QFTCIUA19 Game 5, Rounds 4-6: space race, pop/classics, Shakespeareisms

Mark Brader

Jul 22, 2019, 3:37:47 AM7/22/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space

On July 20, it will have been 50 years since Neil Armstrong botched
that one line he had to memorize as the first words spoken from
the surface of the Moon. Here's a round on the space race and NASA.

1. How did the residents of Perth, Australia, get John Glenn's
attention during his historic flight on Friendship 7?

2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
7 original Mercury astronauts?

3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
in the crew of a US spacecraft?

4. What was significant about the mission to the Solar Max satellite
by the space shuttle Challenger in 1984?

5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
from what TV series was played?

6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
space probe photograph in 1959?

7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?

8. Before they changed it to LM, what did NASA's acronym LEM stand for?

9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
the first man to golf on the Moon?

10. The final moon mission in 1972 wasn't the end of Apollo.
What Apollo good-will mission took place on July 17, 1975?

* Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music

Because they're in the public domain, many pieces of classical
music are "borrowed" in pop songs. We'll describe some music,
both classical and contemporary, and ask about their connections.
(In the original game, of course, you would have heard either the
classical or the borrowed version. But I think at least some of
the questions should be playable without the audio.)

1. Martini's "Plaisir d'amour" inspired which Elvis Presley song?

2. Parts of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 were sampled for
which song that was a chart hit for Céline Dion and Eric Carmen?

3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
Name the original composer.

4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
"Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
an Oscar for this obvious thievery.

5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
who lifted that music.

6. Bach's "Minuet in G" was rearranged note-for-note for a 1965
pop hit by the Toys. What was the song's name?

7. In the song "I Can" by Nas, name the classic that's being
sampled on piano.

8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

9. In the song "C U When You Get There", a classical piece is
sampled in the background. Name the composer of that piece.

10. Again with Elvis. Name the globally known Neapolitan song,
written in 1898 and popular with operatic tenors, that was
appropriated in "It's Now or Never".

* Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare

There are many phrases that are used in everyday modern English
that William Shakespeare popularized. We will give you the play
and a definition, you give us the phrase.

1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
than fowl.

2. This expression, used to describe something old and worn, appears
both in Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" and "As You Like It".
It actually first appeared in the anonymous play "Sir Thomas
More", which is often at least partially attributed to The Bard.

3. In "As You Like It", Act IV, Scene I, Orlando utters this promise
of everlasting love when Rosalind asks him, "Now tell me how
long you would have her after you possessed her".

4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.

5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
when you do or say something to another person which you believe
to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
Also a Nick Lowe song title.

6. From "The Merchant of Venice", Act II, Scene VI, this expression
means that we ignore or refuse to see our beloved's faults.

7. Something considered to be the perfect specimen, the ne plus
ultra, this expression appears in "Macbeth", Act I, Scene VII.

8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.

9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.

10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

--
Mark Brader | "If one were to believe the bulk of our mail, one
Toronto | would conclude that about every part of our anatomy

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 22, 2019, 9:08:27 AM7/22/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space
>
> On July 20, it will have been 50 years since Neil Armstrong botched
> that one line he had to memorize as the first words spoken from
> the surface of the Moon. Here's a round on the space race and NASA.
>
> 1. How did the residents of Perth, Australia, get John Glenn's
> attention during his historic flight on Friendship 7?

turning their lights on and off

> 2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
> 7 original Mercury astronauts?

35

> 3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
> in the crew of a US spacecraft?

Japanese

> 5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
> from what TV series was played?

"Star Trek"

> 6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
> as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
> space probe photograph in 1959?

far side of the moon

> 7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?

extra-vehicular activity

> 8. Before they changed it to LM, what did NASA's acronym LEM stand
> for?

lunar excursion module

> 9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
> the first man to golf on the Moon?

Shepard

> 10. The final moon mission in 1972 wasn't the end of Apollo.
> What Apollo good-will mission took place on July 17, 1975?

