QFTCISG Game 6, Rounds 4,6: evil paintings, 30 for 30

Mark Brader

Nov 27, 2017, 5:50:56 PM11/27/17
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Arts - Evil Paintings

Since tomorrow is Halloween, here's a round on paintings with some
evil imagery. I have rearranged the round in order by picture
number on the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r4/evil.pdf

In each case, we will give you the title and date of the painting,
and you give us the artist. There were 3 decoys, which appear in
their numerical position, interspersed with the rest; answer the
decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. "Electric Chair" (1964).
2. Untitled devil's head (1987).
3. "The Nightmare" (1781).
4. "The Face of War" (1940).
5. "Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette" (1885).
6. Decoy -- "Saturn Devouring His Son" (1636).
7. This is also titled "Saturn Devouring His Son" (but it's from
c.1819-23).

8. "Massacre of the Innocents" (1611-12).
9. "Flaying of the Marsyas" (c.1570).
10. "The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea" (c.1805-10).
11. Decoy -- "Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X"
(1953).

12. Decoy -- "Vienna State Opera House" (1912).
13. "Head" (1938).

* Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30

In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
a question about that event.

1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
in 1996. What city?

2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
league? (Short form acceptable.)

3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
What team was it that selected him in the draft?

4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
Name him.

5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
Be specific, don't just name the athlete.

6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?

7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
the event?

8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.

9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?

10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
her successful start in world championships, her amazing
performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?

--
Mark Brader "I used to think that the name C++
Toronto was a euphemism for D-."

Dan Blum

Nov 27, 2017, 10:45:22 PM11/27/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Arts - Evil Paintings

> 1. "Electric Chair" (1964).

Andy Warhol

> 3. "The Nightmare" (1781).

Sargent

> 4. "The Face of War" (1940).

Salvador Dali

> 7. This is also titled "Saturn Devouring His Son" (but it's from
> c.1819-23).

El Greco; Goya

> 8. "Massacre of the Innocents" (1611-12).

Raphael

> 9. "Flaying of the Marsyas" (c.1570).

Raphael

> 13. "Head" (1938).

Picasso

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30

> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?

St. Louis

> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)

USFL

> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?

Chicago Bulls; Los Angeles Lakers

> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?

South Africa

> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?

Tupac; Biggie Smalls

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 28, 2017, 12:02:11 AM11/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:y7OdncjU58dWC4HHnZ2dnUU7-
KHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Arts - Evil Paintings
>
> Since tomorrow is Halloween, here's a round on paintings with some
> evil imagery. I have rearranged the round in order by picture
> number on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r4/evil.pdf
>
> In each case, we will give you the title and date of the painting,
> and you give us the artist.
>
> 4. "The Face of War" (1940).

Dali (?)

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?

Baltimore

> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)

USFL

> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?

Boston Celtics

> 4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
> this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
> After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
> of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
> students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
> 15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
> to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
> Name him.

Allan Iverson

> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.

the pursuit of O.J. Simpson in the white Bronco

> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?

South Africa

> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.

Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert

> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?

Tupac Shakur

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Nov 28, 2017, 3:29:37 AM11/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:y7OdncjU58dWC4HHnZ2dnUU7-
KHN...@giganews.com:

Dali

> 5. "Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette" (1885).
> 6. Decoy -- "Saturn Devouring His Son" (1636).
> 7. This is also titled "Saturn Devouring His Son" (but it's from
> c.1819-23).
>
> 8. "Massacre of the Innocents" (1611-12).
> 9. "Flaying of the Marsyas" (c.1570).
> 10. "The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea" (c.1805-10).
> 11. Decoy -- "Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X"
> (1953).
>
> 12. Decoy -- "Vienna State Opera House" (1912).
> 13. "Head" (1938).
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?

Cleveland

> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)

USFL

> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?

Boston Celtics

> 4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
> this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
> After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
> of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
> students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
> 15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
> to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
> Name him.

Alan Iverson

> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.

O.J. Simpson's "car chase" in the White Bronco

> 6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
> built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
> association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
> world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?

Tony Hawks

> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?

South Africa

> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.

Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova

> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?

Tupac Shakur

> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?

Marion Jones

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Nov 28, 2017, 5:25:41 AM11/28/17
Picasso

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?
>
> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)

United States Football League

> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?
>
> 4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
> this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
> After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
> of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
> students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
> 15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
> to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
> Name him.
>
> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.

