QFTCI16 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Alexander, genius TV

Mark Brader

Sep 24, 2016, 2:33:32 PM9/24/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great

Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.

1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
his name? You don't need to provide his number.

2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
(<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.

3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
annotated by <answer 3> himself?

5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
named after him.

6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
with himself as hegemon, or president?

7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?

8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
in 331 BC?

9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
conquest is located in which country today?

10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

* Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV

This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.

1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.

2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
spelled? Exact answer required.

3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.

4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
Bar travhf vfa'g rabhtu sbe "Fpbecvba"; Jnygre B'Oevra yrnqf
n grnz jvgu guerr bgure travhfrf. Fgnegvat jvgu gur svefg
rcvfbqr, gurl ner wbvarq ol bar aba-travhf, Cnvtr Qvarra,
jub hagvy gura jnf jbexvat nf n jnvgerff. Cnvtr vf cynlrq
ol n fvatre naq npgerff jub svefg pnzr gb choyvp nggragvba ol
svavfuvat frpbaq ba "Nzrevpna Vqby". Anzr gung cresbezre.

5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
What was the character's first name?

6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?

7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)

8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
(Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
last name of the character.)

9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
"14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
required*.

10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
Jub cynlrq Qbbtvr Ubjfre?

--
Mark Brader | "Oh, especially if it's accurate. There's nothing worse
Toronto | than *accurate*, ill-informed, irresponsible press

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 24, 2016, 4:41:55 PM9/24/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.

Xantippa

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Artistotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

Platon's "The State"?

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

General (Or is that a too general answer?)

> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?

Athens

> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Cyrus

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

Pakistan

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Egypt

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV

Nope, nothing I'm a genius in.

Peter Smyth

Sep 24, 2016, 5:00:48 PM9/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought he was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.
Phillip
> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.
>
> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?
>
> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?
>
> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.
His Horse
> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?
>
> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?
>
> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?
>
> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?
India
> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.
Iran

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.
>
> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.
Numb3r5, Num8er5
> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.
>
> 4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> One genius isn't enough for "Scorpion"; Walter O'Brien leads
> a team with three other geniuses. Starting with the first
> episode, they are joined by one non-genius, Paige Dineen,
> who until then was working as a waitress. Paige is played
> by a singer and actress who first came to public attention by
> finishing second on "American Idol". Name that performer.
>
> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?
Gregory
> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?
Vicodin
> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)
Hot Dense State
> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)
Bernadette, Amy
> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.
>
> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Who played Doogie Howser?

Peter Smyth

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 24, 2016, 6:20:56 PM9/24/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:n92dnSRTZP5qW3vKnZ2dnUU7-
XfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Aristotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

The Iliad

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

horse

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

Afghanistan

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Iran

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.

Morrow

> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

NUMB3RS

> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.

"Scorpion"

> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?

Gregory

> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?

morphine (?)

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)

hot dense state

> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)

Mayim Bialik
(comment: Bialik's Ph.D. is in neuroscience, while Amy Fowler's is in
neurobiology -- related fields, but not the same field)

> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.

Doogie

> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Jub cynlrq Qbbtvr Ubjfre?

Neil Patrick Harris

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 24, 2016, 11:52:12 PM9/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.

Olympia

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Aristotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

Iliad

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

Alexander's horse

> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?

Hellenic League

> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?
>
> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Darius

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

Pakistan

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Iraq

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.
>
> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

Numb3rs
Doogie

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 25, 2016, 3:44:25 AM9/25/16
In article <n92dnSRTZP5qW3vK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.
Philip

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.
>
> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?
Aristotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?
>
> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.
>
> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?
>
> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?
>
> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?
Darius

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?
India

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.
Iraq

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.
Judd Hirsch

> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.
Numb3rs

> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.
>
> 4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Bar travhf vfa'g rabhtu sbe "Fpbecvba"; Jnygre B'Oevra yrnqf
> n grnz jvgu guerr bgure travhfrf. Fgnegvat jvgu gur svefg
> rcvfbqr, gurl ner wbvarq ol bar aba-travhf, Cnvtr Qvarra,
> jub hagvy gura jnf jbexvat nf n jnvgerff. Cnvtr vf cynlrq
> ol n fvatre naq npgerff jub svefg pnzr gb choyvp nggragvba ol
> svavfuvat frpbaq ba "Nzrevpna Vqby". Anzr gung cresbezre.
>
> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?
Gregory

> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?
oxycodone

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)
>
> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)
>
> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.
Doogie Howser

> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Jub cynlrq Qbbtvr Ubjfre?
Neil Patrick Harris

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2016, 4:03:47 AM9/25/16
Joshua Kreitzer:
> (comment: Bialik's Ph.D. is in neuroscience, while Amy Fowler's is in
> neurobiology -- related fields, but not the same field)

At most, two subfields of the same field.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "'Other than they typo'? Oh, the irony!"
m...@vex.net | --Stan Brown

