Rotating Quiz #309: Constellations and island groups

Dan Tilque

Oct 15, 2018, 10:37:29 AM10/15/18
Welcome to Rotating Quiz #309. Sorry for taking so long to get one
together. As the subject line says, this quiz is half about
constellations and half about island groups. There is no secret theme to
this quiz.

The usual rules apply about tiebreakers, no outside references, etc.
Quiz will end sometime in the evening my time on Saturday, October 20,
2018. Some questions ask for multiple items. One point for each correct
answer. If more answers are given than requested, the excess will be
ignored.

Part I. Constellations

1. There's a Greek myth which has contributed 5 of the standard
constellations. The story involves a Hero who rescues a Damsel in
Distress from a sea monster. (Hint: one of the constellations is the sea
monster.) There's one other constellation that's peripherally associated
with that myth, and is sometimes incorporated into it, but it really
belongs in a different hero's myth. It's a fantastic (in both senses of
that word) animal. What are these 6 constellations?

Give the English name for each of these constellations. For example, for
Cancer, the answer would be "crab".

2. Antlia

3. Ara

4. Carina

5. Draco

6. Monoceros

7. Vulpecula

Part II. Islands

8. Name the 4 main islands of Japan.

9. Name the 8 main islands of Hawaii

10. Name the 4 largest Channel Islands (English Channel Islands, not
those in California)

Have fun.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 15, 2018, 3:43:55 PM10/15/18
Dan Tilque:
> 1. There's a Greek myth which has contributed 5 of the standard
> constellations...

Serpent;
Perseus;
Orion;
Pegasus;
Cassiopeia;
Chained lady.

(For the four in the middle their proper names are also the names
I normally see used in English, but I think I've also seen "chained
lady" used somewhere as the English name of Cassiopeia, and since
I don't have a 6th guess I'll put that one down just in case.

> 2. Antlia

Ant-lion.

> 3. Ara

Altar.

> 4. Carina

Crown.

> 5. Draco

Dragon.

> 6. Monoceros

Unicorn.

> 7. Vulpecula

Little fox.

> Part II. Islands
>
> 8. Name the 4 main islands of Japan.

Hokkaido;
Honshu;
Kyushu;
Shikoku.

> 9. Name the 8 main islands of Hawaii;

Oahu;
Maui;
Kauai;
Molokai;
Hawaii;
Niihau;
Kahoolawe;
and the other one.

> 10. Name the 4 largest Channel Islands (English Channel Islands, not
> those in California)

They're not in England either.

Jersey;
Guernsey;
Alderney;
Sark.

--
Mark Brader | Given the degree of bitterness... here recently, it might
Toronto | [be better described] as an againstum than a forum.

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 15, 2018, 5:51:07 PM10/15/18
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> 1. There's a Greek myth which has contributed 5 of the standard
> constellations. The story involves a Hero who rescues a Damsel in
> Distress from a sea monster. (Hint: one of the constellations is the sea
> monster.) There's one other constellation that's peripherally associated
> with that myth, and is sometimes incorporated into it, but it really
> belongs in a different hero's myth. It's a fantastic (in both senses of
> that word) animal. What are these 6 constellations?

Orion

> 6. Monoceros

Unicorn

> 8. Name the 4 main islands of Japan.

Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikuku, (Okinawa).

> 10. Name the 4 largest Channel Islands (English Channel Islands, not
> those in California)

Jersey, Guernsey

Dan Blum

Oct 15, 2018, 9:12:30 PM10/15/18
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> wrote:

> Part I. Constellations

> 1. There's a Greek myth which has contributed 5 of the standard
> constellations. The story involves a Hero who rescues a Damsel in
> Distress from a sea monster. (Hint: one of the constellations is the sea
> monster.) There's one other constellation that's peripherally associated
> with that myth, and is sometimes incorporated into it, but it really
> belongs in a different hero's myth. It's a fantastic (in both senses of
> that word) animal. What are these 6 constellations?

Perseus
Andromeda
Cassiopeia
Hydra
Pegasus

> 5. Draco

dragon

> 6. Monoceros

unicorn

> 7. Vulpecula

fox

> Part II. Islands

> 8. Name the 4 main islands of Japan.

