QFTCI16 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: Not US, degrees challenge

Mark Brader

Oct 4, 2016, 12:13:33 AM10/4/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy

1. In American football the player receiving a kick can protect
himself by signaling for a "fair catch", ending the play.
The rules in Canadian football instead provide a temporary
circular protective zone at the moment of the catch, and the
play continues afterwards. What's the name of the penalty when
an opponent fails to respect this zone around the receiver?

2. If the US Congress votes to terminate a debate and get on with
the main vote on something, they call it "cloture". What is
the term in our parliament?

3. Speaking of Congress, federal elections in the US are held
on the day after the first Monday in November, so their election
day varies from November 2 to November 8. In Canada the date
can be altered in some circumstances, but when it is ordinarily?
(By the way, so far we've only had one "ordinary" election since
the present rule was established.) *Either* state the rule,
or just give *any one* of the 7 dates normally possible.

4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
(for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
name the 6-letter range.

5. Different American states have different terms for their
prosecutors, but most commonly they are district attorneys.
What is the equivalent term here?

6. On an American highway you may see signs reading "RIGHT LANE
ENDS" or "LANE ENDS -- MERGE LEFT". Here those signs would be
graphical icons nowadays, but what wording was used in Ontario in
the old days when there was text? Hint: You may remember that
the right side of the yellow sign was vertical while the left
side was diagonal. Also, the wording was somewhat affectionate,
though perhaps not quite as affectionate as "MERGE". To repeat,
we want the equivalent of "RIGHT LANE ENDS" or "LANE ENDS --
MERGE LEFT". It's just two words.

7. In both the US and the Canadian navy, below an admiral the next
rank is vice-admiral. After that there are two more ranks
between vice-admiral and captain. In the US, we kid you not,
they are "rear admiral upper half" and "rear admiral lower
half". Name either rank between vice-admiral and captain in
the Canadian navy.

8. In the banking industry, an IRA ["Ira"] in the US corresponds
roughly to what in Canada?

9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
(They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
decimal form to within 2% of the true number.

** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round

This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
and, of course... Deodorant.

* A. Six Degrees of Separation

A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
Sidney Poitier's son.

A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

* B. Degrees in Academia

B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
S.T.D., what was your area of study?

B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
the level of a university, such as a community college or
vocational college?

* C. Degrees in Geometry

C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
or fraction of two numbers.

C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
the one that 360 is not divisible by?

* D. Degrees of Temperature

D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
was very similar to the one named after him that we use
today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

* E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude

E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
say "west".

* F. Deodorant

F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
years, when was it patented?

F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
rot13: Va gur 1950f "Ona" vagebqhprq gur ebyy-ba qrbqbenag
nccyvpngbe, jubfr qrirybczrag jnf vafcverq ol *jung bgure
vairagvba*? Pbvapvqragnyyl, gur vairagvba jr'er ybbxvat
sbe jnf nyfb svefg cngragrq va rvtugrra rvtugl-rvtug, gur
fnzr lrne nf "Zhz" qrbqbenag, ohg n pbzzrepvnyyl fhpprffshy
qrfvta qvq abg nccrne hagvy gur avargrra-guvegvrf.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "Able was I ere I saw Panama."

Dan Blum

Oct 4, 2016, 12:32:40 AM10/4/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy

> 2. If the US Congress votes to terminate a debate and get on with
> the main vote on something, they call it "cloture". What is
> the term in our parliament?

tabling

> 4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
> either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
> have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
> possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
> belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
> for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
> (for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
> block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
> name the 6-letter range.

K-P; M-R

> 6. On an American highway you may see signs reading "RIGHT LANE
> ENDS" or "LANE ENDS -- MERGE LEFT". Here those signs would be
> graphical icons nowadays, but what wording was used in Ontario in
> the old days when there was text? Hint: You may remember that
> the right side of the yellow sign was vertical while the left
> side was diagonal. Also, the wording was somewhat affectionate,
> though perhaps not quite as affectionate as "MERGE". To repeat,
> we want the equivalent of "RIGHT LANE ENDS" or "LANE ENDS --
> MERGE LEFT". It's just two words.

JOIN AHEAD

> 7. In both the US and the Canadian navy, below an admiral the next
> rank is vice-admiral. After that there are two more ranks
> between vice-admiral and captain. In the US, we kid you not,
> they are "rear admiral upper half" and "rear admiral lower
> half". Name either rank between vice-admiral and captain in
> the Canadian navy.

rear admiral

There is a rational explanation for the US ranks. Not a GOOD one, maybe,
but a rational one.

> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

0.77

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round

> * A. Six Degrees of Separation

> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

Kevin Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia

> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?

theology

> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

associate degree

> * C. Degrees in Geometry

> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.

57

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature

> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

0 was the boiling point of water and 100 the freezing point

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude

> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2?? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

45 degrees; 50 degrees
Alewife MBTA Station, Cambridge MA, USA

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4?; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

12; 21

> * F. Deodorant

> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1888

> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: Va gur 1950f "Ona" vagebqhprq gur ebyy-ba qrbqbenag
> nccyvpngbe, jubfr qrirybczrag jnf vafcverq ol *jung bgure
> vairagvba*? Pbvapvqragnyyl, gur vairagvba jr'er ybbxvat
> sbe jnf nyfb svefg cngragrq va rvtugrra rvtugl-rvtug, gur
> fnzr lrne nf "Zhz" qrbqbenag, ohg n pbzzrepvnyyl fhpprffshy
> qrfvta qvq abg nccrne hagvy gur avargrra-guvegvrf.

ball-point pen

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Oct 4, 2016, 12:59:02 AM10/4/16
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 2:13:33 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy
>
> 1. In American football the player receiving a kick can protect
> himself by signaling for a "fair catch", ending the play.
> The rules in Canadian football instead provide a temporary
> circular protective zone at the moment of the catch, and the
> play continues afterwards. What's the name of the penalty when
> an opponent fails to respect this zone around the receiver?

Encroaching, offside

> 2. If the US Congress votes to terminate a debate and get on with
> the main vote on something, they call it "cloture". What is
> the term in our parliament?

Guillotine

> 3. Speaking of Congress, federal elections in the US are held
> on the day after the first Monday in November, so their election
> day varies from November 2 to November 8. In Canada the date
> can be altered in some circumstances, but when it is ordinarily?
> (By the way, so far we've only had one "ordinary" election since
> the present rule was established.) *Either* state the rule,
> or just give *any one* of the 7 dates normally possible.
>
> 4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
> either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
> have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
> possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
> belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
> for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
> (for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
> block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
> name the 6-letter range.
>
> 5. Different American states have different terms for their
> prosecutors, but most commonly they are district attorneys.
> What is the equivalent term here?

Public prosecutor

> 6. On an American highway you may see signs reading "RIGHT LANE
> ENDS" or "LANE ENDS -- MERGE LEFT". Here those signs would be
> graphical icons nowadays, but what wording was used in Ontario in
> the old days when there was text? Hint: You may remember that
> the right side of the yellow sign was vertical while the left
> side was diagonal. Also, the wording was somewhat affectionate,
> though perhaps not quite as affectionate as "MERGE". To repeat,
> we want the equivalent of "RIGHT LANE ENDS" or "LANE ENDS --
> MERGE LEFT". It's just two words.
>
> 7. In both the US and the Canadian navy, below an admiral the next
> rank is vice-admiral. After that there are two more ranks
> between vice-admiral and captain. In the US, we kid you not,
> they are "rear admiral upper half" and "rear admiral lower
> half". Name either rank between vice-admiral and captain in
> the Canadian navy.

Commodore, Commander

> 8. In the banking industry, an IRA ["Ira"] in the US corresponds
> roughly to what in Canada?

Tax audit

> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.

95, 90

> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.
>
> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?
>
> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

Associate Degree, Associate Diploma

3

> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?
>
> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

Brisbane GPO = 27 degrees south

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".
>
> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1890, 1911

> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: Va gur 1950f "Ona" vagebqhprq gur ebyy-ba qrbqbenag
> nccyvpngbe, jubfr qrirybczrag jnf vafcverq ol *jung bgure
> vairagvba*? Pbvapvqragnyyl, gur vairagvba jr'er ybbxvat
> sbe jnf nyfb svefg cngragrq va rvtugrra rvtugl-rvtug, gur
> fnzr lrne nf "Zhz" qrbqbenag, ohg n pbzzrepvnyyl fhpprffshy
> qrfvta qvq abg nccrne hagvy gur avargrra-guvegvrf.

