

Kurosawa

> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.

Marty

> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.

Fahrenheit 911

> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.

1975; 1978

> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".

Thailand; Vietnam

> 6. A Canadian film has never won the Palme d'Or, but Canadians
> have received the second-place prize twice, in 1997 for "The
> Sweet Hereafter" and this year for "It's Only the End of the
> World" ("Juste la fin du monde"). Name either of the directors
> of these films.
>
> 7. The only winner from an African country came in 1975, with the
> film "Chronicles of the Years of Fire". What country was that?
> Hint: In 1968 another revolutionary-themed film from the same
> country had 3 Oscar nominations; *that* film's title is "The
> Battle of..." -- this country's capital city. Now, name the
> African country.

DR Congo

> 8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
> earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
> <answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
> for the Oscar for Best Picture?

15; 20

> 9. China got its first and only Cannes win in 1993 with "Farewell My
> Concubine", but this was a tie. Name the other winner that year,
> a female-directed movie from New Zealand starring Holly Hunter
> and Harvey Keitel that was a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars.

The Piano
5

> 2. Bayern Munich.

12

> 3. Barcelona.

15

> 4. Chelsea.

13

9

> 6. Manchester City.

11

2

4

7

3

1

> 12. Orasvpn.

16

6

> 14. CFI Rvaqubira.

10

> 15. Trag.

14

> 16. Ebzn.

8

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 8, 2016, 11:15:47 AM7/8/16
In article <98udnTRjNuqZOOPK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> Mark Brader:
>
> Marc Dashevsky:
> >> Marty [IIRC this was a TV movie]
> > But Rod Steiger acted in the TV film. My mistake.
>
> And a TV-movie would not have been eligible for an Oscar unless it
> also played in cinemas.

Yes. That was the point of my initial comment. I provided an answer
even though I mistakenly thought the answer was ineligible.

Dan Tilque

Jul 9, 2016, 12:16:02 AM7/9/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes
>
> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.
>
> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.
>
> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.
>
> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.
>
> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.
>
> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".

Vietnam
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 10, 2016, 5:15:52 PM7/10/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.

Sorry about the delay there.

> For further information see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

But I did suggest the format for the second one.

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - Cannes

> The 69th Cannes Film Festival concluded on May 22. Here are some
> questions on the history of this lavish event.

> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

Bille August, Francis Ford Coppola, Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne,
Michael Haneke, Shohei Imamura, Emir Kusturica, Ken Loach.

> 2. The first year that the first prize was called the Palme d'Or
> was 1955, and the winner that year also won the Best Picture
> Oscar. Name that movie, starring Ernest Borgnine and written
> by Paddy Chayefsky.

"Marty". 4 for Marc and Pete.

> 3. Two documentaries have won the Palme d'Or, in 1956 and 2004.
> One is about George W. Bush and the war on terror; the
> other followed Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso.
> Name either.

"Fahrenheit 9/11", "The Silent World" ("Le Monde du Silence").
4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Björn, and Pete.

> 4. Since 1951 the festival has run every year without interruption
> -- except once. Within 1 year, name the year when it was
> cancelled in solidarity with the civil unrest, student protests,
> and general strikes that were taking place across most of France.

1968 (accepting 1967-69). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, and Björn.

> 5. What country does the 2010 winner, "Uncle Boonmee who Can
> Recall his Past Lives", hail from? Recent films that *took
> place* in this country include "The Impossible", "The Hangover
> Part II", "Rambo", and "Only God Forgives".

Thailand. 3 for Pete.

> 6. A Canadian film has never won the Palme d'Or, but Canadians
> have received the second-place prize twice, in 1997 for "The
> Sweet Hereafter" and this year for "It's Only the End of the
> World" ("Juste la fin du monde"). Name either of the directors
> of these films.

Atom Egoyan, Xavier Dolan. 4 for Erland and Marc.

> 7. The only winner from an African country came in 1975, with the
> film "Chronicles of the Years of Fire". What country was that?
> Hint: In 1968 another revolutionary-themed film from the same
> country had 3 Oscar nominations; *that* film's title is "The
> Battle of..." -- this country's capital city. Now, name the
> African country.

Algeria ("The Battle of Algiers"). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. So far there have been 69 winners of the Palme d'Or or the
> earlier Grand Prix du Festival. Within 2, and including
> <answer 2>, how many of the 69 were also at least nominated
> for the Oscar for Best Picture?

15 (accepting 13-17). 3 for Dan Blum and Pete. 2 for Peter.

