QFTCI5EP Game 1, Rounds 7-8: unreliable narrators and Trump

Mark Brader

Apr 30, 2017, 10:55:32 PM4/30/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction

Unreliable narrators have had a long tradition in literature.
They're characters whose credibility has been compromised and
whose telling of the tale should be suspect.

1. Joseph Conrad employed the same unreliable narrator in four of
his works of fiction: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "Youth",
and "Chance". What is his name?

2. Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
Name one of them. (First or last name.)

3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
What is the title (in English) of that novel?

4. An amateur scholar named Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator
of one of British writer Julian Barnes's novels, is tormented by
memories of his adulterous wife, whose life support he shut off.
What is the title of that novel?

5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?

6. This novel by S.J. Watson features a near-term amnesiac narrator
named Christine Lucas, whose husband may or may not be malevolent.
Perhaps one morning when she awakes, she'll discover the truth.
What is the novel's title?

7. Ken Kesey's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" has one of the
most surprising unreliable narrators in literature. He's half
Native American and appears to be deaf and mute. What is
his name?

8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
Be sufficiently specific.

9. In the opening line of this Ford Madox Ford novel, American
Quaker John Dowell says, "This is the saddest story I have
ever heard". Dowell is either a master manipulator of facts
or a supremely gullible fellow. What is the novel's title?

10. Crime novels often employ unreliable narrators. US writer
Jim Thompson frequently did so. Two of his novels feature
psychopathic lawmen as unreliable narrators. Name either novel.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump

In just a few days, Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th
president of the United States. This round isn't about Trump the
politician, but Trump the businessman and family man. This round
is so incredible, I promise you, you're going to love it!

1. In the late 1980s, this satirical New-York-based magazine
referred to Trump as a "short-fingered vulgarian". Name the
magazine.

2. <answer 1> referred to the ghostwriter for Trump's "Art of the
Deal" as a "former journalist" once the book came out. Last year
the ghostwriter publicly regretted his work on the 1987 book
and spoke out against Trump. Name him.

3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.

4. Family man Trump has fathered at least five children with three
different women. What is the first name of the daughter he
fathered with <answer 3>?

5. Trump has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for six of his business
properties since 1991. Name any one of these six properties.
The full name must be exact.

6. Trump is currently embroiled in lawsuits with two high-profile
chefs who withdrew from planned restaurants in his new Washington
hotel because of his comments about Mexican immigrants.
Name either chef / restaurant owner.

7. Trump's son-in-law was admitted to Harvard in 1998, shortly
after his New Jersey real-estate developer father donated
$2,500,000 to the university. Name the son-in-law.

8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous question: Wnerq'f sngure, Puneyrf Xhfuare, jnf fragraprq
gb 2 lrnef va cevfba va 2005 sbe gnk rinfvba, jvgarff gnzcrevat,
naq vyyrtny pnzcnvta pbagevohgvbaf. Jub jnf gur *HF nggbearl*
va punetr bs gung cebfrphgvba?

9. Trump has been praising Julian Assange and WikiLeaks lately.
In 2010, though, private citizen Trump had a different view.
What did he say then about what should be done to those
responsible for WikiLeaks? Be sufficiently specific.

10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'd opt for Oz, myself."
m...@vex.net --Buck Henry

Dan Blum

Apr 30, 2017, 11:40:37 PM4/30/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction

> 3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
> narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
> What is the title (in English) of that novel?

The Tin Drum

> 5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
> in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?

Gone Girl

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump

> 1. In the late 1980s, this satirical New-York-based magazine
> referred to Trump as a "short-fingered vulgarian". Name the
> magazine.

Spy

> 3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
> wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.

Maples

> 4. Family man Trump has fathered at least five children with three
> different women. What is the first name of the daughter he
> fathered with <answer 3>?

Tiffany

> 5. Trump has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for six of his business
> properties since 1991. Name any one of these six properties.
> The full name must be exact.

Trump Air

> 7. Trump's son-in-law was admitted to Harvard in 1998, shortly
> after his New Jersey real-estate developer father donated
> $2,500,000 to the university. Name the son-in-law.

Jred Kushner

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question: Wnerq'f sngure, Puneyrf Xhfuare, jnf fragraprq
> gb 2 lrnef va cevfba va 2005 sbe gnk rinfvba, jvgarff gnzcrevat,
> naq vyyrtny pnzcnvta pbagevohgvbaf. Jub jnf gur *HF nggbearl*
> va punetr bs gung cebfrphgvba?