Ball point pen

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 4, 2016, 3:03:00 AM10/4/16
In article <MuqdnZPQwsT1sW7K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.
Stockard Channing

> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.
Kevin Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?
>
> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?
associate degree

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.
pi/360

> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?
7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?
0 = boiling point of water and 100 = freezing point

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?
-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.
>
> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".
>
> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?
1926

> F2. In the 1950s "Ban" introduced the roll-on deodorant
> applicator, whose development was inspired by *what other
> invention*? Coincidentally, the invention we're looking
> for was also first patented in eighteen eighty-eight, the
> same year as "Mum" deodorant, but a commercially successful
> design did not appear until the nineteen-thirties.
ball point pen

Peter Smyth

Oct 4, 2016, 9:23:42 AM10/4/16
Closure
> 3. Speaking of Congress, federal elections in the US are held
> on the day after the first Monday in November, so their election
> day varies from November 2 to November 8. In Canada the date
> can be altered in some circumstances, but when it is ordinarily?
> (By the way, so far we've only had one "ordinary" election since
> the present rule was established.) Either state the rule,
> or just give *any one* of the 7 dates normally possible.
>
> 4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
> either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
> have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
> possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
> belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
> for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
> (for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
> block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
> name the 6-letter range.
>
> 5. Different American states have different terms for their
> prosecutors, but most commonly they are district attorneys.
> What is the equivalent term here?
Crown Prosecutor
> 6. On an American highway you may see signs reading "RIGHT LANE
> ENDS" or "LANE ENDS -- MERGE LEFT". Here those signs would be
> graphical icons nowadays, but what wording was used in Ontario in
> the old days when there was text? Hint: You may remember that
> the right side of the yellow sign was vertical while the left
> side was diagonal. Also, the wording was somewhat affectionate,
> though perhaps not quite as affectionate as "MERGE". To repeat,
> we want the equivalent of "RIGHT LANE ENDS" or "LANE ENDS --
> MERGE LEFT". It's just two words.
>
> 7. In both the US and the Canadian navy, below an admiral the next
> rank is vice-admiral. After that there are two more ranks
> between vice-admiral and captain. In the US, we kid you not,
> they are "rear admiral upper half" and "rear admiral lower
> half". Name either rank between vice-admiral and captain in
> the Canadian navy.
Commodore
> 8. In the banking industry, an IRA ["Ira"] in the US corresponds
> roughly to what in Canada?
Retirement Fund
> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before you post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)
1.15
> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.
1.10

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the actress in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.
>
> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.
Kevin Bacon
> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?
Theology
> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?
>
> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can either give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.
180 / Pi
> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?
7
> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?
>
> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?
-40
> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your latitude, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.
Can I pretend to be at the North Pole?

If not, 52 N, High Barnet tube station, London
> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its longitude, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".
52
> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?
1920
> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: In the 1950s "Ban" introduced the roll-on deodorant
> applicator, whose development was inspired by *what other
> invention*? Coincidentally, the invention we're looking
> for was also first patented in eighteen eighty-eight, the
> same year as "Mum" deodorant, but a commercially successful
> design did not appear until the nineteen-thirties.
Ballpoint pen

Peter Smyth

bbowler

Oct 4, 2016, 10:26:02 AM10/4/16
On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:13:28 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now,
> Buddy

nope,

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.
>
> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to link him
> to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a charitable
> organization named SixDegrees.org.

Kevin Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole degree
> in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated S.T.D., what was
> your area of study?

Theology

> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below the
> level of a university, such as a community college or vocational
> college?

Associates Degree

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians and
> other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest integer,
> or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio or fraction of
> two numbers.

180/pi degrees per radian

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use today,
> but with one essential difference. What was it?

it was "backwards" (100 = freezing point of water, 0 = boiling point of
water)

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where you
> are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not even be
> Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll also have to
> *tell me where you are*. If you don't want to post an exact
> address, please specify unambiguously the nearest major
> intersection -- or other landmark -- to where you are (for
> example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto, Canada") and I'll
> score the answer as if you were there.

44, Pleasant Cove Road and Back Narrows Road, Boothbay, ME, USA

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to say
> "west".

52

> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1860

> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: Va gur 1950f "Ona" vagebqhprq gur ebyy-ba qrbqbenag
> nccyvpngbe, jubfr qrirybczrag jnf vafcverq ol *jung bgure
> vairagvba*? Pbvapvqragnyyl, gur vairagvba jr'er ybbxvat sbe jnf
> nyfb svefg cngragrq va rvtugrra rvtugl-rvtug, gur fnzr lrne nf
> "Zhz" qrbqbenag, ohg n pbzzrepvnyyl fhpprffshy qrfvta qvq abg
> nccrne hagvy gur avargrra-guvegvrf.

