QFTCI16 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: two borders, C for Challenge

Mark Brader

Aug 3, 2016, 1:03:56 AM8/3/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote both of these rounds.

* Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders

In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
"borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.

1. Italy, Slovakia.
2. Chad, Mali.
3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.
4. India, Iran.
5. Brunei, Indonesia.
6. Romania, Turkey.
7. Nicaragua, Panama.
8. Ecuador, Venezuela.
9. Finland, Poland.
10. Armenia, Greece.

* Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round

This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:

* A. Geography: Seas

A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
by area?

* B. History: Seize

B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
Canal from its British and French owners?

B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
control of Kuwait?

* C. Science: Sees

C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
different distances is reduced, so that they may need
bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
that term?

C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
this condition called?

* D. Religion: Sees

D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

* E. Canadiana Sports: C's

E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
to 2008?

E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
to 1969?

* F. Entertainment: C.C.'s

F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
little spoken dialogue. Name him.

F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Don't be silly -- send it to Canada"
m...@vex.net -- British postal worker

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 3, 2016, 7:01:48 AM8/3/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.

Niger

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya

> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Bulgaria

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sarragosso Sea

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1956

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1990

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

Astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

Arch bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Charlie Chan

Björn Lundin

Aug 3, 2016, 7:34:16 AM8/3/16
On 2016-08-03 07:03, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.
Austria
> 2. Chad, Mali.
Mauretania?
> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.
Kenya
> 4. India, Iran.
Pakistan
> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.
East Timor?
> 6. Romania, Turkey.
Bulgaria
> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.
Costa Rica
> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.
Columbia
> 9. Finland, Poland.
Russia
> 10. Armenia, Greece.
Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sargassso sea ?

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Black Sea; Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?
1956

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1990

(I think it was Aug 2nd. It was in early August)

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?
>
> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?
>

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?
>
> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?
>

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?

Mats Sundin :-)

> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?

Too early for Börje Salming.

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

Björn

Dan Blum

Aug 3, 2016, 9:57:13 AM8/3/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders

> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.

Algeria; Nigeria

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya

> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Greece

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round

> * A. Geography: Seas

> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30? north. What sea is that?

Sargasso Sea

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize

> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1956

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1991

> * C. Science: Sees

> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?

presbyopia

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees

> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s

> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 3, 2016, 11:52:12 AM8/3/16
In article <2KSdnbPQWuuq5jzK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.
Austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.
Niger

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.
Kenya

> 4. India, Iran.
Pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.
Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.
Ukraine

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.
Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.
Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.
Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.
Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?
Sargasso Sea

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?
Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?
1957

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?
1990

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?
>
> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?
astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?
Cardinal

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?
Vatican City

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?
>
> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?
>

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.
Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?
Chevy Chase

bbowler

Aug 3, 2016, 12:48:31 PM8/3/16
On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 00:03:51 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the only
> country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By "borders"
> we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.
> 2. Chad, Mali.
> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.
> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.
> 6. Romania, Turkey.
> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Columbia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the shores of
> the oceans. But there is one named sea that is in the middle of
> an ocean with no shoreline. It is located near latitude 30°
> north. What sea is that?

Sargasso

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all; they
> are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Black

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?
>
> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?
>

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need bifocals or
> reading glasses. The medical term for this condition derives
> from a word referring to age; what is that term?

Presbyopia

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is this
> condition called?

Astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

Bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?
>
> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?
>

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself, as
> well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent movies and
> even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very little spoken
> dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch" and
> the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

Peter Smyth

Aug 3, 2016, 2:50:25 PM8/3/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.
Slovenia
> 2. Chad, Mali.
Niger
> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.
Kenya
> 4. India, Iran.
Pakistan
> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.
Malaysia
> 6. Romania, Turkey.
Bulgaria
> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.
Costa Rica
> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.
Colombia
> 9. Finland, Poland.
Russia
> 10. Armenia, Greece.
Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?
>
> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?
Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?
1958, 1955
> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?
1990

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?
>
> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?
Astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?
Bishop
> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?
Vatican City

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?
>
> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?
>

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.
Charlie Chaplin
> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?
Chevy Chase

Peter Smyth

Pete

Aug 3, 2016, 3:26:51 PM8/3/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:2KSdnbPQWuuq5jzKnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.