> 9. China got its first and only Cannes win in 1993 with "Farewell My
> Concubine", but this was a tie. Name the other winner that year,
> a female-directed movie from New Zealand starring Holly Hunter
> and Harvey Keitel that was a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars.

"The Piano". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Pete.

> 10. This country's New Wave in film started when "4 Months, 3 Weeks
> and 2 Days" won at Cannes in 2007. Many of the films of this
> movement, such as "The Death of Mr. Lazarescu", have to do
> with the hell of bureaucracy in a post-Communist society.
> Name the country.

Romania. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Marc.
#5. 4 for Peter, Björn, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

#12. 4 for Erland, Peter, Björn, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

#15. 4 for Erland, Peter, Björn, and Pete.

#13. 4 for Peter, Björn, and Pete.

#9. 4 for Erland, Peter, Björn, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

#11. 4 for Peter, Björn, and Pete.

#2. 4 for Peter and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum and Björn.

#4. 4 for Peter and Pete. 3 for Björn. 2 for Dan Blum.

#7. 4 for Erland, Peter, Björn, and Pete.

#3 4 for Peter, Björn, and Pete.

#1. Peter and Pete got this.

#16. Peter and Pete got this.

#6. Erland, Peter, and Pete got this.

#10. Peter and Pete got this.

#14. Peter and Pete got this.

#8. Erland, Peter, and Pete got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Spo
Pete Gayde 18 40 58
Peter Smyth 6 40 46
Björn Lundin 8 37 45
Dan Blum 23 13 36
Erland Sommarskog 16 16 32
Marc Dashevsky 24 0 24
Dan Tilque 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader "I'm not Richard, either.
Toronto Oh, wait: I am! Lucky me!"

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 10, 2016, 6:15:47 PM7/10/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
>> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
>> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
>> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.
>
> Bille August, Francis Ford Coppola, Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne,
> Michael Haneke, Shohei Imamura, Emir Kusturica, Ken Loach.

Aargh, sort of! I did consider Haneke, but I did not like the only film
I've seen from him. I was fairly sure that Kusturica was the Serbian
guy, but I could just no remember his name exactly. I did think of
Ken Loach, but I had problems with remembering his name exactly as
well. (Which is a pity, because some of his films have really been
brilliant.) Kurosawa seemed like a safe bet, and I note that was not
alone with that guess. But...

Mark Brader

Jul 10, 2016, 7:12:16 PM7/10/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 1. The festival's first prize is the Palme d'Or, and there are
>>> eight directors who have won it twice. Name any one of them.
>>> Hint: Two are Belgian and the others -- in no particular order --
>>> are British, American, Serbian, Austrian, Danish, and Japanese.

>> Bille August, Francis Ford Coppola, Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne,
>> Michael Haneke, Shohei Imamura, Emir Kusturica, Ken Loach.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Aargh, sort of! I did consider Haneke... I was fairly sure that
> Kusturica was the Serbian guy, but I could just no remember his
> name exactly. I did think of Ken Loach, but I had problems with
> remembering his name exactly as well... Kurosawa seemed like a
> safe bet, and I note that was not alone with that guess. But...

Yeah, I think that rates an aargh.

In fact this one was the hardest question in the original game --
nobody there got it right either.

The directors listed won for the following movies (I'm showing
the titles as the IMDB gives them to me on each movie's main page,
whether in English or not):

Bille August [Danish]:
"The Best Intentions" (1992)
"Pelle the Conqueror" (1987)

Francis Ford Coppola [American]:
"The Conversation" (1974)
"Apocalypse Now" (1979) [tied with "the Tin Drum" for the award]

Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne [Belgian]:
"Rosetta" (1999)
"L'enfant" (2005)

Michael Haneke [German]:
"The White Ribbon" (2009)
"Amour" (2012)

Shohei Imamura [Japanese]:
"The Ballad of Narayama" (1983)
"The Eel" (1997) [tied with "Taste of Cherry"]

Emir Kusturica [Serbian]:
"When Father Was Away on Business" (1985)
"Underground" (1995)

Ken Loach [British]:
"The Wind That Shakes the Barley" (2006)
"I, Daniel Blake" (2016)

As to the answers people gave, Akira Kurosawa [Japanese] has won
one Palme d'Or for "Kagemusha" (1980) [tied with "All That Jazz"];
Lars von Trier [Danish] has one for "Dancer in the Dark" (2000);
and Werner Herzog [German] and Ken Russell [British] have been
nominated but never won.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"A system which depends upon the secrecy of its algorithm