: QFTCIWSS Current Events 9-10

Mark Brader

Aug 1, 2018, 6:01:02 AM8/1/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2018-07-16 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2018-07-23), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Popular Raptors star DeMar DeRozan has been traded to the San
Antonio Spurs. Which star NBA player do the Raptors get
in return?

2. Which Blue Jays pitcher recorded his first career save at last
week's All-Star Game?

3. Ontario's Minister of Community Safety has, shall we say,
come under fire for comments he made about wearing
a bullet-proof vest when he spent an evening touring the
Jane-Finch neighborhood. What is his name?

4. Prime Minister Trudeau shuffled his cabinet last week, creating
the Ministry of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction.
Which Scarborough MP has been appointed minister of this
portfolio?

5. City of Toronto has locked out IATSE Local 58 union members at
which major tourist attraction?

6. This band returned to play two sold-out shows at the Scotiabank
Arena last week, the first time they've played in Toronto since
a member of their crew was killed in the Downsview stage collapse
in 2012. Name the band.

7. The US and Russian presidents met privately and then jointly
addressed the international press, where the American president
attracting bipartisan fury by making remarks variously referred
to as "treasonous", "stupid", "shocking", and "disgraceful".
In what city did the two leaders meet?

8. In the midst of the aforementioned summit, the EU signed its
largest-ever trade agreement with which major nation?

9. Adrian Cronauer died last week, aged 79. He was best known for
his time with the US Armed Forces Radio, as depicted immortally
by Robin Williams in which 1987 movie?

10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

* Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Which controversial American fast-food chain, known for
supporting anti-gay politicians, announced they will open three
restaurants in the GTA in 2019?

2. Air Canada announced that it is planning a hostile takeover bid
of a company called Aimea. What does Aimea control that made
them a target for this takeover?

3. Doug Ford announced on Friday that he would seek to pass
legislation which would reduce cancel planned elections of
regional chairs in four Ontario regions. Name *any two* of
the regions whose chairs are no longer be elected.

4. Also on Friday, several additional people responded to the
last-minute deadline and entered the mayoral race. One of
them is a well-known white nationalist who has appeared on
the Daily Stormer podcast, who spoke the infamous "14 words"
on an Infowars broadcast, and who promoted a truther/false-flag
movement regarding last year's mosque shooting in Quebec City.
Name her.

5. The Assembly of First Nations reelected its current national
chief last week. Who is he?

6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
Defense Force. What group?

7. Wildfires spread through part of this country last week and
are ongoing, having as of Saturday killed a confirmed 88 people.
They are the first widespread fires in this country since 2009.
What country?

8. Theodore McCarrick was forced to resign this week from his
prestigious position, in a widely-praised move by his direct
superior -- who?

9. Jacob Hoggard was arrested last week in Toronto and charged
with sexual assault. Hoggard is better known as the front man
for which popular Canadian band?

10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
on Thursday?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "This quote is very memorable."
m...@vex.net --Randall Munroe

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 1, 2018, 9:02:08 AM8/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jaadnc6vLulEGfzGnZ2dnUU7-
dfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9 (2018-07-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 7. The US and Russian presidents met privately and then jointly
> addressed the international press, where the American president
> attracting bipartisan fury by making remarks variously referred
> to as "treasonous", "stupid", "shocking", and "disgraceful".
> In what city did the two leaders meet?

Helsinki

> 9. Adrian Cronauer died last week, aged 79. He was best known for
> his time with the US Armed Forces Radio, as depicted immortally
> by Robin Williams in which 1987 movie?

"Good Morning, Vietnam"

> 10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
> closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
> Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

Alaska

> * Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
> instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
> of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
> Defense Force. What group?

the White Helmets

> 7. Wildfires spread through part of this country last week and
> are ongoing, having as of Saturday killed a confirmed 88 people.
> They are the first widespread fires in this country since 2009.
> What country?

Greece

> 8. Theodore McCarrick was forced to resign this week from his
> prestigious position, in a widely-praised move by his direct
> superior -- who?

Pope Francis

> 10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
> the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
> went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
> and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
> on Thursday?

$116 billion

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Aug 1, 2018, 9:54:05 AM8/1/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2018-07-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 5. City of Toronto has locked out IATSE Local 58 union members at
> which major tourist attraction?

