QFTCIUA Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2014, 11:25:37 AM10/28/14
This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
Game 4, Rounds 4,6 (and later with Rounds 7-8) of the same season.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events

1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?

2. ...and of the ALCS?

3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
accessing Rob Ford's medical records?

4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
providing Ebola updates in Ontario.

5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
Who is the chair of the Fed?

8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
country?

9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.

* Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
Memorial in Ottawa.

2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.

3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?

4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
Name either team at that game (city or team name).

5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?

6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.

8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.

9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?

10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
this year. (City or team name.)

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "*I* never have problems distinguishing
m...@vex.net | Peter Seebach and Steve Summit!" -- Steve Summit

Dan Blum

Oct 28, 2014, 11:29:13 AM10/28/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Malala Youfsazi

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

adultery

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Janet Yellen

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

Switzerland; Nepal

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.

Fury

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).

Bruins; Blackhawks

> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?

Breaking Bad

> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

Blackwater

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.

Ben Bradlee

> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.

Oscar de la Renta

> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

Giants

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 28, 2014, 1:08:23 PM10/28/14
In article <T-2dnfAW_cLyKNLJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?
>
> 2. ...and of the ALCS?
>
> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?
>
> 4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
> providing Ebola updates in Ontario.
>
> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.
>
> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?
blasphemy

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?
Yellen

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?
Nepal

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.
iWatch

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.
Fury

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.
>
> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?
>
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).
>
> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?
Breaking Bad

> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.
Blackwater

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.
Bradlee

> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.
de la Renta

> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?
>
> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)
Giants

Peter Smyth

Oct 28, 2014, 3:57:08 PM10/28/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?
>
> 2. ...and of the ALCS?
>
> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?
>
> 4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
> providing Ebola updates in Ontario.
>
> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.
Malala Yousufzai
> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?
Blasphemy
> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?
>
> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?
Nepal
> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.
>
> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.
>

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.
>
> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?
Malala Yousufzai
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).
Maple Leafs
> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?
Breaking Bad
> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.
>
> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.
>
> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.
>
> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?
>
> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)
Royals

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 28, 2014, 4:48:03 PM10/28/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?

Toronto General Hospital

> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Malala Yousufzai

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

Being Christian?

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Janet Yullen

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

Nepal

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

iPhone 6

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.

Fury

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).

Detroit Red Wings

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 28, 2014, 8:13:52 PM10/28/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:T-2dnfAW_cLyKNLJnZ2dnUU7-
QGd...@vex.net:

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Malala Yousufzai

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

blasphemy

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Janet Yellen

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.

"St. Vincent"; "Fury"

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?

Malala Yousufzai

> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).

Pittsburgh

> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?

"Breaking Bad"

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.

Ben Bradlee

> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.

Oscar de la Renta

> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

Kansas City

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 28, 2014, 10:14:27 PM10/28/14
St. Vincent

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.
>
> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?
>
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).
>
> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?
Breaking Bad
> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.
Blackwater
> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.
>
> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.

> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?
>
> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)
San Francisco Giants

Jeffrey Turner

Oct 28, 2014, 10:40:13 PM10/28/14
On 10/28/2014 11:25 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?
>
> 2. ...and of the ALCS?
>
> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?
>
> 4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
> providing Ebola updates in Ontario.
>
> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Malalai Yousafzai

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?
>
> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Yellen

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

China

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

Six and Six Plus

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.
>

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.
>
> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?
>
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).
>
> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?

Breaking Bad

> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

Blackwater (Xe)

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.

Bradley

> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.
>
> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?
>
> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

San Francisco, Kansas City

--Jeff

Mark Brader

Oct 29, 2014, 12:48:10 AM10/29/14
Mark Brader:
>> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
>> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?

Erland Sommarskog:
> Toronto General Hospital

Wrong, but it is a real hospital -- as a matter of interest, were you just
did you making up a name or did you know that?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Defendant's speech ends in long sentence"
m...@vex.net | --Minneapolis Tribune, February 25, 1981

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 29, 2014, 5:35:45 AM10/29/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>>> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
>>> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Toronto General Hospital
>
> Wrong, but it is a real hospital -- as a matter of interest, were you just
> did you making up a name or did you know that?

I was of course a wild guess using a likely name for a hospital in Toronto.

Pete

Oct 29, 2014, 7:40:04 PM10/29/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:T-2dnfAW_cLyKNLJnZ2dnUU7-
QGd...@vex.net:

> This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
> Game 4, Rounds 4,6 (and later with Rounds 7-8) of the same season.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?

Bumgarner

> 2. ...and of the ALCS?

Hosmer; Gordon

> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?
>
> 4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
> providing Ebola updates in Ontario.
>
> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Malala

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

Blasphemy

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?
>
> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

Nepal

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

iPhone 6

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.

Fury

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.

Cirillo

> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?
>
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).

Red Wings; Sabers

> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?

Breaking Bad

> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

Blackwater

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.

Bradlee

> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.

Oscar de la Renta

> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?
>
> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

Kansas City Royals

Pete

Rob Parker

Oct 30, 2014, 6:52:42 PM10/30/14

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?

Toronto General Hospital

> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Malala Yousfazi

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

Blasphemy

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Janet Yellen

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

Nepal

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

iPhone 6+

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.

Nathan Cerillo

> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?

Malala Yousfazi>

> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).

Boston

> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

Blackwater

> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?

Ottawa

> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

Philadelphia

Rob

Mark Brader

Oct 30, 2014, 8:57:07 PM10/30/14
Mark Brader:
>> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
>> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?

