Calvin's Quiz #482

Calvin

Apr 6, 2017, 9:28:59 PM4/6/17

1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's constant is signified by the letter "h"?
2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to win a Nobel Prize?
3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything" which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?
4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first performed in 1892?
5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of Australian English and its associated vernacular?
6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large crests on the skulls of cassowaries?
7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?
8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most mammals, especially dogs?
9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the 1992 and 1996 Olympics?
10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?

I'm away for a bit so this one won't be marked before 18 April.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 6, 2017, 11:07:50 PM4/6/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's
> constant is signified by the letter "h"?

Max Planck.

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first
> American to win a Nobel Prize?

Theodore Roosevelt.

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of
> Everything" which was based on the life of which British
> scientist (b. 1942)?

Stephen Hawking.

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet,
> first performed in 1892?

"The Nutcracker".

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent
> of Australian English and its associated vernacular?

Strine.

> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large
> crests on the skulls of cassowaries?

Casque, I suppose.

> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?

Aries.

> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of
> most mammals, especially dogs?

Dewclaw?

> 9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the
> 1992 and 1996 Olympics?

> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for
> "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at
> the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?

Melanie Griffith?

> I'm away for a bit so this one won't be marked before 18 April.

Have fun, if applicable.

--
Mark Brader "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."
Toronto "Wait till I get going!"

Dan Tilque

Apr 7, 2017, 1:29:54 AM4/7/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's constant is signified by the letter "h"?

Planck (and the symbol is an h with a crossbar)

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to win a Nobel Prize?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything" which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?

Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first performed in 1892?

Nutcracker Suite

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of Australian English and its associated vernacular?

Strine

> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large crests on the skulls of cassowaries?
> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?

Aries

> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most mammals, especially dogs?

dewclaw

> 9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the 1992 and 1996 Olympics?
> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 7, 2017, 1:41:27 AM4/7/17
Dan Tilque:
> (and the symbol is an h with a crossbar)

May I refer the honorable entrant to:

http://www.britannica.com/science/Plancks-constant

?
--
Mark Brader | "I don't want to say they're unsafe,
Toronto | but they're dangerous."

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 7, 2017, 2:58:06 AM4/7/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's
> constant is signified by the letter "h"?

Boltzmann

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American
> to win a Nobel Prize?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything"
> which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?

Stephen Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first
> performed in 1892?

Swan Lake

> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?

Sagitaurus? (I know that the name is Väduren in Swedish, but I have
never memorised the English name.)

Peter Smyth

Apr 7, 2017, 8:11:20 AM4/7/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's
> constant is signified by the letter "h"?
Planck
> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American
> to win a Nobel Prize?
Theodore Roosevelt
> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything"
> which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?
Stephen Hawking
> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first
> performed in 1892?
Nutcracker
> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of
> Australian English and its associated vernacular?
Annoying :-)
> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large
> crests on the skulls of cassowaries?
Plume
> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?
Aries
> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most
> mammals, especially dogs?
>
> 9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the
> 1992 and 1996 Olympics?
Alexander Popov
> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working
> Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988
> Academy Awards, but won neither?
Meryl Streep

Peter Smyth

Bruce

Apr 7, 2017, 9:24:11 AM4/7/17
On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 18:28:59 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's
constant
> is signified by the letter "h"?

Max Planck

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American
> win a Nobel Prize?

Teddy Roosevelt

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything"
> which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?

Steven Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first
> performed in 1892?

Nutcracker

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of
> Australian English and its associated vernacular?
> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large
crests on
> the skulls of cassowaries?
> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?
> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most
> mammals, especially dogs?

Dew claw

Dan Tilque

Apr 7, 2017, 7:53:26 PM4/7/17
Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> (and the symbol is an h with a crossbar)
>
> May I refer the honorable entrant to:

Oh, right. The h-bar is the reduced Planck constant, which is h/2pi.
Which is sometimes more useful.