Niger

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya

> 4. India, Iran.

Afghanistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Bulgaria

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sargasso

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1955; 1958

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1991

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?

Astigmatism; Myopia

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

Astigmatism; Myopia

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

Bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?
>
> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?
>

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Aug 3, 2016, 7:56:11 PM8/3/16
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 3:03:56 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.

Burkina Faso, Niger

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya, Uganda

> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan, Afghanistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Bulgaria

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sargasso?

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1956

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1991

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?
>
> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

Astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

Bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?

Colin Cowdrey
That's a cricket joke

> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?

Colin Croft
Ditto

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

cheers,
calvin
Who fits the theme!

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 3, 2016, 9:04:27 PM8/3/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:2KSdnbPQWuuq5jzKnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya

> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Bulgaria

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sargasso Sea

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1957

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1990

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?

presbyopia

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charles Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Aug 3, 2016, 9:06:13 PM8/3/16
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 1:03:56 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote both of these rounds.
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.
> 2. Chad, Mali.
> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.
Kenya
> 4. India, Iran.
Pakistan?
> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.
Singapore?
> 6. Romania, Turkey.
> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.
> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.
Peru
> 9. Finland, Poland.
Russia
> 10. Armenia, Greece.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?
>
> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?
>

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?
1961?

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?
1990

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?
>
> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?
>

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?
Bishop?

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?
The Vatican

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?
>
> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?
>

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.
Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?
Chevy Chase

swp

Aug 3, 2016, 9:07:44 PM8/3/16
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 1:03:56 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

I bid 3 clubs...

> I wrote both of these rounds.

challenge accepted!

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.

niger

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

kenya

> 4. India, Iran.

pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

bulgaria

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

costa rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

sargasso sea

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

caspian sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1956

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1990

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?

presbyopia?

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

vatican city

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?

mats sundin

> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?

chief george armstrong

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

charlie chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

chevy chase

swp

Dan Tilque

Aug 4, 2016, 12:45:54 AM8/4/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders
>
> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.
>
> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria

> 2. Chad, Mali.

Libya

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya

> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Bulgaria

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:
>
> * A. Geography: Seas
>
> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sargasso Sea

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian Sea

> * B. History: Seize
>
> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1956

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1990

> * C. Science: Sees
>
> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?

presbyopia

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

astigmatism

> * D. Religion: Sees
>
> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

bishop

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's
>
> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?
>
> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?
>

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s
>
> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charlie Chaplin

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 6, 2016, 12:23:07 AM8/6/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-13,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Hearty congratulations to JOSHUA KREITZER for winning Game 4!

> I wrote both of these rounds.

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Geography - Two of its Borders

> In each question we will name two countries; you must name the
> only country that has borders with both of them. For example,
> if we said Canada and Mexico, you would say the USA. Note: By
> "borders" we mean borders on land, including rivers if applicable.

> 1. Italy, Slovakia.

Austria. 4 for Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Calvin, Joshua,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Chad, Mali.

Niger. 4 for Erland, Marc, Peter, Pete, and Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

> 3. Ethiopia, Tanzania.

Kenya. 4 for Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete, Joshua,
Jason, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 4. India, Iran.

Pakistan. 4 for Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Peter, Joshua,
Jason, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 5. Brunei, Indonesia.

Malaysia. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete, Calvin, Joshua,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Romania, Turkey.

Bulgaria. 4 for Erland, Björn, Peter, Pete, Calvin, Joshua, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Nicaragua, Panama.

Costa Rica. 4 for Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Peter,
Pete, Calvin, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Ecuador, Venezuela.

Colombia. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete, Calvin, Joshua,
Stephen, Dan Tilque, Björn, and Bruce.

> 9. Finland, Poland.