Ball point pen

Pete

Oct 4, 2016, 11:40:30 AM10/4/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:MuqdnZPQwsT1sW7KnZ2dnUU7-
KvN...@giganews.com:
H-M; K-P
1.1; 1.15

> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.

1.1; 1.2

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.
>
> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

Kevin Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?
>
> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

Associates degree

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.
>
> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?
>
> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

34 degrees; 39 degrees (Bailey and Modaff, Naperville, Illinois)

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

18; 27

> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1890; 1911

> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: Va gur 1950f "Ona" vagebqhprq gur ebyy-ba qrbqbenag
> nccyvpngbe, jubfr qrirybczrag jnf vafcverq ol *jung bgure
> vairagvba*? Pbvapvqragnyyl, gur vairagvba jr'er ybbxvat
> sbe jnf nyfb svefg cngragrq va rvtugrra rvtugl-rvtug, gur
> fnzr lrne nf "Zhz" qrbqbenag, ohg n pbzzrepvnyyl fhpprffshy
> qrfvta qvq abg nccrne hagvy gur avargrra-guvegvrf.

Ball point pen

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 4, 2016, 2:59:00 PM10/4/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy
> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

1.32

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

Bachelor

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.

180/pi

> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

100 the freezing point and zero the boiling point of water.

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

60°N (well, slightly south of if memory serves). The nearest intersection
from where I sit is between Norrbackagatan and Rörstrandsgatan. And,
yes, that is in Stockholm.

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

35

> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1912

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 4, 2016, 8:41:00 PM10/4/16

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now,
> Buddy
>
> 4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
> either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
> have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
> possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
> belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
> for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
> (for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
> block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
> name the 6-letter range.

H through M

> 5. Different American states have different terms for their
> prosecutors, but most commonly they are district attorneys.
> What is the equivalent term here?

crown attorney

> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

1.01

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.

Stockard Channing

> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

Kevin Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?

sacred theology

> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

associate's degree

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

it was reversed (100 meant freezing point of water, 0 meant boiling
point of water)

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

49 degrees -- on the border betweeen Alberta and Montana (actually, I'm
not really there, don't know my own latitude and don't want to post my
address, so if you don't want to count that as a proper answer, you
don't have to)

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

70 degrees

> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1908

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Oct 4, 2016, 9:01:39 PM10/4/16
Joshua Kreitzer:
> 49 degrees -- on the border betweeen Alberta and Montana (actually, I'm
> not really there... and don't want to post my address...

This is why you were given an option not to post it.

> so if you don't want to count that as a proper answer...

Of course it's not. In addition to not being there, you didn't name a place.
--
Mark Brader | "But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, econ-
Toronto | omists, and calculators, has succeeded; and the glory of

Dan Tilque

Oct 4, 2016, 11:08:04 PM10/4/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy
>
> 1. In American football the player receiving a kick can protect
> himself by signaling for a "fair catch", ending the play.
> The rules in Canadian football instead provide a temporary
> circular protective zone at the moment of the catch, and the
> play continues afterwards. What's the name of the penalty when
> an opponent fails to respect this zone around the receiver?
>
> 2. If the US Congress votes to terminate a debate and get on with
> the main vote on something, they call it "cloture". What is
> the term in our parliament?
>
> 3. Speaking of Congress, federal elections in the US are held
> on the day after the first Monday in November, so their election
> day varies from November 2 to November 8. In Canada the date
> can be altered in some circumstances, but when it is ordinarily?
> (By the way, so far we've only had one "ordinary" election since
> the present rule was established.) *Either* state the rule,
> or just give *any one* of the 7 dates normally possible.

first Monday in June

> 4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
> either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
> have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
> possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
> belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
> for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
> (for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
> block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
> name the 6-letter range.

