QFTCIWSS Game 5, Rounds 9-10: NBA draft, fathers

Mark Brader

Sep 18, 2018, 6:20:40 PM9/18/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft

The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.

1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

3. The Toronto Raptors drafted DeMar DeRozan 9th overall in the
first round -- in what year?

4. DeMar's fellow Raptor Kyle Lowry was drafted in 2006 by the
Houston Rockets. The Toronto Raptors had the #1 overall pick
that year, the only time in the team's history that they did.
Who did they draft with it?.

5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.

6. The 1984 draft is widely considered to be one of the best
drafts in NBA history; in addition to Jordan and <answer 6>,
it also produced two more Hall of Fame players, both of whom
were members of the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team". Name either one.

7. Steve Francis, after being drafted in 1999, publicly refused to
play for the team that drafted him, claiming it was "God's will"
that he not play for them. What team was that? You must give
the city name where they were playing *then* -- they would move
less than 5 years later.

8. This player, drafted with the 60th and final pick of his draft,
is the lowest-drafted player ever to be named to both the
All-Star and All-NBA teams. At 5'9", he is also the shortest
player to ever make an All-NBA team. Who?

9. LeBron James was drafted first overall in the same year that
teams drafted Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, David
West, Chris Kaman, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, and Kyle Korver
-- all of whom have been All-Stars. In what year was this
remarkably talented draft?

10. The Toronto Raptors did not actually draft Vince Carter.
Instead, in 1998, they drafted Antawn Jamison with the fourth
pick -- and then immediately traded Jamison to the Pacific
Division team that had drafted Carter with the fifth pick.
Name that team.

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?

In honor of Father's Day...

* A. Political Fathers and Daughters

A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
the original name of this party?

A2. This Canadian politician was the first Roman Catholic
mayor of Hamilton, and sparked outrage among the city's
Protestants when he abolished the annual Orange Parade.
His daughter entered federal politics, and in 1987 became the
first person to give birth while in office as a Canadian MP.
What is this family's name?

* B. Musical Fathers and Daughters

B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
"simple" premise. What is their surname?

B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
He died in 2012. Name him.

* C. Athletic Families

C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
of their own. Name the family.

C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
Name the family.

* D. Fathers of Science

D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
"father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
his name?

* E. Literary Dynasties

E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
"Fathers and Sons". Name the family.

E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
"The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
he publishes under what pen name?

* F. Fashionable Families

F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
century they have successfully sued a number of American
retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
of the fashion line.

F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
Name the company.

--
Mark Brader | "Do UNIX users ever think about the fact that most of
Toronto | their financial dealings are processed in languages that

Dan Blum

Sep 18, 2018, 8:58:21 PM9/18/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft

And it was going so well...

> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

3; 4

> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

1960; 1970

> 5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
> time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
> instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
> spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.

Barkley; O'Neal

> 6. The 1984 draft is widely considered to be one of the best
> drafts in NBA history; in addition to Jordan and <answer 6>,
> it also produced two more Hall of Fame players, both of whom
> were members of the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team". Name either one.

O'Neal; Barkley

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?

> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters

> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?

National Front

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters

> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?

Ritchie

> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.

Ravi Shankar

> * C. Athletic Families

> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
> of their own. Name the family.

Alou

> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

Earnhardt

> * D. Fathers of Science

> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Ampere

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?

Robert Goddard

> * E. Literary Dynasties

> E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
> four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
> influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
> first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
> sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
> The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
> In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
> "Fathers and Sons". Name the family.

Waugh

> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?

Joe Hill

> * F. Fashionable Families

> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

Fendi

> F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
> patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
> for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
> opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
> company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
> 23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
> eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
> Name the company.

