QFTCI5EP Game 2, Rounds 4,6: science frauds, 1917

Mark Brader

May 10, 2017, 1:47:35 AM5/10/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes

Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
more frauds and hoaxes.

1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.

3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".

4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
Name the program.

5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
car in 1931. Name the scientist.

6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
"National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
a government minister. In what country did this take place?

7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
Name the BBC series.

8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
"The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
Internet. Name the perpetrator.

9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
(Hint: it's more than one word.)

10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
was it?

* Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917

1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
purchase from Denmark of which islands?

2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
Name her.

3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
people US citizens?

4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.

5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
lives began on 1917-04-09?

7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?

8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
Who was she?

10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to
that date?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: ba gur
frpbaq dhrfgvba, vs lbh bayl tnir gur fheanzr, tb onpx naq nqq
ure svefg anzr.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
m...@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew

Dan Blum

May 10, 2017, 8:26:13 AM5/10/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes

> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

Piltdown Man

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.

Nature; Science

> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".

Cardiff Giant

> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.

Nikola Tesla

> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?

Brazil; India

> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.

Wakefield

> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?

platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917

> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?

US Virgin Islands

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor; Eva Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

US Virgin Islands; Puerto Rico

> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia

> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?

Third Ypres

> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?

Lenin; D'Annunzio

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?

Mata Hari

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

May 10, 2017, 9:09:36 AM5/10/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
> it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
> England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
> German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
> including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
> more frauds and hoaxes.
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?
Piltdown Man
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. In 1999 this magazine held a press conference
> to announce the discovery of the long-sought missing link between
> dinosaurs and birds. With the wings and body of a bird and
> the tail of a dinosaur, what came to be called the "Piltdown
> chicken" was also the subject of an extensive article in the
> same magazine. The magazine published a retraction 5 months
> later and admitted it had been duped. Name the magazine.
National Geographic
> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".
Unicorn
> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
> for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
> faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
> he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
> Name the program.
Bigfoot
> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.
Einstein
> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?
Brazil
> 7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
> series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
> harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
> called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
> Name the BBC series.
Panorama
> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.
>
> 9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
> parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
> created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
> and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
> the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
> of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
> (Hint: it's more than one word.)
Pushmi Pullyu
> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?
Duck Billed Platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?
Aleutian
> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.
Zsa Zsa Gabor
> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?
>
> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.
>
> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?
King Zog of Albania
> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?
Somme
> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?
Lenin
> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?
Atlanta
> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?
Mata Hari
> 10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
> in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to
> that date?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: on the
> second question, if you only gave the surname, go back and add
> her first name.

Marc Dashevsky

May 10, 2017, 10:40:11 AM5/10/17
In article <69ydneepEu_sNI_E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
> it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
> England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
> German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
> including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
> more frauds and hoaxes.
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?
Piltdown Man

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.
>
> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".
Cardiff Giant

> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
> for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
> faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
> he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
> Name the program.
>
> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.
Tesla

> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?
>
> 7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
> series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
> harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
> called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
> Name the BBC series.
dunno, but WGBH Boston would show it on occasion on April 1 in
the '70s.

> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.
>
> 9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
> parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
> created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
> and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
> the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
> of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
> (Hint: it's more than one word.)
I only have one word: mermaid

> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?
platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?
what became the U.S. Virgin Islands

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.
Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?
Puerto Rico

> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.
>
> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?
Tsar Nicolas

> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?
>
> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?
>
> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?
Atlanta

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?
>
> 10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
> in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to
> that date?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: ba gur
> frpbaq dhrfgvba, vs lbh bayl tnir gur fheanzr, tb onpx naq nqq
> ure svefg anzr.

Bruce

May 10, 2017, 10:50:42 AM5/10/17
On Wed, 10 May 2017 00:47:29 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether it's a
> proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century England or the
> "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century German professors
> convinced one of their colleagues were genuine, including perfectly
> preserved copulating frogs. Here are some more frauds and hoaxes.
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles Dawson
> seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes and humans. What
> was this specimen generally called?

Piltdown man

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr gb
> naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq gur gnvy
> bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja puvpxra" jnf nyfb
> gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur fnzr zntnmvar. Gur
> zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq
> orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.