Apollo-Soyuz linkup

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music
>
> Because they're in the public domain, many pieces of classical
> music are "borrowed" in pop songs. We'll describe some music,
> both classical and contemporary, and ask about their connections.
>
> 2. Parts of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 were sampled for
> which song that was a chart hit for Céline Dion and Eric Carmen?

"All by Myself"

> 3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
> version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
> Name the original composer.

Bach

> 4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
> "Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
> Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
> an Oscar for this obvious thievery.

Conti

> 5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
> the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
> summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
> who lifted that music.

Williams

> 6. Bach's "Minuet in G" was rearranged note-for-note for a 1965
> pop hit by the Toys. What was the song's name?

"A Lover's Concerto"

> 8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
> a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

Procol Harum

> 10. Again with Elvis. Name the globally known Neapolitan song,
> written in 1898 and popular with operatic tenors, that was
> appropriated in "It's Now or Never".

"O Sole Mio"

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare
>
> There are many phrases that are used in everyday modern English
> that William Shakespeare popularized. We will give you the play
> and a definition, you give us the phrase.
>
> 1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
> hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
> Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
> than fowl.

wild goose chase

> 4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
> expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
> Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.

off with their heads

> 5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
> when you do or say something to another person which you believe
> to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
> future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
> Also a Nick Lowe song title.

cruel to be kind

> 8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
> or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
> It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.

break the ice

> 9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
> line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.

knock knock

> 10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
> expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
> however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

the game is afoot

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jul 22, 2019, 10:02:29 AM7/22/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space

> 2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
> 7 original Mercury astronauts?

30

> 3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
> in the crew of a US spacecraft?

Canadian

> 5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
> from what TV series was played?

Star Trek (original series)

> 6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
> as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
> space probe photograph in 1959?

far side of the Moon

> 7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?

extra-vehicular activity

> 9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
> the first man to golf on the Moon?

Alan Shepard

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music

> 3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
> version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
> Name the original composer.

Beethoven; Handel

> 4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
> "Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
> Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
> an Oscar for this obvious thievery.

Williams; Horner

> 5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
> the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
> summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
> who lifted that music.

Horner; Williams

> 8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
> a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

The Beatles

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare

> 1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
> hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
> Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
> than fowl.

wild goose chase

> 2. This expression, used to describe something old and worn, appears
> both in Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" and "As You Like It".
> It actually first appeared in the anonymous play "Sir Thomas
> More", which is often at least partially attributed to The Bard.

tattered

> 4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
> expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
> Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.

off with his head

> 5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
> when you do or say something to another person which you believe
> to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
> future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
> Also a Nick Lowe song title.

you have to be cruel to be kind

> 8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
> or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
> It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.

nreak the ice

> 9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
> line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.

knock knock

> 10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
> expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
> however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

the game's afoot

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 23, 2019, 4:31:31 PM7/23/19
On 7/22/19 12:37 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space
>
> On July 20, it will have been 50 years since Neil Armstrong botched
> that one line he had to memorize as the first words spoken from
> the surface of the Moon. Here's a round on the space race and NASA.
>
> 1. How did the residents of Perth, Australia, get John Glenn's
> attention during his historic flight on Friendship 7?

turned on all their lights

> 2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
> 7 original Mercury astronauts?

38

> 3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
> in the crew of a US spacecraft?

British

> 4. What was significant about the mission to the Solar Max satellite
> by the space shuttle Challenger in 1984?

first repair mission in space; first orbital rendezvous with a craft
that was not part of the original mission

(I believe both of those answers are correct)

> 5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
> from what TV series was played?

Star Trek

> 6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
> as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
> space probe photograph in 1959?

far side of the Moon

> 7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?

extra vehicular activity

> 8. Before they changed it to LM, what did NASA's acronym LEM stand for?

Lunar Excursion Module

> 9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
> the first man to golf on the Moon?

Shepard

> 10. The final moon mission in 1972 wasn't the end of Apollo.
> What Apollo good-will mission took place on July 17, 1975?