Fendi

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Sep 18, 2018, 10:01:36 PM9/18/18
On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:20:40 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft

Pass

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?
>
> In honor of Father's Day...
>
> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters
>
> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?
>
> A2. This Canadian politician was the first Roman Catholic
> mayor of Hamilton, and sparked outrage among the city's
> Protestants when he abolished the annual Orange Parade.
> His daughter entered federal politics, and in 1987 became the
> first person to give birth while in office as a Canadian MP.
> What is this family's name?
>

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters
>
> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?

Ritchie

> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.

Shankar

> * C. Athletic Families
>
> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
> of their own. Name the family.
>
> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

Unser

> * D. Fathers of Science
>
> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Becquerel

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?
>

> * E. Literary Dynasties
>
> E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
> four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
> influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
> first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
> sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
> The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
> In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
> "Fathers and Sons". Name the family.

Waugh

> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?
>

> * F. Fashionable Families
>
> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

Gucci

> F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
> patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
> for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
> opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
> company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
> 23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
> eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
> Name the company.

Benneton

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 19, 2018, 3:57:29 PM9/19/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft

Hope.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?
>
> In honor of Father's Day...
>
> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters
>
> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters
>
> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?

Rodgers

> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.

Ravi Shankar

> * D. Fathers of Science
>
> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Ampère

> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

Prada

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 19, 2018, 9:37:35 PM9/19/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:zOKdnVFtrb6u5zzGnZ2dnUU7-
QnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft
>
> The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.
>
> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

2

> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

1960; 1967

> 5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
> time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
> instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
> spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.

Olajuwon

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?
>
> In honor of Father's Day...
>
> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters
>
> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?

Front National

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters
>
> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?

Richie

> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.

Ravi Shankar

> * C. Athletic Families
>
> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

Andretti

> * D. Fathers of Science
>
> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Coulomb

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?

Goddard

> * E. Literary Dynasties
>
> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?

Joe Hill

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Sep 19, 2018, 10:16:20 PM9/19/18
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:20:40 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft
>
> The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.
>
> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

2

> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

1948

> 3. The Toronto Raptors drafted DeMar DeRozan 9th overall in the
> first round -- in what year?

2009

> 4. DeMar's fellow Raptor Kyle Lowry was drafted in 2006 by the
> Houston Rockets. The Toronto Raptors had the #1 overall pick
> that year, the only time in the team's history that they did.
> Who did they draft with it?.

bargnani

> 5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
> time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
> instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
> spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.

akeem olajuwon

> 6. The 1984 draft is widely considered to be one of the best
> drafts in NBA history; in addition to Jordan and <answer 6>,
> it also produced two more Hall of Fame players, both of whom
> were members of the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team". Name either one.

charles barkley

> 7. Steve Francis, after being drafted in 1999, publicly refused to
> play for the team that drafted him, claiming it was "God's will"
> that he not play for them. What team was that? You must give
> the city name where they were playing *then* -- they would move
> less than 5 years later.

vancouver grizzlies

> 8. This player, drafted with the 60th and final pick of his draft,
> is the lowest-drafted player ever to be named to both the
> All-Star and All-NBA teams. At 5'9", he is also the shortest
> player to ever make an All-NBA team. Who?

isaiah thomas

> 9. LeBron James was drafted first overall in the same year that
> teams drafted Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, David
> West, Chris Kaman, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, and Kyle Korver
> -- all of whom have been All-Stars. In what year was this
> remarkably talented draft?

2003

> 10. The Toronto Raptors did not actually draft Vince Carter.
> Instead, in 1998, they drafted Antawn Jamison with the fourth
> pick -- and then immediately traded Jamison to the Pacific
> Division team that had drafted Carter with the fifth pick.
> Name that team.

golden state warriors

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?
>
> In honor of Father's Day...
>
> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters
>
> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?

front national

> A2. This Canadian politician was the first Roman Catholic
> mayor of Hamilton, and sparked outrage among the city's
> Protestants when he abolished the annual Orange Parade.
> His daughter entered federal politics, and in 1987 became the
> first person to give birth while in office as a Canadian MP.
> What is this family's name?

cops?

