RQ 241: So Long 2017

Gareth Owen

Jan 2, 2017, 3:01:36 AM1/2/17
Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.

Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.

1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]
2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]
3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]
4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]
5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]
6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]
7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]
8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]
9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]
10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]
12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]
13. The Greatest [Jun 3]
14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]
15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]
16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]
17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]
18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]
19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]
20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]
21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]
22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]
23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]
24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]
25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

Happy New Year!

Mark Brader

Jan 2, 2017, 3:16:20 AM1/2/17
Gareth Owen:
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]

Terry Jones? I hope not.

> 2. *SPOILER*

!!

> Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]

Alan Rickman.

> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]

Marvin Minsky.

> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]

Mario Puzo?

> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

Umberto Eco.

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]

Nancy Reagan.

> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]

Stu Sutcliffe, only it isn't.

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

Rob Ford.

> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]
> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]
> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

Muhammad Ali.

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

Garry Kasparov.

> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]

Gordie Howe.

> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]

Marni Nixon.

> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]

Gene Wilder.

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]

Leonard Cohen?

> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]

Lech Walesa?

> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]

David Bowie?

> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]

Fidel Castro.

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]

Zsa Zsa Gabor.

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

George Michael.

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

Carrie Fisher.

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

Debbie Reynolds.

--
Mark Brader "It's simply a matter of style, and while there
Toronto are many wrong styles, there really isn't any

Dan Tilque

Jan 2, 2017, 5:15:55 AM1/2/17
Gareth Owen wrote:
> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.

Father Mulcahy wasn't notable enough?

> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]
> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]
> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]
> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]
> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

Boutros Boutros-Ghali

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

Umberto Eco

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]

Nancy Reagan

> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]
> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

Rob Ford

> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]
> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]
> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

Muhammed Ali

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

Kasparov

> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]
> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]
> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]

Gene Wilder

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]
> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]
> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]
> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]

Fidel Castro

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]
> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

George Michaels

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

Princess Leia .. er .. Carrie Fisher

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

Debbie Reynolds

> Happy New Year!

What's so happy about it?

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jan 2, 2017, 5:41:40 AM1/2/17
Gareth Owen wrote:

> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for
> us.
>
> Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
> an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
> from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.
>
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]
David Bowie
> 2. SPOILER Snape kills Dumbledore [Jan 14]
Alan Rickman
> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]
> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]
> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]
Boutros Boutros Ghali
> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]
Dario Fo
> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]
Nancy Reagan
> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]
George Martin
> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]
Rob Ford
> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]
> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]
> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]
Muhammad Ali
> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]
Viktor Korchnoi
> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun
> 10]
> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and
> others [Jul 24]
> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco
> Kid [Aug 29]
Gene Wilder
> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]
Leonard Cohen
> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]
Lech Walesa? (though I don't think he is dead)
> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]
Leonard Cohen
> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]
> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]
Zsa Zsa Gabor
> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]
George Michael
> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]
Carrie Fisher
> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]
Debbie Reynolds

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Jan 2, 2017, 8:50:51 AM1/2/17
On 1/2/17 02:01, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.
>
> Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
> an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
> from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.
>
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]
> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]
> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]

Seymour Papert.

> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]
> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]
> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]
> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]
> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]

George Martin.

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]
> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]

Merle Haggard.

> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]

Prince.

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]
> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]
> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]
> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]
> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]
> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]

Arnold Palmer.

Dan Blum

Jan 2, 2017, 9:59:05 AM1/2/17
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]

Quincy Jones

> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]

Alan Rickman

> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]

Marvin Minsky

> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

Boutros-Boutros Ghali

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

Umberto Eco

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]

Nancy Reagan

> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]

Pete Best

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

Rob Ford

> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]

Prince

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

Muhammad Ali

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

Bobby Fischer

> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]

Gene Wilder

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]

Arnold Palmer

> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]

Lech Walesa

> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]

Fidel Castro

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]

Elizabeth Taylor

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

George Michael

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

Carrie Fisher

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

Debie Reynolds

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 2, 2017, 1:02:14 PM1/2/17
In article <87h95hh...@gmail.com>, gwo...@gmail.com says...

> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.
>
> Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
> an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
> from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.
>
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]
> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]
Alan Rickman

> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]
Marvin Minsky

> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]
Abe Vigoda

> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]
Boutris Boutris Ghalli

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]
Humberto Eco

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]
Nancy Reagan

> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]
George Martin

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]
Rob Ford

> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]
Merle Haggard

> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]
Prince

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]
Mohammad Ali

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]
> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]
> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]
> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]
Gene Wilder

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]
Arnold Palmer

> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]
> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]
> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]
> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]
Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]
> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]
Carrie Fisher

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]
Debbie Reynolds

> Happy New Year!