Apollo-Soyuz

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music
>
> Because they're in the public domain, many pieces of classical
> music are "borrowed" in pop songs. We'll describe some music,
> both classical and contemporary, and ask about their connections.
> (In the original game, of course, you would have heard either the
> classical or the borrowed version. But I think at least some of
> the questions should be playable without the audio.)
>
> 1. Martini's "Plaisir d'amour" inspired which Elvis Presley song?
>
> 2. Parts of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 were sampled for
> which song that was a chart hit for Céline Dion and Eric Carmen?
>
> 3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
> version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
> Name the original composer.

Beethoven

> 4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
> "Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
> Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
> an Oscar for this obvious thievery.
>
> 5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
> the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
> summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
> who lifted that music.
>
> 6. Bach's "Minuet in G" was rearranged note-for-note for a 1965
> pop hit by the Toys. What was the song's name?
>
> 7. In the song "I Can" by Nas, name the classic that's being
> sampled on piano.
>
> 8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
> a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

The Beatles (worth a guess)

> 9. In the song "C U When You Get There", a classical piece is
> sampled in the background. Name the composer of that piece.
>
> 10. Again with Elvis. Name the globally known Neapolitan song,
> written in 1898 and popular with operatic tenors, that was
> appropriated in "It's Now or Never".
>

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare
>
> There are many phrases that are used in everyday modern English
> that William Shakespeare popularized. We will give you the play
> and a definition, you give us the phrase.
>
> 1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
> hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
> Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
> than fowl.
>
> 2. This expression, used to describe something old and worn, appears
> both in Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" and "As You Like It".
> It actually first appeared in the anonymous play "Sir Thomas
> More", which is often at least partially attributed to The Bard.
>
> 3. In "As You Like It", Act IV, Scene I, Orlando utters this promise
> of everlasting love when Rosalind asks him, "Now tell me how
> long you would have her after you possessed her".

forever and ever

> 4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
> expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
> Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.

off with his head

> 5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
> when you do or say something to another person which you believe
> to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
> future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
> Also a Nick Lowe song title.
>
> 6. From "The Merchant of Venice", Act II, Scene VI, this expression
> means that we ignore or refuse to see our beloved's faults.

love is blind

> 7. Something considered to be the perfect specimen, the ne plus
> ultra, this expression appears in "Macbeth", Act I, Scene VII.
>
> 8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
> or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
> It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.

break the ice

> 9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
> line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.
>
> 10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
> expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
> however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

the game is afoot

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jul 23, 2019, 4:46:36 PM7/23/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:S5ednQnvRN9Y-qjAnZ2dnUU7-
LXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space
>
> On July 20, it will have been 50 years since Neil Armstrong botched
> that one line he had to memorize as the first words spoken from
> the surface of the Moon. Here's a round on the space race and NASA.
>
> 1. How did the residents of Perth, Australia, get John Glenn's
> attention during his historic flight on Friendship 7?

Flashed lights on and off

> 2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
> 7 original Mercury astronauts?

30; 35

> 3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
> in the crew of a US spacecraft?

Japanese; Canadian

> 4. What was significant about the mission to the Solar Max satellite
> by the space shuttle Challenger in 1984?

Satellite was captured and brought back to Earth

> 5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
> from what TV series was played?

Star Trek

> 6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
> as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
> space probe photograph in 1959?

Telstar

> 7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?

Extra Vehicular Activity

> 8. Before they changed it to LM, what did NASA's acronym LEM stand
for?

Lunar Excursion Module

> 9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
> the first man to golf on the Moon?

Bean

> 10. The final moon mission in 1972 wasn't the end of Apollo.
> What Apollo good-will mission took place on July 17, 1975?

Apollo-Soyuz docking

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music
>
> Because they're in the public domain, many pieces of classical
> music are "borrowed" in pop songs. We'll describe some music,
> both classical and contemporary, and ask about their connections.
> (In the original game, of course, you would have heard either the
> classical or the borrowed version. But I think at least some of
> the questions should be playable without the audio.)
>
> 1. Martini's "Plaisir d'amour" inspired which Elvis Presley song?