U-Z

> 5. Different American states have different terms for their
> prosecutors, but most commonly they are district attorneys.
> What is the equivalent term here?

crown attorney

> 6. On an American highway you may see signs reading "RIGHT LANE
> ENDS" or "LANE ENDS -- MERGE LEFT". Here those signs would be
> graphical icons nowadays, but what wording was used in Ontario in
> the old days when there was text? Hint: You may remember that
> the right side of the yellow sign was vertical while the left
> side was diagonal. Also, the wording was somewhat affectionate,
> though perhaps not quite as affectionate as "MERGE". To repeat,
> we want the equivalent of "RIGHT LANE ENDS" or "LANE ENDS --
> MERGE LEFT". It's just two words.
>
> 7. In both the US and the Canadian navy, below an admiral the next
> rank is vice-admiral. After that there are two more ranks
> between vice-admiral and captain. In the US, we kid you not,
> they are "rear admiral upper half" and "rear admiral lower
> half". Name either rank between vice-admiral and captain in
> the Canadian navy.

commadore

> 8. In the banking industry, an IRA ["Ira"] in the US corresponds
> roughly to what in Canada?
>
> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

CAN$ = .93 USD

> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.

Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>
> * A. Six Degrees of Separation
>
> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.
>
> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

Kevin Bacon

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?

theology

> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

Associate degree (either Associate of Arts or of Science, depending)

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.

180/pi

> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

it was reversed, with 0 as boiling point and 100 as freezing point.

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

45.5 degrees north

SW Murray Blvd & SW Farmington Rd, Beaverton OR USA

(and my latitude is definitely Canadiana, since it goes through or near
Ottawa and Montreal.)

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

53 degrees west

> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1923

> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: Va gur 1950f "Ona" vagebqhprq gur ebyy-ba qrbqbenag
> nccyvpngbe, jubfr qrirybczrag jnf vafcverq ol *jung bgure
> vairagvba*? Pbvapvqragnyyl, gur vairagvba jr'er ybbxvat
> sbe jnf nyfb svefg cngragrq va rvtugrra rvtugl-rvtug, gur
> fnzr lrne nf "Zhz" qrbqbenag, ohg n pbzzrepvnyyl fhpprffshy
> qrfvta qvq abg nccrne hagvy gur avargrra-guvegvrf.

ball point pen

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 4, 2016, 11:54:02 PM10/4/16
Kevin Bacon
> * B. Degrees in Academia
>
> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?
Theology
> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?
Associates
> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.
>
> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?
7
> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?
>
> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?
-40

Björn Lundin

Oct 6, 2016, 2:27:43 PM10/6/16
On 2016-10-04 06:13, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>
> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy
>

> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

25%

> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.

1 us gallon is 3.78 liters, and an imperial one is 4.55 liters,
so it must be 3.78/4.55
Is the calculator cheating here ? if not I'll answer 83,1 %
if it is cheating I'll stop at 3.78/4.55 and leave the calculation to you

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round
>
> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.
>

> * B. Degrees in Academia
>

> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?
Bachelor degree?

> * C. Degrees in Geometry
>
> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.

180/pi

> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7

> * D. Degrees of Temperature
>
> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

It was reversed, 0 for waters boiling and 100 for its freezing temperature

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40 (As I once heard "40 below is always 40 below")

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude
>
> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

55 degrees north.
I am in Lund, Sweden, Frejavägen 4a
(50 km east of Copenhagen, Denmark)

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

45

> * F. Deodorant
>
> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1920

Björn

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2016, 12:38:52 AM10/7/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the Canadiana. I was also the one who suggested the exact
form of challenge pair E.

> * Game 8, Round 9 - Canadiana - You Ain't in the United States Now, Buddy

> 1. In American football the player receiving a kick can protect
> himself by signaling for a "fair catch", ending the play.
> The rules in Canadian football instead provide a temporary
> circular protective zone at the moment of the catch, and the
> play continues afterwards. What's the name of the penalty when
> an opponent fails to respect this zone around the receiver?

No yards.

> 2. If the US Congress votes to terminate a debate and get on with
> the main vote on something, they call it "cloture". What is
> the term in our parliament?

Closure. 4 for Peter.

> 3. Speaking of Congress, federal elections in the US are held
> on the day after the first Monday in November, so their election
> day varies from November 2 to November 8. In Canada the date
> can be altered in some circumstances, but when it is ordinarily?
> (By the way, so far we've only had one "ordinary" election since
> the present rule was established.) *Either* state the rule,
> or just give *any one* of the 7 dates normally possible.

October 15 to 21 -- third Monday in October, i.e. one week after
Thanksgiving.