CN Tower

> 7. The US and Russian presidents met privately and then jointly
> addressed the international press, where the American president
> attracting bipartisan fury by making remarks variously referred
> to as "treasonous", "stupid", "shocking", and "disgraceful".
> In what city did the two leaders meet?

Helsinki

> 8. In the midst of the aforementioned summit, the EU signed its
> largest-ever trade agreement with which major nation?

China

> 9. Adrian Cronauer died last week, aged 79. He was best known for
> his time with the US Armed Forces Radio, as depicted immortally
> by Robin Williams in which 1987 movie?

Good Morning Vietnam

> 10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
> closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
> Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

Alaska

> * Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which controversial American fast-food chain, known for
> supporting anti-gay politicians, announced they will open three
> restaurants in the GTA in 2019?

Chick-Fil-A

> 6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
> instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
> of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
> Defense Force. What group?

Doctors Without Borders

> 10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
> the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
> went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
> and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
> on Thursday?

$119 billion

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Aug 1, 2018, 4:39:53 PM8/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:jaadnc6vLulEGfzGnZ2dnUU7-
dfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2018-07-16 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2018-07-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Popular Raptors star DeMar DeRozan has been traded to the San
> Antonio Spurs. Which star NBA player do the Raptors get
> in return?
>
> 2. Which Blue Jays pitcher recorded his first career save at last
> week's All-Star Game?

Happ

> 3. Ontario's Minister of Community Safety has, shall we say,
> come under fire for comments he made about wearing
> a bullet-proof vest when he spent an evening touring the
> Jane-Finch neighborhood. What is his name?
>
> 4. Prime Minister Trudeau shuffled his cabinet last week, creating
> the Ministry of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction.
> Which Scarborough MP has been appointed minister of this
> portfolio?
>
> 5. City of Toronto has locked out IATSE Local 58 union members at
> which major tourist attraction?

CN Tower; Casa Loma

> 6. This band returned to play two sold-out shows at the Scotiabank
> Arena last week, the first time they've played in Toronto since
> a member of their crew was killed in the Downsview stage collapse
> in 2012. Name the band.
>
> 7. The US and Russian presidents met privately and then jointly
> addressed the international press, where the American president
> attracting bipartisan fury by making remarks variously referred
> to as "treasonous", "stupid", "shocking", and "disgraceful".
> In what city did the two leaders meet?

Helsinki

> 8. In the midst of the aforementioned summit, the EU signed its
> largest-ever trade agreement with which major nation?

China

> 9. Adrian Cronauer died last week, aged 79. He was best known for
> his time with the US Armed Forces Radio, as depicted immortally
> by Robin Williams in which 1987 movie?

Good Morning, Vietnam

> 10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
> closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
> Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

Alaska

> * Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which controversial American fast-food chain, known for
> supporting anti-gay politicians, announced they will open three
> restaurants in the GTA in 2019?

Chik-Fil-A

> 2. Air Canada announced that it is planning a hostile takeover bid
> of a company called Aimea. What does Aimea control that made
> them a target for this takeover?
>
> 3. Doug Ford announced on Friday that he would seek to pass
> legislation which would reduce cancel planned elections of
> regional chairs in four Ontario regions. Name *any two* of
> the regions whose chairs are no longer be elected.
>
> 4. Also on Friday, several additional people responded to the
> last-minute deadline and entered the mayoral race. One of
> them is a well-known white nationalist who has appeared on
> the Daily Stormer podcast, who spoke the infamous "14 words"
> on an Infowars broadcast, and who promoted a truther/false-flag
> movement regarding last year's mosque shooting in Quebec City.
> Name her.
>
> 5. The Assembly of First Nations reelected its current national
> chief last week. Who is he?
>
> 6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
> instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
> of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
> Defense Force. What group?

White Helmets

> 7. Wildfires spread through part of this country last week and
> are ongoing, having as of Saturday killed a confirmed 88 people.
> They are the first widespread fires in this country since 2009.
> What country?

Greece

> 8. Theodore McCarrick was forced to resign this week from his
> prestigious position, in a widely-praised move by his direct
> superior -- who?

Pope Francis

> 9. Jacob Hoggard was arrested last week in Toronto and charged
> with sexual assault. Hoggard is better known as the front man
> for which popular Canadian band?