I Can't Help Falling in Love With You

> 2. Parts of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 were sampled for
> which song that was a chart hit for Céline Dion and Eric Carmen?

Never Gonna Fall in Love Again

> 3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
> version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
> Name the original composer.

Beethoven

> 4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
> "Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
> Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
> an Oscar for this obvious thievery.

Conti

> 5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
> the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
> summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
> who lifted that music.

John Williams

> 6. Bach's "Minuet in G" was rearranged note-for-note for a 1965
> pop hit by the Toys. What was the song's name?
>
> 7. In the song "I Can" by Nas, name the classic that's being
> sampled on piano.
>
> 8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
> a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

Procol Harum

> 9. In the song "C U When You Get There", a classical piece is
> sampled in the background. Name the composer of that piece.

Brahms; Chopin

> 10. Again with Elvis. Name the globally known Neapolitan song,
> written in 1898 and popular with operatic tenors, that was
> appropriated in "It's Now or Never".

O Sole Mio

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare
>
> There are many phrases that are used in everyday modern English
> that William Shakespeare popularized. We will give you the play
> and a definition, you give us the phrase.
>
> 1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
> hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
> Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
> than fowl.

Wild Goose Chase

> 2. This expression, used to describe something old and worn, appears
> both in Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" and "As You Like It".
> It actually first appeared in the anonymous play "Sir Thomas
> More", which is often at least partially attributed to The Bard.
>
> 3. In "As You Like It", Act IV, Scene I, Orlando utters this promise
> of everlasting love when Rosalind asks him, "Now tell me how
> long you would have her after you possessed her".

Forever and a day

> 4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
> expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
> Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.

Off With Their Heads

> 5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
> when you do or say something to another person which you believe
> to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
> future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
> Also a Nick Lowe song title.
>
> 6. From "The Merchant of Venice", Act II, Scene VI, this expression
> means that we ignore or refuse to see our beloved's faults.

Seeing through Rose Colored Glasses

> 7. Something considered to be the perfect specimen, the ne plus
> ultra, this expression appears in "Macbeth", Act I, Scene VII.
>
> 8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
> or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
> It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.

Break the Ice

> 9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
> line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.

Knock knock

> 10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
> expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
> however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jul 23, 2019, 10:16:28 PM7/23/19
On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 5:37:47 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space
>
> On July 20, it will have been 50 years since Neil Armstrong botched
> that one line he had to memorize as the first words spoken from
> the surface of the Moon. Here's a round on the space race and NASA.
>
> 1. How did the residents of Perth, Australia, get John Glenn's
> attention during his historic flight on Friendship 7?

Turned all the lights on

> 2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
> 7 original Mercury astronauts?

38, 43

> 3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
> in the crew of a US spacecraft?

Canadian, Australian

> 4. What was significant about the mission to the Solar Max satellite
> by the space shuttle Challenger in 1984?
>
> 5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
> from what TV series was played?
>
> 6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
> as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
> space probe photograph in 1959?

Dark side of the moon

> 7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?
>
> 8. Before they changed it to LM, what did NASA's acronym LEM stand for?
>
> 9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
> the first man to golf on the Moon?

Glenn

> 10. The final moon mission in 1972 wasn't the end of Apollo.
> What Apollo good-will mission took place on July 17, 1975?
>

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music
>
> Because they're in the public domain, many pieces of classical
> music are "borrowed" in pop songs. We'll describe some music,
> both classical and contemporary, and ask about their connections.
> (In the original game, of course, you would have heard either the
> classical or the borrowed version. But I think at least some of
> the questions should be playable without the audio.)
>
> 1. Martini's "Plaisir d'amour" inspired which Elvis Presley song?

Wooden heart

> 2. Parts of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 were sampled for
> which song that was a chart hit for Céline Dion and Eric Carmen?

Hungry eyes

> 3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
> version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
> Name the original composer.

Beethoven

> 4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
> "Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
> Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
> an Oscar for this obvious thievery.
>
> 5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
> the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
> summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
> who lifted that music.