Chris Christie

> 10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
> for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
> a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
> last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
> used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?

Central Park Five

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

May 1, 2017, 1:33:54 AM5/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_uCdnf-gUe8DPpvEnZ2dnUU7-
UHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction
>
> 2. Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
> Name one of them. (First or last name.)

Heathcliff

> 3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
> narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
> What is the title (in English) of that novel?

"The Tin Drum"

> 5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
> in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?

"Gone Girl"

> 8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
> mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
> Be sufficiently specific.

The second Mrs. de Winter

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump
>
> 1. In the late 1980s, this satirical New-York-based magazine
> referred to Trump as a "short-fingered vulgarian". Name the
> magazine.

"Spy"

> 3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
> wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.

Marla Maples

> 4. Family man Trump has fathered at least five children with three
> different women. What is the first name of the daughter he
> fathered with <answer 3>?

Tiffany

> 5. Trump has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for six of his business
> properties since 1991. Name any one of these six properties.
> The full name must be exact.

Trump Taj Mahal

> 7. Trump's son-in-law was admitted to Harvard in 1998, shortly
> after his New Jersey real-estate developer father donated
> $2,500,000 to the university. Name the son-in-law.

Jared Kushner

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question: Wnerq'f sngure, Puneyrf Xhfuare, jnf fragraprq
> gb 2 lrnef va cevfba va 2005 sbe gnk rinfvba, jvgarff gnzcrevat,
> naq vyyrtny pnzcnvta pbagevohgvbaf. Jub jnf gur *HF nggbearl*
> va punetr bs gung cebfrphgvba?

Chris Christie (?)

> 10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
> for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
> a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
> last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
> used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?

Central Park Four

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 1, 2017, 1:49:34 AM5/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction
>
> Unreliable narrators have had a long tradition in literature.
> They're characters whose credibility has been compromised and
> whose telling of the tale should be suspect.
>
> 1. Joseph Conrad employed the same unreliable narrator in four of
> his works of fiction: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "Youth",
> and "Chance". What is his name?
>
> 2. Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
Sad!

> 1. In the late 1980s, this satirical New-York-based magazine
> referred to Trump as a "short-fingered vulgarian". Name the
> magazine.

National Lampoon

> 2. <answer 1> referred to the ghostwriter for Trump's "Art of the
> Deal" as a "former journalist" once the book came out. Last year
> the ghostwriter publicly regretted his work on the 1987 book
> and spoke out against Trump. Name him.
>
> 3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
> wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.

Maples

> 4. Family man Trump has fathered at least five children with three
> different women. What is the first name of the daughter he
> fathered with <answer 3>?
>
> 5. Trump has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for six of his business
> properties since 1991. Name any one of these six properties.
> The full name must be exact.

Trump Tower

> 6. Trump is currently embroiled in lawsuits with two high-profile
> chefs who withdrew from planned restaurants in his new Washington
> hotel because of his comments about Mexican immigrants.
> Name either chef / restaurant owner.
>
> 7. Trump's son-in-law was admitted to Harvard in 1998, shortly
> after his New Jersey real-estate developer father donated
> $2,500,000 to the university. Name the son-in-law.

Jared Kushner

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question: Wnerq'f sngure, Puneyrf Xhfuare, jnf fragraprq
> gb 2 lrnef va cevfba va 2005 sbe gnk rinfvba, jvgarff gnzcrevat,
> naq vyyrtny pnzcnvta pbagevohgvbaf. Jub jnf gur *HF nggbearl*
> va punetr bs gung cebfrphgvba?

Chris Christie

> 9. Trump has been praising Julian Assange and WikiLeaks lately.
> In 2010, though, private citizen Trump had a different view.
> What did he say then about what should be done to those
> responsible for WikiLeaks? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
> for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
> a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
> last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
> used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?

