QFTCICR19 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: bad news, Ireland challenge

Mark Brader

Apr 19, 2019, 8:26:37 PM4/19/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump

In each case name the person described. *Note*: I have left the
round as it was in the original game, so some details may be out
of date, but you must still give the answers that were correct
when the round was originally played.

1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
under oath.

2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
by Trump as the director of the CIA.

3. Name the adult-film actress who says she was paid $130,000 in
hush money not to disclose a 2006 affair she had with Trump.

4. Trump's first White House communications director, he caused
controversy at his first press conference regarding his claims
about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.

5. She was Trump's campaign manager in 2016, and later joined him
in the White House as counselor to the President. In contrast
with her articulate and tireless support of the president, her
husband has been unusually outspoken in his criticism of Trump.

6. Trump is a very firm supporter of the US space program. Which
other member of his administration also actively promotes it,
with public meetings with key members of NASA and others involved
in the program?

7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
"Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
father was not an orange-haired orangutan.

9. He is chief White House correspondent for CNN. After many
testy encounters with Trump, his access to the White House was
temporarily barred in November 2018.

10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round

Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, so what else?

* A. Sports

A1. Stephen Roche is the only Irishman to have won *which
sports contest*?

A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

* B. Entertainment

B1. Name the 1952 movie where John Wayne plays an American
boxer who returns to his native Ireland.

B2. Name the 1996 movie starring Liam Neeson and Julia Roberts
that describes events in the life of the person who would
be the first prime minister of an independent Ireland.

* C. Literature

C1. On permanent display at Trinity College Dublin, this
manuscript describing the New Testament was drawn up in a
Columban monastery around 800. By what name is it usually
known?

C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
"Dracula"?

* D. Geography

D1. The largest lake in the British Isles is in Northern Ireland.
Name it.

D2. Six counties of of the traditional province of Ulster
now form Northern Ireland. Name any one of the *other*
three counties of Ulster, in the republic of Ireland.

* E. History

E1. Name the battle in 1690 where William of Orange defeated
the deposed English King James II.

E2. Born in New York to an Irish mother and Spanish father, this
person became both Prime Minister and President of Ireland.
Who?

* F. Miscellaneous

F1. In what year was the Guinness brewery established?

F2. On the north coast of Country Antrim in Northern Ireland,
near the Giant's Causeway, is which village that gives its
name to a well-known Whiskey distillery?

--
Mark Brader "TeX has found at least one bug in every Pascal
Toronto compiler it's been run on, I think, and at least

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 20, 2019, 2:09:17 PM4/20/19
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:26:37 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump
>
> 1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
> 2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
> before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
> on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
> under oath.

Flynn

> 2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
> by Trump as the director of the CIA.

Mike Pompeo

> 5. She was Trump's campaign manager in 2016, and later joined him
> in the White House as counselor to the President. In contrast
> with her articulate and tireless support of the president, her
> husband has been unusually outspoken in his criticism of Trump.

Kellyanne Conway

> 7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
> "Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
> some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

Michael Moore

> 8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
> hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
> has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
> one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
> father was not an orange-haired orangutan.

Bill Maher

> 9. He is chief White House correspondent for CNN. After many
> testy encounters with Trump, his access to the White House was
> temporarily barred in November 2018.

Jim Acosta

> 10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
> Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

Mueller

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round
>
> Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, so what else?
>
> * A. Sports
>
> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Gaelic Athletic Association

> * B. Entertainment
>
> B1. Name the 1952 movie where John Wayne plays an American
> boxer who returns to his native Ireland.

"The Quiet Man"

> B2. Name the 1996 movie starring Liam Neeson and Julia Roberts
> that describes events in the life of the person who would
> be the first prime minister of an independent Ireland.

"Michael Collins"

> * C. Literature
>
> C1. On permanent display at Trinity College Dublin, this
> manuscript describing the New Testament was drawn up in a
> Columban monastery around 800. By what name is it usually
> known?

Book of Kells

> C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
> "Dracula"?

Bram Stoker

> * E. History
>
> E1. Name the battle in 1690 where William of Orange defeated
> the deposed English King James II.

