Calvin's Quiz #460

Calvin

Oct 7, 2016, 1:26:19 AM10/7/16
1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash recorded live albums.
2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?
3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?
4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?
5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?
6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of which tree?
7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?
8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?
9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2016, 1:33:53 AM10/7/16
"Calvin":
> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny
> Cash recorded live albums.

Folsom.

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Abu Dhabi.

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the
> noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

I could answer this but I'm too argon to bother. :-)

> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a
> translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?

Hallelujah.

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?

20.

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and
> leaves of which tree?

Wormwood.

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?

London School of Economics. One of my nieces went there.

> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is
> set in which Caribbean country?

None.

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon.

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is
> (normally) worth 13 penalty points?

Queen of spades.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I shot a query into the net.
m...@vex.net | I haven't got an answer yet..." --Ed Nather

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2016, 1:35:34 AM10/7/16
"Calvin":
> > 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Mark Brader:
> Abu Dhabi.

Dang! I meant Dubai. For some reason I was thinking that that was the
name of the emirate containing Abu Dhabi, not a city.
--
Mark Brader | "...what can be asserted without evidence
Toronto | can also be dismissed without evidence."

Björn Lundin

Oct 7, 2016, 5:25:45 AM10/7/16
On 2016-10-07 07:26, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash recorded live albums.
Sing-Sing
> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?
Dubai city
> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?
> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?
> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?
89
> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of which tree?
Eucalyphtus
> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?
> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?
Cuba
> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
Saigon
> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?
Queen of Spades

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

bbowler

Oct 7, 2016, 9:17:26 AM10/7/16
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 22:26:19 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash
> recorded live albums.

Folsom

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?
> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble
> gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

Argon

> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of
the
> Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?

Hallelujah

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris
> have?

13

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of
> which tree?

Wormwood

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?
> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in
> which Caribbean country?

Cuba

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Hanoi

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally)
worth
> 13 penalty points?

Queen of Spades

Peter Smyth

Oct 7, 2016, 9:22:36 AM10/7/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash
> recorded live albums.
San Quentin
> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?
Dubai
> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble
> gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?
Argon
> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of
> the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?
Hallelujah
> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?
20
> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of
> which tree?
Aniseed
> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?
London School of Economics
> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in
> which Caribbean country?
Jamaica
> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
Saigon
> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally)
> worth 13 penalty points?
Queen of Spades

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 7, 2016, 12:12:06 PM10/7/16
In article <7d937793-9347-498d...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash recorded live albums.
Folsom Prison

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?
Dubai

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?
argon

> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?
hallelujah

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?
around dix?

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of which tree?
wormwood

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?
> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?
Cuba

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?
Saigon

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?
queen of spades

> cheers,
> calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 7, 2016, 1:08:03 PM10/7/16
On 2016-10-07, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash recorded live albums.

Folsom

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Dubai

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

Argon

> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?

Hava naguila

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?

20

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of which tree?

Wormwood

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?

London School of Economics

> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?

Cuba

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?

Queen of Spades

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 7, 2016, 3:18:45 PM10/7/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash
> recorded live albums.

San Quentin

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Dubai

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble
> gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

Argon

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?

XX

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?

London Stock Exchange :-)

> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in
> which Caribbean country?

Bahamas

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

Dan Tilque

Oct 7, 2016, 5:48:32 PM10/7/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash recorded live albums.

San Quentin

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Toronto

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

argon

> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?

Hallelujah

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?

29

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of which tree?

acacia ??

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?

London School of Economics

> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?

Cuba

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?

queen of spades

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Oct 7, 2016, 6:57:14 PM10/7/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash
> recorded live albums.

San Quentin

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Dubai

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and
> one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

Neon

> 4 Which
> word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew
> term "Praise the Lord"?

Hallelujah

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?

15

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and
> leaves of which tree?

Acacia

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?

Leeds

> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the
> Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?

Cuba

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts,
> which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?

Queen of Spades

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Oct 13, 2016, 6:20:33 PM10/13/16
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 3:26:19 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Name either of the two California prisons in which Johnny Cash recorded live albums.

Folsom or San Quentin

> 2 The world's tallest structure is located in which city?

Dubai

> 3 The name of which element, atomic number 18 and one of the noble gases, comes from the Greek for "lazy"?

Argon

> 4 Which word is both a much-covered song title and a translation of the Hebrew term "Praise the Lord"?

Hallelujah

> 5 How many arrondissements does Paris have?

20

> 6 Absinthe is traditionally flavoured with the flowers and leaves of which tree?

[Grand] Wormwood

> 7 Which British university is known by the acronym LSE?

London School of Economics

> 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea" is set in which Caribbean country?

Cuba
It was written in the Bahamas but is set in Cuba (though much of the action takes place at sea).

> 9 Which city was renamed Ho Chi Minh City in 1976?

Saigon

> 10 In the trick-taking card game Hearts, which card is (normally) worth 13 penalty points?

Queen of Spades

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 460
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 54 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 49 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 8 51 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 8 54 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 48 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 6 40 Bruce Bowler
1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 6 43 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 5 36 Erland S
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 4 28 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
8 6 7 7 3 4 4 6 8 8 61 68%

Congratulations Chris.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 13, 2016, 6:31:22 PM10/13/16
"Calvin":
> > 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea"
> > is set in which Caribbean country?
>
> Cuba
> It was written in the Bahamas but is set in Cuba (though much of
> the action takes place at sea).

*Most* of the story, about 3/4 of its length, takes place at sea.
I want at least a half-point for "None".
--
Mark Brader | "There is a pervasive illusion in certain quarters
Toronto | that Mother Nature is our friend. Wrong; dead wrong.
| and she loves surprises." -- Henry Spencer

Calvin

Oct 14, 2016, 1:26:25 AM10/14/16
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:31:22 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 8 The Ernest Hemmingway novella "The Old Man and the Sea"
> > > is set in which Caribbean country?
> >
> > Cuba
> > It was written in the Bahamas but is set in Cuba (though much of
> > the action takes place at sea).
>
> *Most* of the story, about 3/4 of its length, takes place at sea.
> I want at least a half-point for "None".

The question clearly asked for a country. Protest denied.

cheers,
calvin