Rob Parker:
> Toronto General Hospital

As I noted to Erland, that is a real hospital. As a matter of interest,
were you just making up a likely name or did you know it was real?
--
Mark Brader | "But this still doesn't explain spousal resemblance
Toronto | in earlobe length, which is only rarely cited as a

Dan Tilque

Oct 31, 2014, 6:44:36 AM10/31/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?
>
> 2. ...and of the ALCS?
>
> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?
>
> 4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
> providing Ebola updates in Ontario.
>
> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.
>
> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?
>
> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Yellen

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

Nepal

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

iPhone 6

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.
>

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.
>
> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.
>
> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?
>
> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).
>
> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?
>
> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

Blackwater

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.
>
> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.
>
> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?
>
> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

San Francisco Giants (who won it yesterday)

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2014, 10:35:22 AM10/31/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.... For further
> information see my companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2014-10-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. In Major League Baseball, who was named MVP of the NLCS?

Madison Bumgarner. 4 for Pete.

> 2. ...and of the ALCS?

Lorenzo Cain.

> 3. Employees of which hospital were disciplined for inappropriately
> accessing Rob Ford's medical records?

Mt. Sinai.

Erland and, apparently, Rob just made up a likely name of a hospital
in Toronto and came out across the street from the correct answer.

> 4. Name either the federal or the provincial health minister
> providing Ebola updates in Ontario.

Rona Ambrose, Eric Hoskins.

> 5. Two people were named Nobel Peace Prize winners. Name either.

Kailash Satvarthi, Malala Yousafzai ("Malala" was sufficient).
4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Joshua, Jeff, Pete, and Rob.

> 6. A Pakistani court upheld the death sentence of Asia Bibi, a
> 50-year-old Christian mother of five. What was she convicted of?

Blasphemy. Specifically, Muslim women told a cleric in her
village that she had made "derogatory comments" about the Prophet.
4 for Marc, Peter, Joshua, Pete, and Rob.

> 7. Stock markets tumbled, then surged when the US's central bank,
> the Federal Reserve, hinted that it may provide more stimulus.
> Who is the chair of the Fed?

Janet Yellen. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Joshua, Jeff, Rob,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Several Canadian hikers were swept up in an avalanche in what
> country?

Nepal. 4 for Marc, Peter, Erland, Pete, Rob, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.

iPad *Air* 2, *Retina* iMac. (The emphasized word is required.)

The iPhone 6? That was *so* last month.

> 10. Bill Murray and Brad Pitt debuted new movies; name either.

"St. Vincent", "Fury" (respectively). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland,
Joshua (the hard way), Jason, and Pete.

> * Game 6 (2014-10-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Name the Canadian Army reservist killed at the National War
> Memorial in Ottawa.

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo. 4 for Pete and Rob.

> 2. Name the sergeant-at-arms who killed the Ottawa shooter.

Kevin Vickers.

> 3. The shooting led to the postponement of an honorary citizenship
> ceremony in Toronto for what young foreign dignitary?

Again, Malala Yousafzai (and again, "Malala" was sufficient).
4 for Peter, Joshua, and Rob.

> 4. The night of the shooting, an NHL arena in the US got the
> crowd to sing "O Canada" and flashed red maple leafs on the ice.
> Name either team at that game (city or team name).

Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. On another note, in response to outraged parents Toys'R'Us
> pulled four action figures based on what AMC TV series?

"Breaking Bad". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Jeff,
and Pete.

> 6. Name the security firm, some say private army, whose former
> employees were convicted of killing 14 Iraqis in Baghdad in 2007.

Blackwater. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Jason, Jeff, Pete, Rob,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Name the legendary newspaperman who died Tuesday at 93. Among
> other things in his notable career, he fought the US government
> over publishing the Pentagon Papers, and he shepherded the
> Washington Post's coverage of Watergate.

Ben Bradlee. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Jeff, and Pete.

> 8. Name the fashion icon that died this week at 82.

Oscar de la Renta. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Police charged a woman after the remains of six babies were
> found in a storage locker in which Canadian city?

Winnipeg.

> 10. The opening game of baseball's World Series had the lowest
> ratings ever. Name either of the teams playing in the series
> this year. (City or team name.)

Kansas City Royals, San Francisco Giants. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc,
Peter, Joshua, Jason, Jeff (the hard way), Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 16 14 10 20 16 24 76
Marc Dashevsky 16 8 0 16 16 20 68
Pete Gayde -- -- 0 16 20 24 60
Rob Parker 16 6 4 12 16 12 56
Dan Blum 8 13 4 8 14 20 55
Peter Smyth 15 12 4 4 12 12 51
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 0 16 16 0 48
Jeff Turner 12 4 -- -- 8 16 40
Jason Kreitzer 8 0 8 8 4 12 36
Dan Tilque 12 8 0 4 8 8 36

--
Mark Brader | "...given time, a generally accepted solution to
Toronto | this problem will evolve, as it has in the past for
| no-one has even dreamt of yet." -- Andrew Lawrence

Rob Parker

Oct 31, 2014, 6:42:25 PM10/31/14
Just a guess - CITY General Hospital seems to be pretty common in North
America

Rob

"Mark Brader" <m...@vex.net> wrote in message

Rob Parker

Oct 31, 2014, 6:45:22 PM10/31/14

>> 9. Name either of the two devices Apple unveiled.
>
> iPad *Air* 2, *Retina* iMac. (The emphasized word is required.)
>
> The iPhone 6? That was *so* last month.

Well, I'm *so* old, it seems so new ;-)

Rob