Gareth Owen

Jan 2, 2017, 4:43:21 PM1/2/17
The deadline for this quiz is the
first anniversary of the death of Answer #1

Thanks Mark

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 2, 2017, 5:35:49 PM1/2/17
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]

David Bowie.

> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

Botrous Botrous-Ghali

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

Umbeto Eco

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

Rob Ford

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

Muhammed Ali

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

Bobby Fisher

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]

Zsa-Zsa Gabor

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

George Michael

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

Was her name Claire Fisher? (Never heard of her before.)

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

Was it Debbie Reynolds? (Another unknown to me.)

swp

Jan 2, 2017, 5:36:32 PM1/2/17
On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:01:36 AM UTC-5, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.

alcohol and fireworks. and the end of mariah carey's career.

> Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
> an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
> from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.
>
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]

david bowie

> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]

alan rickman

> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]

marvin minsky

> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]

abe "fish" vigoda

> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

boutros boutros-ghali

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

umberto eco

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]

nancy reagan

> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]

brian epstein

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

rob ford

> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]

gary shandling

> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]

merle haggard

> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]

prince

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

muhammed ali aka cassius clay

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

garry kasparov

> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]

gordie howe

> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]

marni nixon

> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]

Gene Wilder

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]

arnold palmer

> 19. Polish-born co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]

shimon peres

> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]

leonard cohen

> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]

fidel castro

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]

zsa zsa gabor

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

george michael

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

carrie fisher

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

debbie reynolds

> Happy New Year!

I wish you peace, health, happiness and prosperity in 2017.

swp, who didn't meet everyone on this list. but far too many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ

Mark Brader

Jan 3, 2017, 12:49:42 AM1/3/17
Gareth Owen:
> The deadline for this quiz is the
> first anniversary of the death of Answer #1

So if I point out that in order to make the quiz title correct it'd
need to be the second anniversary, do I get a bonus point, or do
I lose a point for being cheeky?
--
Mark Brader "This may represent a minor inconvenience ...
Toronto I say 'minor' because I'm not doing the work."

Gareth Owen

Jan 3, 2017, 1:27:58 AM1/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Gareth Owen:
>> The deadline for this quiz is the
>> first anniversary of the death of Answer #1
>
> So if I point out that in order to make the quiz title correct it'd
> need to be the second anniversary, do I get a bonus point, or do
> I lose a point for being cheeky?

Oh, sheesh.

Did I mention that I originally posted it to comp.lang.c++ by mistake?

It's been a long week.

Peter Smyth

Jan 3, 2017, 4:22:26 PM1/3/17
Have any of them entered?

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Jan 4, 2017, 1:37:51 PM1/4/17
"Peter Smyth" <smy...@gmail.com> writes:

> Have any of them entered?

Not as yet. I did send a cancel message almost immediatel, so its
possible it didn't propagate all that far.

Calvin

Jan 8, 2017, 8:34:14 PM1/8/17
On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 6:01:36 PM UTC+10, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.
>
> Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
> an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
> from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.
>
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]

Davy Jones?

> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]

Rickman

> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]
> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]
> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

Boutros Ghali

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

Eco

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]
> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]

Martin

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

Ford

> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]
> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]

Seger?

> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]

Prince

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

Ali

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

Korchnoi

> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun 10]

Howe

> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others [Jul 24]
> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]

Koresh?

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]
> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]

Netyanhu

> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]
> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]

Castro

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]

Gabor

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

Michael

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

Fisher

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

Reynolds

> Happy New Year!

And to you sir.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Jan 15, 2017, 6:08:11 PM1/15/17
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry about the delay - I wanted to see what Dec 31 had in store for us.
>
> Rightly or wrongly, 2016 got the reputation as a year in which we lost
> an inordinate number of beloved people. Please identify these people
> from semi-cryptic clues,listed chronologically by date of death.
>
> 1. Father of film director Duncan Jones [Jan 10]

David Bowie. Jones was originally known as Zowie Bowie. It was
tempting to mark "Davy Jones" as almost-right, but I didn't.
Sorry Calvin.