Williams, Morricone

> 6. Bach's "Minuet in G" was rearranged note-for-note for a 1965
> pop hit by the Toys. What was the song's name?
>
> 7. In the song "I Can" by Nas, name the classic that's being
> sampled on piano.
>
> 8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
> a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

Procol Harem

> 9. In the song "C U When You Get There", a classical piece is
> sampled in the background. Name the composer of that piece.

Mozart, Brahms

> 10. Again with Elvis. Name the globally known Neapolitan song,
> written in 1898 and popular with operatic tenors, that was
> appropriated in "It's Now or Never".

O sol o mio

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare
>
> There are many phrases that are used in everyday modern English
> that William Shakespeare popularized. We will give you the play
> and a definition, you give us the phrase.
>
> 1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
> hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
> Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
> than fowl.
>
> 2. This expression, used to describe something old and worn, appears
> both in Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" and "As You Like It".
> It actually first appeared in the anonymous play "Sir Thomas
> More", which is often at least partially attributed to The Bard.
>
> 3. In "As You Like It", Act IV, Scene I, Orlando utters this promise
> of everlasting love when Rosalind asks him, "Now tell me how
> long you would have her after you possessed her".

Forever and a day

> 4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
> expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
> Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.
>
> 5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
> when you do or say something to another person which you believe
> to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
> future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
> Also a Nick Lowe song title.
>
> 6. From "The Merchant of Venice", Act II, Scene VI, this expression
> means that we ignore or refuse to see our beloved's faults.
>
> 7. Something considered to be the perfect specimen, the ne plus
> ultra, this expression appears in "Macbeth", Act I, Scene VII.
>
> 8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
> or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
> It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.
>
> 9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
> line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.

Knock, Knock

> 10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
> expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
> however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

The game is afoot

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2019, 1:30:44 AM7/26/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-06-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.

Sorry, I was distracted yesterday. Here we go now.

> For further information see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Science - Stuff They Did in Space

> On July 20, it will have been 50 years since Neil Armstrong botched
> that one line he had to memorize as the first words spoken from
> the surface of the Moon. Here's a round on the space race and NASA.

> 1. How did the residents of Perth, Australia, get John Glenn's
> attention during his historic flight on Friendship 7?

They left every light in the city turned on overnight. Accepting
any reference to signaling with lights. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 2. Within 2, what was the announced maximum age limit for the
> 7 original Mercury astronauts?

40 (accepting 37-42). 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

I haven't found any definitive source that makes it clear whether
they had to be *under* 40 or *no older than* 40. I am therefore
accepting one extra year on the young side. The minimum age, by the
way, was 25, with a similar ambiguity; and the actual ages of the
selected astronauts at the time the selection was announced ranged
from 32 (Cooper) to 37 (Glenn).

> 3. What was the nationality of the first non-American to be included
> in the crew of a US spacecraft?

West German. "German" was sufficient. (Ulf Merbold, 1983.)

> 4. What was significant about the mission to the Solar Max satellite
> by the space shuttle Challenger in 1984?

It was the first satellite to be repaired while in orbit. And I
believe it was also the first mission to rendezvous with an unrelated
satellite in orbit, so: 4 for Dan Tilque (the hard way).

> 5. At the commissioning of the first US space shuttle, the theme
> from what TV series was played?

"Star Trek". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

The "first shuttle" was the Enterprise -- the one that never flew
in space. It was originally planned to be named the Constitution,
but after protests from "Star Trek" fans, the name Enterprise was
selected instead, and "Star Trek" was commemorated in other ways.

In the end, though, NASA realized that the orbiter fleet needed so
many changes to be flight-ready that it was more cost-effective to
modify the later shuttles already under construction than to upgrade
the Enterprise to the new design; so, although commissioned, it never
actually entered service.

> 6. In a Cold War space-race "first" that was almost as worrisome
> as Sputnik, what previously unseen celestial thing did a Russian
> space probe photograph in 1959?

The far side of the Moon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. What does EVA stand for, to astronauts?

Extra-Vehicular Activity. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 8. Before they changed it to LM, what did NASA's acronym LEM stand for?