Central Park 5

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

May 1, 2017, 12:38:16 PM5/1/17
In article <_uCdnf-gUe8DPpvE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction
>
> Unreliable narrators have had a long tradition in literature.
> They're characters whose credibility has been compromised and
> whose telling of the tale should be suspect.
>
> 1. Joseph Conrad employed the same unreliable narrator in four of
> his works of fiction: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "Youth",
> and "Chance". What is his name?
>
> 2. Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
> Name one of them. (First or last name.)
>
> 3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
> narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
> What is the title (in English) of that novel?
The Tin Drum

> 4. An amateur scholar named Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator
> of one of British writer Julian Barnes's novels, is tormented by
> memories of his adulterous wife, whose life support he shut off.
> What is the title of that novel?
>
> 5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
> in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?
>
> 6. This novel by S.J. Watson features a near-term amnesiac narrator
> named Christine Lucas, whose husband may or may not be malevolent.
> Perhaps one morning when she awakes, she'll discover the truth.
> What is the novel's title?
>
> 7. Ken Kesey's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" has one of the
> most surprising unreliable narrators in literature. He's half
> Native American and appears to be deaf and mute. What is
> his name?
Chief

> 8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
> mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
> Be sufficiently specific.
the mansion's housekeeper
Kushner

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question: Wnerq'f sngure, Puneyrf Xhfuare, jnf fragraprq
> gb 2 lrnef va cevfba va 2005 sbe gnk rinfvba, jvgarff gnzcrevat,
> naq vyyrtny pnzcnvta pbagevohgvbaf. Jub jnf gur *HF nggbearl*
> va punetr bs gung cebfrphgvba?
>
> 9. Trump has been praising Julian Assange and WikiLeaks lately.
> In 2010, though, private citizen Trump had a different view.
> What did he say then about what should be done to those
> responsible for WikiLeaks? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
> for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
> a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
> last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
> used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?
Central Park jogging case

Jason Kreitzer

May 1, 2017, 1:12:23 PM5/1/17
Chief Browden?
> 8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
> mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 9. In the opening line of this Ford Madox Ford novel, American
> Quaker John Dowell says, "This is the saddest story I have
> ever heard". Dowell is either a master manipulator of facts
> or a supremely gullible fellow. What is the novel's title?
>
> 10. Crime novels often employ unreliable narrators. US writer
> Jim Thompson frequently did so. Two of his novels feature
> psychopathic lawmen as unreliable narrators. Name either novel.
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump
>
> In just a few days, Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th
> president of the United States. This round isn't about Trump the
> politician, but Trump the businessman and family man. This round
> is so incredible, I promise you, you're going to love it!
>
> 1. In the late 1980s, this satirical New-York-based magazine
> referred to Trump as a "short-fingered vulgarian". Name the
> magazine.
Spy?

> 2. <answer 1> referred to the ghostwriter for Trump's "Art of the
> Deal" as a "former journalist" once the book came out. Last year
> the ghostwriter publicly regretted his work on the 1987 book
> and spoke out against Trump. Name him.
>
> 3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
> wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.
Maples

Gareth Owen

May 1, 2017, 1:25:30 PM5/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Joseph Conrad employed the same unreliable narrator in four of
> his works of fiction: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "Youth",
> and "Chance". What is his name?

Marlow

> 2. Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
> Name one of them. (First or last name.)

Lockwood

> 3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
> narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
> What is the title (in English) of that novel?

The Tin Drum

> 4. An amateur scholar named Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator
> of one of British writer Julian Barnes's novels, is tormented by
> memories of his adulterous wife, whose life support he shut off.
> What is the title of that novel?

Flaubert's Parrot, Staring at the Sun

> 5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
> in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?

Gone Girl

> 6. This novel by S.J. Watson features a near-term amnesiac narrator
> named Christine Lucas, whose husband may or may not be malevolent.
> Perhaps one morning when she awakes, she'll discover the truth.
> What is the novel's title?

Before I Go To Sleep

> 7. Ken Kesey's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" has one of the
> most surprising unreliable narrators in literature. He's half
> Native American and appears to be deaf and mute. What is
> his name?

Chief

> 8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
> mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
> Be sufficiently specific.

The Second Mrs de Winter

> 9. In the opening line of this Ford Madox Ford novel, American
> Quaker John Dowell says, "This is the saddest story I have
> ever heard". Dowell is either a master manipulator of facts
> or a supremely gullible fellow. What is the novel's title?

A Confederacy of Dunces (yeah, yeah, I know)

> 10. Crime novels often employ unreliable narrators. US writer
> Jim Thompson frequently did so. Two of his novels feature
> psychopathic lawmen as unreliable narrators. Name either novel.

Killer Joe, The Killer Inside Me

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump

Too f*****g depressing.