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters
>
> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?

richie

> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.

ravi shankar

> * C. Athletic Families
>
> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
> of their own. Name the family.

alou

> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

andretti

> * D. Fathers of Science
>
> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

maxwell

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?

goddard

> * E. Literary Dynasties
>
> E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
> four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
> influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
> first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
> sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
> The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
> In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
> "Fathers and Sons". Name the family.

waugh

> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?

joe hill

> * F. Fashionable Families
>
> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

fendi

> F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
> patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
> for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
> opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
> company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
> 23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
> eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
> Name the company.

ferragamo

swp

Dan Tilque

Sep 20, 2018, 10:32:27 PM9/20/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft
>
> The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.
>
> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

2

> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

1952

> 3. The Toronto Raptors drafted DeMar DeRozan 9th overall in the
> first round -- in what year?
>
> 4. DeMar's fellow Raptor Kyle Lowry was drafted in 2006 by the
> Houston Rockets. The Toronto Raptors had the #1 overall pick
> that year, the only time in the team's history that they did.
> Who did they draft with it?.
>
> 5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
> time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
> instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
> spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.

Hakeem Olajuwon

> 6. The 1984 draft is widely considered to be one of the best
> drafts in NBA history; in addition to Jordan and <answer 6>,
> it also produced two more Hall of Fame players, both of whom
> were members of the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team". Name either one.

Clyde Drexler

> 7. Steve Francis, after being drafted in 1999, publicly refused to
> play for the team that drafted him, claiming it was "God's will"
> that he not play for them. What team was that? You must give
> the city name where they were playing *then* -- they would move
> less than 5 years later.

Vancouver Grizzlies

> 8. This player, drafted with the 60th and final pick of his draft,
> is the lowest-drafted player ever to be named to both the
> All-Star and All-NBA teams. At 5'9", he is also the shortest
> player to ever make an All-NBA team. Who?

Isaiah Thomas
Bonds

> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

Andretti

> * D. Fathers of Science
>
> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Ampere

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?

Goddard

> * E. Literary Dynasties
>
> E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
> four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
> influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
> first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
> sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
> The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
> In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
> "Fathers and Sons". Name the family.
>
> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?
>

> * F. Fashionable Families
>
> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

Gucci

> F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
> patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
> for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
> opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
> company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
> 23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
> eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
> Name the company.

Gucci

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Sep 20, 2018, 11:48:18 PM9/20/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:zOKdnVFtrb6u5zzGnZ2dnUU7-
QnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft
>
> The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.
>
> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

6; 5

> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

1957; 1964

> 3. The Toronto Raptors drafted DeMar DeRozan 9th overall in the
> first round -- in what year?
>
> 4. DeMar's fellow Raptor Kyle Lowry was drafted in 2006 by the
> Houston Rockets. The Toronto Raptors had the #1 overall pick
> that year, the only time in the team's history that they did.
> Who did they draft with it?.
>
> 5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
> time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
> instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
> spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.
>
> 6. The 1984 draft is widely considered to be one of the best
> drafts in NBA history; in addition to Jordan and <answer 6>,
> it also produced two more Hall of Fame players, both of whom
> were members of the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team". Name either one.

Barkley

> 7. Steve Francis, after being drafted in 1999, publicly refused to
> play for the team that drafted him, claiming it was "God's will"
> that he not play for them. What team was that? You must give
> the city name where they were playing *then* -- they would move
> less than 5 years later.

Seattle Supersonics

> 8. This player, drafted with the 60th and final pick of his draft,
> is the lowest-drafted player ever to be named to both the
> All-Star and All-NBA teams. At 5'9", he is also the shortest
> player to ever make an All-NBA team. Who?

Archibald

> 9. LeBron James was drafted first overall in the same year that
> teams drafted Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, David
> West, Chris Kaman, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, and Kyle Korver
> -- all of whom have been All-Stars. In what year was this
> remarkably talented draft?

