RQFTCI03 Game 5 Rounds 4,6: rodeo, CanScientists

Mark Brader

Dec 23, 2020, 2:57:58 AM12/23/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

(Note: usually when doing QFTCI at this time of year I figure that
people are busy with seasonal activities and allow an extra 2 days
in the entry period. This time I'm assuming that those activities
are mostly canceled, and staying with the usual 3 days.)

I did not write these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - Rodeo

1. Which rodeo event features women riding a short course with
tight turns around objects?

2. What breed of horse is most commonly used for <answer 1>?

3. What are the *two* types of bronco riding?

4. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
question #3. Va fnqqyr oebap evqvat, jvguva 1 frpbaq, ubj
ybat zhfg n evqre fgnl ba gur ubefr va beqre gb dhnyvsl?

5. Which rodeo event requires a lasso?

6. There are two standard rodeo events where partners are permitted.
Name *either*.

7. Which event is generally considered the most dangerous for the
human participants?

8. In <answer 7>, whose job is it to distract the animal from a
downed rider?

9. What is the modern name of the event formerly known as
"bulldogging"?

10. At what *venue* is Canada's largest rodeo held?

* Game 5, Round 6 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Scientists

1. Lap Chee Tsui ["Choy"] of the Hospital for Sick Children led
a team that identified the gene for which disease in 1989?

2. Which chemist's Nobel-prizewinning experiment studied the light
produced by the reaction of hydrogen with chlorine?

3. Name the science writer and broadcaster who """has""" hosted
CBC Radio's program "Quirks & Quarks" since 1992.

4. This scientist, trained as a neurologist and neurobiologist,
had a book of her photography published in 2000. She was
"""recently""" appointed Chancellor of Trent University in
Peterborough. Name her.

5. Alice Wilson was the first woman elected to the Royal Society
of Canada. She performed extensive field work in the Ottawa -
St. Lawrence Valley in which scientific discipline?

6. William Ricker was a biologist who devised the Ricker Curve,
which describes the population dynamics of what kind of animal?

7. Which astronomer """is""" editor of the Canadian magazine
"SkyNews" and the author of the bestseller "NightWatch: A
Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe"?

8. Bill Reeves, who studied math at the University of Waterloo
and computer science at the University of Toronto, is an Academy
Award winner, and """is""" Technical Director of which northern
California film studio?

9. This 19th-century amateur botanist wrote the book "Canadian
Wild Flowers"; however, she is better known for "The Backwoods
of Canada: Letters from the Wife of an Emigrant Officer". Who?

10. Irene Uchida researched the causes of genetic abnormalities
including Down (or Down's) syndrome, which is most often
associated with a third copy of *which number* chromosome?

--
Mark Brader | "Reality aside, we would like to deploy a methodology
m...@vex.net | for how Rooter might behave in theory."

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 23, 2020, 3:45:04 AM12/23/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7Z-dnSHSnfkdZX_CnZ2dnUU7-
TPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - Rodeo
>
> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #3. Va fnqqyr oebap evqvat, jvguva 1 frpbaq, ubj
> ybat zhfg n evqre fgnl ba gur ubefr va beqre gb dhnyvsl?

8 seconds

> 7. Which event is generally considered the most dangerous for the
> human participants?

bull riding

> 8. In <answer 7>, whose job is it to distract the animal from a
> downed rider?

rodeo clown

> 10. At what *venue* is Canada's largest rodeo held?

Calgary Saddledome

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Scientists
>
> 8. Bill Reeves, who studied math at the University of Waterloo
> and computer science at the University of Toronto, is an Academy
> Award winner, and """is""" Technical Director of which northern
> California film studio?

Pixar

> 10. Irene Uchida researched the causes of genetic abnormalities
> including Down (or Down's) syndrome, which is most often
> associated with a third copy of *which number* chromosome?

21

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Dec 23, 2020, 8:13:08 PM12/23/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - Rodeo

> 1. Which rodeo event features women riding a short course with
> tight turns around objects?

slalom

> 3. What are the *two* types of bronco riding?

saddle and bareback

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #3. Va fnqqyr oebap evqvat, jvguva 1 frpbaq, ubj
> ybat zhfg n evqre fgnl ba gur ubefr va beqre gb dhnyvsl?

10 seconds; 15 seconds

> 5. Which rodeo event requires a lasso?

calf roping

> 7. Which event is generally considered the most dangerous for the
> human participants?

bull riding

> 8. In <answer 7>, whose job is it to distract the animal from a
> downed rider?

rodeo clown

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Scientists

> 1. Lap Chee Tsui ["Choy"] of the Hospital for Sick Children led
> a team that identified the gene for which disease in 1989?

cerebral palsy; cystic fibrosis

> 5. Alice Wilson was the first woman elected to the Royal Society
> of Canada. She performed extensive field work in the Ottawa -
> St. Lawrence Valley in which scientific discipline?

geology; botany

> 6. William Ricker was a biologist who devised the Ricker Curve,
> which describes the population dynamics of what kind of animal?

prey; predator

> 8. Bill Reeves, who studied math at the University of Waterloo
> and computer science at the University of Toronto, is an Academy
> Award winner, and """is""" Technical Director of which northern
> California film studio?