OJ Simpson being arrested for murder

> 6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
> built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
> association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
> world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?
>
> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?

South Africa

> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.

Chris Evert and Bilie Jean King

> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?

2Pac

> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Nov 28, 2017, 11:54:23 AM11/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what was the marching
OJ Simpson car chase
> 6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
> built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
> association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
> world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?
>
> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?
South Africa
> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.
Chris Evert / Martina Navratilova
> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?
Tupac Shakur
> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?
Marion Jones

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 28, 2017, 2:43:24 PM11/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?

Dallas

> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.

O.J Simpson was accused of murder

> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?

South Africa

> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.

Chris Evert & Martina Navratilova

> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?

M Jones

Jason Kreitzer

Nov 28, 2017, 6:19:10 PM11/28/17
On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 5:50:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly.
> >
> > On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give
> > both a right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
> > Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> > based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote
> > the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal
> > the correct answers in about 3 days.
> >
> > All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> > used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> > been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> > my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Arts - Evil Paintings
>
> Since tomorrow is Halloween, here's a round on paintings with some
> evil imagery. I have rearranged the round in order by picture
> number on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r4/evil.pdf
>
> In each case, we will give you the title and date of the painting,
> and you give us the artist. There were 3 decoys, which appear in
> their numerical position, interspersed with the rest; answer the
> decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. "Electric Chair" (1964).
Duchamp?
> 2. Untitled devil's head (1987).
> 3. "The Nightmare" (1781).
> 4. "The Face of War" (1940).
Dali?
> 5. "Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette" (1885).
> 6. Decoy -- "Saturn Devouring His Son" (1636).
> 7. This is also titled "Saturn Devouring His Son" (but it's from
> c.1819-23).
>
> 8. "Massacre of the Innocents" (1611-12).
> 9. "Flaying of the Marsyas" (c.1570).
> 10. "The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea" (c.1805-10).
> 11. Decoy -- "Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X"
> (1953).
>
> 12. Decoy -- "Vienna State Opera House" (1912).
> 13. "Head" (1938).
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?
Baltimore
> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)
USFL
> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?
Boston Celtics?
> 4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
> this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
> After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
> of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
> students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
> 15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
> to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
> Name him.
>
> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.
OJ Simpson's car chase
> 6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
> built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
> association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
> world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?
>
> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?
>
> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.
Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert-Lloyd
> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?
2Pac
> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?
Jackie Joyner-Kersee

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 30, 2017, 2:58:30 PM11/30/17
In article <y7OdncjU58dWC4HH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30
>
> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.
>
> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?
Baltimore

> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)
USFL

> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?
Boston Celtics

> 4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
> this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
> After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
> of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
> students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
> 15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
> to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
> Name him.
Iverson

> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.
freeway chase of O.J. Simpson

> 6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
> built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
> association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
> world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?
>
> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?
>
> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.
Chris Evert and Martina Navratalova

> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?
Tupac Shakur

> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?

Mark Brader

Nov 30, 2017, 11:36:26 PM11/30/17
Mark Brader:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-30,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
>> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Arts - Evil Paintings

> Since tomorrow is Halloween, here's a round on paintings with some
> evil imagery. I have rearranged the round in order by picture
> number on the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r4/evil.pdf

> In each case, we will give you the title and date of the painting,
> and you give us the artist. There were 3 decoys, which appear in
> their numerical position, interspersed with the rest; answer the
> decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried the decoys.

> 1. "Electric Chair" (1964).

Andy Warhol. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Untitled devil's head (1987).

Jean-Michel Basquiat.

> 3. "The Nightmare" (1781).

Henry Fuseli.

> 4. "The Face of War" (1940).

Salvador Dali. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Jason.

> 5. "Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette" (1885).

Vincent van Gogh.

> 6. Decoy -- "Saturn Devouring His Son" (1636).

Peter Paul Rubens.

> 7. This is also titled "Saturn Devouring His Son" (but it's from
> c.1819-23).

Francisco Goya. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 8. "Massacre of the Innocents" (1611-12).

Peter Paul Rubens.

> 9. "Flaying of the Marsyas" (c.1570).

Titian.

> 10. "The Great Red Dragon and the Beast from the Sea" (c.1805-10).

William Blake.

> 11. Decoy -- "Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X"
> (1953).

Francis Bacon.

> 12. Decoy -- "Vienna State Opera House" (1912).