2004; 2005
Ravi Shankar

> * C. Athletic Families
>
> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
> of their own. Name the family.
>
> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

Andretti

> * D. Fathers of Science
>
> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Ampere

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?

Goddard

> * E. Literary Dynasties
>
> E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
> four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
> influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
> first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
> sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
> The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
> In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
> "Fathers and Sons". Name the family.
>
> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?
>

> * F. Fashionable Families
>
> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

Gucci

> F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
> patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
> for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
> opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
> company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
> 23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
> eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
> Name the company.

Gucci

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 22, 2018, 9:10:14 PM9/22/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and DAN BLUM has a big win. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft

> The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.

In the original game this was the hardest round in the game and the
second-hardest of the season.

> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?

2. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?

1950 (accepting 1947-53). 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The Toronto Raptors drafted DeMar DeRozan 9th overall in the
> first round -- in what year?

2009. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. DeMar's fellow Raptor Kyle Lowry was drafted in 2006 by the
> Houston Rockets. The Toronto Raptors had the #1 overall pick
> that year, the only time in the team's history that they did.
> Who did they draft with it?.

Andrea Bargnani. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all
> time, was not drafted first overall in 1984; that honor went
> instead to this fellow Hall of Fame player, known for his
> spinning-fakeout post attack named the "Dream Shake". Name him.

Hakeem Olaujuwon. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The 1984 draft is widely considered to be one of the best
> drafts in NBA history; in addition to Jordan and <answer 6>,
> it also produced two more Hall of Fame players, both of whom
> were members of the 1992 Olympic "Dream Team". Name either one.

Charles Barkley, John Stockton. 4 for Stephen and Pete.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Steve Francis, after being drafted in 1999, publicly refused to
> play for the team that drafted him, claiming it was "God's will"
> that he not play for them. What team was that? You must give
> the city name where they were playing *then* -- they would move
> less than 5 years later.

Vancouver Grizzlies. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This player, drafted with the 60th and final pick of his draft,
> is the lowest-drafted player ever to be named to both the
> All-Star and All-NBA teams. At 5'9", he is also the shortest
> player to ever make an All-NBA team. Who?

Isaiah Thomas. 4 for Stephen and Dan Tilque.

> 9. LeBron James was drafted first overall in the same year that
> teams drafted Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, David
> West, Chris Kaman, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, and Kyle Korver
> -- all of whom have been All-Stars. In what year was this
> remarkably talented draft?

2003. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. The Toronto Raptors did not actually draft Vince Carter.
> Instead, in 1998, they drafted Antawn Jamison with the fourth
> pick -- and then immediately traded Jamison to the Pacific
> Division team that had drafted Carter with the fifth pick.
> Name that team.

Golden State Warriors. 4 for Stephen.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?

> In honor of Father's Day...

> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters

> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?

Front national (National Front). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> A2. This Canadian politician was the first Roman Catholic
> mayor of Hamilton, and sparked outrage among the city's
> Protestants when he abolished the annual Orange Parade.
> His daughter entered federal politics, and in 1987 became the
> first person to give birth while in office as a Canadian MP.
> What is this family's name?

Copps. (Vic and Sheila.) 4 for Stephen.

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters

> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?

Richie (Lionel and Nicole). 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua,
and Stephen.

> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.

Ravi Shankar. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Erland, Joshua, Stephen,
and Pete.

> * C. Athletic Families

> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
> of their own. Name the family.

Alou. (Felipe, Moises, Matty, Jesus.) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> C2. The need for speed is deeply ingrained in this family.
> The father was the only driver to win races in Formula 1,
> IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR among
> others. His two sons followed in his footsteps, as did
> the sons of his twin brother. Currently his grandson
> is the family's third generation of IndyCar drivers.
> Name the family.

Andretti. (Mario, Michael, Jeff, John, Adam, Michael.) 4 for Joshua,
Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * D. Fathers of Science

> D1. This French physicist and mathematician is considered the
> "father of classical electromagnetism", which he referred
> to as electrodynamics. The SI unit of electric current is
> named after him, and his is one of 72 names inscribed in
> the Eiffel Tower. Name him.