Lucasfilm

> 10. Irene Uchida researched the causes of genetic abnormalities
> including Down (or Down's) syndrome, which is most often
> associated with a third copy of *which number* chromosome?

23rd

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Dec 25, 2020, 1:09:18 AM12/25/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7Z-dnSHSnfkdZX_CnZ2dnUU7-
TPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> (Note: usually when doing QFTCI at this time of year I figure that
> people are busy with seasonal activities and allow an extra 2 days
> in the entry period. This time I'm assuming that those activities
> are mostly canceled, and staying with the usual 3 days.)
>
> I did not write these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - Rodeo
>
> 1. Which rodeo event features women riding a short course with
> tight turns around objects?

Barrel racing

> 2. What breed of horse is most commonly used for <answer 1>?
>
> 3. What are the *two* types of bronco riding?
>
> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #3. Va fnqqyr oebap evqvat, jvguva 1 frpbaq, ubj
> ybat zhfg n evqre fgnl ba gur ubefr va beqre gb dhnyvsl?

8 seconds

> 5. Which rodeo event requires a lasso?

Calf roping

> 6. There are two standard rodeo events where partners are permitted.
> Name *either*.
>
> 7. Which event is generally considered the most dangerous for the
> human participants?

Bull riding

> 8. In <answer 7>, whose job is it to distract the animal from a
> downed rider?

Rodeo clown

> 9. What is the modern name of the event formerly known as
> "bulldogging"?
>
> 10. At what *venue* is Canada's largest rodeo held?

Calgary Stampede
Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 25, 2020, 1:29:28 AM12/25/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write these rounds.

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Sports - Rodeo

> 1. Which rodeo event features women riding a short course with
> tight turns around objects?

Barrel racing. 4 for Pete.

> 2. What breed of horse is most commonly used for <answer 1>?

Quarter horse.

> 3. What are the *two* types of bronco riding?

Bareback, saddle. 4 for Dan.

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #3. In saddle bronc riding, within 1 second, how
> long must a rider stay on the horse in order to qualify?

8 seconds (accepting 7-9). 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 5. Which rodeo event requires a lasso?

Calf roping (also accepting goat roping, team roping, and steer
roping). 4 for Dan and Pete.

> 6. There are two standard rodeo events where partners are permitted.
> Name *either*.

Team roping, steer wrestling (bulldogging). Team penning and
chuckwagon racing also exist in some rodeos but are not standard
events.

> 7. Which event is generally considered the most dangerous for the
> human participants?

Bull riding. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan, and Pete.

> 8. In <answer 7>, whose job is it to distract the animal from a
> downed rider?

The clown. 4 for everyone.

> 9. What is the modern name of the event formerly known as
> "bulldogging"?

Steer wrestling.

> 10. At what *venue* is Canada's largest rodeo held?

Stampede Park (accepting Grounds), Calgary. "Calgary Stampede"
is the name of the rodeo, not the venue, and was not acceptable.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Scientists

> 1. Lap Chee Tsui ["Choy"] of the Hospital for Sick Children led
> a team that identified the gene for which disease in 1989?

Cystic fibrosis. 2 for Dan.

> 2. Which chemist's Nobel-prizewinning experiment studied the light
> produced by the reaction of hydrogen with chlorine?

John Polanyi. (Won the prize in 1986.)

> 3. Name the science writer and broadcaster who """has""" hosted
> CBC Radio's program "Quirks & Quarks" since 1992.

Bob McDonald. (Still true!)

> 4. This scientist, trained as a neurologist and neurobiologist,
> had a book of her photography published in 2000. She was
> """recently""" appointed Chancellor of Trent University in
> Peterborough. Name her.

Roberta Bondar -- in addition to the above, an astronaut. She was
chancellor of Trent 2003-09 and is still alive.

> 5. Alice Wilson was the first woman elected to the Royal Society
> of Canada. She performed extensive field work in the Ottawa -
> St. Lawrence Valley in which scientific discipline?

Geology and paleontology. 3 for Dan.

> 6. William Ricker was a biologist who devised the Ricker Curve,
> which describes the population dynamics of what kind of animal?

Fish (anything more specific was okay).

> 7. Which astronomer """is""" editor of the Canadian magazine
> "SkyNews" and the author of the bestseller "NightWatch: A
> Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe"?

Terence Dickinson. (No longer the editor.)

> 8. Bill Reeves, who studied math at the University of Waterloo
> and computer science at the University of Toronto, is an Academy
> Award winner, and """is""" Technical Director of which northern
> California film studio?

Pixar. (He's still alive but it's not clear to me whether he's
still working at Pixar or anywhere.) 4 for Joshua.

I got to hold his Oscar once.

> 9. This 19th-century amateur botanist wrote the book "Canadian
> Wild Flowers"; however, she is better known for "The Backwoods
> of Canada: Letters from the Wife of an Emigrant Officer". Who?

Catherine Parr Traill.

#21. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His Spo Can
Joshua Kreitzer 32 31 12 8 83
Dan Blum 16 28 16 5 65
Pete Gayde 8 24 20 0 52
Dan Tilque 12 32 -- -- 44
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader "If the right people don't have power...
Toronto the wrong people get it... ordinary voters!"