Björn Lundin

Sep 25, 2016, 7:25:40 AM9/25/16
On 2016-09-24 20:33, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.
>
> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?
Aristotoles

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?
>
> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.
>
> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?
>
> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?
>
> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Darius IV

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

India

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Iran

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.
>
> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.
>
> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.
>
> 4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Bar travhf vfa'g rabhtu sbe "Fpbecvba"; Jnygre B'Oevra yrnqf
> n grnz jvgu guerr bgure travhfrf. Fgnegvat jvgu gur svefg
> rcvfbqr, gurl ner wbvarq ol bar aba-travhf, Cnvtr Qvarra,
> jub hagvy gura jnf jbexvat nf n jnvgerff. Cnvtr vf cynlrq
> ol n fvatre naq npgerff jub svefg pnzr gb choyvp nggragvba ol
> svavfuvat frpbaq ba "Nzrevpna Vqby". Anzr gung cresbezre.
>
> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?

Gregory

> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?

vicodin

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)
>
> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)
>
> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.
>
> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Jub cynlrq Qbbtvr Ubjfre?

Björn

Dan Blum

Sep 25, 2016, 10:57:05 AM9/25/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great

> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Aristotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

Plato's Dialogs

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

He was Alexander's horse

> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?

Thebes; Corinth

> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Darius

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

India; Pakistan

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Iran; Afghanistan

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV

> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

Numb3rs

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)

small dense point

> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)

Mayim Bialik

> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.

Doogie

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Sep 25, 2016, 3:33:19 PM9/25/16
On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 2:33:32 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> I wrote one of these rounds.

the genius tv round?

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

philip ii of macedon

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.

olympias

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

aristotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

iliad

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

that's the name of alexander's horse

> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?

league of corinth

> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?

thebes

> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

darius iii

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

india

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

iraq

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.

judd hirsh

> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

Numb3rs

> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.

scorpion ; </scorpion>

> 4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> One genius isn't enough for "Scorpion"; Walter O'Brien leads
> a team with three other geniuses. Starting with the first
> episode, they are joined by one non-genius, Paige Dineen,
> who until then was working as a waitress. Paige is played
> by a singer and actress who first came to public attention by
> finishing second on "American Idol". Name that performer.

katharine mcphee

> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?

gregory

> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?

vicodin

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)

hot dense state

> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)

dr. amy farrah fowler ; mayim bialik

> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.

doogie

> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Who played Doogie Howser?

neil patrick harris

swp

Calvin

Sep 25, 2016, 11:27:45 PM9/25/16
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 4:33:32 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.

Won't come dammit...

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Aristotle

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

Plato's "Republic"

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

It was ATG's horse

> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?

Macedon?

> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?

Thebes, AThens

> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Darius

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

India, China

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

India, China

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.
>
> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

Numb3rs
cheers,
calvin

Pete

Sep 26, 2016, 12:12:55 AM9/26/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:n92dnSRTZP5qW3vKnZ2dnUU7-
XfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great
>
> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.
>
> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.
>
> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Aristotle; Socrates

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?
>
> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.
>
> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?
>
> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?
>
> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Xerxes

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

India; Pakistan

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Iran; Afghanistan

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV
>
> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.
>
> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.
>
> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

Numb3rs

> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.
>
> 4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Bar travhf vfa'g rabhtu sbe "Fpbecvba"; Jnygre B'Oevra yrnqf
> n grnz jvgu guerr bgure travhfrf. Fgnegvat jvgu gur svefg
> rcvfbqr, gurl ner wbvarq ol bar aba-travhf, Cnvtr Qvarra,
> jub hagvy gura jnf jbexvat nf n jnvgerff. Cnvtr vf cynlrq
> ol n fvatre naq npgerff jub svefg pnzr gb choyvp nggragvba ol
> svavfuvat frpbaq ba "Nzrevpna Vqby". Anzr gung cresbezre.
>
> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?
>
> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?

Cocaine

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)

Hot dense state

> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)

Amy

> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.

Doogie Howser

> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Jub cynlrq Qbbtvr Ubjfre?

Neil Patrick Harris

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 27, 2016, 4:12:25 PM9/27/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-11,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The TV round.

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Alexander the Great

> Muhammad Ali thought *he* was the Greatest, but he had nothing
> on this guy's record: the conquest of much of the known world,
> and zero defeats. Let's see how much you know about the true
> Great One -- Alexander the Great, of the original Macedonia.

> 1. Alexander's father was himself King of Macedonia. What was
> his name? You don't need to provide his number.

Philip II. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Marc, Björn, Dan Blum, Stephen, Calvin, and Pete.

> 2. Alexander's mother outlived both him and her own husband
> (<answer 1>), and proved herself adept -- or at the very least
> ruthless -- in the arts of realpolitik, in advancing the position
> of her grandson after Alexander's death. Angelina Jolie played
> her in Oliver Stone's film "Alexander". Name her.