The minority Conservative government under Harper passed a law in 2007
calling for elections every 4 years in order to "prevent governments
from calling snap elections for short-term political advantage".
The following year they decided they could gain some short-term
political advantage by having a snap election, so they asked the
Governor-General to call one. They were reelected to another
minority, which was ended by a vote of no confidence in 2011, so
we had another off-schedule election. The first actual fixed-date
election was in 2015.

> 4. The call letters for commercial radio and TV stations start with
> either K or W in different parts of the US. Canadian stations
> have call letters starting with C, but there are only 6
> possibilities for the second letter. One is B, which actually
> belongs to Chile, but the CBC negotiated permission to use it
> for some stations, such as CBLT. The other 5 possibilities
> (for the letter after the initial C) fall within a consecutive
> block of 6 letters of the alphabet. Name the 5 letters or just
> name the 6-letter range.

F, H, I, J, K (or accepting F-K). (Toronto examples: CFTO, CHFI,
CIUT, CJRT, CKEY.)

> 5. Different American states have different terms for their
> prosecutors, but most commonly they are district attorneys.
> What is the equivalent term here?

Crown attorney. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 6. On an American highway you may see signs reading "RIGHT LANE
> ENDS" or "LANE ENDS -- MERGE LEFT". Here those signs would be
> graphical icons nowadays, but what wording was used in Ontario in
> the old days when there was text? Hint: You may remember that
> the right side of the yellow sign was vertical while the left
> side was diagonal. Also, the wording was somewhat affectionate,
> though perhaps not quite as affectionate as "MERGE". To repeat,
> we want the equivalent of "RIGHT LANE ENDS" or "LANE ENDS --
> MERGE LEFT". It's just two words.

SQUEEZE LEFT.

See: http://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7069/6887925955_d45d0d85ea.jpg

It seems that the word SQUEEZE is not quite as obsolete was I thought
when I wrote the question. After the original game, one of the
players told me where they thought a SQUEEZE LEFT sign still survives.
That one actually turns out to be a late variant with only one word:

http://www.qsview.com/@43.638032,-79.400753,-52.15h,2.33p,2.32z

But on my way out of town a few days later I spotted a surviving
SQUEEZE RIGHT sign myself:

http://www.qsview.com/@43.646667,-79.402658,-115.81h,1.7p,2.32z

> 7. In both the US and the Canadian navy, below an admiral the next
> rank is vice-admiral. After that there are two more ranks
> between vice-admiral and captain. In the US, we kid you not,
> they are "rear admiral upper half" and "rear admiral lower
> half". Name either rank between vice-admiral and captain in
> the Canadian navy.

Rear admiral, commodore. (Exact answer required.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Peter, and Don Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

("Commodore" also came up the week before the original game on
"Jeopardy!"! As they noted on 2016-07-15, the US navy formerly also
had the rank of commodore, but not any more -- but "it lives on as
the presiding officer. of a yacht club".).

> 8. In the banking industry, an IRA ["Ira"] in the US corresponds
> roughly to what in Canada?

RRSP (accepting RSP). "Retirement fund" was not specific enough.

> 9. Speaking of money, give the exchange rate between Canadian
> and US dollars in either direction -- you don't need to say which
> direction -- within 2% of the true number (i.e. approximately
> within 2 cents). For purposes of this question the "true
> number" is the *most recent* daily closing rate reported on
> the Bank of Canada web site before *you* post your answer.
> (They post it at 4:30 pm Ottawa time, zone -4, each business day,
> and I will take the Date line on your posting as accurate.)

Close date 1 USD -> CAD (accepting) 1 CAD -> USD (accepting)
2016-10-03 1.3110 (1.28478-1.33722) 0.7628 (0.74752-0.77803)
2016-10-04 1.3194 (1.29301-1.34579) 0.7579 (0.74276-0.77308)
2016-10-05 1.3182 (1.29184-1.34456) 0.7586 (0.74344-0.77378)
2016-10-06 1.3213 (1.29487-1.34773) 0.7568 (0.74169-0.77197)

4 for Dan Blum and Erland. 3 for Björn (see note).

While it's still current, see:
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-closing-past-five-day/

In the original game, the "true number" was the closing rate on
2016-07-08, which was 1.3040, or the other way, 0.7669. (So we
accepted 1.27792 to 1.33008, or 0.75156 to 0.78224).