Battle of the Boyne

> E2. Born in New York to an Irish mother and Spanish father, this
> person became both Prime Minister and President of Ireland.
> Who?

de Valera

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Apr 20, 2019, 5:48:09 PM4/20/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:itCdnV6A19Wq-ifBnZ2dnUU7-
IfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump
>
> In each case name the person described. *Note*: I have left the
> round as it was in the original game, so some details may be out
> of date, but you must still give the answers that were correct
> when the round was originally played.
>
> 1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
> 2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
> before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
> on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
> under oath.

Cohen

> 2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
> by Trump as the director of the CIA.

Pompeo

> 3. Name the adult-film actress who says she was paid $130,000 in
> hush money not to disclose a 2006 affair she had with Trump.

Stormy Daniels

> 4. Trump's first White House communications director, he caused
> controversy at his first press conference regarding his claims
> about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.

Spicer

> 5. She was Trump's campaign manager in 2016, and later joined him
> in the White House as counselor to the President. In contrast
> with her articulate and tireless support of the president, her
> husband has been unusually outspoken in his criticism of Trump.

Kellyanne Conway

> 6. Trump is a very firm supporter of the US space program. Which
> other member of his administration also actively promotes it,
> with public meetings with key members of NASA and others involved
> in the program?

Pence

> 7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
> "Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
> some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

Moore

> 8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
> hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
> has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
> one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
> father was not an orange-haired orangutan.

Maher

> 9. He is chief White House correspondent for CNN. After many
> testy encounters with Trump, his access to the White House was
> temporarily barred in November 2018.

Acosta

> 10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
> Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

Mueller

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round
>
> Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, so what else?
>
> * A. Sports
>
> A1. Stephen Roche is the only Irishman to have won *which
> sports contest*?

Tour de France

> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Gaelic Athletics Association

> * B. Entertainment
>
> B1. Name the 1952 movie where John Wayne plays an American
> boxer who returns to his native Ireland.

The Quiet Man

> B2. Name the 1996 movie starring Liam Neeson and Julia Roberts
> that describes events in the life of the person who would
> be the first prime minister of an independent Ireland.

Michael Collins

> * C. Literature
>
> C1. On permanent display at Trinity College Dublin, this
> manuscript describing the New Testament was drawn up in a
> Columban monastery around 800. By what name is it usually
> known?
>
> C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
> "Dracula"?

Stoker

> * D. Geography
>
> D1. The largest lake in the British Isles is in Northern Ireland.
> Name it.
>
> D2. Six counties of of the traditional province of Ulster
> now form Northern Ireland. Name any one of the *other*
> three counties of Ulster, in the republic of Ireland.

Leinster; Munster

> * E. History
>
> E1. Name the battle in 1690 where William of Orange defeated
> the deposed English King James II.

Hastings

> E2. Born in New York to an Irish mother and Spanish father, this
> person became both Prime Minister and President of Ireland.
> Who?

Eamon De Valera

> * F. Miscellaneous
>
> F1. In what year was the Guinness brewery established?

1756; 1759

> F2. On the north coast of Country Antrim in Northern Ireland,
> near the Giant's Causeway, is which village that gives its
> name to a well-known Whiskey distillery?

Glenfiddich

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 21, 2019, 5:23:42 AM4/21/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump

So it has to be bad news!

> 1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
> 2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
> before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
> on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
> under oath.

Michael Stone

> 2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
> by Trump as the director of the CIA.

Mike Pompeo

> 3. Name the adult-film actress who says she was paid $130,000 in
> hush money not to disclose a 2006 affair she had with Trump.

> 4. Trump's first White House communications director, he caused
> controversy at his first press conference regarding his claims
> about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.

Sean .... (Yeah, I know that first names only is not going to take me
far, but that is all I remember now.)

> 7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
> "Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
> some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

Michael Moore

> 8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
> hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
> has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
> one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
> father was not an orange-haired orangutan.

Zelensky. No wait, that's another TV comedian that may become President
today.

> 10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
> Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

Robert Mueller

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round
>
> * A. Sports
>
> A1. Stephen Roche is the only Irishman to have won *which
> sports contest*?

Tour de France

> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Gaelic Athlets Association

(I would expect it to have a name in Irish, but that cannot be the
answer in an Toronto pub. Which I'm glad for, since I don't know Irish.)