Andre-Marie Ampère. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> D2. This engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor, who died
> in 1945, is considered the American "father of rocketry",
> having created the world's first liquid-fueled rocket.
> In 1920 a New York Times editorial derided him for believing
> that a rocket could function in a vacuum, but they did print
> a correction -- after the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969.
> NASA's Space Flight Center is named after him. What was
> his name?

Robert H. Goddard, who was also a $1,600 answer on "Jeopardy!"
yesterday for the same achievement. (Sadly, none of the players
on the show tried this one.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * E. Literary Dynasties

> E1. This prolific family has been producing writers for
> four generations. The patriarch, Arthur, became a highly
> influential columnist, publisher and author, and wrote the
> first biography of Alfred Lord Tennyson in 1892. His two
> sons continued his legacy with bestsellers such as "Island In
> The Sun", "A Handful of Dust", and "Brideshead Revisited".
> In 2004 the great-grandson published a family autobigraphy,
> "Fathers and Sons". Name the family.

Waugh. (Arthur, Alec, Evelyn, Alexander.) 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin,
and Stephen.

> E2. Horror master Stephen King's eldest son is a successful
> author in his own right, publishing books such as "Horns",
> "The Fireman", and the comic book series "Locke and Key".
> Perhaps not wanting to ride on his father's coattails,
> he publishes under what pen name?

Joe Hill. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> * F. Fashionable Families

> F1. In 1925, the patriarch of this successful fashion family
> launched the line with his wife in Rome. Today, each of the
> couple's five daughters heads up a division of the company:
> eyewear, fragrances, leather goods, shoes, and furs. In this
> century they have successfully sued a number of American
> retailers -- sometimes for dollar amounts in 8 digits --
> for selling knockoffs of their products, including their
> iconic handbags. Name the family, which is also the name
> of the fashion line.

Fendi. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> F2. This, ah, *well-heeled* dynasty was founded when the
> patriarch opened the Hollywood Boot Shop in 1923, cobbling
> for movie stars. He later returned to his native Italy and
> opened a shoe shop there. That shop is still a family-owned
> company, whose owners include his widow, 5 children, and
> 23 grandchildren. In addition to shoes, they also make
> eyewear, perfume, belts, scarves, bags, and watches.
> Name the company.

Ferragamo. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Can Aud His Mis Geo Spo Cha SEVEN
Dan Blum 32 28 4 20 35 24 18 2 36 193
Dan Tilque 36 16 4 0 24 24 32 20 12 164
Joshua Kreitzer 36 28 3 20 32 16 8 8 24 164
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- 32 24 40 44 140
"Calvin" 29 32 0 16 22 8 17 0 12 136
Peter Smyth 16 36 0 28 16 -- -- -- -- 96
Pete Gayde 24 4 0 4 18 12 14 4 16 92
Bruce Bowler 32 4 -- -- -- 28 12 -- -- 76
Jason Kreitzer 24 8 0 28 4 -- -- -- -- 64
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 12 20 4 8 0 8 52

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"No, no, Oscar, you forget. When you and I are together, we

Dan Blum

Sep 23, 2018, 10:24:28 AM9/23/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information see
> > my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> Game 5 is over and DAN BLUM has a big win. Hearty congratulations!

Thanks! I owe it all to... well, to Stephen skipping the first six
rounds, probably.

Pete Gayde

Sep 23, 2018, 1:08:26 PM9/23/18

>> * C. Athletic Families
>
>> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
>> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
>> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
>> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
>> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
>> of their own. Name the family.
>
> Alou. (Felipe, Moises, Matty, Jesus.) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

This is incorrect. I would have answered "Alou" but the facts of the
question are wrong.

Felipe, Matty, and Jesus are brothers. Moises is Felipe's son.