Calvin

May 1, 2017, 9:41:13 PM5/1/17
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:55:32 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction
>
> Unreliable narrators have had a long tradition in literature.
> They're characters whose credibility has been compromised and
> whose telling of the tale should be suspect.
>
> 1. Joseph Conrad employed the same unreliable narrator in four of
> his works of fiction: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "Youth",
> and "Chance". What is his name?
>
> 2. Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
> Name one of them. (First or last name.)

Cathy, Heathcliff

> 3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
> narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
> What is the title (in English) of that novel?
>
> 4. An amateur scholar named Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator
> of one of British writer Julian Barnes's novels, is tormented by
> memories of his adulterous wife, whose life support he shut off.
> What is the title of that novel?
>
> 5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
> in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?

The Girl on the Train, Gone Girl

> 6. This novel by S.J. Watson features a near-term amnesiac narrator
> named Christine Lucas, whose husband may or may not be malevolent.
> Perhaps one morning when she awakes, she'll discover the truth.
> What is the novel's title?
>
> 7. Ken Kesey's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" has one of the
> most surprising unreliable narrators in literature. He's half
> Native American and appears to be deaf and mute. What is
> his name?
>
> 8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
> mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 9. In the opening line of this Ford Madox Ford novel, American
> Quaker John Dowell says, "This is the saddest story I have
> ever heard". Dowell is either a master manipulator of facts
> or a supremely gullible fellow. What is the novel's title?

The Good Soldier

> 10. Crime novels often employ unreliable narrators. US writer
> Jim Thompson frequently did so. Two of his novels feature
> psychopathic lawmen as unreliable narrators. Name either novel.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

May 2, 2017, 12:19:25 AM5/2/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_uCdnf-gUe8DPpvEnZ2dnUU7-
UHN...@giganews.com:

The New Yorker

> 2. <answer 1> referred to the ghostwriter for Trump's "Art of the
> Deal" as a "former journalist" once the book came out. Last year
> the ghostwriter publicly regretted his work on the 1987 book
> and spoke out against Trump. Name him.
>
> 3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
> wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.

Marla Maples

> 4. Family man Trump has fathered at least five children with three
> different women. What is the first name of the daughter he
> fathered with <answer 3>?

Tiffany

> 5. Trump has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for six of his business
> properties since 1991. Name any one of these six properties.
> The full name must be exact.

Trump Taj Mahal

> 6. Trump is currently embroiled in lawsuits with two high-profile
> chefs who withdrew from planned restaurants in his new Washington
> hotel because of his comments about Mexican immigrants.
> Name either chef / restaurant owner.
>
> 7. Trump's son-in-law was admitted to Harvard in 1998, shortly
> after his New Jersey real-estate developer father donated
> $2,500,000 to the university. Name the son-in-law.

Jared Kushner

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question: Wnerq'f sngure, Puneyrf Xhfuare, jnf fragraprq
> gb 2 lrnef va cevfba va 2005 sbe gnk rinfvba, jvgarff gnzcrevat,
> naq vyyrtny pnzcnvta pbagevohgvbaf. Jub jnf gur *HF nggbearl*
> va punetr bs gung cebfrphgvba?

Jeff Sessions

> 9. Trump has been praising Julian Assange and WikiLeaks lately.
> In 2010, though, private citizen Trump had a different view.
> What did he say then about what should be done to those
> responsible for WikiLeaks? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
> for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
> a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
> last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
> used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?

Central Park 5

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Mark Brader

May 3, 2017, 10:42:20 PM5/3/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-16,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction

> Unreliable narrators have had a long tradition in literature.
> They're characters whose credibility has been compromised and
> whose telling of the tale should be suspect.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and the
fourth-hardest of the entire season.

> 1. Joseph Conrad employed the same unreliable narrator in four of
> his works of fiction: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "Youth",
> and "Chance". What is his name?

Charles Marlow. 4 for Gareth.

> 2. Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights has two unreliable narrators.
> Name one of them. (First or last name.)

Ellen "Nelly" Dean, Mr. Lockwood (his first name is never revealed).
4 for Gareth.

> 3. Oskar Matzerath, who's confined in a mental hospital, is the
> narrator of one of the novels of the German writer Gunter Grass.
> What is the title (in English) of that novel?

"The Tin Drum". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, and Gareth.

> 4. An amateur scholar named Geoffrey Braithwaite, the narrator
> of one of British writer Julian Barnes's novels, is tormented by
> memories of his adulterous wife, whose life support he shut off.
> What is the title of that novel?