Olympias (also accepting "Myrtale"). 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 3. *Which sage* tutored Alexander in various aspects of learning
> from the age of 13 to 16, but was apparently unable to convince
> him that it was okay to keep non-Greeks as slaves?

Aristotle. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Björn, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Calvin. 3 for Pete.

> 4. Naturally, Alexander was educated by <answer 3> in what we would
> call the classics. He carried into battle a copy of which work,
> annotated by <answer 3> himself?

The "Iliad". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 5. *What role* did Bucephalus play in Alexander's military
> campaigns? After his death, he was honored by having a city
> named after him.

He was Alexander's horse. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Calvin.

> 6. In 337 BC, Alexander's father <answer 1> united the Greek
> states -- with the exception of Sparta -- into what organization,
> with himself as hegemon, or president?

Corinthian League. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. After <answer 1>'s assassination in the following year, Alexander
> was proclaimed leader of the <answer 6>. Which Greek city
> revolted against him, and was subsequently sacked and destroyed
> by Alexander, leaving behind only the home of the poet Pindar?

Thebes. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> 8. Who was the Persian king defeated by Alexander after a series
> of battles ending with the Battle of Guagamela ["GO-guh-MEE-luh"]
> in 331 BC?

Darius. (III, but the number was not required or expected.)
4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Björn, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Calvin.

> 9. The easternmost point that Alexander reached in his journey of
> conquest is located in which country today?

It'd be near the India-Pakistan border. The expected answer was
India, but various maps I found online show slightly different
versions of the route, and I've decided to accept Pakistan also.
So, 4 for Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque, Marc, Björn, Dan Blum (the hard
way), Stephen, and Pete (the hard way). 3 for Calvin.

> 10. Alexander died in 323 BC at the age of 32 -- maybe as the
> result of foul play, but maybe not. And maybe you remember
> the ancient city where it happened, but, again, you only need
> to tell us the modern-day country where the place is located.

Iraq. (Babylon.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, and Stephen.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Entertainment - Genius TV

> This round is about five American TV shows, each of which features
> a lead character with mental powers far beyond those of mortal
> men -- you know, just like the sort of people you find in the
> Canadian Inquisition. There will be two questions about each show.

> 1. The series "Numbers" revolved around the Eppes ["Eps"] family --
> Charlie the mathematician, Don the FBI agent, and their father
> Alan. Name any one of the three actors who played them.

David Krumholtz, Rob Morrow, Judd Hirsch. 4 for Joshua, Marc,
and Stephen.

> 2. The title was not actually spelled "Numbers". How was it
> spelled? Exact answer required.

"Numb3rs". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum, Stephen,
Calvin, and Pete. 3 for Peter.

> 3. This lead character of this current series, Walter O'Brien, is
> a real person who is also one of the show's executive producers.
> He's played by Elyes Gabel on the show. Give the title.

"Scorpion". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 4. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> One genius isn't enough for "Scorpion"; Walter O'Brien leads
> a team with three other geniuses. Starting with the first
> episode, they are joined by one non-genius, Paige Dineen,
> who until then was working as a waitress. Paige is played
> by a singer and actress who first came to public attention by
> finishing second on "American Idol". Name that performer.

Katharine McPhee. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. The title character of "House, M.D." was played by Hugh Laurie.
> What was the character's first name?

Gregory. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Marc, Björn, and Stephen.

> 6. What drug was Dr. House addicted to?

Vicodin. (A brand name for hydrocodone with acetaminophen.)
4 for Peter, Björn, and Stephen.

> 7. According to the opening-title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory",
> our whole universe was in a what? (The answer is 3 words.)

Hot, dense state. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

See: http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_History_of_Everything

> 8. Years ago Robert Young said, "I'm not a doctor, but I play
> one on TV". On the other hand, one current regular character
> on "The Big Bang Theory" actually is played by a person with a
> real-life Ph.D. in the same field as the character. Who's that?
> (Give either the person's real name, or either the first or
> last name of the character.)

Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen
(the hard way), and Pete. 2 for Peter.

> 9. The opening-title sequence of this show included a headline:
> "14 YEAR OLD PASSES MEDICAL BOARD -- KID DOCTOR CAN'T BUY
> BEER... CAN PRESCRIBE DRUGS" [punctuation sic]. Give the
> character's first name as seen in the title -- *correct spelling
> required*.

Doogie. (The title was "Doogie Howser, M.D.") 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 10. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Who played Doogie Howser?

Neil Patrick Harris. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Stephen, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Ent
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Joshua Kreitzer 16 32 48
Dan Tilque 32 8 40
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 40
Dan Blum 23 12 35
Pete Gayde 11 20 31
Peter Smyth 12 17 29
"Calvin" 22 4 26
Björn Lundin 16 8 24
Erland Sommarskog 12 0 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that has not changed much in recent years
m...@vex.net | is gravity." --David D. Dunlap, N.Y. Times