QFTCI16 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: falls and rulers

Mark Brader

Sep 6, 2016, 1:50:43 AM9/6/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls

Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)

1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.

2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

3. Waterfall J is the third-highest waterfall in Canada. It's
located just off the Trans-Canada Highway a few miles west of
Lake Louise, Alberta. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just
name the national park in BC where it's located. You don't
have to say which one you're naming. Hint: Both names come
from the Cree language.

4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
shares the same name. What is that name?

5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.

6. Name either waterfall G or H. You need not say which one it is.
Hint: part of one name refers to something you might put on
a table; the other name may remind you of some well-known
reference books.

7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
the Canadian city where it's located.

8. Picture F shows three waterfalls. Name the *middle* one;
that is, the little one nearest to the main rainbow.

9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
Name the *waterfall*.

10. Similarly, pictures R and S show the same waterfall from
different angles. Where Niagara Falls consists of 3 smaller
falls, this one consists of over 200. Give the overall name
of the falls, which is also the name of the river.

11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
What country?

* Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers

1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?

2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
uvf ahzore.

3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
*as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
military might.

5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
-- count 'em, three or four!

6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
popes -- count 'em, none.

7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
answer.

8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
He abdicated in 1848.

10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
its monarchy in 1947?

--
Mark Brader / This country is planted thick with laws from coast to
Toronto / coast. Man's laws, not God's. And if you cut them down

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 6, 2016, 2:28:41 AM9/6/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:MqOdnRx_DsmzxFPKnZ2dnUU7-
dnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls
>
> Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)
>
> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

Rhine

> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?

Yosemite

> 5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
> waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
> Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.

London

> 9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
> Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
> all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
> the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
> Name the *waterfall*.

Victoria Falls

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?

Victoria

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.

George I

> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

Henri IV

> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!

Borgia

> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.

Abdullah

> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

Zog

> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Louis XVIII; Louis XIX

> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?

Michael

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Sep 6, 2016, 10:17:39 AM9/6/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls

> Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)

> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.

the river flows over iron-bearing rocks, so the water contains rust

> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

Rhone; Rhine

> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?

Yosemite

> 6. Name either waterfall G or H. You need not say which one it is.
> Hint: part of one name refers to something you might put on
> a table; the other name may remind you of some well-known
> reference books.

Tablecloth; Dictionary

> 7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
> different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
> named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
> from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
> the Canadian city where it's located.

Vancouver; Halifax

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers

> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?

William IV

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.

George I

> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

Henri IV

> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.

Sforza

> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!

Medici

> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.

Gonzaga; Loyola

> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

Zog

> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Louis-Philippe

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 6, 2016, 1:05:46 PM9/6/16
In article <MqOdnRx_DsmzxFPK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls
>
> Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)
>
> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.
leaves and other organic material

> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

> 3. Waterfall J is the third-highest waterfall in Canada. It's
> located just off the Trans-Canada Highway a few miles west of
> Lake Louise, Alberta. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just
> name the national park in BC where it's located. You don't
> have to say which one you're naming. Hint: Both names come
> from the Cree language.
>
> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?
Yosemite

> 5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
> waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
> Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.
>
> 6. Name either waterfall G or H. You need not say which one it is.
> Hint: part of one name refers to something you might put on
> a table; the other name may remind you of some well-known
> reference books.
>
> 7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
> different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
> named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
> from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
> the Canadian city where it's located.
>
> 8. Picture F shows three waterfalls. Name the *middle* one;
> that is, the little one nearest to the main rainbow.
American falls

> 9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
> Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
> all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
> the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
> Name the *waterfall*.
>
> 10. Similarly, pictures R and S show the same waterfall from
> different angles. Where Niagara Falls consists of 3 smaller
> falls, this one consists of over 200. Give the overall name
> of the falls, which is also the name of the river.
>
> 11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
> There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
> All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
> What country?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?
>
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.
>
> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.
Louis XIV

> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.
>
> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!
Medici

> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.
>
> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.
>
> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.
>
> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.
>
> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?

Peter Smyth

Sep 6, 2016, 1:22:47 PM9/6/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?
Queen Victoria
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Who was the last British monarch not
> buried in Britain? He was buried in Hanover, in fact, in the
> year seventeen twenty-seven. Give his name and, if applicable,
> his number.
George I
> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his other royal title.
Sun King
> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.
Medici
> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!
Medici
> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.
Medici
> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.
Abdullah
> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.
Zog
> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last king of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.
Louis XIX, Louis XX
> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?
Michael

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 6, 2016, 2:33:06 PM9/6/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.