Smithsonian

> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that P.T.
> Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down, he made his
> own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a sucker born every
> minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".

Cardiff Man

> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers for
> Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had faked it
> -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage he had seen
> in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable! Name the
> program.

Alien Autopsy

> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that harnessed
> cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric car in 1931.
> Name the scientist.

Tesla
The Fiji Mermaid

> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by sailors,
> likewise by stitching together parts of different animals. But this
> one was no hoax -- what Australian animal was it?

Platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?
>
> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99. Name
> her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Puerto Rico

> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.
>
> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?
>
> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?
>
> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?
>
> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

Atlanta

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?

Mata Hari

> 10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
> in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to that
> date?

Mont Blanc

Erland Sommarskog

May 10, 2017, 3:13:33 PM5/10/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.

Nature

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Hawaii

> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

Tsar Nikolai II

> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?

Lenin

> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

Charleston, SC

Pete Gayde

May 10, 2017, 3:27:36 PM5/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:69ydneepEu_sNI_EnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
> it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
> England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
> German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
> including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
> more frauds and hoaxes.
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

Piltdown man

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.

Science; Time

> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".

Sasquatch

> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
> for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
> faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
> he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
> Name the program.
>
> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.

Tesla; Edison

> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?

New Guinea; Brazil

> 7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
> series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
> harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
> called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
> Name the BBC series.

Omnibus

> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.

Kaufman

> 9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
> parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
> created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
> and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
> the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
> of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
> (Hint: it's more than one word.)
>
> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?

Wallaby; Emu

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?

U.S. Virgin Islands

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Puerto Rico

> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.

Seattle Sounders

> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

King Charles of Austria-Hungary

> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?

Paschendale; Doian

> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?

Lenin

> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

Galveston

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?

Mata Hari

> 10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
> in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to
> that date?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: ba gur
> frpbaq dhrfgvba, vs lbh bayl tnir gur fheanzr, tb onpx naq nqq
> ure svefg anzr.

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

May 10, 2017, 6:46:09 PM5/10/17
Piltdown Man
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.
In 1999 this magazine held a press conference
> to announce the discovery of the long-sought missing link between
> dinosaurs and birds. With the wings and body of a bird and
> the tail of a dinosaur, what came to be called the "Piltdown
> chicken" was also the subject of an extensive article in the
> same magazine. The magazine published a retraction 5 months
> later and admitted it had been duped. Name the magazine.
Smithsonian?
Zsa Zsa Gabor
> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?
>
> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.
>
> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?
Czar Nicolas II
> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?
>
> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?
Lenin?

Dan Tilque

May 10, 2017, 10:48:31 PM5/10/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
> it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
> England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
> German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
> including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
> more frauds and hoaxes.
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

Piltdown Man

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.
>
> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".
>
> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
> for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
> faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
> he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
> Name the program.
>
> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.

Tesla

> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?

Philippines

> 7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
> series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
> harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
> called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
> Name the BBC series.
>
> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.

Wakefield

> 9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
> parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
> created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
> and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
> the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
> of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
> (Hint: it's more than one word.)
>
> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?

duckbill platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?

US Virgin Islands

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Puerto Rico

> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.
>
> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

Tsar Nicholas II

> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?

Marne

> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?

Lenin ??

> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

Memphis

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

May 10, 2017, 11:25:11 PM5/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:69ydneepEu_sNI_EnZ2dnUU7-
I3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

Piltdown Man

> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".

Cardiff Giant

> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
> for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
> faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
> he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
> Name the program.

"Alien Autopsy"

> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.

Tesla

> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?

Philippines

> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?

platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?

Virgin Islands

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Puerto Rico

> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

Nicholas II of Russia

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?

Mata Hari (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

May 11, 2017, 9:21:11 PM5/11/17
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 3:47:35 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes
>
> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
> it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
> England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
> German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
> including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
> more frauds and hoaxes.
>
> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

Neanderthal

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Va 1999 guvf zntnmvar uryq n cerff pbasrerapr
> gb naabhapr gur qvfpbirel bs gur ybat-fbhtug zvffvat yvax orgjrra
> qvabfnhef naq oveqf. Jvgu gur jvatf naq obql bs n oveq naq
> gur gnvy bs n qvabfnhe, jung pnzr gb or pnyyrq gur "Cvygqbja
> puvpxra" jnf nyfb gur fhowrpg bs na rkgrafvir negvpyr va gur
> fnzr zntnmvar. Gur zntnmvar choyvfurq n ergenpgvba 5 zbaguf
> yngre naq nqzvggrq vg unq orra qhcrq. Anzr gur zntnmvar.