> 2. *SPOILER* Fancr xvyyf Qhzoyrqber [Jan 14]

Alan Rickman, who played Severus Snape in all 8 Harry Potter movies

> 3. Co-founder of MIT's AI-lab and neural net pioneer [Jan 24]

Marvin Minsky

> 4. Salvatore Tessio [Jan 26]

Abe Vigoda. Tessio was Vigoda's defining role in The Godfather saga

> 5. Egyptian former Secretary-General of the UN [Feb 16]

Boutros Boutros-Ghali

> 6. Italian author of "The Name Of The Rose" [Feb 19]

Umberto Eco

> 7. Former FLOTUS [Mar 6]

Nancy Reagan (for those that don't know FLOTUS is First Lady Of The
United States)

> 8. Former "Fifth Beatle" [Mar 8]

George Martin. Producer and arranger of almost all the Beatles recordings.
Stu Sutcliffe died in 1962, Brian Epstein in 1967 so no points for those.

> 9. Former Mayor of Toronto and crack-cocaine aficionado [Mar 22]

Rob Ford

> 10. "No flipping" [Mar 24]

Garry Shandling. "No flipping" was Larry Sanders' imprecation to
viewers when his show when to commercial

> 11. An Okie, from Muskogee [Apr 6]

Merle Haggard. "Okie from Muskogee" was Haggard's biggest hit, and one
of his worst songs.

> 12. Proprietor of Paisley Park Studios and recording label [Apr 21]

Prince. Paisley Park Studios are in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

> 13. The Greatest [Jun 3]

Muhammad Ali. Boxer, it says here. Never heard of him.

> 14. Chess grand master famous for his duel with Anatoly Karpov [Jun 6]

Viktor Korchnoi. Garry Kasparov is still alive - but he's an outspoken
critic of Vladimir Putin, so lets see what 2017 brings.

> 15. Only actually recorded a goal, an assist and a fight twice [Jun
> 10]

Gordie Howe. Ice Hockey Legend. As seems to come up here often, a goal,
assist and a fight is the "Gordie Howe Hattrick"

> 16. Sang for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Deborah Kerr and others
> [Jul 24]

Marni Nixon. If you've heard Hepburn sing in My Fair Lady, Wood in West
Side Story or Kerr in the King & I, you were actually listening to Nixon.

> 17. Impresario of "Springtime For Hitler", the Waco Kid [Aug 29]

Gene Wilder, in "The Producers" and "Blazing Saddles" respectively

> 18. Iced tea and lemonade [Sep 25]

Arnold Palmer had this non-alcoholic cocktail named after him.

> 19. Polish-bord co-winner of 1994 Nobel Peace Prize [Sep 28]

Shimon Peres - born Szymon Perski in Wiszniew, Poland but emigrated to
Palestine in 1934.

> 20. The patron saint of envy, and the grocer of despair [Nov 7]

Leonard Cohen. Self described as such in the lyrics of "Field Commander Cohen"

> 21. Failed baseball player, failed assassination target [Nov 25]

Fidel Castro.

> 22. Nine time married socialite and actress [Dec 18]

Zsa Zsa Gabor

> 23. Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou [Dec 25]

George Michael - who was a heartthrob for teen girls when I was growing
up. How innocent we were.

> 24. Daughter of #25 [Dec 27]

The divine Carrie Fisher

> 25. Mother of #24 [Dec 28]

The divine Debbie Reynolds
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5

Mark Brader 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15
Dan Tilque 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 10
Peter Smyth 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 14
Don Piven 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
Dan Blum 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 14
Marc Dashevsky 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 16
Erland Sommarskog 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 8
swp 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Calvin 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15

Lots very closely packed around 15/25, but swp is the runaway winner

Mark Brader

Jan 15, 2017, 6:58:08 PM1/15/17
Gareth Owen:
> 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5
>
> Mark Brader 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15

Correct total, wrong details.

> Mark Brader 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15
> Dan Tilque 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 10
> Peter Smyth 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 14
> Don Piven 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
> Dan Blum 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 14
> Marc Dashevsky 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 16
> Erland Sommarskog 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 8
> swp 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
> Calvin 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15

Fixing that (for me only; I haven't checked the others) and sorting:

Stephen Perry 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Marc Dashevsky 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 16
Mark Brader 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15
Calvin 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 15
Peter Smyth 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 14
Dan Blum 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 14
Dan Tilque 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 10
Erland Sommarskog 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 8
Don Piven 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4

Well done, Stephen! I knew I was beaten as soon as I saw your posting.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto / "A computer makes it possible to do, in half an hour,
m...@vex.net / tasks which were completely unnecessary to do before."

Gareth Owen

Jan 15, 2017, 7:12:31 PM1/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Well done, Stephen! I knew I was beaten as soon as I saw your posting.

As soon as I saw it, I knew it wasn't a big deal that I'd neglected to
write the answers down anywhere.

swp

Jan 16, 2017, 1:20:52 AM1/16/17
gracias

I will post the next RQ later today, which is MLK day here in the us. no, that will not be the theme of the quiz.

swp