The river runs over soil with a high contents of iron.

> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

Rhine

> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?

Yellowstone

> 5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
> waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
> Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.

London

> 7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
> different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
> named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
> from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
> the Canadian city where it's located.

Winnipeg

> 9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
> Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
> all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
> the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
> Name the *waterfall*.

Victoria Falls

> 10. Similarly, pictures R and S show the same waterfall from
> different angles. Where Niagara Falls consists of 3 smaller
> falls, this one consists of over 200. Give the overall name
> of the falls, which is also the name of the river.

Iguazu

> 11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
> There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
> All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
> What country?

Norway

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?
>
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.

James III

> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

Henry of Navarra (And he was Henry IV of France if memory serves.)

> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.

Salman

> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

Lek

> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Louis XVIII

> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?

Michael

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 6, 2016, 9:48:55 PM9/6/16
Rust

Pete

Sep 6, 2016, 11:22:45 PM9/6/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:MqOdnRx_DsmzxFPKnZ2dnUU7-
dnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls
>
> Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)
>
> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.

Tacquamenon

> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

Rheinfalls

> 3. Waterfall J is the third-highest waterfall in Canada. It's
> located just off the Trans-Canada Highway a few miles west of
> Lake Louise, Alberta. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just
> name the national park in BC where it's located. You don't
> have to say which one you're naming. Hint: Both names come
> from the Cree language.

Banff

> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?

Yosemite

> 5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
> waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
> Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.

Hamilton

> 6. Name either waterfall G or H. You need not say which one it is.
> Hint: part of one name refers to something you might put on
> a table; the other name may remind you of some well-known
> reference books.
>
> 7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
> different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
> named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
> from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
> the Canadian city where it's located.

Trois Rivieres

> 8. Picture F shows three waterfalls. Name the *middle* one;
> that is, the little one nearest to the main rainbow.

American Falls

> 9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
> Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
> all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
> the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
> Name the *waterfall*.

Victoria

> 10. Similarly, pictures R and S show the same waterfall from
> different angles. Where Niagara Falls consists of 3 smaller
> falls, this one consists of over 200. Give the overall name
> of the falls, which is also the name of the river.

Zambezi

> 11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
> There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
> All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
> What country?

Norway

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?
>
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.
>
> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.
>
> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.
>
> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!

Medici

> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.
>
> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.
>
> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.
>
> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Napoleon III

> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?

Carol

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Sep 7, 2016, 12:23:50 AM9/7/16
On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 3:50:43 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls

Pass

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?

William IV

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.

George I

> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

Henry IV

> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.

Savoy

> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!

De Medici

> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.
>
> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.

Fahd

> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

Zog

> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Louis XIX?

> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Sep 7, 2016, 2:47:43 AM9/7/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls
>
> Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)
>
> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.

rust in the water

> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

Rhine

> 3. Waterfall J is the third-highest waterfall in Canada. It's
> located just off the Trans-Canada Highway a few miles west of
> Lake Louise, Alberta. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just
> name the national park in BC where it's located. You don't
> have to say which one you're naming. Hint: Both names come
> from the Cree language.
>
> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?

Yosemite

> 5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
> waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
> Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.
>
> 6. Name either waterfall G or H. You need not say which one it is.
> Hint: part of one name refers to something you might put on
> a table; the other name may remind you of some well-known
> reference books.
>
> 7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
> different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
> named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
> from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
> the Canadian city where it's located.

Winnipeg

> 8. Picture F shows three waterfalls. Name the *middle* one;
> that is, the little one nearest to the main rainbow.

Bridal Veil Falls

> 9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
> Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
> all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
> the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
> Name the *waterfall*.
>
> 10. Similarly, pictures R and S show the same waterfall from
> different angles. Where Niagara Falls consists of 3 smaller
> falls, this one consists of over 200. Give the overall name
> of the falls, which is also the name of the river.
>
> 11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
> There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
> All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
> What country?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers
>
> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?

William IV

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Jub jnf gur ynfg Oevgvfu zbanepu *abg*
> ohevrq va Oevgnva? Ur jnf ohevrq va Unabire, va snpg, va gur
> lrne friragrra gjragl-frira. Tvir uvf anzr naq, vs nccyvpnoyr,
> uvf ahzore.

George I

> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

King of Navarre

> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.
>
> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!
>
> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.
>
> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.
>
> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

Zug

> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Louis XVIII

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 9, 2016, 12:30:04 AM9/9/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-27,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The waterfalls.