Nature, Science
Mexico, Brazil

> 7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
> series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
> harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
> called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
> Name the BBC series.

Newsnight

> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.
>
> 9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
> parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
> created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
> and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
> the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
> of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
> (Hint: it's more than one word.)
>
> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?

Platypus

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917
>
> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?

Aleutians

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Puerto Rico

> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.
>
> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

Kaiser Wilhelm II

> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?

Messines Ridge?

> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?
>
> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

Buenos Aires, Rio

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?

Mata Hari

> 10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
> in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to
> that date?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 13, 2017, 1:12:30 AM5/13/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-23,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science Frauds and Hoaxes

> Frauds and hoaxes in science have had a long history, whether
> it's a proclaimed perpetual-motion machine in early 19th-century
> England or the "lying stones" (fake fossils) that two 18th-century
> German professors convinced one of their colleagues were genuine,
> including perfectly preserved copulating frogs. Here are some
> more frauds and hoaxes.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. The most famous fraud in paleoanthropology occurred in 1912 and
> lasted 45 years before being definitively disproved. Charles
> Dawson seemingly unearthed the missing link between apes
> and humans. What was this specimen generally called?

Piltdown man. (Also accepting Dawson dawn man.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Peter, Marc, Bruce, Pete, Jason, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. In 1999 this magazine held a press conference
> to announce the discovery of the long-sought missing link between
> dinosaurs and birds. With the wings and body of a bird and
> the tail of a dinosaur, what came to be called the "Piltdown
> chicken" was also the subject of an extensive article in the
> same magazine. The magazine published a retraction 5 months
> later and admitted it had been duped. Name the magazine.

"National Geographic". 4 for Peter.

> 3. This 10-foot specimen was created by George Hull and discovered
> in 1869 in New York State. It drew such large crowds that
> P.T. Barnum tried to purchase it, and when he was turned down,
> he made his own similar fake! A reporter wrote: "There's a
> sucker born every minute", referring to the paying public.
> Both fakes are still on display today. Name this "discovery".

Cardiff Giant. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Joshua. 3 for Bruce.

> 4. This faked film footage was released in 1995 and was aired
> on television in 33 countries. It garnered 11,700,000 viewers
> for Fox TV. In 2007 the creator, Ray Santilli, admitted he had
> faked it -- but insisted it was a re-creation of genuine footage
> he had seen in 1992, which had deteriorated and become unusable!
> Name the program.

"Alien Autopsy". 4 for Bruce and Joshua.

> 5. This scientist is the subject of many hoax stories on the
> Internet, most notably the invention of a "black box" that
> harnessed cosmic energy and was used to power the first electric
> car in 1931. Name the scientist.

Nikola Tesla. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.
3 for Pete.

> 6. In 1971 a government minister claimed to have found a Stone Age
> tribe living in isolation. The Tasaday tribe made the cover of
> "National Geographic" and was the subject of a bestselling book.
> The tribe's location was made into a reserve and declared
> off-limits to preserve its culture -- but in 1986 visiting
> journalists found the tribe living in modern houses. Tribe
> members then admitted they had moved to caves in the previous
> decade and pretended to be Stone Age people under pressure from
> a government minister. In what country did this take place?

Philippines. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 7. As an April Fool's joke in 1957, this famous BBC current-events
> series (still on the air today) showed a family in Switzerland
> harvesting from a "spaghetti tree". Hundreds of British viewers
> called in to find out how they could grow their own pasta.
> Name the BBC series.

"Panorama". 4 for Peter.

> 8. In 1998 this physician published an article in the journal
> "The Lancet" linking autism to the MMR vaccine. It was later
> uncovered that he had altered the data in his studies and had
> taken a bribe from a lawyer planning on suing the vaccine
> manufacturers. The physician was stripped of his medical
> license, but the myth he started has been perpetuated by the
> Internet. Name the perpetrator.