"Flaubert's Parrot". 3 for Gareth.

> 5. Husband and wife Nick and Amy serve as dual unreliable narrators
> in this bestselling Gillian Flynn novel. What is its title?

"Gone Girl". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Gareth. 2 for Calvin.

> 6. This novel by S.J. Watson features a near-term amnesiac narrator
> named Christine Lucas, whose husband may or may not be malevolent.
> Perhaps one morning when she awakes, she'll discover the truth.
> What is the novel's title?

"Before I Go to Sleep". 4 for Gareth.

> 7. Ken Kesey's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" has one of the
> most surprising unreliable narrators in literature. He's half
> Native American and appears to be deaf and mute. What is
> his name?

Chief Bromden. 3 for Jason.

> 8. The narrator of Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" labors under a
> mysterious and gross misapprehension. Who is the narrator?
> Be sufficiently specific.

The second Mrs. de Winter. ("Second" was required; again, the rest
of her name is never revealed.) 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> 9. In the opening line of this Ford Madox Ford novel, American
> Quaker John Dowell says, "This is the saddest story I have
> ever heard". Dowell is either a master manipulator of facts
> or a supremely gullible fellow. What is the novel's title?

"The Good Soldier". 4 for Calvin.

> 10. Crime novels often employ unreliable narrators. US writer
> Jim Thompson frequently did so. Two of his novels feature
> psychopathic lawmen as unreliable narrators. Name either novel.

"The Killer Inside Me", "Pop. 1280". 2 for Gareth.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Donald J. Trump

> In just a few days, Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th
> president of the United States. This round isn't about Trump the
> politician, but Trump the businessman and family man. This round
> is so incredible, I promise you, you're going to love it!

> 1. In the late 1980s, this satirical New-York-based magazine
> referred to Trump as a "short-fingered vulgarian". Name the
> magazine.

"Spy". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> 2. <answer 1> referred to the ghostwriter for Trump's "Art of the
> Deal" as a "former journalist" once the book came out. Last year
> the ghostwriter publicly regretted his work on the 1987 book
> and spoke out against Trump. Name him.

Tony Schwartz.

> 3. Trump always says to buy American, but only one of his three
> wives was born in the United States. Give her maiden name.

Marla Maples. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

> 4. Family man Trump has fathered at least five children with three
> different women. What is the first name of the daughter he
> fathered with <answer 3>?

Tiffany. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Trump has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for six of his business
> properties since 1991. Name any one of these six properties.
> The full name must be exact.

Plaza Hotel, Trump Castle, Trump Entertainment Resorts, Trump
Hotels & Casino Resorts, Trump Plaza & Casino, Trump Taj Mahal.
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. Trump is currently embroiled in lawsuits with two high-profile
> chefs who withdrew from planned restaurants in his new Washington
> hotel because of his comments about Mexican immigrants.
> Name either chef / restaurant owner.

José Andrés, Geoffrey Zakarian.

> 7. Trump's son-in-law was admitted to Harvard in 1998, shortly
> after his New Jersey real-estate developer father donated
> $2,500,000 to the university. Name the son-in-law.

Jared Kushner. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

> 8. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question: Jared's father, Charles Kushner, was sentenced
> to 2 years in prison in 2005 for tax evasion, witness tampering,
> and illegal campaign contributions. Who was the *US attorney*
> in charge of that prosecution?

Chris Christie (now governor of New Jersey). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Trump has been praising Julian Assange and WikiLeaks lately.
> In 2010, though, private citizen Trump had a different view.
> What did he say then about what should be done to those
> responsible for WikiLeaks? Be sufficiently specific.

"I think it's disgraceful, there should be like death penalty
or something." (Any reference to execution was sufficient, but
"killed" was insufficiently specific.)

> 10. In 1989 Trump took out a full-page newspaper ad calling
> for the death penalty for a group of young men convicted of
> a notorious rape. They were later exonerated, but Trump said
> last year that he still thinks they're guilty. What name is
> used to refer to these wrongly convicted individuals?

Central Park Five. I decided to score any reference to Central
Park as almost correct, so: 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Joshua and Marc.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Sci Spo Lit Mis FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 27 15 12 27 110
Peter Smyth 20 27 16 28 -- -- 91
Gareth Owen -- -- 24 24 29 0 77
Dan Blum 22 4 20 8 8 24 74
Dan Tilque 19 8 24 12 0 16 71
"Calvin" 22 14 8 22 6 0 66
Pete Gayde 28 6 -- -- 0 20 54
Marc Dashevsky 16 12 -- -- 4 7 39
Erland Sommarskog 18 0 4 16 -- -- 38
Bruce Bowler 16 20 -- -- -- -- 36
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 4 4 3 8 19

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "Well, *somebody* had to say it."