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Geography - Waterfalls

> Please see the 4 pages of beautiful handouts at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/1.jpg (for pictures A-E)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/2.jpg (for pictures F-J)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/3.jpg (for pictures M-Q)
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-7/falls/4.jpg (for pictures R-U)

Beautiful or not, this was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.

Tahquamenon Falls, high tannin content (leached from cedar swamps
upstream). I did not consider "leaves and other organic material"
close enough. 4 for Pete.

> 2. The waterfall in picture O is named after the European river
> it's on, which flows generally north for most of its length.
> What is that name? Hint: notice the flag.

Rhine Falls or Rheinfall. (It's near Schaffhausen, Switzerland.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Waterfall J is the third-highest waterfall in Canada. It's
> located just off the Trans-Canada Highway a few miles west of
> Lake Louise, Alberta. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just
> name the national park in BC where it's located. You don't
> have to say which one you're naming. Hint: Both names come
> from the Cree language.

Takkakaw Falls, Yoho National Park.

Banff is a Scottish place name.

> 4. Picture I was probably taken in spring; each year by the end
> of summer the river pretty much stops running. In any case,
> the upper and lower waterfall here share a collective name,
> and they are located in a well-known US national park that also
> shares the same name. What is that name?

Yosemite ["yo-SEM-it-ee"] Falls / National Park. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. The next *two* questions are about pictures G and H. These
> waterfalls are among several that are located in the same
> Ontario city that's less than 100 km from here. Name the *city*.

Hamilton. 4 for Pete.

(Because of the Niagara Escarpment, they call themselves the City
of Waterfalls.)

> 6. Name either waterfall G or H. You need not say which one it is.
> Hint: part of one name refers to something you might put on
> a table; the other name may remind you of some well-known
> reference books.

Devil's Punchbowl (G), Webster's Falls (H).

> 7. Pictures M and N were taken at different times and from slightly
> different viewpoints, but they show the same place. It is
> named as a waterfall even though it might not look like one
> from the photos. *Either* name the waterfall *or* just name
> the Canadian city where it's located.

Reversing Falls, St. John, NB.

This part of the St. John River is a tidal estuary. In picture N,
the tide is going out. Picture M shows slack water, when the tidal
current stops before going the other way. When the tide is coming
in, the current reverses, but it's not intense enough to make a
dramatic picture.

> 8. Picture F shows three waterfalls. Name the *middle* one;
> that is, the little one nearest to the main rainbow.

Bridal Veil Falls or Luna Falls. (Part of Niagara Falls, of course.)
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Pictures T and U show the same waterfall from different angles.
> Hint: The two countries that you're seeing, and the river,
> all have names starting with the same letter, *but not
> the waterfall*; that name starts with a different letter.
> Name the *waterfall*.

Victoria Falls. (It's on the Zambezi River in Zambia and Zimbabwe.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. Similarly, pictures R and S show the same waterfall from
> different angles. Where Niagara Falls consists of 3 smaller
> falls, this one consists of over 200. Give the overall name
> of the falls, which is also the name of the river.

Iguassu (also spelled Iguazú or Iguaçu) Falls/River. (In Argentina
and Brazil.) 4 for Erland.

> 11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
> There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
> All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
> What country?

Norway. Erland (of course) and Pete got this.

A Rjoandefossen about 4 miles S of Flåm, beside the railway
B Kjosfossen about 10 miles S of Flåm, beside the railway
C Vøringsfossen near Eidfjord, about 60 miles E of Bergen,
near the road to Oslo
D De Syv Søstrene<*> on the Geirangerfjord, about 30 miles SE of Ålesund
E Låtefossen near Odda, about 50 miles SE of Bergen
K Laksforsen near Trofors, about 200 miles NE of Trondheim

<*> or Dei Sju Systrene or the Seven Sisters.

> * Game 6, Round 8 - History - Monarchs and Rulers

> 1. Who was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover?

Victoria. (As in, y'know, Victoria Falls.) 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have completed the
> previous question. Who was the last British monarch *not*
> buried in Britain? He was buried in Hanover, in fact, in the
> year seventeen twenty-seven. Give his name and, if applicable,
> his number.

George I. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Who was the first Bourbon king of France, crowned in 1589 upon
> his conversion to Catholicism? Give either his name and number
> *as king of France*, or else his *other* royal title.

Henry (or Henri) IV, Henry of Navarre. I also accepted "King of
Navarre", as the question might be read as asking for that answer.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Name the family dynasty that ruled Milan from 1450 to 1537.
> Their family name is derived from a word for the use of
> military might.