Andrew Wakefield. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 9. This hoax was likely created by sailors stitching together
> parts of two animals. It arrived in New York City in 1842 and
> created a sensation. P.T. Barnum had it on exhibit for a month,
> and museum ticket sales tripled. Despite posters depicting
> the creature's beauty, it was described as the very incarnation
> of ugliness. What was the name of the creature in this hoax?
> (Hint: it's more than one word.)

Feejee Mermaid. Sorry, no points for "mermaid" alone. 4 for Bruce.

> 10. In 1799 the British Museum of Natural History received a
> specimen of a creature that it labeled a hoax perpetrated by
> sailors, likewise by stitching together parts of different
> animals. But this one was no hoax -- what Australian animal
> was it?

(Duck-billed) platypus. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Bruce,
Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Calvin.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - History - Events of 1917

And this was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. On 1917-01-17, the United States finalized its $25,000,000
> purchase from Denmark of which islands?

Danish West Indies -- now the US Virgin Islands. Either answer
was acceptable. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 2. This woman was born on 1917-02-05. Immigrating to the United
> States in 1941, she then went on to become a Hollywood celebrity,
> though more well known for her extravagant lifestyle and numerous
> marriages than her acting ability. She died in 2016 at age 99.
> Name her.

Zsa Zsa Gabor. (Or her real name, Sári Gabor. The first name was
required in either case.) 4 for Peter, Marc, Bruce, Erland, Pete,
Jason, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Calvin. 3 for Dan Blum.

According to the IMDB, she was married 9 times. Her first 7 marriages
varied in duration from about 18 months up to a bit over 6 years;
then her 8th marriage was just 2 days long -- but her 9th one lasted
30 years!

> 3. On 1917-03-02, the US created which territory, making its
> people US citizens?

Puerto Rico. 4 for Marc, Bruce, Pete, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Calvin.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. On 1917-03-26, which now-defunct team became the first US-based
> hockey team to win the Stanley Cup? City and team name required.

Seattle Metropolitans.

In fact, they're the *only* now-defunct US-based team to have won
the Cup. All 14 other US-based winners were, and in each case still
are, NHL teams; but in 1917 the Cup was contested between the two
major leagues then existing, the Pacific Coast Hockey Association and
the National Hockey Association. Over the following decade the NHL
replaced the NHA, then a third major league was started in western
Canada and also contended for the Cup, then the two western leagues
merged, then the merged league folded and the Cup passed into the
control of the NHL.

> 5. Which ruler abdicated the throne on 1917-03-15?

Tsar Nicholas II (Russia). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Jason, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua. 3 for Marc.

> 6. Which 6-day battle that cost more than 6,500 Canadians their
> lives began on 1917-04-09?

Vimy Ridge.

It was part of the Arras offensive and, I hear, not considered an
important part by many outside Canada. For its significance --
or not -- within Canada, see:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/battle-of-vimy-ridge-first-world-war/article34515113/

I don't know why the question and the article give significantly
different numbers of Canadian deaths.

> 7. On 1917-04-16, which man issued his radical April Theses?

Vladimir Lenin. 4 for Peter, Erland, Pete, Jason, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. On 1917-05-21, a great fire swept though which southern American
> city, raging for 10 hours and destroying 1,900 structures?

Atlanta. 4 for Peter, Marc, and Bruce.

> 9. On 1917-10-15, this mother of two was executed in France.
> Who was she?

Mata Hari. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Bruce, Pete, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
and Calvin.

> 10. On 1917-12-06, what was the name of munitions ship that exploded
> in Halifax harbor, creating the largest man-made explosion to
> that date?

Mont Blanc. 4 for Bruce.

It caught fire when it collided with another ship, the Imo.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo Sci His
Marc Dashevsky 24 12 16 19 71
Joshua Kreitzer 4 23 24 20 71
Peter Smyth 0 32 16 16 64
Pete Gayde 4 32 7 20 63
Dan Tilque 4 12 20 24 60
"Calvin" 0 28 4 12 44
Bruce Bowler -- -- 23 20 43
Dan Blum -- -- 20 20 40
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 0 12 28
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 4 12 20

--
Mark Brader | "This is just the result of someone sitting down before
Toronto | a computer and carefully removing his head first.