Adolf Hitler. And you thought that one didn't look evil!

> 13. "Head" (1938).

Pablo Picasso. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Sports - ESPN 30 for 30

> In celebration of their 30th anniversary in 2009, ESPN began
> producing a series of documentaries about historic sporting events.
> There were originally going to be 30 of them -- the series was
> later extended -- so they titled the series "30 for 30". In each
> case we'll give you the title of one of the documentaries and some
> information about the event it describes, and you'll have to answer
> a question about that event.

> 1. "The Band that Wouldn't Die" follows what *was* the marching
> band for an NFL team -- until the franchise left town in 1984.
> The band stayed in their home city and played at other sporting
> events until the city was rewarded with a new NFL franchise
> in 1996. What city?

Baltimore. (Indianapolis Colts, Baltimore Ravens.) 4 for Joshua,
Jason, and Marc.

> 2. "Small Potatoes" details the history of this professional sports
> league that began and ended in the mid-80s. Its demise was in
> large part due to the actions of franchise owner Donald Trump,
> as he decided to directly challenge the NFL in an anti-monopoly
> lawsuit, and was awarded all of $3. What was the name of this
> league? (Short form acceptable.)

USFL (United States Football League). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete,
Dan Tilque, Jason, and Marc.

> 3. "Without Bias" centers on basketball player Len Bias, who died
> of a cocaine overdose two days after being selected second
> overall in the 1986 NBA draft. This event would lead to the
> changing of the NBA's view on casual drug use in the league.
> What team was it that selected him in the draft?

Boston Celtics. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Jason, and Marc.

> 4. "No Crossover: The Trial of <answer 4>" follows the trial of
> this NBA superstar while he was still in high school in 1993.
> After an altercation at a bowling alley, this individual and many
> of his friends were charged with assault, while all of the white
> students who were involved walked away. Initially sentenced to
> 15 years in prison, he was pardoned after 4 months and went on
> to be selected 1st overall in 1996 by the Philadelphia 76ers.
> Name him.

Allen Iverson. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Marc.

> 5. "June 17th, 1994" is about a day in sporting history: events
> on the same day included Arnold Palmer's last US Open round,
> the opening of the first World Cup played in the US, and
> Game 5 of the NBA finals. But they were all overshadowed
> by one athlete's run-in with the law. What was this event?
> Be specific, don't just name the athlete.

O.J. Simpson was chased and finally arrested by police. 4 for Joshua,
Pete, Dan Tilque, Peter, Jason, and Marc. 3 for Erland.

> 6. "The Birth of Big Air" centers on this BMX legend who pretty much
> built the sport into what it is today. In fact, the BMX sporting
> association responsible for organizing BMX events around the
> world, including for the X Games, is named after him. Who is he?

Matt Hoffman.

> 7. "16th Man" follows this nation's hosting of the 1995 Rugby
> World Cup, which they ultimately won. After winning the final,
> the country's president himself wore a Springbok rugby jersey to
> award the finals trophy to captain Francois Pienaar, which many
> consider one of the most famous finals moments in sports history.
> A movie was made on the subject in 2009. Which country hosted
> the event?

South Africa. (Nelson Mandela, "Invictus".) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Pete, Dan Tilque, Peter, and Erland.

> 8. "Unmatched" follows one of the greatest rivalries in tennis
> history, between these two women in the 1970s and 1980s.
> They would meet in 80 matches, including 14 Grand Slam event
> finals. Both have 18 Grand Slam event final titles and have
> been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. Name both players.

Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Peter, Erland,
Jason, and Marc.

> 9. "One Night in Vegas" is about Mike Tyson and his friendship with
> this rapper, who was murdered after attending the Tyson-Sheldon
> fight in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996. Who is this rapper?

Tupac Shakur. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, Peter, Jason, and Marc.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. "Press Pause" follows this track and field athlete's career:
> her successful start in world championships, her amazing
> performance at the 2000 Olympics, and her ultimate fall after
> admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2007. She was
> stripped of all her Olympic medals. Who is this athlete?

Marion Jones. 4 for Pete, Peter, and Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Can Art Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 19 16 4 32 71
Pete Gayde 13 6 4 32 55
Dan Blum 17 2 14 11 44
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 0 28 28
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 4 24 28
Peter Smyth -- -- 0 20 20
Dan Tilque -- -- 4 16 20
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 15 15

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "In my case, self-absorption is
m...@vex.net completely justified." -- LAURA