> C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
> "Dracula"?

Bram Stokes

> D2. Six counties of of the traditional province of Ulster
> now form Northern Ireland. Name any one of the *other*
> three counties of Ulster, in the republic of Ireland.

I need to say that these guys seems to have some attraction to
Northern Ireland. I mean, a few rounds ago they asked about Lagan.

Calvin

Apr 21, 2019, 5:28:40 AM4/21/19
On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:26:37 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump
>
> In each case name the person described. *Note*: I have left the
> round as it was in the original game, so some details may be out
> of date, but you must still give the answers that were correct
> when the round was originally played.
>
> 1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
> 2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
> before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
> on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
> under oath.
>
> 2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
> by Trump as the director of the CIA.
>
> 3. Name the adult-film actress who says she was paid $130,000 in
> hush money not to disclose a 2006 affair she had with Trump.

Stormy Daniels

> 4. Trump's first White House communications director, he caused
> controversy at his first press conference regarding his claims
> about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.
>
> 5. She was Trump's campaign manager in 2016, and later joined him
> in the White House as counselor to the President. In contrast
> with her articulate and tireless support of the president, her
> husband has been unusually outspoken in his criticism of Trump.
>
> 6. Trump is a very firm supporter of the US space program. Which
> other member of his administration also actively promotes it,
> with public meetings with key members of NASA and others involved
> in the program?
>
> 7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
> "Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
> some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

Moore

> 8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
> hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
> has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
> one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
> father was not an orange-haired orangutan.
>
> 9. He is chief White House correspondent for CNN. After many
> testy encounters with Trump, his access to the White House was
> temporarily barred in November 2018.
>
> 10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
> Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

Muller

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round
>
> Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, so what else?
>
> * A. Sports
>
> A1. Stephen Roche is the only Irishman to have won *which
> sports contest*?

Tour de France

> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Gaelic Athletic Association

> * B. Entertainment
>
> B1. Name the 1952 movie where John Wayne plays an American
> boxer who returns to his native Ireland.

The Wild Geese

> B2. Name the 1996 movie starring Liam Neeson and Julia Roberts
> that describes events in the life of the person who would
> be the first prime minister of an independent Ireland.

Michael Collins

> * C. Literature
>
> C1. On permanent display at Trinity College Dublin, this
> manuscript describing the New Testament was drawn up in a
> Columban monastery around 800. By what name is it usually
> known?

The Book of Kells

> C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
> "Dracula"?

Stoker

> * D. Geography
>
> D1. The largest lake in the British Isles is in Northern Ireland.
> Name it.
>
> D2. Six counties of of the traditional province of Ulster
> now form Northern Ireland. Name any one of the *other*
> three counties of Ulster, in the republic of Ireland.

Donegal

> * E. History
>
> E1. Name the battle in 1690 where William of Orange defeated
> the deposed English King James II.

Battle of the Boyne

> E2. Born in New York to an Irish mother and Spanish father, this
> person became both Prime Minister and President of Ireland.
> Who?
>

> * F. Miscellaneous
>
> F1. In what year was the Guinness brewery established?

1729

> F2. On the north coast of Country Antrim in Northern Ireland,
> near the Giant's Causeway, is which village that gives its
> name to a well-known Whiskey distillery?

Jamesons?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2019, 6:38:54 AM4/21/19
Mark Brader:
> > ...But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Erland Sommarskog:
> (I would expect it to have a name in Irish, but that cannot be the
> answer in an Toronto pub. Which I'm glad for, since I don't know Irish.)

It does (the initials are CLG), it isn't, so am I, and neither do I.
--
Mark Brader | "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road
Toronto | without having their motives questioned."

Dan Blum

Apr 22, 2019, 9:01:26 PM4/22/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump

> 1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
> 2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
> before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
> on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
> under oath.

Michael Cohen

> 2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
> by Trump as the director of the CIA.

Pompeo

> 3. Name the adult-film actress who says she was paid $130,000 in
> hush money not to disclose a 2006 affair she had with Trump.

Stormy Daniels

> 4. Trump's first White House communications director, he caused
> controversy at his first press conference regarding his claims
> about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.