Note: While banks are not likely to do this, exchange rates are
sometimes quoted as a percentage to be added or subtracted rather
than a factor to be multiplied or divided. So an exchange rate of
either 1.25 or 0.75 could be referred to as 25%. (This practice was
more common when the rate was closer to par.) However, since 1.25
corresponds to 0.8 the other way and 0.75 corresponds to 1.3333,
25% could also translate to those numbers. Björn said "25%"
rather than giving a proper exchange rate such as shown at the
specified reference; because of the ambiguity, this is similar to
making two guesses. Since 0.75 was within the acceptable range,
I decided to accept this answer for 3 points but not for 4.

> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.

1.20095 (accepting 1.1769 to 1.225); 0.83267 (accepting 0.816
to 0.8493). 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

The Imperial gallon contains 1.25 times as many fluid ounces as the
US gallon, but the US fluid ounces are larger by about 4%.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Six Degrees of Challenge Round

> This is the Six Degrees of Challenge Round. Your categories are:
> Six Degrees of Separation, Degrees in Academia, Degrees in Geometry,
> Degrees of Temperature, Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude,
> and, of course... Deodorant.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> * A. Six Degrees of Separation

> A1. Name the *actress* in the 1993 film "Six Degrees of
> Separation" who plays one of the couple that Will Smith's
> character cons into thinking, among other things, that he's
> Sidney Poitier's son.

Stockard Channing. 4 for Marc and Joshua.

> A2. Which actor has been at the centre of an informal trivia
> game based on the "six degrees" concept that attempts to
> link him to arbitrary actors? He eventually started a
> charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.

Kevin Bacon. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc, Peter, Bruce, Pete,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

> * B. Degrees in Academia

> B1. It's well-known that some people go to university and come
> back with an STD. But it takes real effort to get a whole
> degree in that subject. If your degree is abbreviated
> S.T.D., what was your area of study?

Theology. (Accepting "religion" or "divinity". It's a "Sacrae
Theologiae Doctor", or Doctor of Sacred Theology.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Peter, Bruce, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

> B2. What is the term, used primarily in the United States,
> for a 2-year degree, usually attained at an institution below
> the level of a university, such as a community college or
> vocational college?

Associate's degree. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc, Bruce, Pete,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

> * C. Degrees in Geometry

> C1. Radians rather than degrees are the official SI unit for
> angles, though degrees are just fine, even for mathematicians
> and other boffins. Tell us how many degrees are in a radian.
> You can *either* give the value rounded to the nearest
> integer, or else tell us exactly, expressed as the ratio
> or fraction of two numbers.

Rounded: 57. Exactly: 180/pi. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Bruce, Erland,
Dan Tilque, and Björn.

> C2. The circle has been divided into 360 degrees for
> thousands of years, though the motivation for this is
> unclear. One explanation is the convenient fact that
> 360 is divisible (without remainder) by *all but one* of
> the integers from 1 to 10. Which one is the exception --
> the one that 360 is not divisible by?

7, duh. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc, Peter, Bruce,
Pete, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Björn.

> * D. Degrees of Temperature

> D1. Anders Celsius in 1742 designed a temperature scale that
> was very similar to the one named after him that we use
> today, but with one essential difference. What was it?

The scale was reversed -- 0° for boiling and 100° for freezing.
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Björn.

> D2. In the Celsius scale that we use, what temperature has the
> same numerical value as it would in Fahrenheit?

-40°. 4 for everyone.

> * E. Degrees of Canadian Latitude and Longitude

> E1. What is your *latitude*, within 2°? You may omit "north"
> or "south", but unlike the original game, I won't know where
> you are. (Why, for some contestants this question might not
> even be Canadiana!) So as well as your latitude, you'll
> also have to *tell me where you are*. If you don't want
> to post an exact address, please specify unambiguously the
> nearest major intersection -- or other landmark -- to where
> you are (for example: "Yonge St. and Eglinton Av., Toronto,
> Canada") and I'll score the answer as if you were there.

In the original game, although we expected entrants to always answer
in whole degrees, just for fun we gave the different exact answers
for each pub where our games were played that night:

Pub: Exact: So we accepted: Or in decimals:
Artful Dodger 43°40'5" N 41°40'5" to 45°40'5" 41.6680° to 45.6681°.
Bedford Academy 43°40'10" N 41°40'10" to 45°40'10" 41.6694° to 45.6695°.
Duke of Gloucester 43°40'5" N 41°40'5" to 45°40'5" 41.6680° to 45.6681°.
Fox & Fiddle 43°40'3" N 41°40'3" to 45°40'3" 41.6674° to 45.6675°.
Tranzac 43°39'55" N 41°39'55" to 45°39'55" 41.6652° to 45.6653°.