Coldplay

> 10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
> the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
> went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
> and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
> on Thursday?

$120,000,000,000; $110,000,000,000

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 1, 2018, 5:07:11 PM8/1/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2018-07-23), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Popular Raptors star DeMar DeRozan has been traded to the San
> Antonio Spurs. Which star NBA player do the Raptors get
> in return?

Jonas Jerebko

(No, I think he went elsewhere. But that is about the only NBA player
I know anyway.)

> 2. Which Blue Jays pitcher recorded his first career save at last
> week's All-Star Game?

Nisse Hult

> 4. Prime Minister Trudeau shuffled his cabinet last week, creating
> the Ministry of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction.
> Which Scarborough MP has been appointed minister of this
> portfolio?

It must have been Ms/Mr Fair!

> 7. The US and Russian presidents met privately and then jointly
> addressed the international press, where the American president
> attracting bipartisan fury by making remarks variously referred
> to as "treasonous", "stupid", "shocking", and "disgraceful".
> In what city did the two leaders meet?

Helsinki

> 8. In the midst of the aforementioned summit, the EU signed its
> largest-ever trade agreement with which major nation?

Japan

> 10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
> closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
> Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

WA

> * Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
> instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
> of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
> Defense Force. What group?

White Helmets

> 7. Wildfires spread through part of this country last week and
> are ongoing, having as of Saturday killed a confirmed 88 people.
> They are the first widespread fires in this country since 2009.
> What country?

Greece

Up here, we have also have had a hot summer with several large forest
fires, but thankfully no casualties as far as I know.

> 10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
> the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
> went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
> and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
> on Thursday?

24

Dan Tilque

Aug 2, 2018, 11:52:38 AM8/2/18
Helsinki

> 8. In the midst of the aforementioned summit, the EU signed its
> largest-ever trade agreement with which major nation?

China

> 9. Adrian Cronauer died last week, aged 79. He was best known for
> his time with the US Armed Forces Radio, as depicted immortally
> by Robin Williams in which 1987 movie?

Good Morning, Vietnam

> 10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
> closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
> Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

Alaska

> * Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which controversial American fast-food chain, known for
> supporting anti-gay politicians, announced they will open three
> restaurants in the GTA in 2019?

Chik-fil-A

> 2. Air Canada announced that it is planning a hostile takeover bid
> of a company called Aimea. What does Aimea control that made
> them a target for this takeover?
>
> 3. Doug Ford announced on Friday that he would seek to pass
> legislation which would reduce cancel planned elections of
> regional chairs in four Ontario regions. Name *any two* of
> the regions whose chairs are no longer be elected.
>
> 4. Also on Friday, several additional people responded to the
> last-minute deadline and entered the mayoral race. One of
> them is a well-known white nationalist who has appeared on
> the Daily Stormer podcast, who spoke the infamous "14 words"
> on an Infowars broadcast, and who promoted a truther/false-flag
> movement regarding last year's mosque shooting in Quebec City.
> Name her.
>
> 5. The Assembly of First Nations reelected its current national
> chief last week. Who is he?
>
> 6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
> instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
> of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
> Defense Force. What group?
>
> 7. Wildfires spread through part of this country last week and
> are ongoing, having as of Saturday killed a confirmed 88 people.
> They are the first widespread fires in this country since 2009.
> What country?

Japan

> 8. Theodore McCarrick was forced to resign this week from his
> prestigious position, in a widely-praised move by his direct
> superior -- who?

Ford; Trudeau

> 9. Jacob Hoggard was arrested last week in Toronto and charged
> with sexual assault. Hoggard is better known as the front man
> for which popular Canadian band?
>
> 10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
> the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
> went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
> and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
> on Thursday?

It was almost 20%, but don't know the dollar amount.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 4, 2018, 3:21:49 AM8/4/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9 (2018-07-23), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Popular Raptors star DeMar DeRozan has been traded to the San
> Antonio Spurs. Which star NBA player do the Raptors get
> in return?

Kawhi Leonard.

> 2. Which Blue Jays pitcher recorded his first career save at last
> week's All-Star Game?

J.A. Happ. 4 for Pete.

> 3. Ontario's Minister of Community Safety has, shall we say,
> come under fire for comments he made about wearing
> a bullet-proof vest when he spent an evening touring the
> Jane-Finch neighborhood. What is his name?