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2018, 5:00:51 PM9/23/18
Mark Brader:
>>> * C. Athletic Families
>>
>>> C1. Although the father never made it to the Hall of Fame, he
>>> was a three-time All-Star in 17 seasons as a player, and
>>> as a manager he won National League Manager of the Year
>>> with both the Montreal Expos and San Francisco Giants.
>>> Three of his sons went on to impressive baseball careers
>>> of their own. Name the family.
>>
>> Alou. (Felipe, Moises, Matty, Jesus.) 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

Pete Gayde:
> This is incorrect.

Dang, so it is. Felipe Alou was only Manager of the Year once (with
Montreal), and as Pete says, Matty and Jesus are his brothers, not
his sons.

> I would have answered "Alou" but the facts of the
> question are wrong.

I think they probably do still constitute the closest thing to a correct
answer, so I'll continue to accept it and give 4 points to Pete for this.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Can Aud His Mis Geo Spo Cha SEVEN
Dan Blum 32 28 4 20 35 24 18 2 36 193
Dan Tilque 36 16 4 0 24 24 32 20 12 164
Joshua Kreitzer 36 28 3 20 32 16 8 8 24 164
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- 32 24 40 44 140
"Calvin" 29 32 0 16 22 8 17 0 12 136
Pete Gayde 24 4 0 4 18 12 14 8 16 96
Peter Smyth 16 36 0 28 16 -- -- -- -- 96
Bruce Bowler 32 4 -- -- -- 28 12 -- -- 76
Jason Kreitzer 24 8 0 28 4 -- -- -- -- 64
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 12 20 4 8 0 8 52
--
Mark Brader "If the right people don't have power...
Toronto the wrong people get it... ordinary voters!"

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 23, 2018, 7:42:32 PM9/23/18
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:20:40 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-11,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Sports - The NBA Draft
>
> The annual NBA Draft takes place this week.
>
> 1. How many rounds are there currently in the NBA Draft?
>
> 2. Within 3 years, in what year was the first NBA Draft?
1964
2001?
> 10. The Toronto Raptors did not actually draft Vince Carter.
> Instead, in 1998, they drafted Antawn Jamison with the fourth
> pick -- and then immediately traded Jamison to the Pacific
> Division team that had drafted Carter with the fifth pick.
> Name that team.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Who's Your Daddy?
>
> In honor of Father's Day...
>
> * A. Political Fathers and Daughters
>
> A1. France's Jean-Marie Le Pen founded a far-right political
> party in 1972 which is currently led by his daughter Marine.
> They recently voted to change the party's name. What is
> the original name of this party?
>
> A2. This Canadian politician was the first Roman Catholic
> mayor of Hamilton, and sparked outrage among the city's
> Protestants when he abolished the annual Orange Parade.
> His daughter entered federal politics, and in 1987 became the
> first person to give birth while in office as a Canadian MP.
> What is this family's name?
>

> * B. Musical Fathers and Daughters
>
> B1. He was a founding member of a successful funk and soul
> band in the late 70s and early 80s before moving on to
> an even more successful solo career. His daughter became
> famous for starring in an early 2000s reality show with a
> "simple" premise. What is their surname?
Richie
> B2. The father of singer-songwriter Norah Jones was a composer
> and renowned sitar player, whose associations with Western
> rock stars helped popularize classical Hindustani music.
> He died in 2012. Name him.
Ravi Shankar

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2018, 8:20:52 PM9/23/18
If Jason Kreitzer had posted his answers on time, he would have
scored 0 on Round 9 and 8 on Round 10 for a final score of 72.
--
Mark Brader | "...what can be asserted without evidence
Toronto | can also be dismissed without evidence."

Calvin

Sep 27, 2018, 7:29:32 PM9/27/18
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 7:00:51 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> Dang, so it is. Felipe Alou was only Manager of the Year once (with
> Montreal), and as Pete says, Matty and Jesus are his brothers, not
> his sons.

I want a brother called Jesus!

cheers,
calvin