Sforza ["SSFORTZ-uh"]. ("Force".) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. What was the First Family of Florence that eventually became its
> rulers from 1434 to 1537, and also produced three or four popes
> -- count 'em, three or four!

Medici ["MED-ee-chee"]. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete,
and Calvin.

Giovanni de' Medici became Leo X, pope 1513-21. He was cousin to
Clement VII, pope 1523-34, and uncle to Leo XI, pope for a few weeks
in 1605. The "or four" is Pius IV, pope 1559-65. His real name was
also Giovanni Medici, but he came from humble beginnings in Milan
and apparently the powerful Medicis of Florence only claimed him as
a relative after he became pope -- uh-*huh*.

> 6. What family ruled in Mantua from 1328 to 1708? In addition to
> their secular powers, this family produced many eminent
> churchmen, including a Jesuit who was named a saint, but no
> popes -- count 'em, none.

Gonzaga. (St. Aloysius Gonzaga lived 1568-91.) 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Who is the current king of Saudi Arabia? If the answer has
> changed since the original game, you must give the now-current
> answer.

Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. "Salman" was sufficient. 4 for Erland.

By the way, we got this wrong in the original game; we missed the
death in January 2015 of the previous monarch, Salman's half-brother
Abdullah.

> 8. Who was the last, mostly recognized, king of Albania? His name
> was three letters long. In the 1987 film "Aria" he was played
> by -- of all people -- Theresa Russell.

Zog (I). I accepted Zug. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Excluding emperors, who was the last *king* of France?
> He abdicated in 1848.

Louis Philippe (I). (Reigned 1830-48. Both names were required.)
4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Who was the last king of Romania, prior to the abolition of
> its monarchy in 1947?

Mihai or Michael (I). 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Mis Lit Spo Geo His FOUR
Dan Blum 36 16 16 24 6 27 103
Joshua Kreitzer 20 28 16 20 12 20 88
Dan Tilque 40 8 0 20 12 12 84
Marc Dashevsky 36 20 8 20 4 4 84
Stephen Perry 40 36 -- -- -- -- 76
"Calvin" 35 12 0 12 0 16 75
Pete Gayde 16 16 4 8 20 4 60
Peter Smyth 32 8 -- -- 0 20 60
Erland Sommarskog 28 0 0 8 12 12 60
Bruce Bowler 36 0 0 20 -- -- 56
Björn Lundin 24 0 0 0 -- -- 24
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 0 0 0 0 8

--
Mark Brader "The great strength of the totalitarian state
Toronto is that it will force those who fear it

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 9, 2016, 3:09:24 AM9/9/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 11. And again, here's an extra question for fun, but for no points.
>> There were six decoys -- picture K and the whole first page.
>> All six of these waterfalls are located in the *same country*.
>> What country?
>
> Norway. Erland (of course) and Pete got this.

"Of course" - I don't think that I am better equipped than anyone else
to figure it out. It's not that I go over to Norway every weekend to
look at waterfalls. In fact, I have not crossed that border in the last
forty years or so. However, you can tell from the vegetation in the
picture that this is somewhere with a temperate climate, why Norway seemed
like a likely guess.

Mark Brader

Sep 9, 2016, 3:19:00 AM9/9/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> "Of course" - I don't think that I am better equipped than anyone else
> to figure it out. It's not that I go over to Norway every weekend to
> look at waterfalls.

Well, you should. :-)

I particularly like D and E.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What Europe needs is a fresh, unused mind."
m...@vex.net | -- Foreign Correspondent

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 9, 2016, 12:16:11 PM9/9/16
In article <N8udnSDG5qdbp0_K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> > 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
> > same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
> > second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
> > name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.
>
> Tahquamenon Falls, high tannin content (leached from cedar swamps
> upstream). I did not consider "leaves and other organic material"
> close enough. 4 for Pete.

Not close enough? What did you require? "Cedar?" "Tannin?"

Mark Brader

Sep 9, 2016, 12:58:42 PM9/9/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 1. Pictures P and Q show the upper and lower falls of the
>>> same waterfall in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's the
>>> second-highest US waterfall east of the Mississippi. *Either*
>>> name the waterfall *or* explain the color of the water.
>>
>> Tahquamenon Falls, high tannin content (leached from cedar swamps
>> upstream). I did not consider "leaves and other organic material"
>> close enough. 4 for Pete.

Marc Dashevsky:
> Not close enough? What did you require? "Cedar?" "Tannin?"

"Tannin", yes. Or a reasonable approximation of "Tahquamenon".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What do I do for fun? Knit. And pet cats.
m...@vex.net | I'm hopelessly stereotypical." --Margaret Miles