Scaramucci

> 5. She was Trump's campaign manager in 2016, and later joined him
> in the White House as counselor to the President. In contrast
> with her articulate and tireless support of the president, her
> husband has been unusually outspoken in his criticism of Trump.

Kellyanne Conway

> 6. Trump is a very firm supporter of the US space program. Which
> other member of his administration also actively promotes it,
> with public meetings with key members of NASA and others involved
> in the program?

Pence

> 7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
> "Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
> some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

Michael Moore

> 8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
> hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
> has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
> one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
> father was not an orange-haired orangutan.

Bill Maher

> 10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
> Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

Robert Mueller

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round

> * A. Sports

> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Gaelic Athletic Association

> * B. Entertainment

> B1. Name the 1952 movie where John Wayne plays an American
> boxer who returns to his native Ireland.

The Quiet Man

> * C. Literature

> C1. On permanent display at Trinity College Dublin, this
> manuscript describing the New Testament was drawn up in a
> Columban monastery around 800. By what name is it usually
> known?

Book of Kells

> C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
> "Dracula"?

Bram Stoker

> * E. History

> E1. Name the battle in 1690 where William of Orange defeated
> the deposed English King James II.

Battle of the Boyne

> E2. Born in New York to an Irish mother and Spanish father, this
> person became both Prime Minister and President of Ireland.
> Who?

Eamon de Valera

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Apr 22, 2019, 11:05:10 PM4/22/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-18,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 7 is over and has been won by PETE GAYDE. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - People Connected to Donald Trump

> In each case name the person described. *Note*: I have left the
> round as it was in the original game, so some details may be out
> of date, but you must still give the answers that were correct
> when the round was originally played.

This was the easiest round in the original game, and the 5th-easiest
in the entire season, excluding audio rounds.

> 1. This lawyer and "fixer", employed by Donald Trump starting in
> 2006, has now turned against Trump. He testified recently
> before Congress, and is shortly due to start a prison sentence
> on charges of bank fraud, tax fraud, and lying to Congress
> under oath.

Michael Cohen. 4 for Pete and Dan.

Michael Flynn is to be sentenced for lying to the FBI, not to Congress,
and not for fraud.

> 2. Currently Trump's secretary of state, he was initially appointed
> by Trump as the director of the CIA.

Mike Pompeo. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Erland, and Dan.

> 3. Name the adult-film actress who says she was paid $130,000 in
> hush money not to disclose a 2006 affair she had with Trump.

Stormy Daniels (Stephanie Clifford; accepting either name).
4 for Pete, Calvin, and Dan.

> 4. Trump's first White House communications director, he caused
> controversy at his first press conference regarding his claims
> about the size of Trump's inauguration crowd.

Sean Spicer. 4 for Pete.

> 5. She was Trump's campaign manager in 2016, and later joined him
> in the White House as counselor to the President. In contrast
> with her articulate and tireless support of the president, her
> husband has been unusually outspoken in his criticism of Trump.

Kellyanne Conway. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan.

> 6. Trump is a very firm supporter of the US space program. Which
> other member of his administration also actively promotes it,
> with public meetings with key members of NASA and others involved
> in the program?

Vice-President Mike Pence. 4 for Pete and Dan.

> 7. While the latest documentary by this filmmaker and author,
> "Fahrenheit 11/9", is highly critical of Trump, it also reserves
> some pointed criticism for the Obama administration.

Michael Moore. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Pete, Erland, Calvin,
and Dan.

> 8. This comedian is a relentless critic of Trump. He formerly
> hosted the TV comedy show "politically Incorrect", and now
> has a show with HBO. He often mocks Trump's hairstyle and at
> one point asked for a birth certificate to prove that Trump's
> father was not an orange-haired orangutan.

Bill Maher. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan.

> 9. He is chief White House correspondent for CNN. After many
> testy encounters with Trump, his access to the White House was
> temporarily barred in November 2018.

Jim Acosta. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. This Special Counsel to the FBI is currently investigating
> Russian interference in the 2016 federal election.

Robert Mueller. 4 for everyone.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Ireland Challenge Round

> Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, so what else?