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 10, 2017, 10:49:31 AM4/10/17
In article <4726cd54-caf8-4b2a...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's constant is signified by the letter "h"?
Planck

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to win a Nobel Prize?
Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything" which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?
Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first performed in 1892?
The Nutcracker

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of Australian English and its associated vernacular?
Strine

> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large crests on the skulls of cassowaries?
> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?
Aries

> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most mammals, especially dogs?
dew claw

> 9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the 1992 and 1996 Olympics?
> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?
Weaver

> I'm away for a bit so this one won't be marked before 18 April.
>
> cheers,
> calvin

ArenEss

Apr 10, 2017, 5:38:40 PM4/10/17
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:28:59 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's constant is signified by the letter "h"?
Max Planck

>2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to win a Nobel Prize?
Teddy Roosevelt

>3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything" which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?
Stephen Hawking

>4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first performed in 1892?
The Nutcracker

>5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of Australian English and its associated vernacular?
>6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large crests on the skulls of cassowaries?
>7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?
Aries

>8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most mammals, especially dogs?
Dew Claw

>9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the 1992 and 1996 Olympics?
>10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?
Question is flawed. Sigourney Weaver is the correct answer, but it
was the 1989 Academy Awards. No actress was nominated for both
awards in 1988.

>I'm away for a bit so this one won't be marked before 18 April.
>
>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Dan Blum

Apr 17, 2017, 10:14:48 PM4/17/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's constant is signified by the letter "h"?

Planck

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to win a Nobel Prize?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything" which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?

Stephen Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first performed in 1892?

The Nutcracker

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of Australian English and its associated vernacular?

Strine

> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most mammals, especially dogs?

dew claw

> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?

Sigourney Weaver

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

Apr 18, 2017, 5:05:23 PM4/18/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's
> constant is signified by the letter "h"?

Planck

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to
> win a Nobel Prize?

No idea

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything"
> which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?

Stephen Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first
> performed in 1892?

Nutcracker

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of
> Australian English and its associated vernacular?
> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large crests
> on the skulls of cassowaries?
> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?
> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most
> mammals, especially dogs?

Dew Claw

> 9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the 1992
> and 1996 Olympics?
> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working
> Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988
> Academy Awards, but won neither?

Sigourney Weaver

Calvin

Apr 20, 2017, 1:27:02 AM4/20/17
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 11:28:59 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Though his name doesn't contain it, which German physicist's constant is signified by the letter "h"?

Max Planck

> 2 By collecting the 1906 Peace prize, who became the first American to win a Nobel Prize?

Teddy Roosevelt

> 3 Eddie Redmayne starred in the 2014 film "The Theory of Everything" which was based on the life of which British scientist (b. 1942)?

Stephen Hawking

> 4 The dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy appears in which ballet, first performed in 1892?

The Nutcracker

> 5 Which term, first coined in 1964, describes the broad accent of Australian English and its associated vernacular?

Strine

> 6 From the French for "helmet", which word describes the large crests on the skulls of cassowaries?

Casque
Singleton for Mark

> 7 Those born on April Fool's day fall under what star sign?

Aries

> 8 Which word refers to the vestigial digit found on the foot of most mammals, especially dogs?

Dewclaw

> 9 Which Russian won gold in the 100 metres freestyle at both the 1992 and 1996 Olympics?

Alex Popov
Singleton for Peter

> 10 Who was nominated for both Best Supporting Actress (for "Working Girl") and Best Actress (losing out to Jodie Foster) at the 1988 Academy Awards, but won neither?

Sigourney Weaver

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 482
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 50 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 8 53 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 7 48 Dan Blum
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 7 49 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 49 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 6 39 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 5 36 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 5 40 Bruce Bowler
0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 17 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
8 8 9 8 4 1 5 7 1 4 55 61%

Congratulations Mark (and yes, the tie break scores are correct).

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 20, 2017, 2:37:54 AM4/20/17
"Calvin":
> Congratulations Mark

Worth the wait! Welcome back.
--
Mark Brader | "I thought it was a big joke.
Toronto | Dr. Brader is known for joking around a lot."