Calvin

May 4, 2017, 12:34:22 AM5/4/17
5 singletons for Gareth must be some sort of record!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 4, 2017, 3:30:25 AM5/4/17
Mark Brader:
>>> * Game 1, Round 7 - Literature - Unreliable Narrators in Fiction

>>> 1... Charles Marlow. 4 for Gareth.
>>> 4... "Flaubert's Parrot". 3 for Gareth.
>>> 6... "Before I Go to Sleep". 4 for Gareth.
>>> 9... "The Good Soldier". 4 for Calvin.
>>> 10... "The Killer Inside Me", "Pop. 1280". 2 for Gareth.

"Calvin":
> 5 singletons for Gareth must be some sort of record!

Hah, interesting point. Well done Gareth! That's not something
I usually look at or keep statistics on, but Calvin piqued my
curiosity there, so I've just been doing some manual data-massaging.

The results are somewhat unreliable because I was simply working from
the text of each of my postings since 2008 when I started doing QFTCI.
I assumed that the format the scores for each question would be what
it usually is, likewise for the subject lines, and so on. Also, if
I posted any corrections to the originally posted results, those would
be missed.

Also, I had to decide what counts as a "singleton". Based on Calvin's
precedent above, I decided that it was any question where only one
entrant scored points, no matter how many. So an "almost correct"
answer on your second of two guesses, for 1 point, was just as good
as the normal 4 points (or 6 on a bonus round), so long as no one else
got any points.

Okay, then, with those caveats...

Gareth's 5 singletons on one round is the highest in the history of
QFTCI -- for anyone except Stephen Perry, who broke his own record
less than 2 months ago.

On 2017-03-19, I posted the results to QFTCIMM16 Game 9, Round 9,
originally played 2016-11-21. It was the hardest round in the
original game and one of the hardest of the entire season. Only
one question was answered by anyone except Stephen -- but Stephen
scored a perfect round, thus including 9 singletons!

The previous record had stood for 4 years. On 2013-01-07 I posted
the results of QFTCIWSSSG Game 5, Round 9, originally played 2012-06-04.
Stephen got a perfect score on that round too, and this included
8 singletons.

For the record before *that*, I posted the results on 2012-08-03.
QFTCIFFF Game 5, Round 2, was originally played on 2012-02-27.
Stephen only got 8 right on that round, but only one correct answer
was given by *anyone* else, so that was 7 singletons. And Stephen
has had 7 singletons on two other occasions since then.

But it's clear where his advantage is: he knows his Canadiana better
than anyone else here. All five of the rounds I just mentioned
were Canadiana rounds. The 9 was on "Canadian Fiction on Film",
the 8 was on "Canadian Inventors", and the three 7's were on
"African-Canadians", "Toronto Streets", and "Canadian Capitals".

Because of the manual work involved, I didn't look to see how many
times Stephen has had 6 singletons -- though I did quasi-accidentally
spot a couple of pairs of current-events rounds where he got
5 singletons on one round and 6 on the other.

Now, so far I've only mentioned standard-length rounds. But in
questions from Finals, with 15 per round, Stephen has *another*
three sets of 7 singletons, and nobody else comes close. This
time only one is a Canadiana round, too. The triples in that round
were:

* The Yukon and Literature
* Prime Ministers of Canada
* Toronto Music Festivals
* Charities and Non-Profit Organizations in Canada
* Newfoundland Premiers Not Named Joey or Danny

But Stephen also got 7 singletons on two "Arts & Literature" rounds
from Finals. The triples in *those* rounds were:

* Posthumous Publishing
* Museum Collections
* Canadian Award Statuettes
* Canadian Photographers
* Born in 1912

* Decomposing Composers
* Book Covers
* Subway Smut
* Ballet Terms
* Flemish Painters

Now you know, or at least, you know as well as I do.
--
Mark Brader | "...it is happening a lot to me recently. almost
Toronto | as if my beliefs are no longer strong enough

swp

May 4, 2017, 6:42:10 PM5/4/17
thank you for the trip down amnesia lane.

swp