So I'll do the same for people posting here:

Entrant: Exact: So I accepted: Or in decimals:
Dan Blum 42°23'45" N 40°23'45" to 44°23'45" 40.3954° to 44.3955°
Calvin 27°28'5" S 25°28'5" to 29°28'5" 25.4678° to 29.4679°
Peter 51°39'0" N 49°39'0" to 53°39'0" 49.6504° to 53.6505°
Bruce 43°54'10" N 41°54'10" to 45°54'10" 41.9025° to 45.9026°
Pete 41°44'25" N 39°44'25" to 43°44'25" 39.7406° to 43.7407°
Erland 59°20'25" N 57°20'25" to 61°20'25" 57.3406° to 61.3407°
Dan Tilque 45°29'10" N 43°29'10" to 47°29'10" 43.4858° to 47.4859°
Björn 55°41'5" N 53°41'5" to 57°41'5" 53.6842° to 57.6843°

("Exact" answers are actually rounded to the nearest multiple of 5".)

4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Björn.

> E2. The easternmost point in Canada, and in North America outside
> of Greenland, is Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador.
> Give its *longitude*, within 4°; again, you don't need to
> say "west".

52°37'10" (accepting 48°37'10" to 56°37'10" or 48.6194 to 56.6195°).
4 for Peter, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. Deodorant

> F1. The first deodorant had the brand name "Mum". Within 10
> years, when was it patented?

1888 (accepting 1878-98) -- as mentioned in a posting in a thread
in alt.usage.english (and two other newsgroups) about words like
"armpit" and "underarm", just about 24 hours before I posted the
questions here. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Calvin and Pete.

> F2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the
> rot13: In the 1950s "Ban" introduced the roll-on deodorant

(As mentioned in the same alt.usage.english posting.)

> applicator, whose development was inspired by *what other
> invention*? Coincidentally, the invention we're looking
> for was also first patented in eighteen eighty-eight, the
> same year as "Mum" deodorant, but a commercially successful
> design did not appear until the nineteen-thirties.

Ballpoint pen. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc, Peter, Bruce, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Spo Lit Geo Sci Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 16 32 28 32 36 16 4 28 172
Stephen Perry 40 40 -- -- 36 36 -- -- 152
Dan Blum 23 12 4 20 36 24 8 36 151
Dan Tilque 32 8 16 0 32 12 12 40 144
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 16 4 12 20 0 28 116
"Calvin" 22 4 15 8 27 11 3 27 110
Pete Gayde 11 20 24 0 28 4 2 23 110
Peter Smyth 12 17 0 8 32 8 8 32 109
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 16 24 0 40 80
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 0 4 28 4 4 20 72
Björn Lundin 16 8 0 0 -- -- 3 20 47
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- 0 8 0 20 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
m...@vex.net but I find that hard to believe."

Björn Lundin

Oct 7, 2016, 4:40:22 AM10/7/16
On 2016-10-07 06:38, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 10. Same question for gallons. Either tell how many US gallons
>> are in a Canadian (or Imperial) gallon, or the reverse. Again,
>> you don't need to say which; but you must give your answer in
>> decimal form to within 2% of the true number.
>
> 1.20095 (accepting 1.1769 to 1.225); 0.83267 (accepting 0.816
> to 0.8493). 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.
>
> The Imperial gallon contains 1.25 times as many fluid ounces as the
> US gallon, but the US fluid ounces are larger by about 4%.

1 us gallon is 3.78 liters, and an imperial one is 4.55 liters,
so it must be 3.78/4.55
Is the calculator cheating here ? if not I'll answer 83,1 %
if it is cheating I'll stop at 3.78/4.55 and leave the calculation to you

> Björn Lundin 16 8 0 0 -- -- 3 20 47

81.6 < 83.1 < 84.9
Was using the calculator cheating ?
If not I think I should have scored 7 points instead in round 9

Björn

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2016, 4:49:45 AM10/7/16
Björn Lundin:
> Was using the calculator cheating ?

"Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
based only on your own knowledge."
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I tried reading a book on Zeno, but
m...@vex.net I only got halfway." --Lee Ayrton