> * A. Sports

> A1. Stephen Roche is the only Irishman to have won *which
> sports contest*?

Tour de France. 4 for Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?

Gaelic Athletic Association. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Calvin, and Dan.
3 for Erland.

If you had been asked this question regarding their name in Irish,
as Erland suggested, the answer would have been that CLG stands for
Cumann Lúthchleas Gael. Incidentally, it took a fair bit of poking
around to find that information on their web site -- it's almost
entirely in English, which is still the de facto national language
of Ireland.

> * B. Entertainment

> B1. Name the 1952 movie where John Wayne plays an American
> boxer who returns to his native Ireland.

"The Quiet Man". 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan.

> B2. Name the 1996 movie starring Liam Neeson and Julia Roberts
> that describes events in the life of the person who would
> be the first prime minister of an independent Ireland.

"Michael Collins". 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> * C. Literature

> C1. On permanent display at Trinity College Dublin, this
> manuscript describing the New Testament was drawn up in a
> Columban monastery around 800. By what name is it usually
> known?

The Book of Kells. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Dan.

> C2. Which Dublin-born author is known for writing the novel
> "Dracula"?

Bram Stoker. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Calvin, and Dan. 3 for Erland.

> * D. Geography

> D1. The largest lake in the British Isles is in Northern Ireland.
> Name it.

Lough Neagh.

> D2. Six counties of of the traditional province of Ulster
> now form Northern Ireland. Name any one of the *other*
> three counties of Ulster, in the republic of Ireland.

Monaghan, Cavan, Donegal. 4 for Calvin.

Leinster and Munster are two of the *other* three traditional
provinces of Ireland, none of which went into Northern Ireland.
(The fourth is Connaught or Connacht.)

> * E. History

> E1. Name the battle in 1690 where William of Orange defeated
> the deposed English King James II.

Battle of the Boyne. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Dan.

The Battle of Hastings was in England, when William I defeated and
killed the English King Harold. And it was in 1066!

> E2. Born in New York to an Irish mother and Spanish father, this
> person became both Prime Minister and President of Ireland.
> Who?

Eamon De Valera. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan.

> * F. Miscellaneous

> F1. In what year was the Guinness brewery established?

1759. 2 for Pete.

At the original game, in my game most of us felt this was an absurdly
hard question -- until one of my teammates pointed out that the
answer was *visible on the wall* in the room where we were playing,
in the form of one of these mirrors:

http://www.houseofguinness.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Guinness-Mirror.jpg

I don't know how many of the other pubs that the league uses would
have such an advertisement, though. Maybe most of them, but as we
just saw, it's not something I'd pay attention to.

> F2. On the north coast of Country Antrim in Northern Ireland,
> near the Giant's Causeway, is which village that gives its
> name to a well-known Whiskey distillery?

Bushmills.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Can Lit Aud Sci Spo Ent Mis Cha SEVEN
Pete Gayde 24 4 16 0 28 36 28 40 26 198
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 36 4 36 4 23 24 28 171
"Calvin" 28 0 16 0 35 0 19 12 28 138
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 4 31 0 12 12 10 73
Dan Blum 12 0 -- -- -- -- -- 32 24 68
Dan Tilque -- -- 8 0 36 -- -- -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader | "Continuing to be predictable, I looked at Wikipedia
Toronto | and saw that some people agree with you

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 23, 2019, 3:26:10 AM4/23/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> A2. The GAA is the major sports organization in Ireland promoting
>> Irish-based sports. In the past it courted controversy by
>> barring membership to members of the British Forces as well
>> those who played or attended any non-Irish games, such as
>> rugby or soccer. But what do the letters GAA stand for?
>
> Gaelic Athletic Association. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Calvin, and Dan.
> 3 for Erland.
>
> If you had been asked this question regarding their name in Irish,
> as Erland suggested, the answer would have been that CLG stands for
> Cumann Lúthchleas Gael. Incidentally, it took a fair bit of poking
> around to find that information on their web site -- it's almost
> entirely in English, which is still the de facto national language
> of Ireland.

It certainly is. I just thought that an organisation with that
focus would have a name in Gaelic only.

But as you say, English is the de facto language in Ireland.