Lunar Excursion Module. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Already famous for one space "first", which astronaut was then
> the first man to golf on the Moon?

Alan Shepard (also the first American in space). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. The final moon mission in 1972 wasn't the end of Apollo.
> What Apollo good-will mission took place on July 17, 1975?

The Apollo-Soyuz Test Project: docking and joint crew activities of
the last Apollo capsule and a Soviet Soyuz capsule. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 5 - Audio - Pop Songs and Classical Music

> Because they're in the public domain, many pieces of classical
> music are "borrowed" in pop songs. We'll describe some music,
> both classical and contemporary, and ask about their connections.
> (In the original game, of course, you would have heard either the
> classical or the borrowed version. But I think at least some of
> the questions should be playable without the audio.)

> 1. Martini's "Plaisir d'amour" inspired which Elvis Presley song?

"Can't Help Falling in Love". 4 for Pete.

> 2. Parts of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 were sampled for
> which song that was a chart hit for Céline Dion and Eric Carmen?

"All by Myself". 4 for Joshua.

> 3. The 1970s hit "Joy" by Apollo 100 is a note-for-note electronica
> version of one of classical music's most famous pieces.
> Name the original composer.

Johann Sebastian Bach. ("Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring".) "Bach"
was sufficient. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. A Canadian documentarian dodged paying rights to the theme from
> "Rocky" by using a classical piece called "15th Century Fanfare".
> Name the composer of the "Rocky" theme, who was nominated for
> an Oscar for this obvious thievery.

Bill Conti. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 5. Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" soundtrack was ripped off in 1975,
> the "Battle on the Ice" theme providing the musical basis for a
> summer blockbuster. Name the contemporary soundtrack composer
> who lifted that music.

John Williams. ("Jaws".) 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Calvin.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Bach's "Minuet in G" was rearranged note-for-note for a 1965
> pop hit by the Toys. What was the song's name?

"A Lover's Concerto". 4 for Joshua.

> 7. In the song "I Can" by Nas, name the classic that's being
> sampled on piano.

"Für Elise" (Beethoven.)

> 8. Bach's "Orchestral Suite in D" was one of the inspirations for
> a 1968 hit by a British band. Name the song *or* the band.

"Whiter Shade of Pale", Procol Harum. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> 9. In the song "C U When You Get There", a classical piece is
> sampled in the background. Name the composer of that piece.

Johann Pachelbel. ("Canon in D".)

> 10. Again with Elvis. Name the globally known Neapolitan song,
> written in 1898 and popular with operatic tenors, that was
> appropriated in "It's Now or Never".

"'O Sole Mio" (music by Eduardo di Capua and, according to a
posthumous court decision, Alfredo Mazzucchi). 4 for Joshua, Pete,
and Calvin.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Literature - Popularized by Shakespeare

> There are many phrases that are used in everyday modern English
> that William Shakespeare popularized. We will give you the play
> and a definition, you give us the phrase.

> 1. When Shakespeare used this expression -- meaning a foolish or
> hopeless pursuit of something unattainable -- in "Romeo and
> Juliet", Act II, Scene IV, it referred to a horse race rather
> than fowl.

Wild-goose chase. (Mercutio's line is: "Nay, if thy wits run the
wild-goose chase, I am done. For thou hast more of the wild-goose
in one of thy wits, than I am sure, I have in my whole five. Was I
with you there for the goose?") 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. This expression, used to describe something old and worn, appears
> both in Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" and "As You Like It".
> It actually first appeared in the anonymous play "Sir Thomas
> More", which is often at least partially attributed to The Bard.

Seen better days. (In "As You Like It", Duke Senior says: "True
is it that we have seen better days, and have with holy bell been
knoll'd to church, and sat at good men's feasts, and wip'd our eyes
of drops that sacred pity hath engend'red; and therefore sit you
down in gentleness, and take upon command what help we have that to
your wanting may be minist'red.")

> 3. In "As You Like It", Act IV, Scene I, Orlando utters this promise
> of everlasting love when Rosalind asks him, "Now tell me how
> long you would have her after you possessed her".