Russia. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce,
Peter, Pete, Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

(You may -- and apparently do -- remember from last week's geography
round that its Kaliningrad exclave lies on the Baltic coast bordering
Poland and Lithuania.)

> 10. Armenia, Greece.

Turkey. 4 for Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete, Calvin,
Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

(It's partly in Europe and partly in Asia, after all...)

> * Game 4, Round 10 - C is for Challenge Round

> This is the challenge round, and your categories are seas,
> seize, sees, sees, C's, and C.C.'s. Specifically:

This was the easiest round in the original game, and it was 2nd-
or 4th-easiest in the entire season, depending on whether bonus
points in other rounds are counted or not.

> * A. Geography: Seas

> A1. Many parts of oceans are named as "seas". Most of them,
> like the Irish Sea and the Sea of Japan, are along the
> shores of the oceans. But there is one named sea that is
> in the middle of an ocean with no shoreline. It is located
> near latitude 30° north. What sea is that?

Sargasso Sea. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Pete, Calvin,
Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> A2. There are also bodies of water named seas that have shoreline
> on all sides, because they aren't part of the ocean at all;
> they are actually lakes. What is the largest of these,
> by area?

Caspian Sea. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Pete, Calvin,
Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Björn.

The Black Sea *is* part of the ocean.

> * B. History: Seize

> B1. Within 1, in what year did Egypt seize control of the Suez
> Canal from its British and French owners?

1956 (accepting 1955-57). 4 for Erland, Björn, Dan Blum, Marc,
Calvin, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete. 2 for Peter.

> B2. In what year, exactly, did Iraq under Saddam Hussein seize
> control of Kuwait?

1990. 4 for Erland, Björn, Marc, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Science: Sees

> C1. As people get older, the ability of their eyes to focus at
> different distances is reduced, so that they may need
> bifocals or reading glasses. The medical term for this
> condition derives from a word referring to age; what is
> that term?

Presbyopia ["PREZ-bee-OH-pee-uh"]. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. People whose eyes lack the usual symmetry may not be able
> to focus well at any distance. Lenses with a cylindrical
> component are prescribed to correct this condition. What is
> this condition called?

Astigmatism. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Peter, Calvin,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> * D. Religion: Sees

> D1. In the Roman Catholic church, a "see" generally means the
> area assigned to a clergyman of what rank?

Bishop. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, Pete, Calvin, Joshua, Jason,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> D2. The Holy See is another name for what place?

Vatican City. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Peter, Pete,
Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Canadiana Sports: C's

> E1. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1997
> to 2008?

Mats Sundin. 4 for Björn and Stephen.

> E2. Who was the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1957
> to 1969?

George Armstrong. 4 for Stephen.

> * F. Entertainment: C.C.'s

> F1. This actor with the initials C.C. appeared in 11 feature
> films from 1921 to 1967 that he wrote and directed himself,
> as well as a large number of shorts. He embraced silent
> movies and even in 1936 his film "Modern Times" had very
> little spoken dialogue. Name him.

Charles (Charlie) Chaplin. 4 for everyone.

> F2. This actor with the initials C.C. was on "Saturday Night
> Live", and you weren't. His movies have included "Fletch"
> and the "Vacation" series. Who is he?

Chevy Chase. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Peter, Pete,
Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Mis Lit Spo His Sci Geo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 4 28 36 28 4 22 36 36 186
Dan Blum 12 28 28 14 20 30 32 36 174
Stephen Perry 36 40 -- -- -- -- 40 48 164
Dan Tilque 0 27 16 12 8 32 36 40 163
Pete Gayde 16 16 28 27 20 0 36 30 157
Marc Dashevsky 8 12 4 20 4 40 36 32 148
Peter Smyth 0 20 19 20 12 20 36 30 145
"Calvin" -- -- 11 28 6 12 36 32 125
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 16 24 0 40 27 107
Björn Lundin 0 4 7 7 8 0 32 26 84
Bruce Bowler 12 28 -- -- -- -- 16 28 84
Jason Kreitzer 0 12 12 0 0 8 12 20 64

--
Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you