Honshu
Hokkaido
Shikoku

> 9. Name the 8 main islands of Hawaii

Hawai'i
Maui
Oahu

> 10. Name the 4 largest Channel Islands (English Channel Islands, not
> those in California)

Jersey
Guernsey
Sark
Alderney

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Oct 16, 2018, 7:36:53 PM10/16/18
On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 12:37:29 AM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:

> Part I. Constellations
>
> 1. There's a Greek myth which has contributed 5 of the standard
> constellations. The story involves a Hero who rescues a Damsel in
> Distress from a sea monster. (Hint: one of the constellations is the sea
> monster.) There's one other constellation that's peripherally associated
> with that myth, and is sometimes incorporated into it, but it really
> belongs in a different hero's myth. It's a fantastic (in both senses of
> that word) animal. What are these 6 constellations?
>
> Give the English name for each of these constellations. For example, for
> Cancer, the answer would be "crab".
>
> 2. Antlia

Scorpion?

> 3. Ara

Spider

> 4. Carina

Dog?

> 5. Draco

Bat

> 6. Monoceros

Narwhal?

> 7. Vulpecula

Fox

> Part II. Islands
>
> 8. Name the 4 main islands of Japan.

Honshu
Hokkaido
Kyoshu
Shikoshu

> 9. Name the 8 main islands of Hawaii

Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
and the others

> 10. Name the 4 largest Channel Islands (English Channel Islands, not
> those in California)

Guernsey
Jersey
Sark
Breqhou

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Oct 21, 2018, 1:44:47 AM10/21/18
Dan Tilque wrote:

> Part I. Constellations
>
> 1. There's a Greek myth which has contributed 5 of the standard
> constellations. The story involves a Hero who rescues a Damsel in
> Distress from a sea monster. (Hint: one of the constellations is the sea
> monster.) There's one other constellation that's peripherally associated
> with that myth, and is sometimes incorporated into it, but it really
> belongs in a different hero's myth. It's a fantastic (in both senses of
> that word) animal. What are these 6 constellations?

Perseus (hero)
Andromeda (damsel in distress)
Cassiopeia (her mother)
Cepheus (her father)
Cetus (sea monster)
Pegasus (other animal)

Pegasus really belongs to the Bellerophon myth, but since he was born to
Medusa (actually from her neck and/or blood) when Perseus slew her,
he's often given to Perseus as a mount. But Perseus didn't need a mount,
since he'd been given winged shoes by Hermes before starting his quest.

The chained lady would be Andromeda, so I'll give Mark a tiebreaking
bonus for that.

> Give the English name for each of these constellations. For example, for
> Cancer, the answer would be "crab".
>
> 2. Antlia

air pump

(named in the 18th century by a Frenchman named Lacaille; it's a faint
constellation that even most serious amateur astronomers are probably
unfamiliar with. I probably shouldn't have included it here, since I
didn't expect anyone to get it.)

> 3. Ara

altar

> 4. Carina

keel

(originally part of a larger constellation, Argo Navis, which was broken
up into three smaller ones: Carina, Pupis (poop deck) and Vela (sails))

> 5. Draco

dragon

> 6. Monoceros

unicorn

> 7. Vulpecula

fox

> Part II. Islands
>
> 8. Name the 4 main islands of Japan.

Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku

> 9. Name the 8 main islands of Hawaii

Hawai'i (or the Big Island), O'ahu, Maui, Kaua'i, Moloka'i, Lāna'i
(Lana'i), Ni'ihau, Kaho'olawe

The diacritics are optional.

> 10. Name the 4 largest Channel Islands (English Channel Islands, not
> those in California)

Guernsey, Jersey, Sark, Alderney

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 T
------------------------------------
Mark 3+ 0 1 0 1 1 1 4 7 4 22+
Dan Blum 4 0 0 0 1 1 1 3 3 4 17
Calvin 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4 3 3 11
Erland 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 0 2 7

Mark does not need the bonus to win easily. Congratulations! Rotating
Quiz #310 is yours, Mark.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2018, 2:03:48 AM10/21/18
Dan Tilque:
> Mark does not need the bonus to win easily. Congratulations!

Thanks! FWIW, I was annoyed at missing Antlia and Carina.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "But I want credit for all the words
m...@vex.net I spelled *right*!" -- BEETLE BAILEY