For ever and a day. (That's the complete line. But in reply,
Rosalind tells him to "Say 'a day' without the 'ever'".) 4 for Pete
and Calvin.

> 4. It is sometimes assumed that Lewis Carroll coined this famous
> expression of the Queen of Hearts, but it appears in
> Shakespeare's "Richard III", Act III, Scene IV.

Off with his head. I accepted the plural. (Gloucester: "If?
Thou protector of this damned strumpet, talk'st thou to me of ifs?
Thou art a traitor. Off with his head! Now by Saint Paul I swear
I will not dine until I see the same. Lovel and Ratcliff, look that
it be done.") 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. From "Hamlet", Act III, Scene IV, this is an expression used
> when you do or say something to another person which you believe
> to be for their own good, and will be helpful for them in the
> future, although it might be painful or hurtful at this moment.
> Also a Nick Lowe song title.

Cruel to be kind. (Hamlet, after killing Polonius: "For this same
lord I do repent; but heaven hath pleasd it so, to punish me with
this, and this with me, that I must be their scourge and minister.
I will bestow him, and will answer well the death I gave him.
So again, good night. I must be cruel, only to be kind: Thus bad
begins, and worse remains behind.") 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. From "The Merchant of Venice", Act II, Scene VI, this expression
> means that we ignore or refuse to see our beloved's faults.

Love is blind. (Jessica: "I am glad 'tis night, you do not look
on me, for I am much asham' of my exchange. But love is blind, and
lovers cannot see the pretty follies that themselves commit, for if
they could, Cupid himself would blush to see me thus transformed to
a boy.") 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 7. Something considered to be the perfect specimen, the ne plus
> ultra, this expression appears in "Macbeth", Act I, Scene VII.

Be-all and end-all. (Macbeth: "If it were done when 'tis done,
then 'twere well it were done quickly. If th' assassination could
trammel up the consequence, and catch with his surcease success; that
but this blow might be the be-all and the end-all-here, but here,
upon this bank and shoal of time, we'd jump the life to come.")

> 8. This chilly phrase, popularized by Shakespeare, means to do
> or say something to relieve tension or start a conversation.
> It appears in "The Taming of the Shrew", Act I, Scene II.

Break the ice. (Tranio: "If it be so, sir, that you are the man must
stead us all, and me amongst the rest; and if you break the ice,
and do this feat, achieve the elder, set the younger free for our
access, whose hap shall be to have her will not so graceless be to
be ingrate.") 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum (Dab), Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Uttered by the porter in "Macbeth", Act II, Scene III, this
> line is the opening line of too many children's and dad jokes.

Knock, knock, who's there? (The porter says, in part: "Knock,
knock, knock. Who's there, i' th' name of Belzebub? Here's a
farmer that hanged himself on the expectation of plenty: come
in time; have napkins enow about you; here you'll sweat for't.
Knock, knock! Who's there, i' th' other devil's name? Faith,
here's an equivocator, that could swear in both the scales against
either scale, who committed treason enough for God's sake, yet
could not equivocate to heaven: O, come in, equivocator. Knock,
knock, knock! Who's there? Faith, here's an English tailor come
hither, for stealing out of a French hose: come in, tailor; here
you may roast your goose.") 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Calvin.

> 10. Most people think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle coined this famous
> expression meaning that the process is underway. Shakespeare,
> however, used it first in "Henry V", Act III, Scene I.

The game's afoot. (King Henry: "For there is none of you so
mean and base, that hath not noble lustre in your eyes. I see
you stand like greyhounds in the slips, straining upon the start.
The game's afoot! Follow your spirit, and upon this charge cry,
"God for Harry! England and St. George!") 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Aud Lit THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 33 36 28 28 24 97
Pete Gayde 25 28 20 20 20 73
Dan Tilque 20 4 36 0 16 72
Dan Blum 21 20 16 2 24 65
"Calvin" 0 11 7 11 12 34

--
Mark Brader "Remember, this is Mark we're dealing with.
Toronto Rationality and fact won't work very well."