Michael Tibollo.

> 4. Prime Minister Trudeau shuffled his cabinet last week, creating
> the Ministry of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction.
> Which Scarborough MP has been appointed minister of this
> portfolio?

Former Toronto police chief Bill Blair.

> 5. City of Toronto has locked out IATSE Local 58 union members at
> which major tourist attraction?

Exhibition Place.

> 6. This band returned to play two sold-out shows at the Scotiabank
> Arena last week, the first time they've played in Toronto since
> a member of their crew was killed in the Downsview stage collapse
> in 2012. Name the band.

Radiohead.

> 7. The US and Russian presidents met privately and then jointly
> addressed the international press, where the American president
> attracting bipartisan fury by making remarks variously referred
> to as "treasonous", "stupid", "shocking", and "disgraceful".
> In what city did the two leaders meet?

Helsinki. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. In the midst of the aforementioned summit, the EU signed its
> largest-ever trade agreement with which major nation?

Japan. 4 for Erland.

> 9. Adrian Cronauer died last week, aged 79. He was best known for
> his time with the US Armed Forces Radio, as depicted immortally
> by Robin Williams in which 1987 movie?

"Good Morning Vietnam". (Also accepting "Gooooooood Morning
Vietnam".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Two of the last three Blockbuster Video stores left in the US
> closed this week. The one location still open is in Bend,
> Oregon, but in what state were the two that closed?

Alaska. (Fairbanks and Anchorage.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 10 (2018-08-30), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which controversial American fast-food chain, known for
> supporting anti-gay politicians, announced they will open three
> restaurants in the GTA in 2019?

Chick-Fil-A. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Air Canada announced that it is planning a hostile takeover bid
> of a company called Aimea. What does Aimea control that made
> them a target for this takeover?

The Aeroplan program.

> 3. Doug Ford announced on Friday that he would seek to pass
> legislation which would reduce cancel planned elections of
> regional chairs in four Ontario regions. Name *any two* of
> the regions whose chairs are no longer be elected.

Muskoka, Niagara, Peel, York.

> 4. Also on Friday, several additional people responded to the
> last-minute deadline and entered the mayoral race. One of
> them is a well-known white nationalist who has appeared on
> the Daily Stormer podcast, who spoke the infamous "14 words"
> on an Infowars broadcast, and who promoted a truther/false-flag
> movement regarding last year's mosque shooting in Quebec City.
> Name her.

Faith Goldy.

> 5. The Assembly of First Nations reelected its current national
> chief last week. Who is he?

Perry Bellegarde.

> 6. Canada's special envoy to Syria, Robin Wettlaufer, was
> instrumental last week in arranging the escape of 300 members
> of an aid group from Syria, with the help of the Israeli
> Defense Force. What group?

White Helmets. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Erland.

> 7. Wildfires spread through part of this country last week and
> are ongoing, having as of Saturday killed a confirmed 88 people.
> They are the first widespread fires in this country since 2009.
> What country?

Greece. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Erland.

> 8. Theodore McCarrick was forced to resign this week from his
> prestigious position, in a widely-praised move by his direct
> superior -- who?

Pope Francis I. (McCarrick was a cardinal.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 9. Jacob Hoggard was arrested last week in Toronto and charged
> with sexual assault. Hoggard is better known as the front man
> for which popular Canadian band?

Hedley.

> 10. On Thursday, Facebook's stock price tumbled dramatically in
> the company's biggest single-day stock drop since the company
> went public. In US dollars, to the nearest whole billion
> and within $2,000,000,000, how much value did Facebook lose
> on Thursday?

$119,000,000,000 (accepting $118,000,000,000-$120,000,000,000).
4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Pete Gayde 0 12 16 24 14 8 4 12 16 19 121
Joshua Kreitzer 8 16 12 12 8 11 11 8 12 12 94
Dan Blum 6 20 12 8 14 8 0 4 12 8 88
Erland Sommarskog 4 4 8 12 12 0 4 12 8 8 68
Dan Tilque 4 4 8 8 8 16 -- -- 12 4 64
Peter Smyth 4 8 8 4 8 12 0 16 -- -- 60
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 4 4 0 4 -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "It is, in fact, a very good rule to be especially suspicious
Toronto | of work that says what you want to hear..."